Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jfood posted:

The 'enemy', and I use that term loosely as they're more or less target practice, think attaching a stabby bit to the end of your stick is the height of technology.

This has never been true. The Grounders know what guns are and how to use them, they just haven't done so historically because if they did Mt. Weather would drop missiles on their villages.

Indra even said in this last episode that she didn't know they could win in a fight with the Arkers unless they used guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Weak rear end grounder fetish bullshit.

Your waifu gonna get wrecked, sorry dude.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has Jaha always talked with some kind of lisp (or was my audio quality just poo poo)?

Also I'm trying to remember, Jaha was able to see Allie before he took the blue pill right, on the count of him finding her in the house which presumably has some kind of hologram projection and such?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Indra says something about using guns though, maybe the Grounders have a cache somewhere but they are forbidden?

They definitely have guns somewhere, they just also have that whole "anybody who uses a gun will die" thing going since Mt. Weather was in control of the area. It's implied that it's a built in cultural fear at this point, but they also know it was only because of Mt. Weather

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has Jaha always talked with some kind of lisp (or was my audio quality just poo poo)?

Also I'm trying to remember, Jaha was able to see Allie before he took the blue pill right, on the count of him finding her in the house which presumably has some kind of hologram projection and such?
Yeah, first time Jaha meets ALIE, she is a hologram projection inside the mansion foyer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope that Lexa makes the landmark decision that grounders use guns now by unveiling a loving howitzer. That she's just been hanging on to.

edit: I mean we know that some grounders have rocket launchers, so...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I get thinking Pike is right (or at least I get why some people who are wrong would) but to think they could actually win is silly.

There's no conflict if Arkadia has nothing to worry about. The show's whole thing is conflict 24/7.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bellamy really should have shut Pike down right at the beginning.

Even if he's losing confidence in himself and reverting to 'find an authority figure to follow' mode, he knows how many Grounders are out there.

Go out and kill 300, and then ALL the rest are gonna get together and roll right over Arkadia.

Guns don't even matter, sure they'll kill a lot of Grounders but gently caress if that matters when everyone is gonna die doing it.

Honestly at this point they should do it. Let some of the sane arkers (Abby, Kane, Raven, some extras) slip away and get pardoned because they were against the attack. Let Pike and all the assholes get hosed and die.

Then we can have Jaha hanging out in that rad Grounder tower peddling his happy pills.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Something's going to happen to piss Octavia off, and during the night she's going to lead them through the back door. The episode will end with a montage of the Grounders taking out Pike's people in their sleep.

With a really bad cover of "Enter Sandman" playing over it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, the grounders don't even really have to attack the walls. they can just lay siege to Arkadia. There's no way they can outlast the coalition army.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

It's just so infuriating that someone decided to write Pike as literally loving autistic and unable to realize that 'the Grounders' aren't one big monolithic group, and then all the stupid poo poo we're dealing with comes from that spiraling out of control.

I mean Pike shouldn't have been an option for Chancellor to begin with. He'd just tried to start a war for christ's sake. "Oh, you want to vote for Pike? That's nice, I guess your vote's not getting counted, you can sit down now."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

It's just so infuriating that someone decided to write Pike as literally loving autistic and unable to realize that 'the Grounders' aren't one big monolithic group, and then all the stupid poo poo we're dealing with comes from that spiraling out of control.

I mean Pike shouldn't have been an option for Chancellor to begin with. He'd just tried to start a war for christ's sake. "Oh, you want to vote for Pike? That's nice, I guess your vote's not getting counted, you can sit down now."

Doesn't seem that outlandish, there's at least a few posters in this thread doing the same thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I mean it's frustrating, but Pikes attitude is reflective of historical attitudes that technologically advanced societies have towards less advanced natives. George Washington, for example, gave orders to massacre Native American peoples who were on his side, because they were inconvenient to him. In retributions for IceIroquois Nation attacks, Washington sent General Sullivan to utterly destroy the Iroquois Nation with was reasonably successful, but in the course of doing so they also destroyed villages that supported the Patriots. Not only did this break the loyalty of Patriot supporting tribes such as the Mohawk, but the Iroquois retribution against colonial villages was extreme.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WarLocke posted:

Hi I'd like to introduce you to a little something called the world we live in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hi I'd like to introduce you to a little something called the world we live in.

Oh yeah, I guess I've been talking about Native Americans, but it also applies to you know, Islamophobia.

edit: In fact, Pike's rhetoric is actually very familiar to the arguments I heard when I was protesting the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. When I would argue that these invasions would not prevent terrorism and that thousands of innocent people would die as a result of this political war, I as told that thousands of innocent people already died. On 9/11. And that "these people" hate us, our way of life, our freedom, and they want us dead. And we need to strike decisively to send a message "don't gently caress with America". And the people that said that won and got to be right. Because of military superiority, the question of whether it was right or wrong is insignificant compared to it being "successful".

But on the show, it's not as clear-cut whether the technological advantages the Arker's have will allow them to survive a war where they are outnumbered 500 to 1, completely surrounded, and with limited food and water.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 20, 2016

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Snak posted:

The other is that Abby and Kane need to betray the law they've been bending and offer up Pike and his followers to be tied to posts and executed by a thousands cuts.

Then Monty gets to join Jasper in drinking himself into oblivion. It's the best thing that could happen for the two of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

But on the show, it's not as clear-cut whether the technological advantages the Arker's have will allow them to survive a war where they are outnumbered 500 to 1, completely surrounded, and with limited food and water.

Well, all the protagonists are saying Arkadia wouldn't survive it and the ones who think they can are the antagonists, so as far as TV is concerned that means they'd lose.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is Clarke's actress Pregnant? Just curious

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Is Clarke's actress Pregnant? Just curious

They began shooting the season in July, so if she was she'd have to have announced it by now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They began shooting the season in July, so if she was she'd have to have announced it by now.

I guess that means Lincoln is definitely a goner seeing as he's spending this summer shooting American Gods.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I guess that means Lincoln is definitely a goner seeing as he's spending this summer shooting American Gods.

It's looking pretty telegraphed that Pike is going to do something to Lincoln.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

jfood posted:

I think it'd be fitting if Pike stepped down afterwards, in Cincinnatus style, knowing the work he had to accomplish was now done.

This would be a really good twist to flesh out Pike's character but I don't think it's happening any time soon. They did something similar with Kane in season one and two but I think the writers are just burning through the story too fast to add any depth to their characters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

jfood posted:

It's a fortified position at the top of a hill with no cover leading up to it.

There's a treeline like 5 feet from their camp. Come on son, at least put effort into it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

I mean it's frustrating, but Pikes attitude is reflective of historical attitudes that technologically advanced societies have towards less advanced natives. George Washington, for example, gave orders to massacre Native American peoples who were on his side, because they were inconvenient to him. In retributions for IceIroquois Nation attacks, Washington sent General Sullivan to utterly destroy the Iroquois Nation with was reasonably successful, but in the course of doing so they also destroyed villages that supported the Patriots. Not only did this break the loyalty of Patriot supporting tribes such as the Mohawk, but the Iroquois retribution against colonial villages was extreme.

Yeah, I was reading some 1800s accounts of settlers vs Indians and the similarities between a lot of their attitudes towards Indians and Pike's towards Grounders are 1:1.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One thing I wish the show did a better job of is ground itself more in North American geography. I mean, the nuclear war was only a hundred years ago. Surely the survivors should still refer to places by name, based on old maps, and come across ruined cities?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I wish the show did a better job of is ground itself more in North American geography. I mean, the nuclear war was only a hundred years ago. Surely the survivors should still refer to places by name, based on old maps, and come across ruined cities?

The only thing that bothers me about this show when I think about it is how far removed everything is from the way the world would have been before the bombs dropped. Like people who were alive when it happened wouldn't have died very long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Like the opposite of the Bethesda Fallout games, where everything is still ruins and nothing has been rebuilt yet even though it's been hella long and they still have all that pre war knowledge that had either been passed down or can still be told to you by any ghoul who hasn't gone crazy yet.

However, with them putting more emphasis on Alie and the infinity symbol and that whole connection, I wonder how much of grounder culture is how poo poo naturally progressed when the bombs dropped, and how much could potentially be just all some big experiment by Alie to weed the weak from the strong before populating her city of light.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I like how Alie was telling Jaha how crazy he sounded. :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Snak posted:

Okay, granted, but nobody thinks to call bullshit on him? Abby and Kane just spent months trying to figure out how to live with the Grounders, they finally work out a tenuous truce and avert a war, then some jackass shows up and is all 'we should kill em all!' and they're like, welp, guess he's boss now?

I guess I'm not pissed at his idiotic black/white attitude, more at how the writers have made everybody else on the show retarded so that a guy who literally tried to commit mass murder 12 hours ago is made the boss so they can wring out more easy DRAMA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah they use a subway map or whatever as an actual map, but none of the names.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The timeline could probably be improved by adding about hundred years or so.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah they use a subway map or whatever as an actual map, but none of the names.

I thought the linguist's explanation for the development of the grounder language (keeping stuff secret from the Mountain) also applied to changing place names.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BarbarousBertha posted:

I thought the linguist's explanation for the development of the grounder language (keeping stuff secret from the Mountain) also applied to changing place names.

Right, it makes sense for Grounders to use their own terms to refer to places, but the Arc was up in space for four generations and had access to fancy technology and electronic records, so they would have no reason to just "forget" where Washington DC is for example. They should also be able to figure out very quickly where they are on the continent (Mt. Weather is somewhere in Virginia).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They were also up on the Arc for four generations, meaning they all grew up removed any sense of Earth as a place. They probably had history classes on it or something, but it's still in large part like examining ancient history for them. Earth as it is now, as they know it, is how the grounders refer to it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

There is a difference between decisive victory and executing all of the wounded survivors.

What about Pike makes you think that he would give a single solitary gently caress about wounded survivors? His entire vocabulary consists of "get them before they get us" rhetoric, and that is not a philosophy that allows for survivors.

Hobo posted:

Making bullets (or rounds more importantly) involves a lot more than just melting down scrap metal.

And in a show where deciding to use their propellant for a bomb was a major plot point.

CeeJee posted:

It's probably 3D printers making stuff.

Better not think too much, for instance where all these people who were born on the Ark learned to shoot so well. Was there a Firing Range Station ?

The 100 is a science fiction show that is extremely light on the science, it's not really worth arguing about on the grounds of realism.

enraged_camel posted:

They kinda do, just that for some reason none of the names of the cities have been remembered in their intact form.
The only thing that really bothers me is that the bombs apparently turned the DC area into the forests of Vancouver with a couple haphazardly placed remains of landmarks. I get that 100 years of overgrowth would change things a lot, but clearly there have been people living there the whole time.

I'd also think that with that many people surviving the bombings you'd have a significant number of people familiar with technology and architecture and things wouldn't revert to stone age tribal society, but once again there's that tenuous relationship between The 100 and realism.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

raditts posted:

I'd also think that with that many people surviving the bombings you'd have a significant number of people familiar with technology and architecture and things wouldn't revert to stone age tribal society, but once again there's that tenuous relationship between The 100 and realism.

There were a bunch of science guys living in a big mountain last season and there's also some people living in The Matrix who probably socially engineered the grounders to be savages.

I think I just realised that this show is Zardoz.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

WarLocke posted:

Okay, granted, but nobody thinks to call bullshit on him? Abby and Kane just spent months trying to figure out how to live with the Grounders, they finally work out a tenuous truce and avert a war, then some jackass shows up and is all 'we should kill em all!' and they're like, welp, guess he's boss now?

I guess I'm not pissed at his idiotic black/white attitude, more at how the writers have made everybody else on the show retarded so that a guy who literally tried to commit mass murder 12 hours ago is made the boss so they can wring out more easy DRAMA

The fact that it is a tenuous truce gives credence to Pike's insistence that they are at war. Kane and Abby had secured a ceasefire, not peace. The grounders were more trusting and cooperative with the Ark people last year in the build up to Mount Weather than they were now (Indra was giving them combat training etc.).

All that's transpired since then was Lexa betraying the Ark survivors, and the Ark folk killing all of the Mountain Men anyway and saving all of the grounders from their biggest threat. The grounders should have been all over the Ark people after that. If Indra was such a friend to Arkadia she should have sent over labor and supplies to help the Ark people build a proper home. There should have been free flowing trade and knowledge sharing between their people. Instead, Abby and Kane are walking on egg shells trying to desperately avoid a war when grounder-Ark relations should be at their highest point. Even before Pike attacked, Lexa's affection for Clarke was the only thing preventing an unprovoked massacre of Arkadia by the grounders.

Pike wasn't destroying a hard fought peace, but choosing to strike first in a fight Kane was doing his best to pretend wasn't coming - and that's how he easily won the support of the camp.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

It's also pretty obvious that the current grounder leadership is on borrowed time. There's not much point to being Lexa's 13th Concubine de Hemoglobine when there's a new 'Nightblood' in the Ice Nation just itching slit Roan throat in his sleep and take over. The other tribes didn't even hesitate when genociding Arkadia was put to a vote.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Well this was my big complaint prior to the most recent episode. They handled it pretty competently. This last episode pretty much establishes that most of the "good" Arkers literally weren't seeing what was going on and were just sort of sticking to their "this is our legal system", we've come back from worse. They show Kane and Abby being pretty much in shock when Pike gets back at the fact that it really happened. While this doesn't make the characters any smarter, it does keep them consistent.

The same thing this show does with it's younger characters, making them purposely naive so we can see you young peoples world views are formed, it also does for the older characters. The are the old guard who cling to the system out of comfort of the familiar and are out of touch with modern sensibilities. None of the characters are particularly smart, but the writers are, and they've set up the conflict of ideologies that they want to explore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Problem is it's set in the an alternate universe.... and the bombs didn't drop until 40 years from now. Who's to say it wasn't already hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

enraged_camel posted:

They stopped doing that when they realized Mt Weather brutally hosed them up whenever they tried to hold on to the old world in any way possible. Or whenever they needed to kidnap more people. Or probably just wanted to gently caress someone up for sport. There's a reason English is the language of the enemy, it's because if you speak it Mt Weather knows what you are saying. So they moved to a proto-English language that is close enough to be picked up quickly, but distinct enough to not instantly be decipherable to listeners that only know English. When you combine the fact they can not maintain technology on fear of being brutally murdered by scary rear end monster people in their impenetrable fortress bunker, and the fact they've eliminated their native language except among the most trusted warrior caste? You have a civilization primed to regress and evolve at rapid speed. I'm sure there are some that know that "Tondc" was once Washington, DC. Lincoln met someone from the Ark when he was a child, and was naturally curious about him. Not everyone is going to be unreflective and totally accepting of the status quo, and might consider the way things were. It's just that the status quo was maintained for a pretty solid reason [Challenge it and crazy monsters will come and slaughter you and everyone you love], and most people aren't going to be that interested in bucking it.

There's a reason that trader post girl calls Clarke a hero, and they instantly mythologize her as the Commander of Death for killing the Mountain. The defining feature of Grounder life was pathological fear of Mt Weather and everything they did. It's a massive deal that it's gone now, and the existence of everything about their society is now called into question.

As for there still being parts of the old world around....well we do see them every so often. The fact we deal with like the same 4 locations and the road between them cuts down on chances to see new stuff though.

• Locked thread