Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'd tell you not to be pedantic when I say "army" lower-case but I know who I'm talking to. Active duty military is approx 1 1/4 million and reserves are like another 3/4 million IIRC. I wonder what percentage of those guys are necessary to maintain a navy that doesn't "need" 10 supercarrier groups, for example. We don't need them all because it's time for Europe and others to get off the NATO (or their local equivalent) welfare train. And I'm aware most troops aren't based overseas, it doesn't matter though. Troops at home or abroad are mostly a barrel of pork and make-work either way.

Glad you stopped bringing up Israel though. :allears:

No, active military is about 1.1 million, most of whom are desk jockeys these days. You're also being pretty ignorant if you think make-work isn't inherently good. Why not bring federal money and a measure of rotation of ideas (because there's people from other parts of the country being restationed to different areas throughout the normal military career) to backwater areas by having a military base there? I get it's because you have weird ideas of what's wasteful, but it isn't a bad thing.

Yeah because you stopped even making your flailing arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

No, active military is about 1.1 million, most of whom are desk jockeys these days. You're also being pretty ignorant if you think make-work isn't inherently good. Why not bring federal money and a measure of rotation of ideas (because there's people from other parts of the country being restationed to different areas throughout the normal military career) to backwater areas by having a military base there? I get it's because you have weird ideas of what's wasteful, but it isn't a bad thing.

Yeah because you stopped even making your flailing arguments.

This line might have a snowball's chance in hell if you were arguing with someone who doesn't favor a GMI. And even if I didn't, a couple hundred thousand dead Iraqis, amongst others further back in history, have zero responsibility to be on the hook for your inherently good make-work program.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

This line might have a snowball's chance in hell if you were arguing with someone who doesn't favor a GMI. And even if I didn't, a couple hundred thousand dead Iraqis, amongst others further back in history, have zero responsibility to be on the hook for your inherently good make-work program.

The Iraqis aren't dead because there's a million man military. Your arguments frankly don't make any sense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In fairness, you can have a military without going on imperialist adventures. I'm not sure you can have our military-industrial complex and de facto rule of Planet Earth without ending up in Iraq or wherever, but lots of other countries manage.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Regardless of the slapfighting, keep posting those candidate analyses YF19pilot, it's interesting to have the positions of the various Libertarian candidates laid out in a logical and readable way that cuts out all the useless :words: that most Libertarian candidates fill their website pages with.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

fishmech posted:

The Iraqis aren't dead because there's a million man military. Your arguments frankly don't make any sense.

It was an indispensable enabler, your distinction is academic. But then you are the fishmech.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

It was an indispensable enabler, your distinction is academic. But then you are the fishmech.

Actually when we did it, we had 1.5 million active duty people in the military. Try again.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Alright, I'm going to do two more, then I got to get to grading homework. Nothing like having to bring my work home with me.

Steve Kerbel of Colorado
Slogan: I Am Libertarian
Blog: https://stevekerbel.wordpress.com/
A businessman and author of the book Take “Everyman” Down – A 12 Step Program to servitude of the American Populace and Destruction of the American Dream.
Now available through Google Books.

1. Who are you and why are you running for president?

About Steve posted:

Steve’s presence in the business world for nearly 30 years has given him great perspective. He has witnessed first-hand the pitfalls for the individual in a climate of an ever-growing excessive and aggressive government. As an experienced entrepreneur, he has witnessed and weathered the wrath of an overzealous government and has seen its impact on individuals, businesses, consumers and employees.

Websites vary his name, either as Steven or Steve, but on his own websites he lists himself as Steve.

Steve is a businessman who has been present for 30 years. What that means, Steve doesn't elaborate on. He doesn't have a detailed resume, and his website, wordpress, and Facebook don't say what his occupation is. His book is apparently only available through Google Books and took some cajoling on my part to get Google to even display the link in a search result. Seriously, Google thought I wanted a music video by country music band Alabama. I digress. Steve Kerbel has little to no background information, and spends most of his about page rambling on Libertarian talking points.

Digging up a random profile on Bloomberg.com does reveal a Steven Kerbel as President of Rio National Insurance Services, Inc., of Colorado Springs, CO. There is no picture available to cross check, so this may or may not be the same Steve(n) Kerbel, but being involved in insurance does fit the bill of not actually saying that you're involved in insurance, just "business". Rio National's website doesn't provide much information to confirm or deny this. Further, according to the BBB page for Rio National the company and a single named defendant, Kerbel, is/was under investigation for securities violations. It's a bit of legalese that goes above my head, so if you're into finance I suggest reading the complaint.

Mr. Kerbel believes that the government is not running the way it should, the way it was intended (or at least the way he thinks it was intended), and that the relationship between government and governed is currently an antagonistic one. He feels he should be president because (paraphrasing) "I don't know why the government isn't the way I think it should be and the way I interpret the founders intent. Let's just roll everything back to 1789." Well, at least he's not advocating for 19th century principles, he wants 18th century principles.

His WordPress website is pretty loving dense. His Facebook feed reads like a typical Ron Paul supporter's, full of inane Libertarian memes, like this:

2. Illegal immigration.

Immigration posted:

Goal: To solve the problem of illegal immigration

Reason: Illegal immigration represents a problem that can be addressed with a Liberty based solution. Illegal immigration also creates an unfair labor situation, as taxation is not consistent with legal citizens and residents. In common with many of our issues, the problem relates to our own laws.
First Step: In order to get to the point in which immigration is an easy process and our borders are easier to manage, border security should be re-worked in order to more efficiently identify those who plan to enter our country to bring us harm or to take advantage of public benefits paid for by taxpayers. A program of identifying the people that are here without proper entry or identification should be implemented, those without criminal records should be allowed the opportunity to apply for legal residency. Once we have a handle on who is entering the country, and we have developed a system that allows us to be aware of and manage threats, we need to relax this security and aim towards an environment in which people can come and go as they please, while not skirting the same taxation that citizens and documented immigrants take responsibility for.

Ultimate goal: Simple and swift border identification of all persons entering the United States. Once no opportunity would exist that allows people to take advantage of our public benefits from crossing without authority, and illicit drug possession is decriminalized, a streamlined process should be implemented for people who wish to enter the United States legally. Because taxes would not be paid via employment, everyone would pay a share of the cost of running the country via their consumer behavior. Because drug possession would not be a criminal issue, the smuggling of drugs and associated violence would no longer be a problem. Two way reciprocity of free movement via the Mexican and Canadian borders is the ultimate goal.

Secure the border! Then...unsecure it? He starts down the road of a Moderate/Liberal Republican's idea, but stops short of building a wall. To be fair, where Mr. Ince proposed a similar idea but also wanted to dismantle any kind of Federal law enforcement, Mr. Kerbel does not outright state or advocate eliminating any such Federal powers. His statement here also does hint at the idea (possibly) of a national sales tax to fund the Federal government.

3. Middle East.

Foreign Policy posted:

Goal: To remove American troops from as many foreign assignments as possible, and draw down financial support to sovereign nations.
Reason: Sovereign countries must take the responsibility of providing their own protection and financing and without a threat to the United States, our military personnel should not be in harm’s way.

First Step: Diplomacy with foreign nations to prepare them for this eventuality. Immediately reduce our presence by a percentage to be exacted following first approach via diplomacy. Draft an exit plan, complete with agreement with the allied nation for our withdrawal without upsetting their security.

Ultimate goal: To remove all of our military personnel from foreign situations that do not threaten the United States, thereby reducing the military expenses.

Mr. Kerbel's withdraw/military isolationist strategy is more measured than the typical Libertarian "off switch". It still seems naive to me, as it doesn't account for allies that may be too weak to provide for their own defense, and seems to ignore threats to allies that aren't necessarily threats to the US. I recognize that I'm probably more hawkish than most people on D&D, so I will just say that, to me, while Mr. Kerbel's argument doesn't come across completely retarded, I disagree with the level of draw down that he's advocating.

4. Government Spending.

Steve Kerbel doesn't address the issue of Government Spending directly. So, onto taxes!

5. What is your tax plan?

Kerbel's stance on Taxes and Economy are intertwined, so I'm posting the whole section.

Economy Taxation and Jobs posted:

Goal: To eliminate personal and corporate income tax

First Step: Repeal the sixteenth amendment to the constitution. Estimate the necessary revenue needed to pay committed expenses and debt payments, and convert this amount to a procurement tax that covers the obligations that we are committed to pay. A system to protect those with lower means from a portion of these taxes would be implemented.
Ultimate Goal: To allow a person to keep the fruits of their labor, and still pay the obligations committed to by the federal government.

Typical anti-tax Conservative argument. End income tax, implement a national sales tax, and implement a voucher/refund system for low-income earners.

Goal: To eliminate the Federal Reserve

First Step: As this process will take decades to ultimately achieve, the first step is to begin building a replacement framework backed by the free market that serves to provide stability in our financial market, and the international financial markets that follow ours. While implementing this framework, the legislative process begins, as the elimination of the Fed will be very complex, and just as many of the other reforms must be executed methodically to avoid collapse and panic, the replacement of the Fed with free market controls must be done with planning and forethought.

Ultimate goal: For the Federal reserve to be eliminated and replaced with the free market.

End the Fed! Let the markets decide monetary policy and what currency to use! But do it in a cautious and measured way so that our economy won't collapse.

Goal: To encourage job creating and return manufacturing jobs to the United States

First Step: Manufacturing left the USA due to many reasons, as did many companies that employed millions of Americans of all education spectrums. The top three have to be high corporate taxes, excessive union demands, and baseless employee lawsuits. I have addressed the fact that removal of corporate income tax is part of my plan, and hopefully unions will be more mindful of the big picture in the future. The first step in this process would need to be a reform that punishes those who file fraudulent and/or exaggerated lawsuits to receive nuisance value and beyond. I would immediately request a bill for my signature that creates a strong deterrent for baseless and opportunistic lawsuits with exaggerated claims. Not only would this help to reduce many ancillary costs such as insurance, medical care and consumer goods, but it will serve as a peace offering to business that the USA is once again a smart place to do business.

Ultimate goal: To revitalize the large metropolitan areas of our country by bringing back a huge former source of employment, and build new sources, which creates opportunity for many regardless of their educational background. We do not accomplish this via legislation, we accomplish this by reducing and eliminating government barriers against businesses both large and small, and all Americans.

End corporate taxes! gently caress the Unions (but I believe in the NAP, so hopefully the unions will gently caress themselves)! And gently caress Lawyers!

Have you ever hosed a melon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtAn7aiQXEw

Despite the lack of the beautiful Scottish accent of Scott Manley, I feel that Steve Kerbel's rocket to the presidency will go as well as most of my rockets in Kerbal Space Program. He may not gently caress a melon, but his melon is hosed.

Bonus Libertarian Meme Round!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I am not going to vote for a man with less mspaint skills than me; sorry Stevie.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Hey, just because you were beaten 1/2 to death doesn't mean a crime was committed. That's just what happens to people on a picket line.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

Actually when we did it, we had 1.5 million active duty people in the military. Try again.

Yeah that falls into the set of million+. Definite enabler of OIF, Iraqis aren't on the hook to be collateral for your make-work, I think that about covers it.

eNeMeE posted:

Hey, just because you were beaten 1/2 to death doesn't mean a crime was committed. That's just what happens to people on a picket line.

Being disabled from an assault would probably be considered a loss of liberty, in all seriousness. Because as you noted you're still alive in that case.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 21, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This is quite tragic actually. This is the MS Paint version of the joke acts they bring on America's Got Talent so they can crush their dreams.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Slogan: I Am Libertarian (because I ate all the other libertarians to gain their power)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I took a break from writing to grade homework. Somehow children with terrible handwriting and poor English skills is more relaxing than reading about Libertarians.

Enough of that, onto our second big name of the list:

John McAfee of Tennessee
Slogan: Uninstall The System
http://www.whoismcafee.com/
Twitter: @officialmcafee #mcafee16 #UninstallTheSystem

McAfee2016.com posted:

Cybersecurity Legend.
Entrepreneur Extraordinaire.
Privacy Advocate.
Libertarian.

Unless you live under a rock, or are somehow reading this without having used a computer before in your life, you've heard of John McAfee, or at least his most well known product, the McAfee Anti-Virus suite (now Intel Security). Perhaps, however, you didn't catch wind of all the crazy stuff he's been up to in recent years. In 2012 his home in Belize was raided, and McAfee was arrested for possession of unlicensed drug equipment and possession of an unlicensed firearm. He was later released with no charges.

Later that same year, the Belize police announced a man hunt for McAfee as a "person of interest" in connection to the murder of another American expat living in Belize, and McAfee's neighbor. McAfee fled the country, fearing he would be killed by the Belize police. He was later exposed in Guatemala, and then came out publicly. He was arrested by Guatemalan police for illegal entry, and claims to have faked two heart attacks to buy time for his lawyer to convince the Guatemalan authorities to deport him to the US rather than back to Belize. As of 2014, the Belize police have not pursued McAfee nor made any accusations against him. They seized his property and auctioned it off, and his home burned down due to suspicious circumstances.

This past August, McAfee was arrested in Tennessee for DUI and possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Most recently, McAfee has made waves by offering to hack the seized iPhone of used by one of the San Bernardino shooters in last year's attack. Some critics have cried that this is counter to McAfee's own stance on privacy issues, to which McAfee stated that he believes the FBI should not force Apple to build a backdoor, and that offering to hack the iPhone during a "power lunch" is not the same issue.

This is John McAfee.

2. Illegal immigration.

Immigration posted:

Building a wall does nothing to increase our National Security.
Terrorists determined to enter the country will do so, no matter how much we attempt to secure our borders. The key to reducing terrorism is reducing our interference in the affairs of other nations.
Our borders should be opened, and the money now spent on patrolling them should be spent on creating a documentation process and an education system for immigrants. We must also realize we cannot have open borders and at the same time maintain the current level of our entitlement system.
There are millions of people who want to immigrate to the US, most of which want to do so legally. That said, there are simply so many barriers in the way of legal immigration that it is often infinitely easier to immigrate illegally.
A McAfee administration would look to make immigration a much easier process. That does not, however, mean rubber stamping every immigration form that comes in. The process can be made more efficient and streamlined, but there must still be conditions that must be met.
America is a nation of immigrants. With common sense solutions, and an end to entitlement programs that encourage unproductivity, immigration can once again be seen as an asset rather than a xenophobic, “rally-round-the-flag” issue.

The solution to illegal immigration is ending welfare. Uninstall the System!

3. Middle East.

Foreign Policy and Cyber Awareness posted:

Foreign Policy
“The US has for too long considered itself as the world’s policeman, at the expense of rational internal growth. This must change. Interference in the affairs of foreign states is the true cause of national animosities, and is the fertilizer and feed for terrorism.” –John McAfee

We reject the interventionist pursuit of idealistic and moral goals. Our foreign policy should emphasize defense, especially the defense of our national technological infrastructure.
We must seek to end the current United States government policy of foreign intervention, including military and economic aid.
We must focus on using our strength only when and where it protects the security and interests of the American people, not multinational corporations or war profiteers.

Pretty generic boilerplate non-interventionist speak. Otherwise, on his Twitter and Facebook page, he did link to fund something called the ISIS Reporting Center, which I guess monitors Twitter and social media and reports ISIS tweets, I guess? Not sure, some kind of anti-terrorist hacktivist thing.

4. Government Spending.

Our Economy posted:

Neither the Democratic, nor Republican parties can be trusted with our economy.
George W. Bush’s presidency was characterized by massive spending, not only on unjust war, but also massive new farm subsidies, huge increases in education spending, and finally the disastrous Wall Street bailouts.
The Obama administration followed suit, with its endless fiscal “stimulus” and “stabilization” spending, bloated entitlement budgets, and an ever-rising national debt ceiling.
The failed policies of the Democrats and Republicans in Washington have lead us into a decade of economic stagnation, all the while still wasting money on endless war.

Endless War! Endless Debt! Uninstall the System!

Our Economy posted:

Where America has seen incredible progress is in those sectors of the economy that are least regulated, such as the technology sector.
With the new online sharing economy, and the exponential advances in our ability to conduct commerce electronically, we have already proven that great advances are made possible when government gets out of the way.
Libertarians want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control trade, are improper in a free society.

No regulations! Free the Internet! But no regulations like Net Neutrality! Uninstall the System!

Mr. McAfee has not expressed an opinion on this matter.

As I do not currently reside within United States sovereign territory, I think it is in the best interest of my health, safety and well being that I do not answer this question.

Overall, John McAfee is most interested in issues surrounding cyber security, personal privacy, and decriminalizing drugs; which any casual observer of this man's life would reasonably understand why and how. It's interesting that McAfee actually doesn't go into taxation and doesn't talk about ending the fed; and like Kerbel, doesn't say anything about ending any federal agency, save for the TSA. In fact, McAfee does advocate expanding the Federal government in one area; you guessed it, cyber security. Outside of his obvious pet issues, he offers mostly generic boilerplate statements. Otherwise, he's also equally upset at the pageantry surrounding Gary Johnson, and that Fox is accommodating Johnson's schedule over any other Libertarian candidate. Seems to be popular to hate on Johnson. McAfee's social media feeds are equal mix of "Hey I'm running for the Libertarian nomination" and "I'm an internet expert and here's my opinion."

@officialmcafee posted:

Guns, drugs and freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXRHdVJEF0

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah that falls into the set of million+. Definite enabler of OIF, Iraqis aren't on the hook to be collateral for your make-work, I think that about covers it.

You're really quite jrodefeld-esque in your inability to comprehend concepts - there being a military in no way required the invasion of Iraq. Get that through your thick skull, mate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

That makes no sense at all, and the distinction between having a military and invading another nation is very meaningful. While having a gun might enable you to shoot someone, it's not true that all gun owners are also murderers, yet that's effectively the argument that you've made.

In your opinion, is there really no room for a national guard or a military that supports a nation's allies in defensive wars?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like you won't be getting those bitcoins QuarkJets.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

Looks like you won't be getting those bitcoins QuarkJets.

We'll see about that. I logic'd this out from first principles (humans act after all) so I'm certain that I'll receive those bitcoins soon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

That makes no sense at all, and the distinction between having a military and invading another nation is very meaningful. While having a gun might enable you to shoot someone, it's not true that all gun owners are also murderers, yet that's effectively the argument that you've made.

In your opinion, is there really no room for a national guard or a military that supports a nation's allies in defensive wars?

not really, no

and anyways, at least for the last 500 years wars have been fought and won primarily by the kind of states that haunt libertarians' nightmares. talking about some kind of libertarian citizen's militia or whatever as if that is now or has ever been relevant to actual warfare, is hilarious. you would end up in a mass grave within days of an actual for real modern industrial war starting

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

not really, no

If you have no national guard or standing military at all, then what happens when a neighboring country with a standing military politely asks that you hand over all of your poo poo?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

QuarkJets posted:

If you have no national guard or standing military at all, then what happens when a neighboring country with a standing military politely asks that you hand over all of your poo poo?

You say no and then they politely go back home because if they attacked you and took all your stuff without permission it would be initiatory violence and if they did that they would be shunned from polite society.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

There was somebody in here arguing that you just assassinate the enemy leader and then they'll all go home because no one would want to be the next leader.

It's so easy duh why didn't anyone think of trying to kill Hitler. Remember when we hanged Saddam and all the various factions in Iraq laid down their arms immediately.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

VitalSigns posted:

There was somebody in here arguing that you just assassinate the enemy leader and then they'll all go home because no one would want to be the next leader.

It's so easy duh why didn't anyone think of trying to kill Hitler. Remember when we hanged Saddam and all the various factions in Iraq laid down their arms immediately.

That was jrodefeld, of course.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

That was jrodefeld, of course.

Yeah I'm 99% sure it was jrod suggesting the assassination thing as a viable means by which a loving suburban neighborhood could defend itself against a foreign nation's military, but it could have been one of the many other accounts that would come and post for like 2 days and then disappear forever

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Darryl Perry of New Hampshire
Slogan: Please Donate Bitcoins - Scan QR Code Now
Blog: https://darrylwperry.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @DarrylWPerry

Bio posted:

Darryl W. Perry was born and raised in Birmingham, AL and the surrounding area; graduating from Hewitt-Trussville High School in 1996. Darryl attended Jefferson State Community College on a Scholarship with the Speech Team (Forensics Team), and later on a Management Scholarship with WJSR-FM, the college radio station, of which Darryl was Station Manager from Summer of 1997 until he graduated in 1998.

Darryl Perry, like other Libertarians not named Johnson or McAfee, claims to be running the most Libertarian campaign, and will be the most Libertarian president. Mr. Perry is an active political activist, involving himself in the court and local political issues in New Hampshire. Darryl Parry, according to his website, is host of the daily newscast FPPRadioNews, and is featured on other podcasts such as Peace, Love, Liberty Radio; FPP Freedom Minute; and Free Talk Live - all of these belonging to Free Press Publications, which he owns. He is co-founder and co-chair of the NH Liberty Party, which is like a separate and more Libertarian party than the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire. Also, they have their own convention (in the sense of comic/sci-fi/anime conventions) called Keenevention, which is sponsored by a brokerage firm that deals in buttcoins.

A cursory Google search of his name pulls up a wealth of YouTube videos of him being involved in local politics on Libertarian YouTube Channels, with classics such as arguing against New Hampshire's minimum wage laws based on his claim of "poor wording" of the law which does not explicitly say which minimum wage to use (the higher state wage or the lower Federal wage); Arguing in Traffic Court over a ticket for an expired license plate/unregistered vehicle (to which he refused to pay and instead decided to go to jail for as a brave warrior of liberty); and various other videos of him being ultra-libertarian activist. Note: I haven't yet watched the twenty minute video of his court trial, but I will after I get through this post. I only caught the opening statement to which he referred to New Hampshire's vehicle registration laws as "supposed".

Otherwise, his website encourages fellow Libertarians to donate to him via buttcoins, so that's got to mark him out as the most Libertarian candidate by far. He really does seem to try to mark himself out as more Libertarian than a Libertarian, and to give him credit, he's actually involved in the political process, rather than just being some "businessman" who stumbled upon the Libertarian Party as a great way to promote racism lower taxes. However, his arguments tend to be very literalist interpretations of figurative speech, and descends into pedantry much like our star Libertarian, jrodefeld.

2. Illegal immigration.

Immigration posted:

I believe that people should be allowed to travel freely without government interference. This includes the right of individuals to choose where they decide to live.
Current federal immigration laws are convoluted and give preferential treatment to individuals from certain countries. The current system also relies on quotas, hosts and in some cases an immigration lottery, as well as preferred treatment to athletes and refugees. This must change, and there should be one uniform immigration law. I believe the best model law is the “wet foot, dry foot rule” in place for people fleeing Cuba. Under this rule, anyone from Cuba who makes it safely into the United States, is allowed to stay; however, the aspect of this rule that I would end is that the Coast Guard patrols the waters looking for people with “wet feet” in order to redirect them back to Cuba. The immigration policy of the United States of America should once again resemble the words written on the Statue of Liberty
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
An aside: most of the people who argue against eased immigration standards point to the “abuse” of the welfare system. That is actually an argument against welfare, not an argument against immigration!

An actual argument for the "Wet Foot/Dry Foot" law, which has historically been lambasted as the "White Foot/Black Foot" law. But his take on this law is interesting, in that he argues for a law that requires the US to intercept refugees before they come to America, but then argues that we shouldn't actually try to stop people from coming; and then misunderstands the USCG's mission in patrolling these waters. The USCG is trying to reach these people before they loving drown. That's why the USCG brings these people onto US soil instead of telling them to turn their rickety jury-rigged contraptions that barely float back to wherever they came from. The real tragedy is not what the USCG is doing, but what INS does in it's profiling and deciding who stays and who goes, and that part of it is the part that Mr. Perry wants to keep. It also shows he's blind to the fact that most of these immigrants are coming from Haiti and not Cuba, and the profiling and absolute denial of Haitian refugees that has occurred which has led to the nickname "White Foot/Black Foot". But Mr. Perry is from New Hampshire, not Florida, so he doesn't understand the dynamics of this situation, so naturally he'd think "Wet Foot/Dry Foot" is a good law, and that the USCG is the problem.

3. Middle East.

It's interesting that none of the Libertarian candidates ever seem to get into specifics regarding the Middle East, and that it's generally just lumped together in a generic statement on "Foreign Policy". So I'll just post Mr. Wet Foot's take on the issues of Foreign Policy:

Foreign Policy posted:

1. Foreign Policy
There is a saying “If goods don’t cross border, armies will.” I believe American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world. Peace will never be achieved through force. Libertarians seek the withdrawal of troops from the 900+ military bases in over 130 nations around the world.
I support an end to taxpayer funded foreign aid.

gently caress OUR ALLIES!

Foreign Policy posted:

2. Free Trade
Free Trade does not require a treaty, rather a lack of government involvement. I support real free-trade (not the bureaucratic version of “free trade” that exists under NAFTA, CAFTA, GATT, etc). To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson, I support peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

For free trade, but against free trade agreements. Against protectionist policies, but won't do anything about other countries that benefit from protectionist policies against the US while benefiting from a policy of "universal free trade". LET'S SHIP MORE JOBS OVERSEAS!

Foreign Policy posted:

3. Homeland Security
I support abolishing the Department of Homeland Security. Constitutionally, the military is responsible for protecting the country; however, I do not support a standing army, rather I support calling up a military only in times of declared war or in cases of imminent defense.

Abolish the DHS. That's the military's job. The military that I will disband and only call to action when I know there's a terrorist threat! Well, actually there won't be any terrorists when we go full hardcore Libertarian, but if someone does try to do something to us, I'll snap my fingers and the good people of this nation will rise up to meet the threat! Yes sirree!

Foreign Policy posted:

4. United Nations
I support the immediate withdrawal of the United States government from, and an end to its financial support for, the United Nations. Specifically, I oppose any US policy designating the United Nations as policeman of the world, committing US troops to wars at the discretion of the UN, or placing US troops under UN command. I oppose US government participation in any world or international government. I oppose any treaty under which individual rights would be violated.

gently caress the UN, and gently caress OUR ALLIES!

Foreign Policy posted:

5. War & Peace
I am opposed to war for moral and philosophical reasons, not for political reasons. Force is only justified in defense of person or property; preemptive use of force is always wrong.
The foundation of libertarianism is mutual respect. It is a principle that extends to our relationships with people throughout the world.
All American troops currently stationed around the world, excepting those troops who are protecting embassies, should be brought home immediately.

No, seriously, gently caress OUR ALLIES!

4. Government Spending.

It's very tempting to post his whole section on "Trade And The Economy" because it's jrodefeld levels of stupidity. But the point of this post is to keep things focused and I already went over my bounds with the Middle East.

Trade And The Economy posted:

1. Budget & Economy
I fully support abolishing the Federal Reserve, IRS and all unconstitutional spending. I support a repeal of legal tender laws, and a free-market monetary system of competing currencies.
I also oppose any attempts to regulate virtual currencies.

End the Fed! End the IRS! Free market money! Print your own money! Invest in Buttcoins!

Trade And the Economy posted:

8. Social Security
Social Security is nothing more than a Ponzi-scheme, whereby a fraudulent investment operation pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation.
Every individual should be responsible for his/her own retirement. Therefore, everyone should be allowed to opt-out of the Social Security system. Those who decide to opt-in to Social Security should have their contributions placed into a private account, such as a 401k or Money Market Account, which they control.
I wish to phase-out the system altogether to remove the coercion of government from an individuals retirement.

Social Security is a Ponzi-scheme, check. Opt-out option, check. Privatize Social Security, check. Yup, typical Conservative budget-hawk/debt-hawk arguments.

10. Welfare & Poverty
The welfare state, supposedly designed to aid the poor, is in reality a growing and parasitic burden on all productive people, and injures, rather than benefits, the poor themselves.
I oppose government-enforced charity such as welfare programs and subsidies, but heartily applaud those individuals and private charitable organizations that help the needy and contribute to a wide array of worthwhile causes through voluntary activities. Taxpayer funding for welfare should be phased out as quickly as possible.

Welfare keeps the poor poor. End Welfare! Free market charities!

9. Tax Reform
I support abolishing the IRS and all forms of coercive taxation (this includes tariffs, excise taxes, payroll taxes, etc), and government programs should be funded voluntarily.

Abolish the IRS! Fund the government...voluntarily? And yes, that link to a blog post which supposedly describes how that would work is a dead link on his website, too. I included it for posterity's sake.

5. Health Care
I support the existence of free-market certifications and believe such certifications are helpful to those looking for qualified health care.
I believe that individuals should be free to choose the medical care they believe is best for themselves. This includes the freedom to seek alternative forms of treatment, such as holistic, homeopathic, chiropractic, acupuncture, shaman, or any other form of treatment they choose. Governments should not mandate what qualifies someone to give medical treatment, nor should any government use force, or the threat of force, to prevent an individual from seeking treatment from an “unqualified” practitioner.
I support the repeal/abolition of the FDA, Medicare, Medicaid, forced vaccination, mandatory health insurance laws, and any other governmental dictate that interferes with than individuals right to choose the medical care the wish to seek.

jrodefeld, is this you? I guess the answer to this question is a resounding YES!

Seriously, reading this profile is exactly the sort of person I imagine jrodefeld supports. You really need to read his Platform Page, it is a goldmine which I cannot bring to full light in a single post. It's a mix of AnCap and Freeman-on-the-land, which becomes more apparent once you start delving into his social media and YouTube videos.

Otherwise, we're halfway through our Libertarian candidates. I have to get to work soon, so I'll try to have Austin Petersen up tonight. In the meanwhile, I'm going to watch the video about the evils of governments imposing vehicle registration laws upon sovereign citizens.

edit:

Seriously, if nothing else watch this video. :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ITngXbtTg

His arguments for dismissal are 1) wasn't driving dangerously or violating any other crime; 2) I HAVE NOT CONSENTED TO JOINDER WITH ANY GOVERNMENT; 3) there is no physical evidence to prove I committed this crime; 4) there are exceptions and exemptions to the vehicle registration laws, so because some exemptions exist, I should be granted an exemption.

e2: And remember, he opted to go to jail instead of pay the $100 fine + $24 court fee, to be a "martyr of freedom"!

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 22, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I'd suggest that there's a difference between having a military at all and having a military that spends more than the next few highest military spenders all combined. It's the latter that enables mistakes on the scale of the OIF clusterfuck, not the former.

There's valid points to having a military beyond the unlikely case that the U.S. mainland is invaded. Air support for people fighting ISIS (I think we have a responsibility to help clean up our mess and then not do it again) and keeping shipping lanes safe are examples. But regional nations should pitch in to a greater degree instead of us rationalizing stuff like the NATO gravy train forever.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I'm 99% sure it was jrod suggesting the assassination thing as a viable means by which a loving suburban neighborhood could defend itself against a foreign nation's military, but it could have been one of the many other accounts that would come and post for like 2 days and then disappear forever

I found it, it was the Finn who didn't believe slavery can be profitable because it just isn't okay so let's get rid of all the laws, there's not a market for human trafficking anyway.

Who What Now posted:

I have another question that should be easy.

Assuming that you abolish the entire American government and form a free stateless society. Now I'll be kind and I'll let your stateless society keep all the infrastructure the government built for you, but all military equipment is destroyed because they have no place in a society ruled by the NAP.

The next day China and Russia invade the west coast. How does your society then protect itself?

shiranaihito posted:

A free society would do their best to assassinate the invading country's psychopath leader(s), because that's the single most efficient and effective way of stopping the war. Who wants to lead a country into a war where he himself will be the opposing side's primary target? -Why that would be no one, of course.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Where does this bizarre affection that Libertarians have for the idea of assassination come from? Between this and those silly assassination markets that pretend to be death prediction websites, it seems like they have a huge faith in assassination being both reliable and effective as a means of implementing social policy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Market competition for jobs improves all possible occupations and enables customers to get the best solutions, including "murderer for hire" and "ensuring that someone dies" respectively.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Where does this bizarre affection that Libertarians have for the idea of assassination come from? Between this and those silly assassination markets that pretend to be death prediction websites, it seems like they have a huge faith in assassination being both reliable and effective as a means of implementing social policy.

It's not technically violating the Non-Aggression Principle if you pay someone else to do it for you.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'd suggest that there's a difference between having a military at all and having a military that spends more than the next few highest military spenders all combined. It's the latter that enables mistakes on the scale of the OIF clusterfuck, not the former.

There's valid points to having a military beyond the unlikely case that the U.S. mainland is invaded. Air support for people fighting ISIS (I think we have a responsibility to help clean up our mess and then not do it again) and keeping shipping lanes safe are examples. But regional nations should pitch in to a greater degree instead of us rationalizing stuff like the NATO gravy train forever.

Insofar as it keeps Putin from loving with even more people I think NATO is a pretty good deal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

I would agree, but that's not what you said earlier: you said that the distinction between "has a large military" and "invades Iraq" is purely academic, which is completely nonsensical. If you're willing to walk back from that to the more reasonable stance of "bigger military enables bigger mistakes" then that's fine, but this bullshit idea where having a large military meant that we would inevitably invade Iraq is just idiotic

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
YF19, I just want to say you're doing Alien Reptile Satan's, pbuh God's work here. It's been a wild ride, and if anything your characterization of John McAfee was very polite and mild.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I would agree, but that's not what you said earlier: you said that the distinction between "has a large military" and "invades Iraq" is purely academic, which is completely nonsensical. If you're willing to walk back from that to the more reasonable stance of "bigger military enables bigger mistakes" then that's fine, but this bullshit idea where having a large military meant that we would inevitably invade Iraq is just idiotic

My stance is exactly that a gigantor military enables gigantor mistakes, but I don't feel the need to wait around to see whether or not those mistakes are inevitable. But ofc I could look back and see they've already happened multiple times. Earlier I said that our military enabled Iraq, fishmech replied "yeah well it didn't CAUSE it," and that was academic, as in totally irrelevant to my point. Without a runaway military, the idea of OIF could've occurred to people all day and it wouldn't have mattered. That's the part I care about.

TLDR :fishmech:

StandardVC10 posted:

Insofar as it keeps Putin from loving with even more people I think NATO is a pretty good deal.

It can be, just like giving air support to people fighting ISIS instead of literally becoming Switzerland. But the lion's share of the contributions are coming from the locals in that case. We take a much larger place in NATO.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 22, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This is the face of a man who has killed before and if not stopped will kill again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

My stance is exactly that a gigantor military enables gigantor mistakes, but I don't feel the need to wait around to see whether or not those mistakes are inevitable. But ofc I could look back and see they've already happened multiple times. Earlier I said that our military enabled Iraq, fishmech replied "yeah well it didn't CAUSE it," and that was academic, as in totally irrelevant to my point. Without a runaway military, the idea of OIF could've occurred to people all day and it wouldn't have mattered. That's the part I care about.

If you have the political will to put people in power who want to downsize the military until it's impossible to do another Iraq, then you have the political will to just not do another Iraq regardless of the size of the military. You're putting the cart before the horse.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, and I think it's worth mentioning that the size of our military budget is not entirely due to the size of our military. The entire EU has about 1.5 million active duty members and an annual budget of 200 billion euros (~$220 billion). The US has a couple hundred thousand fewer soldiers but still manages to have a DoD budget of $600 billion. The US number doesn't include things like nuclear weapons maintenance (only because that's not a DoD responsibility), and it's unclear whether the EU numbers are treated in the same way.

I think that the difference in military budget per capita between the US and other economically powerful nations is mostly attributable to the US spending a lot more on hardware.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

YF19, I just want to say you're doing Alien Reptile Satan's, pbuh God's work here. It's been a wild ride, and if anything your characterization of John McAfee was very polite and mild.

I only have a passing knowledge of his craziness regarding Belize. I'm not familiar with how he's perceived by his industry peers as that's not the industry I'm part of or interested as much in.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I found a thing.

Mafia Movies
by Murray N. Rothbard

Hollywood has brought us two great, romantic genres, two forms of movies where the war of good versus evil could play itself out against a background of an entire complex fictive world grounded in a present or past reality. In this world, coherent action and struggle can emerge dramatically by heroes, villains, their rank and file supporters, and by innocents caught in the crossfire. The first classic genre was, of course, the Western: epitomized in Stagecoach, the great John Wayne movies, and countless others (one of my favorites: the long-forgotten The Bounty Hunter, in which Henry Fonda heroically plays a privatized and highly effective law enforcer hated – naturally – both by the villains and by the sheriffs and deputies whom he outcompetes for far higher pay). Unfortunately, the Western movie is no more, felled perhaps by endless and unimaginative repetition, but possibly, too, by the dogged leftist insistence in the later Westerns for the Indians to be the Good Guys and the whites the Bad. Look, fellas, it doesn’t matter what the literal historical truth may or may not have been; the leftist reversal – the insistence on destroying familiar heroes – simply don’t work, it didn’t scan, and it helped destroy the Western genre.

The more recent innovative Hollywood genre, ranking with the Western, is the Mafia movie: the clash of heroes and villains against a mythic but reality-grounded world, updated to twentieth-century America. Some of the great directors have contributed gems to this genre. John Huston’s Prizzi’s Honor, playing off Jack Nicholson and the incomparable Kathleen Turner, was marvelous. But the great classic, the definitive, superb Mafia movie was The Godfathers I and II, in which Francis Ford Coppola poured out a work of genius, grounded in his own and novelist Mario Puzo’s cultural history, which he has never approached since.

The Godfathers were perfection: an epic world, a world of drama and struggle, tautly organized and memorably written, beautifully and broodingly photographed, in which greed struggled with the great virtues of loyalty to the famiglia.

The key to The Godfathers and to success in the Mafia genre is the realization and dramatic portrayal of the fact that the Mafia, although leading a life outside the law, is, at its best, simply entrepreneurs and businessmen supplying the consumers with goods and services of which they have been unaccountably deprived by a Puritan WASP culture.

The unforgettable images of mob violence juxtaposed with solemn Church rites were not meant, as left-liberals would have it, to show the hypocrisy of evil men. For these Mafiosi, as mainly Italian Catholics, are indeed deeply religious; they represent one important way in which Italian Catholics were able to cope with, and make their way in, a totally alien world dominated by WASP Puritan insistence that a whole range of products eagerly sought by consumers be outlawed.

Hence the systemic violence of Mafia life. Violence, in The Godfather films, is never engaged in for the Hell of it, or for random kicks; the point is that since the government police and courts will not enforce contracts they deem to be illegal, debts incurred in the Mafia world have to be enforced by violence, by the secular arm. But the violence simply enforces the Mafia equivalent of the law: the codes of honor and loyalty without which the whole enterprise would simply be random and pointless violence.

In many cases, especially where “syndicates” are allowed to form and are not broken-up by government terror, the various organized syndicates will mediate and arbitrate disputes, and thereby reduce violence to a minimum. Just as governments in the Lockean paradigm are supposed to be enforcers of commonly-agreed-on rules and property rights, so “organized crime,” when working properly, does the same. Except that in its state of illegality it operates in an atmosphere charged with difficulty and danger.

It is interesting to observe the contrasting attitudes of our left-liberal culture to the two kinds of crime, organized versus unorganized. Organized crime is essentially anarcho-capitalist, a productive industry struggling to govern itself; apart from attempts to monopolize and injure competitors, it is productive and non-aggressive. Unorganized, or street, crime, in contrast, is random, punkish, viciously aggressive against the innocent, and has no redeeming social feature. Wouldn’t you know, then, that our leftist culture hates and reviles the Mafia and organized crime, while it lovingly excuses, and apologizes for, chaotic and random street punks violence which amounts to “anarchy” in the bad, or common meaning. In a sense, street violence embodies the ideal of left-anarchism: since it constitutes an assault on the rights of person and property, and on the rule of law that codifies such rights.

One great scene in The Godfather embodies the difference between right and left anarchism. One errant, former member of the Corleone famiglia abases himself before The Godfather (Marlon Brando). A certain punk had raped and brutalized his daughter. He went to the police and the courts, and the punk was, at last, let go (presumably by crafty ACLU-type lawyers and a soft judicial system). This distraught father now comes to Don Corleone for justice.

Brando gently upbraids the father: “Why didn’t you come to me? Why did you go to The State?” The inference is clear: the State isn’t engaged in equity and justice; to obtain justice, you must come to the famiglia. Finally, Brando relents: “What would you have me do?” The father whispers in the Godfather’s ear. “No, no, that is too much. We will take care of him properly.” So not only do we see anarcho-capitalist justice carried out, but it is clear that the Mafia code has a nicely fashioned theory of proportionate justice. In a world where the idea that the punishment should fit the crime has been abandoned and still struggled over by libertarian theorists it is heart-warming to see that the Mafia has worked it out in practice.

And now, weighing in, in the Mafia sweepstakes, comes a much-acclaimed new entrant: Martin Scorsese’s GoodFellas. This repellent and loathsome movie, much acclaimed by all of our left-liberal critics (including a rave review in the Marxist weekly In These Times), is as far removed from The Godfather, in style, content, writing, direction, and overall philosophy as it is possible to be.

Instead of good versus bad entrepreneurs, all working and planning coherently and on a grand scale, GoodFellas is peopled exclusively by psychotic punks, scarcely different from ordinary, unorganized street criminals. The violence is random, gratuitous, pointless, and psychotic; everyone, from the protagonist Henry Hill (Ray Liota) on down is a boring creep; there is no one in this horde of “wiseguys” or “goodfellas” that any member of the viewing audience can identify with. The critics all refer to the psycho gang member Tommy (Joe Pesci), but what they don’t point out is that everyone else in the gang, including the leader Jimmy Conway (Robert DeNiro) is almost as fully deranged.

When Tommy kills friends or colleagues pointlessly, Jimmy and the others are delighted and are happy to cover up for him. All of these goons are ultra-high-time preference lowlifes: their range of the future approximates ten minutes, in contrast to the carefully planned empire-building of The Godfather. Conway, after pulling off a multi-million dollar heist at Kennedy Airport, shoots all of his colleagues to grab all the money. This sort of behavior, as well as the random violence of Tommy, would put these guys out of business within weeks in any real Mafia organization worth its salt. Street punk short-term greed and whim-worship would get you killed in short order.

Since there are no good guys among the GoodFellas, the audience doesn’t care what happens to them; indeed, one wishes them all to meet their just deserts as quickly as possible, so that the movie will be over. The rest of the film is as odious as the central theme; the direction, as in all of Scorsese, is edgy, hurky-jerky, quasi-psychotic; the photography, in contrast to the epic brooding of Godfather, is light, open and airy, totally out of keeping with the theme. The writing is flat and pointless. Great actors like DeNiro are wasted in the movie. And the much-praised Don in the film, Paul Cicero (Paul Sorvino) is grimly quiet and slow moving, but he too is pointless and his role ineffectual, and therefore he fails as any sort of menace.

Contrast the ways in which Godfather and GoodFellas handle a common theme: the attempt of the leading Don to keep away from traffic in drugs, and the destruction wrought by succumbing to the temptation. In Godfather, one Mafia leader of the old school clearly and eloquently rejects traffic in drugs as immoral, in contrast to other venerable goods and services, such as liquor, gambling and “loan sharking.” “Leave drugs to the animals – the niggers – they have no souls,” he admonished. (All right, I never said that the Mafiosi were racially enlightened.) Here is a powerful and dramatic theme of keeping the old Mafia moral code as against the temptation of making a great deal of money in a technologically innovative field.

But how in contrast does GoodFellas handle this conflict? Don Cicero simply orders his gang to stay out of drugs, pointing only to the stiff sentences the Feds were handing out. And whereas in Godfather, everyone knows that disobedience to the Don will bring swift retribution, Conway, Hill and the other wiseguys disobey Don Cicero and nothing happens to them. What kind of Don is that?

Clearly, the critics admire and apologize for the left-anarchic punks of GoodFellas the way they could never admire the Mafiosi of the Godfather, despite the universal respect for the older movie’s technical brilliance. Alas, the corrupt nihilist value-system of avant-garde left-liberalism relates happily to the value-system of the deranged GoodFellas. “This,” say these critics contentedly of the world of the GoodFellas, “is what life is all about. Godfather romanticizes life (and is therefore wrong).”

Will GoodFellas succeed in wrecking the Mafia genre, the best Hollywood discovery since the death of the Western? There is hope, on two counts. First, I would point out that these punks are not true Mafia; they were never “made” by the Mafia families. These are riffraff, hangers-on, lowlifes compared to the epic grandeur of the world of the Mafia. In fact, in the only act of violence that makes sense in the entire movie, the only one that is not pointless and that is eminently justified, the rotten and demented Tommy gets his just deserts at the hands of the genuine Mafia. Told that he will at last achieve his life-long goal of being “made” by a Mafia family, the monster Tommy reaps his just reward. Bang, bang!

The other ray of hope is that, at long last, and after two decades, Godfather, Part III is scheduled to hit the screens around Christmas. What a Christmas gift! The whole crew is back, older and perhaps wiser, continuing the great saga of the Corleone family. The only hitch is that the superb Robert Duvall, one of the great actors of our time and Mr. Consiglieri himself, asked for too much money and therefore could not be included in the picture. But that’s OK. If luck is with us, Godfather III will restore our vision of what a Mafia film is supposed to look like. Make way, riffraff of the Scorsese famiglia! The true Don, Corleone, is back, and you, like your creature and comrade Tommy, are going to reap your just reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We've said again and again that Libertarianism inevitably leads to mafia scenarios, so it's refreshing to see Rothbard, and by extension jrod, openly admit supporting this as a feature and not a bug.