Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WampaLord posted:

They should have done that first, before they had this PR nightmare on their hands, even if the girl is naive literally retarded and made some mistakes has made the worst decision possible at every point in the last five years.

I'm not so sure it's a PR nightmare. Stuff I've seen so far, at least 75% of comments are calling her an entitled twat. Could actually be a PR boon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I don't think slaves got wages

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want to live in New Hampshire some day. Is New Hampshit expensive?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How cold does San Francisco get at night?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Where are these big boobs she's bragging up?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I want to live in New Hampshire some day. Is New Hampshit expensive?

I dunno why don't you put on a heater like the rest of the bourgeoisie swine in New Hanshire

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I've also considered New Orleans so I can drink myself into liver failure and sacrifice my body to the hurricanes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

TLG James posted:

How cold does San Francisco get at night?

Pretty sure SF has like one of the most stable temps of any US city. It's between 50-70 most of the year. A true hellscape.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Professor Shark posted:

She's just fat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

Pretty sure SF has like one of the most stable temps of any US city. It's between 50-70 most of the year. A true hellscape.

People in the BA will put on scarves and wool caps and poo poo when it's 62 degrees out. Then they'll tell you it's because the ocean makes the air wet so it feels a lot colder. Then you tell them they're full of poo poo and are just pussified and you know it for a fact because you lived in Juneau for five years, and they shut up.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Pawn 17 posted:

lol at the people still defender her. As I said several pages back, she could have easily afforded to live in SF proper, in a nice neighborhood if she had simply found some roommates that had a rent controlled apartment. But no, "I am a 25 year old with a liberal arts degree and no real world experience, and I am entitled to my own apartment, at market rate, in the second most expensive city in the US! What?? My minimum wage job won't let me afford that? This country is hosed! Maybe if I write my CEO, he will make me vice president of tweets and pay me the $150k/yr I DESERVE!"
but are rent controlled apartments in the hipest locations?? i think not. there might be *gulpz* disadvantaged citizens there

Relin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 22, 2016

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

FrankieGoes posted:

People in the BA will put on scarves and wool caps and poo poo when it's 62 degrees out. Then they'll tell you it's because the ocean makes the air wet so it feels a lot colder. Then you tell them they're full of poo poo and are just pussified and you know it for a fact because you lived in Juneau for five years, and they shut up.

I heard that it was super expensive to live in Alaska c/d?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It depends on whether you're one of the 30% of Alaskans who have a TLC/Discovery reality show about them

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I thought alaska was just a big frosty trailer park

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Wait a minute, this changes everything!
"Honey get my wallet! There is a broad on the Internet that needs our help!"

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

FrankieGoes posted:

Not really but I served in the 1sr Cav so we would have gotten it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

The media keeps referring to her as a "tech employee." Her job was to talk on the phone to people who were pissed that a pizza place hosed up their order. Are the janitors at Google in STEM careers now?

Being an Uber driver is considered a tech job nowadays.

---

It is one of the methods that tech companies use to attract young naive people and exploit them for their labour. Dressing up a dead end, minimum wage job as an attractive career prospect is part of the problem. It is hard to say that she should have known better since it is a 'reasonable' sounding grift (get a tech job in a booming tech city) to any out-of-towner, and it works well enough to be self-perpetuating. If she reads tech media, she would constantly see stories lionising young people (living in cramped dorms) working for equity (in failing) start ups and doing (sub-minimum wage) work in the sharing economy during their spare time.

A dumb/naive, spoilt twenty-something expecting more than they are worth isn't a poster child for exploitation. Yet businesses are only too happy to take advantage of them for their own ends. That the CEO explains that they are moving jobs to Arizona because they are not viable in SF, but is happy to gently caress them over in the meantime is proof enough.

naem
May 29, 2011

Why did she not find a roommate? She had a lease, get another broke 20 year old to pay you half the $1200 a month. They can sleep on a bunk bed in the living room

scaremongerer
Mar 29, 2003
Where do we donate rice to her and her likely jobless dad? She clearly doesn't have any in her kitchen.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

naem posted:

Why did she not find a roommate? She had a lease, get another broke 20 year old to pay you half the $1200 a month. They can sleep on a bunk bed in the living room

20 years ago I lived in a studio near 6th & Market. The windows looked right into a one bedroom that housed about 12 men, who would sleep in bunks. Every morning around three, when I was coming home because I went out every night, the men would be rising and getting ready to go somewhere to do something. I always wondered: bakery? Dry cleaners? One man would stay behind and scrub the apartment.

Also, even in 1998 it was too expensive for my rear end and I was gone in three years. Awesome city though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Re: men in bunks, probably Janitors, Landscapers, or those guys that sell Mexican Street food/palletas.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I heard that it was super expensive to live in Alaska c/d?

Depends on whether or not you want to run the heater.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

crabcakes66 posted:

Who is stopping you from working or living where you want to again?

The government won't give me a free apartment in the middle of Manhattan! America truly is abominable, I bet people can go to whatever city they want and live wherever they want in South America and Europe.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

She should probably consider prostitution.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
up until about 15 years ago you could afford to live in the middle of manhattan making low wages like these. failure of the government to adequately regulate rental units is one of the major driving forces behind nyc and san fran becoming unaffordable. i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Moltke posted:

up until about 15 years ago you could afford to live in the middle of manhattan making low wages like these. failure of the government to adequately regulate rental units is one of the major driving forces behind nyc and san fran becoming unaffordable. i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.

I'd rather have nice places that poor people aren't stinking up and mugging people in

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moltke posted:

no thats entitled

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

no thats entitled

oh, ok

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Moltke posted:

i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.

Isn't this pretty much the definition of entitlement?

I mean you could argue that entitlement is not a bad or unreasonable thing in this case. But it's still entitlement.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Panfilo posted:

Re: men in bunks, probably Janitors, Landscapers, or those guys that sell Mexican Street food/palletas.

That apartment probably rents for $3k per month now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I almost did what this girl did, but in Los Angeles. This almost happened a month ago. The difference is that I asked friends for advice and they all slapped me across the head and told me I was making a gigantic mistake. I decided to not make the move to Los Angeles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moltke posted:

up until about 15 years ago you could afford to live in the middle of manhattan making low wages like these.
lol just lol

quote:

failure of the government to adequately regulate rental units is one of the major driving forces behind nyc and san fran becoming unaffordable.
nah it's not like rents were regulated a ton more in the past. It's more about inequality that pushes the market to such crazy heights. i think it's not a coincidence that nyc and SF, the homes of incredible wealth from wall st and the tech industry, are the cities that are distorted so badly.

there's also pressure from the weird international poo poo going on right now, where foreign wealth is looking for safety and the hot US real estate is where they want to park it. in the 80s LA was the in city and that's where the japanese were buying all sorts of overpriced stuff. this too shall pass.

quote:

i dont think its entitled to want to have a similar standard of living that our parents and forebears had.
some people also have a kinda wrong image of the standard of living their parents had when they were young, even if they grew up middle class. lots of people in the 60s lived in little 1000 sq foot houses and thought that was fine for a whole family.

now we have so much stuff that people want an apartment or condo that size for a "young professional" couple w/out kids

Moltke
May 13, 2009

crabcakes66 posted:

Isn't this pretty much the definition of entitlement?

I mean you could argue that entitlement is not a bad or unreasonable thing in this case. But it's still entitlement.

maybe in a strict legalistic sense, but not in the pejorative sense that people are using it in this thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

Fuckin millennials !!! :argh:

:agreed:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would need to happen to drive rental prices down? Like maybe the problem isn't wages, but just the cost of living is absurd and there should at the very least be something done about rent in cities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What would need to happen to drive rental prices down?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I said come in! posted:

What would need to happen to drive rental prices down?

a 9.0 earthquake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

lol just lol

??? it's true. I have lived in nyc my whole life and have seen the way it used to be.

quote:

nah it's not like rents were regulated a ton more in the past. It's more about inequality that pushes the market to such crazy heights. i think it's not a coincidence that nyc and SF, the homes of incredible wealth from wall st and the tech industry, are the cities that are distorted so badly.

hundreds of thousands of rent-stabilized units have disappeared from nyc over the past 20 years due to outdated regulation, so yes. after rent hits a certain threshold per month, a unit can be de-regulated, and that threshold was never adjusted for inflation and hasnt been updated in decades.

quote:

there's also pressure from the weird international poo poo going on right now, where foreign wealth is looking for safety and the hot US real estate is where they want to park it. in the 80s LA was the in city and that's where the japanese were buying all sorts of overpriced stuff. this too shall pass.

yes, developers are being incentivized by the state government to build large towers with units that sell for millions, but which sit empty for most (or all) of the year because they are being bought by wealthy foreigners to launder cash. the market is actively working against the housing demand, which is a place for rent regulation to step in (but isnt happening due to corruption),

quote:

some people also have a kinda wrong image of the standard of living their parents had when they were young, even if they grew up middle class. lots of people in the 60s lived in little 1000 sq foot houses and thought that was fine for a whole family.

1000 sq feet is gigantic by new york standards, and a great deal of our housing stock was built in the 20s and 30s, so most people here actually have a pretty good idea about what living standards were like for our parents and grandparents.

• Locked thread