Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think i made my tree farm too far away from my infernal furnace which is again too far away from my endoflames ><

I have 4 hopperhocks grabbing drops. I then have a golem attached to each chest that then ferries items towards the main sorting chest.

A golem then sorts the items into barrels.

I then have a tag team of golems and chests heading towards the furnace, and then another tag team of golems carting the charcoal up to the chest above the open crate.

Its totally crazy ><

Anyone that has played the simply magic modpack, how did you get enderpearls? Ive seen 1 enderman, in the day, he was taking damage from god knows what. I put him out of his misery, but no pearl :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

Anyone that has played the simply magic modpack, how did you get enderpearls? Ive seen 1 enderman, in the day, he was taking damage from god knows what. I put him out of his misery, but no pearl :/
You have Botania, right? Set up a Vinculotus and a Bellethorne, with a hopperhock next to a barrel nearby. It takes little mana, and every time an enderman teleports anywhere nearby, it'll get sucked into the trap and die.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Meskhenet posted:

I think i made my tree farm too far away from my infernal furnace which is again too far away from my endoflames ><

I have 4 hopperhocks grabbing drops. I then have a golem attached to each chest that then ferries items towards the main sorting chest.

A golem then sorts the items into barrels.

I then have a tag team of golems and chests heading towards the furnace, and then another tag team of golems carting the charcoal up to the chest above the open crate.

Its totally crazy ><

I think we have the opposite problem here. They keep popping up in my house, scaring the poo poo out of me, and they won't go away. I am not progressed very far so I haven't wanted to use my iron for armour meaning I have to be very careful killing them so I don't die, but they are frequent visitors.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So um, Intangible question:
I don't think this is supposed to be happening?

I finally got snow to make a golem and I'm trying to research their souls but somehow it just keeps processing into spirals and never ends. How boned am I?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

So um, Intangible question:
I don't think this is supposed to be happening?

I finally got snow to make a golem and I'm trying to research their souls but somehow it just keeps processing into spirals and never ends. How boned am I?

do snow golems even work, i thought they had to be iron golems

(4 iron blocks and a pumpkin to make your own)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sialia posted:

I think we have the opposite problem here. They keep popping up in my house, scaring the poo poo out of me, and they won't go away. I am not progressed very far so I haven't wanted to use my iron for armour meaning I have to be very careful killing them so I don't die, but they are frequent visitors.

Man your lucky. They just arent on my map at all. (i do have one of those sinister temples, so ive got all teh bone/arrows/zombie stuff i could ever want.

I even ended up going to an age i made that is like the nether and killing ghasts. nearly died a few times.

Serifina posted:

You have Botania, right? Set up a Vinculotus and a Bellethorne, with a hopperhock next to a barrel nearby. It takes little mana, and every time an enderman teleports anywhere nearby, it'll get sucked into the trap and die.

Ok, this is now my plan.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

do snow golems even work, i thought they had to be iron golems
Thanks. I assumed it was bugged because I'd tried scanning soulless creatures (like the zombies) and those gave a red error at the funnel. This gave a valid sequence up until it started repeating spirals for infinity.
Iron golems seem to work, but of course, I don't have any new entries unlocked so I have no idea what new method I need to work on to get their souls out.

I guess I'll have to build that corporeal reconstructor thing to move on.

TC5 question: How important is aura manipulation? Finding, jarring, and organizing big nodes was crucial for endgame TC4 but here it doesn't seem as important to have one of every element around your base. At least I hope not, because I finally unlocked a way to move nodes and it is NOT convenient.
I'm also having a hell of a hard time because I haven't found a single tainted node/biome and it's harder than I thought to create an artificial taint biome. I scrounged together enough taint crystals (by criminally overfilling a cauldron near some air crystals) to make liquid taint but it didn't have the dramatic effect I was hoping. Now I'm out of taint crystals and what taint was left behind I can't actually harvest for vitium. So I guess I just have to keep exploring till I find a tainted biome, at this rate.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

TC5 question: How important is aura manipulation? Finding, jarring, and organizing big nodes was crucial for endgame TC4 but here it doesn't seem as important to have one of every element around your base. At least I hope not, because I finally unlocked a way to move nodes and it is NOT convenient.
I'm also having a hell of a hard time because I haven't found a single tainted node/biome and it's harder than I thought to create an artificial taint biome. I scrounged together enough taint crystals (by criminally overfilling a cauldron near some air crystals) to make liquid taint but it didn't have the dramatic effect I was hoping. Now I'm out of taint crystals and what taint was left behind I can't actually harvest for vitium. So I guess I just have to keep exploring till I find a tainted biome, at this rate.

In TC5, aura manipulation is basically optional. If you're using a whole lot of a specific type of aspect, you might want to use totems to pull in vis from surrounding chunks more effectively, but it isn't really required. Having a bunch of nodes near your base isn't really that useful anyways -- all they do is replenish their aspect into the vis in the air faster. i basically did not bother with moving nodes around at all, except to plant some silverwood trees in my base for their pure nodes. (These scrub flux from your aura.)

I found it pretty easy to make a tainted biome -- I just dumped a nearly full inventory's worth of cobblestone (thank you golem-powered cobble gen) into a cauldron on a remote island. There's also a bottled taint item, which will spread taint around by itself.

Keep with your pollution efforts. Eventually, the land will eventually spawn little rectangular looking three-dimensional blisters that you can then break for the chance at one of those dissolving goo things. (I usually then stuff that into a vanilla ender chest I put on the island so it doesn't dissolve in my inventory, with a paired ender chest at my base.) If there's enough tainted land, the taintacles will spawn, and you can of course plant trees in a tainted land to encourage taint swarms to spawn. All of these will help drop items which you can then huck into an alchemy smelter for vitium.

There's a research for artificially generating tainted crystals using vitium in the thaumatorium/cauldron, but it requires more vitium to go in than you'd get from the shard coming out. You can also get vitium by melting down salis mundis (though at 1 vitium per item, this is horribly inefficient.)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, that last solution is really only practical if your desperate to get 1 tainted shard to make the various hardware that it uses.

Its a nice touch, feels like a throwback to TC2. You have to do some degree of monstrous environmental fuckery to get all the gadgets and tools. Way to go hero, I'm sure this wont have any repercussions. :jerkbag:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Sorry that this is a facebook link but OMG, I was ROFL. Specially when the admin world edited the base out of existance....

https://www.facebook.com/AlltimeGamingtv/videos/849389758520688/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can do actually some neat stuff with flux management in TC5 through the aura manipulation tools. Stacking your flux into a single aura chunk will taint the area immediately around it and keep the flux contained, you can then also encircle your flux chunk in blooms to keep the taint from spreading. Alternatively you can simply direct the taint away from your lab chunks and use smaller, less invasive totems to pull it into chunks that have pure nodes to keep taint from ever being a problem.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Sorry that this is a facebook link but OMG, I was ROFL. Specially when the admin world edited the base out of existance....

I would chide you for posting this outside of the griefing thread, but I don't think we have one anymore.

That kid's parents must be so disappointed in him, spending all his time on video games instead of haunting ireland.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

TheresaJayne posted:

Youtube link here.

Also, be ready to turn down your volume.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I have a hard time believing that's real.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

[Autistic Warcry]

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mods please

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The subtitle of [Incomprehensible Shrieking] came far too late in the video

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh hell, you can use the air-transport system of essentia transport to supply a Thaumatorium? I'm basically done with pipes and phials forever!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Oh hell, you can use the air-transport system of essentia transport to supply a Thaumatorium? I'm basically done with pipes and phials forever!

Yes, and it is glorious. It makes the Thaumatorium so very, very good, especially with TC5's increased reliance on alchemy as a crafting mechanic.

I haven't tried it, but I think the air transfer also works with the essentia mirrors.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

And pipes still have uses if you want closed circuits that require a lot of different essentia (like blooms). It's a really good solution to getting rid of pipe hell while still retaining pipes as a useful item

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Thermal Expansion + Dynamics question. I've got a Pulverizer from which I have removed the Integrated Servo Mechanism. I set the bottom side to the orange color that includes both the primary and secondary output slots and put a Signalum Servo on it set to Round Robin. The primary output gets sent out round robin fashion as expected, but the secondary output does not -- it always goes to the same inventory. Oddly, it's not even the closest inventory. Anyone observed this before? Did I overlook something, or is the secondary slot somehow bugged w/ servos?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

... Also hoping for some way to move mob spawners, but that's not as important.
NeoTech brings some early-game ore processing/doubling mechanics and has a mob spawner mover which is simply a wand made with two stick and an emerald.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Is there a basic pack that includes the latest Thaumcraft and Botania? I'm trying to get a post-blightfall fix

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Dalaram posted:

Is there a basic pack that includes the latest Thaumcraft and Botania? I'm trying to get a post-blightfall fix

regrowth

:getin:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Isn't that still Thaumcraft 4?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dalaram posted:

no but use the curse launcher to just add thaumcraft and botania to a 1.8.9 instance

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I released a pack on Curse for anyone who might be interested, a simple magic pack for 1.8.9 called Sky Magic. It defaults to a Garden of Glass skyblock setup but if you want to play in a normal Overworld just disable the Garden of Glass and Crafting Tweaks files. It has Blood Magic, Botania, Intangible, Psi, and Thaumcraft so there's no shortage of stuff to play with.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Serifina posted:

I released a pack on Curse for anyone who might be interested, a simple magic pack for 1.8.9 called Sky Magic. It defaults to a Garden of Glass skyblock setup but if you want to play in a normal Overworld just disable the Garden of Glass and Crafting Tweaks files. It has Blood Magic, Botania, Intangible, Psi, and Thaumcraft so there's no shortage of stuff to play with.

What's Garden of Grass? Playing around with magic in a skyblock sounds cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xanthan posted:

It's an ultra-minimal skyblock map that features Botania, with a few recipes made easier. There are no quests and no help.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Cryohazard posted:

Isn't that still Thaumcraft 4?

ah yeah it is; i missed the 'latest' conditional

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

xanthan posted:

Pretty much what Arioch said - Botania skyblocking. You're basically locked into focusing on Botania for a while to gain resources and can branch out later rimarily after you've been to the Nether and can make an Alchemy Focus so you can convert materials, as it's the only way to get sand, and therefore, glass.) all vanilla resources are acquirable via Botania methods, and the Orechid is reduced to almost nothing in terms of making it and mana cost to run it so you can use it to generate all the ores.

I've used Crafting Tweaks to add recipes for Thaumcraft's elemental shards, Greatwood Saplings, and Silverwood Saplings, so that Thaumcraft is playable. Everything else is playable as-is.

If you like skyblock maps, it's about as magic-focused as you can get, and it's a lot less grindy than the usual Ex Nihilo-based skyblocks. Be sure to read the Lexica Botania's entry for Garden of Glass, though, as that's as much of a guide for progression as you'll get.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Probably the biggest stumbling block in Garden of Glass is igniting the portal to the Nether. Use a vanilla fire charge, fired out of a dispenser.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When you said Sky Magic is on Curse my first thought was "man, I don't want to have to install the Curse launcher!" :downs: I guess I didn't realize you could put whole packs on the site.

Some of the mods in this I didn't realize were for 1.8.9 yet and I wish I had been able to include in a pack I threw together for myself just a few days ago. I swear I checked and double checked for Chisel. Now I can just take it from this pack too!

E: wait, maybe you do have to use the curse launcher? I don't quite understand how to get this working but I'm probably an idiot.
E2: Okay, it appears there's actually two DIFFERENT curse clients, a curse beta and a curse voice and who loving knows. At least I got it working. Thanks for the pack!

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 23, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I prefer skyblocks as a rule so I'll definitely be checking that pack. Didn't even realize there was a 1.8 version of Botania; thanks for putting it together!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Probably the biggest stumbling block in Garden of Glass is igniting the portal to the Nether. Use a vanilla fire charge, fired out of a dispenser.

You can just right-click it for use, no need for the dispenser.

Vib Rib posted:

When you said Sky Magic is on Curse my first thought was "man, I don't want to have to install the Curse launcher!" :downs: I guess I didn't realize you could put whole packs on the site.

Some of the mods in this I didn't realize were for 1.8.9 yet and I wish I had been able to include in a pack I threw together for myself just a few days ago. I swear I checked and double checked for Chisel. Now I can just take it from this pack too!

E: wait, maybe you do have to use the curse launcher? I don't quite understand how to get this working but I'm probably an idiot.
E2: Okay, it appears there's actually two DIFFERENT curse clients, a curse beta and a curse voice and who loving knows. At least I got it working. Thanks for the pack!

Curse Voice is what you use, and I actually recommend it at this point. It's got no ads that I've ever seen, and works damned well (weirdness of launching the vanilla launcher aside). The pack file itself is primarily just a bundle of configs, scripts, and a manifest file, and then Curse Voice downloads the files straight from the actual mod pages. If you unlock the pack (under the pack's options) you can add and remove files easily or simply disable them, and it'll even show you if an update for a mod is available if you want to manually update yourself. It's also easy to put a custom pack together for yourself, too, and since it integrates with CurseForge, you can extremely easily update mods and add more.

Ciaphas posted:

I prefer skyblocks as a rule so I'll definitely be checking that pack. Didn't even realize there was a 1.8 version of Botania; thanks for putting it together!

You're welcome. I've been following (and using) the 1.8.9 port as it develops, and it just got uploaded to Curse a couple days ago, and I pushed williewillus to get the Garden of Glass 1.8.9 file up as well so I could upload the pack. As far as I know, this is the first real skyblock option for 1.8.9, and frankly, I love skyblocking as well, so I wanted something to be available.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So your Sky Magic - Garden of Glass pack is pretty great, I'm enjoying it more than a lot of Skyblocks so far, though at times I did falter trying to remember how to get basic things like more dirt. I finally got to the Nether after obsessively checking my non-automated spawn room for spider string, now I'm off to find blaze rods. I guess beelining the Nether is a good idea so you can get the blaze rods for the alchemical catalyst and start making all kinds of new things, plus nether mushrooms means rod of lands means expandable farming at long last. It's weird having ore/metals be so available while other resources provide choke points.
Weird that after all this time I'm still trying to get more stone. Is there an easy way to automate it? I figure sufficiently advanced golems could either harvest from a lava-fed cobble generator or just take the Use seal and dig up pebbles themselves, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious sooner.

Anyway, great stuff so far.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Weird that after all this time I'm still trying to get more stone. Is there an easy way to automate it? I figure sufficiently advanced golems could either harvest from a lava-fed cobble generator or just take the Use seal and dig up pebbles themselves, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious sooner.

What I did was make a bog standard lava-fed cobble generator, then used a piston and a hovering hourglass to continually push cobble out of the generator. The cobble pole eventually collides with a redstone mana spreader with a bore lens. Since there is a redstone torch underneath the block directly in front of the mana spreader, the cobblestone appearing gets strongly powered by the torch, which in turn causes the redstone mana spreader to fire, breaking some of the cobblestone pole. A hopperhock picks up the cobblestone.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm really liking what I see from bluedart's new Project Alchemy that he's showing off on YouTube. It looks like a really neat iteration on DartCraft, which definitely was a mixed bag. Adds a sort of MineChem-esque breakdown and crafting system that's blended with the research system. Also changes up the enchantment system to let you control what you get more easily and lets you do the area and grinding stuff on normal tools. I think the only tool that's back is the Force Wrench. The ability to shear pigs, cows, and chickens is back, but now any shears can do it. Overall it's all the neat advantageous stuff to play with without all the worldgen crap that made it suck.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

So your Sky Magic - Garden of Glass pack is pretty great, I'm enjoying it more than a lot of Skyblocks so far, though at times I did falter trying to remember how to get basic things like more dirt. I finally got to the Nether after obsessively checking my non-automated spawn room for spider string, now I'm off to find blaze rods. I guess beelining the Nether is a good idea so you can get the blaze rods for the alchemical catalyst and start making all kinds of new things, plus nether mushrooms means rod of lands means expandable farming at long last. It's weird having ore/metals be so available while other resources provide choke points.

Anyway, great stuff so far.

I can't take credit for the progression - that's all Garden of Glass, which is Vazkii. But I do like it, which is why I wanted it to be available. But yeah, the entire first part is basically all working up to the alchemical catalyst and getting those lost few resources from the Nether.

Arioch beat me to it, but he's basically correct - use a Pulse Spreader with a Bore Lens, and trigger it via your choice of redstone contraption. The one I use is centered around a single block which passes through a signal, instead of pistoning out a line of them, but it's the same concept. Remember to put a Solegnolia near it if you're carrying a magnet ring so you don't get random cobble in your inventory (and it's skyblock, why aren't you wearing a magnet ring?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Is something up with worldgen in the BFSR beta? I've explored a rather large area and haven't found a single desert - and, by extension, no cacti. At this point I've given up and I'm going to cheat one in but I feel like at this point it's a bit ridiculous and I should've found one by now. Found like 5 mega taigas and a shitload of forests, that's about it.