Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah Doom 3's cacodemons disappointed me to no end. One of the things giving me hope about this is the cacos actually look pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I liked Doom 3, the lighting was cool and it gave me one of my favorite moments in a game. At some point near the end you come to the teleporter to go down to hell or whatever and like 2 cyberdemons come out or something, some big enemy. I BFG'd them and it just pulped one and the other one got rag dolled back and slammed into a big tube thing. Anyways it was cool as gently caress looking at the time and I really liked the interfaces in the game & all the audio logs and poo poo.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I liked in doom three when there was this imp and I shot him with the shotgun and blood came out out of him. there was also a tube thing if i recall correctly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like the way this thread kinda just lets it all hang out, you know? We're not quite at the level of pre-Fallout 4 thread, but there's something about a game where we really haven't seen much that makes for a funny/magical thread.

In just a few months we'll be playing this thing, it's wild stuff folks

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Doom gonna have a titty wall to punch?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Doom gonna have a titty wall to punch?

Duke would never punch a titty wall, he playfully slapped the titty wall. And quite frankly I doubt the genuineness of your inquiry.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Was there ever a story about this other Doom dude on the left?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well the doom bible did originally mention a squad of marines and I think the game was supposed to open with you playing poker with them, so I guess that's like one of your buddies who didn't make it into the final game.

Better question is, what kinda demon barber is he getting his hair cut at?

Or maybe the idea is it looks like poo poo because he just shaved his own head really fast.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 22, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rikimaru posted:

The backstory for the first game is that there are a whole lot of marines and you get left behind with just a pistol because you punched a superior officer or something, then all the other marines die and you have to go in by yourself. You find their corpses all over the place. I assume those guys in the picture just end up being two of the corpses you come across.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just finished a quick playthrough of Doom 3 after finally getting it to run. Either I'm much better than I remember, or the game's a ton easier, ha.

Anyway, it's the regular edition and I had no mods, so there wasn't a duct taped flashlight or anything. I expected it to annoy me but I have to admit I've got a much greater appreciation for the game than I originally had now. A ton of audio and visual cues were directing my attention before I realised what was going on, the eyes of enemies glow enough for me to fight them in the dark, weapon flashes light up the place long enough to get bead on someone, etc. From a technical point of view it feels like someone really went all out on the little details and poured a ton more into it than the game is given credit for.

Man oh man though, that art direction is so bland and has aged terribly. I don't think I can remember a single environment outside of the hell sections.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rikimaru posted:

He's your co-op mode pal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rikimaru posted:

Playing doom with a friend like 20 years ago. We got to the end then I turned around and killed him, he was so pissed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Just finished a quick playthrough of Doom 3 after finally getting it to run. Either I'm much better than I remember, or the game's a ton easier, ha.

Anyway, it's the regular edition and I had no mods, so there wasn't a duct taped flashlight or anything. I expected it to annoy me but I have to admit I've got a much greater appreciation for the game than I originally had now. A ton of audio and visual cues were directing my attention before I realised what was going on, the eyes of enemies glow enough for me to fight them in the dark, weapon flashes light up the place long enough to get bead on someone, etc. From a technical point of view it feels like someone really went all out on the little details and poured a ton more into it than the game is given credit for.

Man oh man though, that art direction is so bland and has aged terribly. I don't think I can remember a single environment outside of the hell sections.

Yeah I just did a playthrough over the weekend, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they hadn't called it doom 3. Carmack made a great lighting engine, and they made a pretty cool horror game around that lighting and shadow engine, with some pretty cool features. But at the time everybody was pretty caught up about how un-doom it was. The cacodemons especially still look ugly as sin to me, although you're right the rest of the game doesn't look that distinct either. (That said the game clearly is trying to be Doom to some extent, all the guns and enemies are back and even some of the level geometry calls back to the early doom wads)

There is a lot of lighting that to this day looks pretty cool, the machinery of the facility is pretty impressive to look at, and a lot of little touches really sell the sci-fi horror.

The game overall is more of an experience than fun moment to moment gameplay, kinda like Silent Hill. The shooting feels kinda bad, the guns sound pretty weak and look really blocky, but the atmosphere is there. But there's not much reason to replay it. The combat is just too simple and repetitive. Although the last couple levels do start to improve a bit.

I've never played the expansion, I guess I should give it a go.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never played the expansion, I guess I should give it a go.

The Xpac was basically, oh poo poo HL2 came out a month after our game and loving owned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The expansion had a few neat ideas going for it, like revisiting the Delta Labs and they're constantly phasing in and out of Hell, and the strong implication that your character dies at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

The Xpac was basically, oh poo poo HL2 came out a month after our game and loving owned.

Funny enough one of the things I was thinking replaying doom3 last weekend was "good job copying the HEV stations on the walls from HL1 guys!", exact same mechanic.

Also funny story, Doom 3 had a gravity gun just like HL2 in it, but they only used it as a dev tool for moving around blocks and testing physics and stuff. You almost don't even realize Doom3 has physics since very few things interact with it.

Then HL2 comes out and makes the gravity gun the actual focus of gameplay and Id goes "oh poo poo, why didn't we think of that?"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Carmack and his linear train of thought.

Would later bring us Rage, the worst borderlands game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If Borderlands had Rage's shooting it would be one of the best games ever made because Jesus shooting someone for five minutes in Borderlands 2 if you do the NG+ thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guillermus posted:

If Borderlands had Rage's shooting it would be one of the best games ever made because Jesus shooting someone for five minutes in Borderlands 2 if you do the NG+ thing.

this and rages(or any other games) hit reactions. in borderlands dudes just stand there making unfunny quips or giving a political lecture while you pour ammo into them and they dont even flich. in rage, they would stumble around or clutch wounds or something.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

poptart_fairy posted:

I really liked the flashlight mechanic despite of not really liking the game itself that much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

That's pretty much Destiny, which was really solid in its mechanics but Bungie just can't put out content fast enough to keep up with it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I started replaying Doom 3 and holy hell the (early, at least) combat is so bad. Everything appears to be designed around near-unavoidable damage and just engaging in a war of attrition with enemies one by one or in small groups.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linguica posted:

I started replaying Doom 3 and holy hell the (early, at least) combat is so bad. Everything appears to be designed around near-unavoidable damage and just engaging in a war of attrition with enemies one by one or in small groups.

Yeah. Its really more of a haunted house than anything. You walk forward, hit the trap trigger, dudes spawn, you shoot them, you move on.

You take chip damage everywhere and there's not a ton of strategy you can do about it, but you get near constant health pickups and health stations so whatever? I find myself walking around at 100 health and over 100 armor most of the time, leaving health pickups on the ground unused.

Then towards the end when you have all the guns it starts to open up and throw bigger waves of enemies at you, but then oops game's over, out of time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Doom 3 is meh but quake 4 is actually kinda good

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

echronorian posted:

Yeah, I remember enjoying Quake 4 substantially more than Doom 3. I haven't played it since release so dunno how it has aged, but check it out if you haven't

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

Doom 3 alpha footage, I kinda like the original cutscenes better.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm replaying all the Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4, so it's onward to Doom 2 now (and all its expansion packs).

The Doom pump-action shotgun is still one of the most satisfying FPS weapons of all time, I love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I'm replaying all the Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4, so it's onward to Doom 2 now (and all its expansion packs).

The Doom pump-action shotgun is still one of the most satisfying FPS weapons of all time, I love it.

The pump action is good, but the SSG in Doom 2 is the real poo poo. That is the most satisfying weapon in any FPS. Boom, chunk-chunk. Boom, chunk-chunk. Mmm, soo good.

How did you like ep 4? It always kicks my rear end.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

To this day I have not found another game that quite gives the same satisfaction as the super shotgun. You'd think it'd be easy to recreate but games seem allergic to "giant blast gun". Same with chainsaws. Fallout NV got chainsaws pretty right. Shame Fallout 4 skipped them. They don't look fun in Doom 4. Let me swing the drat thing or just push it out to grind things up, save the execution wank for the minibosses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pathos posted:

Yeah, I remember enjoying Quake 4 substantially more than Doom 3. I haven't played it since release so dunno how it has aged, but check it out if you haven't

I replayed it recently and thought it was a lot of fun. Even before you get stroggified you move at a decent clip and there's plenty of dudes to shoot. The vehicle sections are kind of lame but they're not long.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

The pump action is good, but the SSG in Doom 2 is the real poo poo. That is the most satisfying weapon in any FPS. Boom, chunk-chunk. Boom, chunk-chunk. Mmm, soo good.

How did you like ep 4? It always kicks my rear end.

Episode 4 has some bullshit and it's a colossal step up in difficulty over episode 3. When the first level unexpectedly makes you fight a Baron of Hell and all you have is a shotgun with like 25 shells and a pistol with 30 bullets, you know the episode isn't loving around. :stare:

I had to look up YouTube walk through for a couple levels because I'd either have no idea where to go and didn't have the luxury of exploring because the floor is loving lava, or I'd get ambushed by a shitton of enemies and have no idea where a safe place to retreat to was.

Like the episode was fun and it's nowhere near the level of "gently caress you" that is the later Wolf3D Spear of Destiny episodes, but the difficulty scaling is pretty bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black August posted:

To this day I have not found another game that quite gives the same satisfaction as the super shotgun. You'd think it'd be easy to recreate but games seem allergic to "giant blast gun". Same with chainsaws. Fallout NV got chainsaws pretty right. Shame Fallout 4 skipped them. They don't look fun in Doom 4. Let me swing the drat thing or just push it out to grind things up, save the execution wank for the minibosses.

Bulletstorm had a quad barreled shotgun. Didn't feel quite as good as the SSG but it came kinda close.

Funny enough, I think that the chainsaw is the one place where the execution animations make sense in DOOM and I don't mind them there so much. In Doom 1/2 you just kinda awkwardly humped monsters with the chainsaw while they flailed around until they finally died. A quick animation serves the same function and looks flashier.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Bulletstorm had a quad barreled shotgun. Didn't feel quite as good as the SSG but it came kinda close.

Funny enough, I think that the chainsaw is the one place where the execution animations make sense in DOOM and I don't mind them there so much. In Doom 1/2 you just kinda awkwardly humped monsters with the chainsaw while they flailed around until they finally died. A quick animation serves the same function and looks flashier.

Well, it's the simple problem of it being games. A truly satisfying chainsaw would be same as Fallout NV style, swing it or just hold it out, but you'd see it actually cut in and do something like the glory kills instead of just hover there like it's pressed into a glass window. But that'd be insanely difficult to make as a not-a-quicktime style thing. I'd still be happier if you could just saw-swing it around like a sword and do optional insta-kills when you can get away with it, but if its only function is stock animation kills then it just sounds dull as hell. But I guess we'll see.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wish shooters had level wide nemesis bosses that stalk you and do away with arenas all together

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow Warrior (97) had that cool rotating quad barrel shotgun, also GORE had a quad barrel shotgun. I appreciate a ridiculous shotgun. Doom 3 RoE's super shotgun is great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heavy Metal posted:

Doom 3 RoE's super shotgun is great.
It's especially great when you use it with all of the Hell Artifact powers going. One-shotting a Hell Knight in slow-motion never gets old.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With chainsaw kills AND a four barreled shogtun I hope some smart person makes some custom content of The Legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqD2jdKBdA8

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 23, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neo Rasa posted:

With chainsaw kills AND a four barreled shogtun I hope some smart person makes some custom content of The Legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqD2jdKBdA8

Oh hell yeah, can't talk about quad-shotties without Phantasm. BOSS.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

echronorian posted:

Quake 4 was great. There is one scene in particular that really stood out to me. Its kind of 2/3rds of the way through the game or so and you enter this room full of tubes. When you get to the end of the room all the tubes begin to defrost or something and munsters came out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Quake 4 was great. There is one scene in particular that really stood out to me. Its kind of 2/3rds of the way through the game or so and you enter this room full of tubes. When you get to the end of the room all the tubes begin to defrost or something and munsters came out of them.

I remember that too! A genuine "oh my gently caress please no" moment