Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

It's more complex than SC2k, but it feels really familiar at the same time. The at-a-glance interface is much more helpful and it gives you very clear information in regards to which buildings are receiving which services effectively. I like that tech is unlocked by population rather than over time. The only real mystery to me so far is the interaction formula between traffic and public transportation, which the game isn't particularly clear about.

It even gives me Sim City 1-style classifications for my town rank! It's great! Definitely try it out, you'll be back in your groove building a civil engineer's recurring nightmare in no time.
Cims seem to choose mode of transport by weighted preference. Basically for a given route on a given mode, look at travel time and multiply by a preference ratio - quickest travel time wins. Preferences average out across the population and are only really adjusted by policies. You want to target the swing voter by making public transport times meet or beat car travel time. Even if you don't, the existence of lovely public transport can still remove cars because of people who refuse to use cars if other modes exist.

The same thing even happens with industrial traffic and freight rail if you have multiple cargo stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rirse posted:

Tried the free weekened and bought it after enjoying what I played. I been doing well so far, but I noticed after a point in my city the new district would constantly have brownouts. I raised the funding for electricity and even put a wind turbine in, but they still keep getting brownouts.
Eventually you're just going to need multiple power plants, especially if you use the small ones like windmills.

Also worth noting, the electricity graph shows total power over the whole map -- if your buildings/power plants are broken up in unconnected chunks, one chunk could be running a shortage even if your total power is sufficient.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rirse posted:

Tried the free weekened and bought it after enjoying what I played. I been doing well so far, but I noticed after a point in my city the new district would constantly have brownouts. I raised the funding for electricity and even put a wind turbine in, but they still keep getting brownouts.

Are you doing a snow map and is temperature dropping? Because that's a new mechanic they put in: the lower the temperature the higher your power usage goes as people heat their homes. So when you start dropping down to freezing and below your power usage skyrockets. You can offset this by either over-building your power supply, or by building a heating building (steam boiler or geothermal) and upgrading your water pipes to carry socialized heat, which will double or triple your power efficiency on those cold nights.

Either that or your coal or oil power plant caught fire and is no longer producing power. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A common trap is building a coal power station and the coal trucks despawn in a traffic nightmare because it was placed in an industrial clusterfuck and it limps at lovely capacity until a truck manages to make it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So the new release has got me interested in this game again. Couple of Qs:

1. I don't have after dark - do I need it to play Snowfall?

2. Did the new update break any must have mods?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thinking about purchasing After dark half off. But is Snowfall worth it????????????????????????????????

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you're getting trams

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
trams or trans? Really sensitive subject here??

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Post op trams, once you pay for the DLC. You get what you pay for with the free update.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Koesj posted:

It's gotten an update a couple of hours ago. Works for me!

e: jfc these map themes are insane

(this one is mine)

e2:

It's Figueroa at Wilshire which I had on my maybe possibly to-do list but this one's ace enough not to try and steal its thunder.

That interchange is beyond lovely. Can you give more shots for... research?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Friction posted:

That interchange is beyond lovely. Can you give more shots for... research?

I've got numerous shots of large interchanges in my thread history and my symmetrical ones can be downloaded here. There's also this guide but I don't write gud. Have a nighttime top-down screenshot while you're at it!

Yeesh those neo-eclectic homes are kinda broken.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Koesj posted:

I've got numerous shots of large interchanges in my thread history and my symmetrical ones can be downloaded here. There's also this guide but I don't write gud. Have a nighttime top-down screenshot while you're at it!

Yeesh those neo-eclectic homes are kinda broken.

Yo what mods and process go into making beautiful roads like this? Mine all end up weird and all over the place

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Precision Engineering, No Pillars, Fine Road Heights, and Sharp Junction Angles are the main ones. Except for No Pillars they've all been updated after Snowfall, and I've encountered no big problems with them the last couple of days. Network Skins is great as well since it partially replaces No Pillars' limited functionality with the option to choose between all kinds of pillars for different road/rail types, plus there's new pillars to be downloaded from the Workshop as well!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I'm having a lot of trouble getting a city up and running in Snow maps. It seems like, no matter what I do, whether I'm running on wind or coal, or whether I'm using the realistic consumption mod or not, there hits a point where my power grid cannot sustain the heating, and I haven't unlocked dedicated heating, and I don't have the money to slap down more power plants. It's basically a fail state for cities, because I'm getting constant brown/black outs, people leave, my tax money goes into the red, which means I can't fix the problem, and so on.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Do assets/mods get updated automatically if you're subscribed to them, or do you have to unsubscribe/re-subscribe?

Now that I have like 500 assets my game is so slow in my 12 square city, 10-14 fps. I have to go through and get rid of some :(

E: now with the new update a lot of the assets are getting an error "too many vertices" what does that mean/what do I do?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 21, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CascadeBeta posted:

So I'm having a lot of trouble getting a city up and running in Snow maps. It seems like, no matter what I do, whether I'm running on wind or coal, or whether I'm using the realistic consumption mod or not, there hits a point where my power grid cannot sustain the heating, and I haven't unlocked dedicated heating, and I don't have the money to slap down more power plants. It's basically a fail state for cities, because I'm getting constant brown/black outs, people leave, my tax money goes into the red, which means I can't fix the problem, and so on.

At what point do you unlock heating btw? I've only played snow maps with "Unlock everything" on so I end up with a giant chunk of initial cash and the ability to remake the starting road section into something sensible to work off of.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
The weather effects in this game sure are pretty

There's also something entertaining about watching snow plows clearing highways at 70mph.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
How often does it rain? I've played for quite a bit now and it's been nothing but sunshine.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Do assets/mods get updated automatically if you're subscribed to them, or do you have to unsubscribe/re-subscribe?

Now that I have like 500 assets my game is so slow in my 12 square city, 10-14 fps. I have to go through and get rid of some :(

E: now with the new update a lot of the assets are getting an error "too many vertices" what does that mean/what do I do?

It means those assets are unoptimized pieces of poo poo that are slowing down your game. Get rid of them.

Stuff gets updated automatically btw!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

:toot:

Stoat posted:

So the new release has got me interested in this game again. Couple of Qs:

1. I don't have after dark - do I need it to play Snowfall?

2. Did the new update break any must have mods?

You don't need after dark for Snowfall and the new update does break some must have mods, but most of them have been updated already.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mackintosh posted:

How often does it rain? I've played for quite a bit now and it's been nothing but sunshine.

Every few in-game days, it seems like. I wonder if map biome has an impact?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pretty shot!

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.
Somebody else playing with the 'Rush Hour' mod? I really like the idea, but somehow it is not working for me. Traffic seems way too low, I have a population of about 75k and still don't need public transit, and my road network isn't that sophisticated. Taking a closer look at the traffic reveals that I mostly have commercial and industry trucks on my roads, which is quit odd. One of my bigger industry areas is only connected via highway, shouldn't there be a massive rush hour in the morning?
I tried to disabe 'Realistic Population' (or install the recommended 'Resident Travel Rebalance') but nothing is working for me. This game is really no fun without trying to fix the massive traffic problems. :(

thepostaldude fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 21, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CascadeBeta posted:

Emergency loans are your friend, friend. Take out a couple ten grand and drop down whatever you need to stopgap it, and then you can pay them off once your books are back in the black.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

thepostaldude posted:

Somebody else playing with the 'Rush Hour' mod? I really like the idea, but somehow it is not working for me. Traffic seems way too low, I have a population of about 75k and still don't need public transit, and my road network isn't that sophisticated. Taking a closer look at the traffic reveals that I mostly have commercial and industry trucks on my roads, which is quit odd. One of my bigger industry areas is only connected via highway, shouldn't there be a massive rush hour in the morning?
I tried to disabe 'Realistic Population' (or install the recommended 'Resident Travel Rebalance') but nothing is working for me. This game is really no fun without trying to fix the massive traffic problems. :(

Check your day/night cycle. If it's showing days of the week I think it's working. It should be especially obvious if you look at a school. If it's the weekend or night time it should be empty. The rush hours aren't especially potent for work days as not all cims work every day for whatever reason, but I definitely see daily commutes, as well as more cims active in commercial and leisure sites on the weekend. If you want to make the effect more potent you can make it so that there's less variation in working hours.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Koesj posted:

It means those assets are unoptimized pieces of poo poo that are slowing down your game. Get rid of them.

Stuff gets updated automatically btw!

How do I know which ones are poo poo and which aren't?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thin Privilege posted:

Don't download any growable building that is larger than 10 mb. I shoot for anywhere from 1-5.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rain is super-pretty at night.

Also the Peter Witt streetcar is a cool tram to use.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Don't download any growable building that is larger than 10 mb. I shoot for anywhere from 1-5.

Ah.

Does that apply to ploppable? I have a ton of parks and custom hospitals/police/school etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Also the Peter Witt streetcar is a cool tram to use.

I wonder if this is as reliable as the TTC streetcars

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Solve your downloadables problem with another download! Mesh Info will show the relative 'weight' of an asset'striangle count plus the size of its texture map, and both statistics for its LOD (level of detail model which you'll see when zoomed out) to boot. CTRL+ALT+M when in-game or in the asset editor, then sort by weight for some useful info. It's color coded!

PS: technically vertex count (cornerpoints of those triangles) can be massively influenced by the way a model is set up. If all the corners on the geometry connect it's going to be pretty low, but if you've got a nice and decent 5000 tri model but none of those vertices are welded, a lovely 15k vertex count might negatively influence the way the game runs (if multiple assets do this at least). Also, the way textures are unwrapped supposedly influences this as well, because solid geometry broken up into different texture 'shells' counts welded vertices along the seams double IIRC.

PPS: that's my 1000 de la Gauchetière redo which I'm not sure will ever see the light of day. Went from 4500 tris to almost 9000. Same texture map size though.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I've just had my third city start cascading into sickness. It seems to tip around 40k people. I just can't keep up with the illness, no matter how many hospitals I buy. I gonna load up an old save and hope I wasn't pumping doo doo into peoples showers. :ohdear:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You're definitely pumping doodoo into showers. Or industrial runoff, I suppose.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Rush Hour mod is brutal.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a list of maps they would recommend? I want to try some alternate maps, and the ones I found on Workshop are neat, but I feel a curated list would have overall more quality maps.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you look on the workshop for the highest rated maps, those are generally pretty solid.

My "essential" mods have been updated for 1.3.0. Also Snowfall support, but there's nothing in Snowfall that I must have NOW. While snow would be neat, it's extra micro management I don't need to deal with while I'm still bad at the game. Of course some mods just would work anyways as the files that referenced them didn't change.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just got After Dark on the team sale and I am trying to figure out some of the new buildings and acquaint myself with some old systems.

I take this that CIMs pilling at bus stops is no bueno? I have increased the funding but it doesn't seem to help.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Is it just me or is it a lot crashier lately? Saving seems to be a total coinflip as to whether it will work or whether it'll crash the game.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Um. What mod do we think would result in Elementary school students driving, and is it at all related to the same uneducated child driving to school in a straight line across snowy unpaved fields.

I was so pleased to see people cutting corners without pedestrian paths and um then that happened.

Edit: it was funny though since I guess the game has base km/h speed that roads multiply so it really looked like some kid slowly driving the car away

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Kat Delacour posted:

Um. What mod do we think would result in Elementary school students driving, and is it at all related to the same uneducated child driving to school in a straight line across snowy unpaved fields.

I was so pleased to see people cutting corners without pedestrian paths and um then that happened.

Edit: it was funny though since I guess the game has base km/h speed that roads multiply so it really looked like some kid slowly driving the car away

I believe that is a side-effect of the option in Rush Hour to increase parking spot usage. Luckily it's an option that can easily be toggled off.

As much as I love the look of parking lots full of cars beside my buildings, the weird ghost cars were too immersion-breaking for me.