Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

No heh. 11 out of the top 16 and 20 out of the top 32.

Didn't Wizards state that they banned Pod because it was 15-20% of the meta or something? I don't remember the exact number but I remember them giving an actual number in the ban announcement. If that representation is ban-worthy than >50% metagame presence definitely is.

What's the highest representation % that one deck type has ever had in an event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Cactrot posted:

I don't see how you can say that with a straight face when the deck that won had a transformational anti Eldrazi sideboard plan, that only proves that the eldrazi decks are format warping.

Oh it wasn't a straight face. Although I can hope. Also all of modern sideboards are silver bullet boards. I still expect to see Eye eat a ban but it's still playable without Eye. Just not really stupid playable.

mcmagic posted:

No heh. 11 out of the top 16 and 20 out of the top 32.

True, but this is the first tournament since the protour and it didn't win. It still showed very well obviously but it isn't unbeatable.

C-Euro posted:

Didn't Wizards state that they banned Pod because it was 15-20% of the meta or something? I don't remember the exact number but I remember them giving an actual number in the ban announcement. If that representation is ban-worthy than >50% metagame presence definitely is.

What's the highest representation % that one deck type has ever had in an event?

Eldrazi flavors were less than 20% of the field this tournament.

Edit: looking at the breakdown of the meta since the protour all combined Eldrazi flavors make up less than 15%. Affinity is a little less than 11%

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 22, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Magic tournaments are mentally taxing and stressful.

I meant in general, not this specific match but thanks for the glib rear end reply lol.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

True, but this is the first tournament since the protour and it didn't win. It still showed very well obviously but it isn't unbeatable.

It didn't win because it played against its one bad match up, and it was still one turn 2/3 Thought-Knot, or one topdecked Disenchant from winning that game. And he had a ton of draws that could have bought him time.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

And something like 50% of the day 2 decks.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Luckily with this affinity win the ban may not be coming so quickly.

Affinity with artifact lands and skullclamp legal didn't win the mirrodin block pro tour and we all know how that ended up

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I think it's pretty cool that BFZ was such a nonfactor in standard a lot of players stopped playing it and moved into modern. Then Oath took a big ol dump in modern, and they banned the most popular deck right before that. I went to a standard ppppppptq yesterday not expecting a big turn out because of the unpopularity of standard the last several months. Huge turnout. Multiple people saying they moved back into standard because of modern going off the rails.
Is this all a conspiracy to get people back into standard? Thought Knot Seer prominently features a large, all seeing eye... EYE of Ugin...hedrons are just two pyramids stuck together at the bottom... Makes ya think......

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Affinity with artifact lands and skullclamp legal didn't win the mirrodin block pro tour and we all know how that ended up

This is also true but standard is a different animal than modern. The toolkit in modern is a bit bigger.

Also don't think I believe Eye won't be banned it totally will be, but for now WHHHEEEEEEE

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

just rust posted:

I think it's pretty cool that BFZ was such a nonfactor in standard a lot of players stopped playing it and moved into modern. Then Oath took a big ol dump in modern, and they banned the most popular deck right before that. I went to a standard ppppppptq yesterday not expecting a big turn out because of the unpopularity of standard the last several months. Huge turnout. Multiple people saying they moved back into standard because of modern going off the rails.
Is this all a conspiracy to get people back into standard? Thought Knot Seer prominently features a large, all seeing eye... EYE of Ugin...hedrons are just two pyramids stuck together at the bottom... Makes ya think......

You can't prove aliens didn't invent the hedrons.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Here's a question, I have a karn liberated with a damaged corner (there is a large, visible crease on on of the cards corners). What should I value/trade it at? I was thinking 30, but should I try going lower?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Didn't the Disciple of the Vault deck win that?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You're being disingenuous. Wasn't the winning deck Elf & Nail (with Skullclamp) instead?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

just rust posted:

Yeah... standard has definitely been more popular the last few weeks. I have somewhat hated moving away from modern but what can you do?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh it wasn't a straight face. Although I can hope. Also all of modern sideboards are silver bullet boards. I still expect to see Eye eat a ban but it's still playable without Eye. Just not really stupid playable.
all of the answers cost enough that the fast mana of the Eldrazi decks have near lethal on board before you can deploy your answers

quote:

It got beat with a sideboard, that absent the Eldrazi decks, no one would play.

quote:

Edit: looking at the breakdown of the meta since the protour all combined Eldrazi flavors make up less than 15%. Affinity is a little less than 11%

Of 65 players on day 2, 31 had eye and temple in their decks. There were 5 affinity players.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's pretty bizarre to me to see defenses of the massive amount of the metagame Eldrazi is taking up when people were terrorized by the much less played Splinter Twin.

I guess it's the emotional response to being comboed out versus somehow feeling like you're in the game against the Eldrazi deck even though you're frequently dead from turn 0.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

The game wasn't that much smaller in New Phyrexia.

rabidsquid posted:

Memory Jar wasn't legal during New Phyrexia, dawg.

Memory Jar has been the only emergency ban. Not sure what you were thinking of, but the game was a ton smaller in that era.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mikujin posted:

Memory Jar has been the only emergency ban. Not sure what you were thinking of, but the game was a ton smaller in that era.

Jace the Mindsculpter and Stoneforge Mystic were emergency banned. While New Phyrexia was in print.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Jace the Mindsculpter and Stoneforge Mystic were emergency banned. While New Phyrexia was in print.

They weren't, they got banned on the regular schedule, they were just banned in standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Newp.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXYMDu6dpY

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

No, they were just regular banned. SFM was even in an event deck at the time so WoTC had to specify that if you ran that event deck unmodified it would still be fine to play it in that context.

I think there was also a preemptive restriction of Mind's Desire in Vintage too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Cactrot posted:

all of the answers cost enough that the fast mana of the Eldrazi decks have near lethal on board before you can deploy your answers

It got beat with a sideboard, that absent the Eldrazi decks, no one would play.

Of 65 players on day 2, 31 had eye and temple in their decks. There were 5 affinity players.

I don't understand why you are arguing with me. I totally expect Eye to be banned. I just personally don't want to see it happen because playing these decks is fun.

The sideboard argument is kind of dumb because if affinity didn't exist no one would play hurkyl's recall or stony silence. That's what sideboards are, responses to the meta to increase your chances against specific decks. Of course no one would play the anti Eldrazi SB cards if Eldrazi didn't exist.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What's great is that in this case a weird edge case card (Squadron Hawk) likely was actually the culprit for the engine being too busted and might have been okay without it, but I think the Batterskull life gain mirrors probably still would annoyed people. There was actually a ton of viable poo poo during the Cawblade era, although Cawblade was still really busted and also the actual most fun deck of all-time to play.

God the Cawblade tech was great. Splashing Inferno Titan and Frost Titan as mirror tech :allears:

edit: loving Cunning Sparkmage / Basilisk Collar tech

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cactrot posted:

They weren't, they got banned on the regular schedule, they were just banned in standard.

What release did the ban coincide with? The ban was like in June, I don't remember any set being released that month.

EDIT: Did they announce the ban way ahead of time? Maybe that's why I remember it being disconnected from a set release.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 22, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't understand why you are arguing with me. I totally expect Eye to be banned. I just personally don't want to see it happen because playing these decks is fun.

The sideboard argument is kind of dumb because if affinity didn't exist no one would play hurkyl's recall or stony silence. That's what sideboards are, responses to the meta to increase your chances against specific decks. Of course no one would play the anti Eldrazi SB cards if Eldrazi didn't exist.

You're seriously arguing that this is healthy because:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rabidsquid posted:

What's great is that in this case a weird edge case card (Squadron Hawk) likely was actually the culprit for the engine being too busted and might have been okay without it, but I think the Batterskull life gain mirrors probably still would annoyed people. There was actually a ton of viable poo poo during the Cawblade era, although Cawblade was still really busted and also the actual most fun deck of all-time to play.

God the Cawblade tech was great. Splashing Inferno Titan and Frost Titan as mirror tech :allears:

edit: loving Cunning Sparkmage / Basilisk Collar tech

It's too bad SCG is in charge of naming poo poo now and instead of Cawblade we get UR Eldrazi. I mean someone can surely come up with better names than that.

rabidsquid posted:

You're seriously arguing that this is healthy because:

There seems to be a disconnect here somewhere.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What release did the ban coincide with? The ban was like in June, I don't remember any set being released that month.

EDIT: Did they announce the ban way ahead of time? Maybe that's why I remember it being disconnected from a set release.

It coincided with the release of the ban and restricted list update

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Were banned and restricted announcements even tied to set releases back then? I don't think Pro Tours were yet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What release did the ban coincide with? The ban was in June, I don't remember any set being released that month.

The B&R update didn't line up with set releases in the past.

Are people (not necessarily here) seriously suggesting that Eye and Temple won't get banned because the archetype didn't win? Do they think Wizards only looks at final results and no other factors?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

It coincided with the release of the ban and restricted list update

:bang:

how is it that i can remember the month of the announcement but not that, christ

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BJPaskoff posted:

The B&R update didn't line up with set releases in the past.

Are people (not necessarily here) seriously suggesting that Eye and Temple won't get banned because the archetype didn't win? Do they think Wizards only looks at final results and no other factors?

Nope just hoping it delays it a bit.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What Eldrazi sideboard cards? Worship and Ensnaring Bridge blank a lot of the format, in fact a lot of people have had a problem with that being a thing.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

So I did some back of the envelope tallying: of the 425 non-land cards in the top 8, 214 had a color. Of those, 37 were phyrexian spells. Jeff Hoogland's Kiki-Chord deck ran 62 cards in the main. Gutshots outnumbered Lightning Bolts. There were 19 Dismembers, and every single deck ran at least 1.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Dismember is nice. Lets all colors/non-colors have access to some type of removal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Finally, UW is good in Modern again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Finally, UW is good in Modern again.

Somewhere, a monkey's paw retracts a finger.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
whoa, when did foil time spiral ancient grudges go up?

edit: ABUgames still has a bunch

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 22, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

whoa, when did foil time spiral ancient grudges go up?

edit: ABUgames still has a bunch

Around the same time foil Rending Volleys hit $20. Which was like a month and a half ago I think?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Im actually expecting them to wait till SoI to see if that sorts out the Eldrazi problem, Madness will be great against reality smasher.

Also I legitimately think they should just ban Mimic to stomp out completely the ridiculous aggro kills, ontop of banning Eye.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Rimusutera posted:

Im actually expecting them to wait till SoI to see if that sorts out the Eldrazi problem, Madness will be great against reality smasher.

Also I legitimately think they should just ban Mimic to stomp out completely the ridiculous aggro kills, ontop of banning Eye.

They're gonna ride out this wave of selling a billion OGW packs as long as they can. If Modern GP numbers take a nosedive they might step in.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Brownhat posted:

They're gonna ride out this wave of selling a billion OGW packs as long as they can. If Modern GP numbers take a nosedive they might step in.

This is exactly why I dont think they'll act till SoI, yeah. They might be planning to print decent hosers in that set first, mainly aimed at Standard rather than modern but affecting the latter incidentally, and see how that shakes it up.

Really they should just ban Mimic and Eye now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's too bad SCG is in charge of naming poo poo now and instead of Cawblade we get UR Eldrazi. I mean someone can surely come up with better names than that.
Since it's not "Izzet Eldrazi" does that mean we are going back to RUG instead of Temur?

• Locked thread