Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone have that summary someone made of the Legions that work best with the Calth set right out the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So I finally got a paint scheme going for my alpha legion. Unfortunately I just can not, for the life of me, get the turquoise of the armor to show up in my camera.

This is the scheme for basic troops and vehicles (troops, vet squads, rhinos, sicarans, etc) it is supposed to be sotek green:

This is the color scheme for my special dudes, (hqs, headhunters, lernaeans, contemptors, etc):

As promised how I made the terminators out of BAC hold the axes:

In the above picture you can see the groove left by either the knife (very slow I dont recommend) or the dremel (this method is fast and easy just be careful)

You can see a bit more of the groove and also the power pack I left on as it gives some depth to the gauntlet and makes it seem a little bit less jury-rigged.

All in all I am extremely happy with the way the paint on both types came out, especially the Lernaean, he was a joy to paint, and best of all, no airbrush required!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ijyt posted:

Does anyone have that summary someone made of the Legions that work best with the Calth set right out the box?

RG, AL, IF, IW (just get some cyclones to cram on the termies)

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So I'm thinking about where to expand my iron warriors next, I have in my collection:
Various HQ choices in praetors and centurions.
30 tacticals with another 30 Calth ones on sprue.
3 rhinos
5 support dudes with melta guns.
5 seekers
3 apothecaries
2 Kheres contemptors
2 double fist contemptors
6 gun/fist dreads
5 destroyers
15 Calth cataphractii terminators, only 5 built (as bolter/fists)
3 "rapier" platforms and their gunners
Fire raptor
Predator executioner
Dodo
2 leviathans
10 iron Havocs 5 lascannon 5 autocannon.
2 medusas
Autocannon predator
Perturabo

drat that seems like a lot once I type it out, I don't feel bad about it because eBay and 3rd party stuff saves a lot.

What's a good direction to go with my legion? Cool ideas I could try etc. I was thinking maybe some sicaran of either variant?
Just fishing for goon advice/suggestions.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 21, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You might as well go all-out on infantry, to get the most out of Wrack and Ruin. Perturabo is probably a top-3 primarch, as long as you give him Forgebreaker. With 2 Medusas you should consider the new Ironfire Rite of War, which is extremely flavorful: you get reduced scatter and Ironfire markers by dropping barrage templates near your own units, so your army turns into this slow-rolling death march as you walk down the board (you get fearless if you're near an Ironfire marker). This is also loving dope with Perturabo being able to deep strike on turn 1. Warsmiths aren't great, but Erasmus Golg is pretty rad and could work well with your 15 terminators. You're basically going to max out your troops and heavy support slots.

Sicaran wise, go for the regular one. Hixson has brought the Venator the past few games and it just doesn't do that much.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

DJ Dizzy posted:

RG, AL, IF, IW (just get some cyclones to cram on the termies)

Ehhh look I am not super sure about the Cyclones on the Terminators. I mean like I guess straight out of the box the Tyrant Siege dudes might be okay but I don't think they'll mesh well if you expand the army.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think I've got my Ultramarines colour scheme down.

I went with the lighter blue because I think it looks a lot better than the regular dark blue you see them in all the time.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Looks more like AL tbh.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DJ Dizzy posted:

Looks more like AL tbh.

Maybe he's Alpharius, who knows? :tinfoil:

e: You've got me really tempted to paint Alpha Legion now you monster

Endman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 21, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Endman posted:

e: You've got me really tempted to paint Alpha Legion now you monster

Or have I? Maybe it's just a plot...

Endman
May 18, 2010

So I had a read of the Alpha Legion rules and with a simple repaint of the gold...

We are now Alpharius.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Endman posted:

I think I've got my Ultramarines colour scheme down.

I went with the lighter blue because I think it looks a lot better than the regular dark blue you see them in all the time.

The 'nose on the armour and one of the shoulder pads being white or black would look very ultras

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

The 'nose on the armour and one of the shoulder pads being white or black would look very ultras

It's too late, I've succumbed to the madness.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So I'm repacking my Salamanders so decided to take a picture of the force I've put together so far.

Still to do:
1 Contemptor on the painting table
1 Terminator on the painting table
3 Rhinos to buy
5 Command Squad dudes to buy
5 Heavy Flamer dudes to buy
10 Flamers to add to my weaponless support squad dudes
2 Apothecaries on the painting table
Dreadclaw to buy
Siege Dreadnought to buy

Then I'm going to branch out into Shattered Legions. This is a long term project!

Album:http://imgur.com/a/UQtub

Motto of the detachment: Flame it and Claim it!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Endman posted:

So I had a read of the Alpha Legion rules and with a simple repaint of the gold...

We are now Alpharius.

loving sick, dude.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I was originally going to go with Ultramarines with Solar Auxilia allies, but now that I've read about Armies of Dark Compliance, I think it would be totally rad and fluffy to run Alpha Legion and a swarm of Cult Militia.

It also has the added bonus that plastic cultists are cheap as chips in terms of Warhammer models. Not to mention that the Forgeworld Renegade models are also pretty cool.

I have to admit, the one rule that drew me to an Army of Dark compliance was the increased save when being shot through Militia units, who take casualties when you do. Because expendable, non-scoring meatshields are hilarious.

I could also run the new Sacrificial Offering RoW, which is also pretty fluffy, particularly if you've read the first part of Dan Abnett's Legion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if you can apply 'provances' (or whatever they are called) to militia. If you can- you could make them fearless with rending attacks in close combat. Levy squads cost 100 points for like 60 models. Two of those squads supported by a few units of artillery would be a pretty scary anvil for your Alphas to then strike around. Fluffy, good, and fun to play.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just played against a 30k Imperial Fists list and he was getting Sniper on all his bolter weapons, but I'm not sure how he was doing that?

He's a new player so it could have been an honest mistake, but it cut my poo poo up pretty good.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Tactical veterans get to pick a special rule, tank hunter, outflank, sniper, fearless, or furious charge.
On bs5 boltguns it's just nasty.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just checked out his posted list and it's the rite of war that makes veterans troops and he took sniper on everything.

Heavy bolters with suspensor webs and sniper are not the friends of Carnifexes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

When we get to the point where I can take Horus I'm looking forward to taking Sniper Vets because he gives them Outflank and makes them Troops choices along with Justaerin. :hawksin:

Endman
May 18, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm not sure if you can apply 'provances' (or whatever they are called) to militia. If you can- you could make them fearless with rending attacks in close combat. Levy squads cost 100 points for like 60 models. Two of those squads supported by a few units of artillery would be a pretty scary anvil for your Alphas to then strike around. Fluffy, good, and fun to play.

I had another look at the rules and while Armies of Dark Compliance don't get Provenances because they have to take a Legiones Astartes HQ while counting as the same detatchment, using the Sacrificial Offering RoW means that the Militia will be Allies and thus able to take their own HQ, so they would get Provenances. Either way, I think it sounds like a lot of fun to field some marines with a bunch of squishy militia dudes. And Alpha Legion get them as Sworn Brothers too, which is nice.

Looks like I've got a lot of cultists to paint.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endman posted:

I had another look at the rules and while Armies of Dark Compliance don't get Provenances because they have to take a Legiones Astartes HQ while counting as the same detatchment, using the Sacrificial Offering RoW means that the Militia will be Allies and thus able to take their own HQ, so they would get Provenances. Either way, I think it sounds like a lot of fun to field some marines with a bunch of squishy militia dudes. And Alpha Legion get them as Sworn Brothers too, which is nice.

Looks like I've got a lot of cultists to paint.

Do note that the new book gives the Ultramarines a new rite that uses Imperial Militia buddies, although it limits said buddies to using the Gene Crafted and Warrior Elite provenances.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Do note that the new book gives the Ultramarines a new rite that uses Imperial Militia buddies, although it limits said buddies to using the Gene Crafted and Warrior Elite provenances.

That is cool, but I'm too tempted to run a bunch of crazy warp-addled idiots, maybe led by a rogue psyker who could turn into a possessed at any moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endman posted:

That is cool, but I'm too tempted to run a bunch of crazy warp-addled idiots, maybe led by a rogue psyker who could turn into a possessed at any moment.

Fair enough, the Ultramarine rite is themed as the Ultras bringing along some auxiliaries to provide extra numbers, scoring, and fire support. The Ultras have to take a Vigilator, and the militia get infiltrate and implacable advance. Recon squads lose the support squad thing so they can be taken as your compulsory troops, too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I was checking out FW's Renegades and... is that a loving twin-Tec9 cultist?

:getin:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Endman posted:

I was checking out FW's Renegades and... is that a loving twin-Tec9 cultist?

:getin:

The renegade militia models are dope as gently caress.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Those things would make a fluffy Death Guard list look baller as gently caress.

I can't fathom how I'd make that work with EC. They're just too perfect as they are.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

By and large these are my faves of all the heavy support kits. I still like the giant backpacks on the devestator models, and that missile launcher looks dorky as hell ('cause it's a throwback), but these are solid. I expect lots of BA players are gonna run the rotor cannons as assault cannons.

e: Those arm gaps. Dual kits *fart*

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

By and large these are my faves of all the heavy support kits. I still like the giant backpacks on the devestator models, and that missile launcher looks dorky as hell ('cause it's a throwback), but these are solid. I expect lots of BA players are gonna run the rotor cannons as assault cannons.

e: Those arm gaps. Dual kits *fart*

Sweet. Agreed on the missile launcher, shoulder is still best. And two types of rotor cannons will make BA players very happy.
Now bring on the alternate volkites and we're in business.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 22, 2016

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
That rotor cannon looks amazing. I may have to come up with a reason to have a heavy weapon squad on hand to make use of those.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Use them as heavy bolters, because otherwise lol rotor cannons.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Ended up not having much trouble giving the BaC terminator Character a sword for my DA. The terminator sword in the 40k Company Veterans kit worked perfectly. Basically, I just cut off the chainsaw extension on the Character's Chainfist and sanded the point where it extended from flat. Then I cut just the sword's blade off the Company Veterans terminator sword arm and attached it where the chainsaw piece used to be. It made a pretty rad wrist-sword thing, I like it.

Has anyone tried using Volkite Culverins as their Contemptor arms? I'm wondering if they're very useful at all. I know for DA it might be better just to give him 2 Heavy Bolter arms for the acid shells but I already have a bunch of those on my Tactical Veteran units, so I wanted something different. Somehow a Contemptor shooting laser beams sounds pretty DA to me. I'm really going more for theme here; if I wasn't then I'd obviously just get him Kheres Assault Cannons.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want those rotor cannons but I'm vary of the inevitable BA nerf. drat.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Those Rotor Cannon arms are the best looking heavy weapons I've ever seen and should be used for everything.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those rotor cannons look fantastic, but hahaha rotor cannons. I think the underslung missile launcher and lascannon look kind of off, but the missile launcher would probably be cool in a destroyer squad. If they didn't already come with their own launcher variant already.

On that note, I hope destroyers get a points drop in the new red book. I want to take a squad or two because their wargear looks really fun. Just not at 400+ for a ten-man squad with jump packs, rad missiles, and phosphex.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I think people are jumping the gun with the new BA stuff. I don't think its intended that you can swap out heavy flamers if the unit/model doesnt start with a heavy flamer, as much as I would have enjoyed a contemptor with two underslung/shoulder mounted rear end cannons.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you interpret it that way then you can't take it in terminator squads either, which is obviously not the intent. The Imperial Fist rule would still work for Blood Angels as written in that case, but still.

If only rotor cannons were ST4. That way they'd be a shorter-range heavy bolter when stationary with the option to fire on the move, and slightly better than bolters on the move + with a longer range, which is not much of a niche but it would not be total poo poo.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

As is it just seems way over available for only 5 points on top of the heavy Flamer. Clearly loyalist bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mango Polo posted:

Sweet. Agreed on the missile launcher, shoulder is still best. And two types of rotor cannons will make BA players very happy.
Now bring on the alternate volkites and we're in business.

With the right paint job those missile launchers would look great in a Space Sharks devastated squad.