Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Idk it actually seems really nice, especially for an android. I'd definitely consider getting one to play with while waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out.

It doesn't seem to be missing anything other than quick charging. I'm interested in seeing how the new hardware on G5 and S7 compare to iphone, and if Samsung has managed to fix the multitasking issues. What's the point of 4GB ram if you need to look at loading screens all the time? A windows 10 PC can run a couple of apps no problem with the same amount of ram.

Also that wide angle lens is insane. It's like 10mm equivalent or something like that on a fullframe camera.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

It doesn't seem to be missing anything other than quick charging. I'm interested in seeing how the new hardware on G5 and S7 compare to iphone, and if Samsung has managed to fix the multitasking issues. What's the point of 4GB ram if you need to look at loading screens all the time? A windows 10 PC can run a couple of apps no problem with the same amount of ram.

Also that wide angle lens is insane. It's like 10mm equivalent or something like that on a fullframe camera.

A Windows 10 PC has a swap area it can dump the contents of its RAM into if it needs to make space for another program. Android (and iOS - not sure about Windows 10 Phone) does not do that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Ihmemies posted:

Agreed except quick charging doesn't really matter to me since I either charge overnight or with my car charger to and from work.

Not crazy about the wide angle but I like the concept of having two cameras on the back with discrete uses. Would have preferred to have one regular and one with a 2 or 3x zoomed lens that would interchange seamlessly as I zoomed in with the camera app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Idk it actually seems really nice, especially for an android. I'd definitely consider getting one to play with while waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out.

For a phone you don't plan to keep very long because you're just dipping your toes in the water while waiting for an iPhone 7, the idea isn't bad, but remember that it will exhibit one of the worst parts of Android...an inconsistent software/OS update experience, because it's not a Nexus.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I am frequently having to janitor my girlfriend's LG 8Gb Lollipop phone, as it routinely runs out of internal storage, often fails to update apps due to insufficient storage and has started throwing warnings about the same.

This happens routinely despite her not using the phone for anything, but Facebook+Whatsapp. I'm not really familiar with Android, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

- The OS seems to take up about 4.4Gb by itself and Misc is 4.71 Gb. Seems about right?
- Apps 2.7 Gb, Seems on the high side, but having a hard time finding fat to trim. What Google stuff can be disabled safely?
- The highest I can get the free space up to is about 500Mb. Doesn't seem like a lot and a single Facebook update cuts it down by 30-50 Mb somehow. Are there any folders/caches where app updates are cached and can be deleted from?

In short, is there any margin for optimization at all or would she be better served by buying a more capable phone?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tonton Macoute posted:

I am frequently having to janitor my girlfriend's LG 8Gb Lollipop phone, as it routinely runs out of internal storage, often fails to update apps due to insufficient storage and has started throwing warnings about the same.

This happens routinely despite her not using the phone for anything, but Facebook+Whatsapp. I'm not really familiar with Android, so I'm kind of at a loss here.

- The OS seems to take up about 4.4Gb by itself and Misc is 4.71 Gb. Seems about right?
- Apps 2.7 Gb, Seems on the high side, but having a hard time finding fat to trim. What Google stuff can be disabled safely?
- The highest I can get the free space up to is about 500Mb. Doesn't seem like a lot and a single Facebook update cuts it down by 30-50 Mb somehow. Are there any folders/caches where app updates are cached and can be deleted from?

In short, is there any margin for optimization at all or would she be better served by buying a more capable phone?

Buy her a new phone or a used one with like 16gb+ and save yourself the headache

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tonton Macoute posted:

There's no good answer to this. She should really have a better phone. I just got done suffering through a 8gb Moto G and it was horrible.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tonton Macoute posted:

Misc shouldn't be 4.71 gigs, that's usually stuff installed by apps or whatever else the phone doesn't recognize as normally belonging. There's likely room for trimming there, possibly including the update caches you are looking for.

Disabling Google-related stuff isn't going to do anything. You'll maybe save some space if it means updates get uninstalled, but it's small change. You'd have to remove the default installed apps entirely, and this usually means rooting.

In the long run, getting a new phone is probably the best option. 8gb is not a lot of space anymore.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

orange sky posted:

So, I'm switching from a Moto G 2nd Gen to a new phone, and I want to keep using Android.

So far I've seen:

OnePlus 2 - bad support, right? But the specs look so drat good.
Moto X Style - I like Motorola, I had the 1st gen moto G and bought the 2nd gen after that, maybe the X Style is a good switch

Is there anything else I should look at? Around the 300-400 € price tag? (I'm in Portugal, so keep that in mind, I don't know about phone availability for stuff like Nexus)

The Nexus 5X 32GB is at 399€ at PCdiga, which is probably the best price you can find in Portugal for a Nexus, just don't look at the 6P prices. The Huawei Honor( the Honor 5X and 7) smartphones are also pretty sexy and good price in terms of hardware, if you can handle Huawei's empty software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The worst thing about the G5 and what will be the worst thing about the upcoming S7 is neither Samsung and LG have told the carriers to gently caress off and make cross carrier unbranded handsets like Google and Motorola.

That, more than software, would keep me from trying either of those handsets. I'm done with carrier branded devices and no manufacturer is going to get business from me if that's all they offer.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The G5 has USB C so it should charge as fast as the Nexus 5x and 6P, though, right?

The modular thing is kind of weird and feels like a gimmick (couldn't they just use the USB C connection for whatever?) but it will be interesting to see how it pans out, especially if LG opens it to third parties making addons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

S7 Edge looks awesome, no Edge+ this cycle though

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...lable-in-march/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't have sample photos because we had to delete them but in training I took on S7 two weeks ago, the camera was really good. Noticeably better than my Note 5.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

I don't have sample photos because we had to delete them but in training I took on S7 two weeks ago, the camera was really good. Noticeably better than my Note 5.

The Note 5 camera is the best phone camera I've ever used, so between that and the battery size I'm really stoked to get an S7 Edge.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The low light performance was the most apparent change. It focused absurdly fast too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Humerus posted:

The G5 has USB C so it should charge as fast as the Nexus 5x and 6P, though, right?

The modular thing is kind of weird and feels like a gimmick (couldn't they just use the USB C connection for whatever?) but it will be interesting to see how it pans out, especially if LG opens it to third parties making addons.

I think they'd almost have to go out of their way to not support quick charging. The chipset should already support it, so it's just a question of whether they skimped on other necessary bits like the USB port I guess?

The modular part seems like it could have real cool potential if it's easy to develop for. If there was a sample dev module available for cheap a hobbyist could probably 3D print casings for whatever they're doing - use the phone to drive a quadcopter with GPS and cellular data! Create interfaces for the odd bits of hardware you have lying around, like a spectrometer or something. Maybe go simple and just have a massive battery pack attachment (but why do this when the battery is already removable? :shrug:).

Or how about a flip-out hardware keyboard? :getin:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Humerus posted:

Pocketnow said it supports QC3.0 in their overview video.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict LG and maybe one or two other companies make five niche accessories that like .01% of G5 owners ever buy.

Also, going from the photos Ars took...the part that pops off mates very poorly to the rest of the phone. I mean, it might be secure, but it certainly doesn't blend into the phone well.

This sounds like I think the G5 is bad, but I think it looks nice overall.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Samsung reintroduced sd slot in S7, and they also made the phone thicker to fit in a larger battery: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10056/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge That's something.

I wonder how the 820 and Eyynos 8 differ in CPU and storage performance. Iphone's storage is way, way faster than anything else, and it would look better if LG and Samsung weren't so much behind.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Samsung reintroduced sd slot in S7

Interesting development: Both the LG G5 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 will have a MicroSD slot. Both phones will ship with Marshmallow. Both phones WILL NOT support adoptable storage.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rastor posted:

Interesting development: Both the LG G5 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 will have a MicroSD slot. Both phones will ship with Marshmallow. Both phones WILL NOT support adoptable storage.

Adoptable storage sounds like RAID0 and I wouldn't want that on my phone. The flash memory and storage solutions used already are quite bad, no need to introduce more reliability and data loss issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Both phones WILL NOT support adoptable storage.

No phone with more than 8gb of internal storage should support adoptable storage.

Adoptable storage exists solely to extend the usefulness of phones with <=8gb of internal storage. For anything else, it's a liability.

Ihmemies posted:

Adoptable storage sounds like RAID0 and I wouldn't want that on my phone.

It's not even RAID0. It just flat out doesn't use any of the internal storage until the external storage fills up.

So, if you bought yourself a 32gb or 64gb phone and plunk a card in for adoptable storage, you've pretty much wasted money. You aren't going to touch that internal storage until you fill up your card. You are better off using the card as music and photo storage with apps that support offloading to SD card.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still don't understand how storage prices have not come down. My GNote from 2011 has 16GB, and a 128GB ssd cost the same as 1TB ssd these days. But phones still have lovely and small storage, what's the deal? I assumed 128GB would be standard nowdays.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Because people still keep buying 16GB iPhones and Android and paying the premium prices for more storage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

I still don't understand how storage prices have not come down. My GNote from 2011 has 16GB, and a 128GB ssd cost the same as 1TB ssd these days. But phones still have lovely and small storage, what's the deal? I assumed 128GB would be standard nowdays.

The difference is with an SSD, you are buying a storage device. That's its primary purpose so you are getting competition in that category.

Storage in a smartphone is just one feature. The cost of NAND has no bearing really on the cost of the phone. The cost of NAND in a phone is only around 1.5% of its price on 16gb devices (even less in higher storage devices due to the premium they charge.) Display, processor, and radios are all FAR more costly on the BOM.

The real answer is people are still buying 16gb phones so the manufacturers are going to continue to make them for the extra margins it gets them in the high end. If people stopped buying 16gb phones, manufacturers would drop them and reorient lines with 32gb being minimum.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've never used an Android phone with an SD card. Can I do poo poo like tell Google Play Music to cache poo poo on the SD card? Or redirect photos/videos that I take to it? Manually managing this stuff would be awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can I do poo poo like tell Google Play Music to cache poo poo on the SD card? Or redirect photos/videos that I take to it?

Play music does. You can tell it to store all cached and pinned content on the SD card. I can't see anything in Google's camera app that does, but the native Moto app does allow you to redirect (as I would imagine most 1st party camera apps for phones with SD cards.)

Newsstand also lets you store content on the SD card.

Play Movies also allows you to store pinned content on the SD card.

Beyond Google, Pocketcasts also lets you store podcasts on the SD card.

Flixster and Vudu both allow you to select the SD card for downloaded movies too.

So, many high storage consuming apps allow you to select the SD card for storage within their settings, letting you use the SD card without adopting it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never used an Android phone with an SD card. Can I do poo poo like tell Google Play Music to cache poo poo on the SD card? Or redirect photos/videos that I take to it? Manually managing this stuff would be awful.

Yes. Google Play Music caches on SD by default, not sure what standard Google camera app does--but on a Samsung flagship you're gonna want to use the Samsung stock camera app and both it and the associated gallery app will use SD.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Samsunged again.

Ihmemies posted:

I wonder how the 820 and Eyynos 8 differ in CPU and storage performance. Iphone's storage is way, way faster than anything else, and it would look better if LG and Samsung weren't so much behind.

To be fair, Apple's SoC designs are about two generations out in front of Qualcomm at the moment. They don't just have better storage performance, they're so much faster in every way that matters that there's no point to comparing things anymore. Add to it the fact that the SoC and OS are designed to work with each other instead of just being commodity one size fits all parts and it's really apparent the hardware lead Apple has built.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have a Google Music subscription and I live in the United States. If I travel abroad to Europe will I still be able to listen to the music I have added to my playlist off Google Music?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ihmemies posted:

I'm interested in seeing how the new hardware on G5 and S7 compare to iphone, and if Samsung has managed to fix the multitasking issues.
I heard the multitasking on the S6 was improved with one of the software updates but I don't know anyone that has one to say for sure.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I need to get a new phone and so far I like the Nexus 6p, is there anything I should be aware of or is there a better alternative at that price range?

I would like a high end phone that will last me 2 years. I am coming from a iPhone, but I've had a Android in the past. I'd like a phone that can run Lolipop, but I have been out of the Android loop for about two years so a lot of these features are new to me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have a high quality UHS1 card in my Moto X Pure set up as adoptable/internal storage and it's really great. Until the stupid rear end in a top hat manufacturers stop charging 50 bucks for 12 cents worth of additional nand I'll add my own.

Blaming the consumer for not buying 32gb+ phones is idiotic by the way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mappo posted:

I need to get a new phone and so far I like the Nexus 6p, is there anything I should be aware of or is there a better alternative at that price range?

I would like a high end phone that will last me 2 years. I am coming from a iPhone, but I've had a Android in the past. I'd like a phone that can run Lolipop, but I have been out of the Android loop for about two years so a lot of these features are new to me.

The 6p is a good choice.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

bull3964 posted:

The real answer is people are still buying 16gb phones so the manufacturers are going to continue to make them for the extra margins it gets them in the high end. If people stopped buying 16gb phones, manufacturers would drop them and reorient lines with 32gb being minimum.

Did you go to business school at DeVry? If people all bought the higher margin devices then they would be loving retarded to eliminate their base line that makes the higher storage more attractive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Play music does. You can tell it to store all cached and pinned content on the SD card. I can't see anything in Google's camera app that does, but the native Moto app does allow you to redirect (as I would imagine most 1st party camera apps for phones with SD cards.)

Newsstand also lets you store content on the SD card.

Play Movies also allows you to store pinned content on the SD card.

Beyond Google, Pocketcasts also lets you store podcasts on the SD card.

Flixster and Vudu both allow you to select the SD card for downloaded movies too.

So, many high storage consuming apps allow you to select the SD card for storage within their settings, letting you use the SD card without adopting it.

broken clock opsec posted:

Yes. Google Play Music caches on SD by default, not sure what standard Google camera app does--but on a Samsung flagship you're gonna want to use the Samsung stock camera app and both it and the associated gallery app will use SD.

this is all awesome as gently caress, thank you

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mappo posted:

Now that Marshmallow has been out for a little while you want that, not Lollipop.

You should be aware that Samsung announced the Galaxy S7 and LG announced the G5 today, and then get the Nexus 6P anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you go to business school at DeVry? If people all bought the higher margin devices then they would be loving retarded to eliminate their base line that makes the higher storage more attractive.

They want market stratification. Right now they offer 16/32/64. If people stop buying the 16gb in favor of the 32gb, it makes no sense to continue producing the 16gb line and it starts making sense to add a 128gb line which adds an even higher margin product. Temporarily, entry level prices rise. But that's when competition steps in. Manufacturer B realizes that they can steal enough sales away from manufacturer A by dropping their 32gb tier back down to 16gb levels to make up for the tiny loss in margins between 16gb and 32gb. Manufacturer A then decides to stem that loss by matching price.

Status quo is reset at 32/64/128gb. In the meantime, cost of tech has dropped further so the manufacturers are back to their original margin levels and the cycle can start again.

As long as people keep buying 16gb models though, this won't happen. You have to first show manufactures that there's a demand for higher storage before they build it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

They want market stratification. Right now they offer 16/32/64. If people stop buying the 16gb in favor of the 32gb, it makes no sense to continue producing the 16gb line and it starts making sense to add a 128gb line which adds an even higher margin product. Temporarily, entry level prices rise. But that's when competition steps in. Manufacturer B realizes that they can steal enough sales away from manufacturer A by dropping their 32gb tier back down to 16gb levels to make up for the tiny loss in margins between 16gb and 32gb. Manufacturer A then decides to stem that loss by matching price.

Status quo is reset at 32/64/128gb. In the meantime, cost of tech has dropped further so the manufacturers are back to their original margin levels and the cycle can start again.

As long as people keep buying 16gb models though, this won't happen. You have to first show manufactures that there's a demand for higher storage before they build it.

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will only be available in 32GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge will only be available in 32GB.

Yup, the cycle HAS started, to drop 16gb. We saw it with the N6P as well. Eventually, 128gb may become a common option on the top end, but probably not in most devices that have an SD card as I don't think apps themselves have gotten to the point to necessitate that much storage.