Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I thought it sounded like this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I live in an apartment complex, it's not big nor trashy, there's enough spots around our building for the eight tenants to park their own car and a guest or for their significant other. There's a car guy in my building who has Genesis coupe - right now it's under a car cover. His second slotted spot is for his work vehicle. Now he got an Audi TT that randomly takes up other spots - forcing someone to park farther away from the complex. He's been called out about it and for a few days the TT is gone, then it comes back again.

There's guest parking on the street, but this guy also has his friends park in allotted spots. I keep telling the landlady to put down numbers and give us placards, but she's old and usually goes into a story about how her first husband was killed by a kamikaze to his landing boat in WW2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I live in an apartment complex, it's not big nor trashy, there's enough spots around our building for the eight tenants to park their own car and a guest or for their significant other. There's a car guy in my building who has Genesis coupe - right now it's under a car cover. His second slotted spot is for his work vehicle. Now he got an Audi TT that randomly takes up other spots - forcing someone to park farther away from the complex. He's been called out about it and for a few days the TT is gone, then it comes back again.

There's guest parking on the street, but this guy also has his friends park in allotted spots. I keep telling the landlady to put down numbers and give us placards, but she's old and usually goes into a story about how her first husband was killed by a kamikaze to his landing boat in WW2.

They recently assigned parking spaces at our old complex but it hasn't stopped a few residents from still parking in someone else's spot. We still have friends there and recently the property manager had an offending car towed from their space. A few days later they went outside to find the windshield smashed. I'm so glad we have a a garage and driveway.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

We've are in a block of 6 flats that have a resident only parking area with about 12 spaces. Which would be fine if people who don't even live on our street didn't park there. I would kick up more of a stink if we didn't currently have three vehicles, plus our friends across the road using a spot. I wouldn't even mind of there we didn't regularly run out of spaces.

I did go off at a couple the other day who not only don't live here but took up two spaces. The guy tried to give me "but everybody in our block parks here" (that's the problem) and "there are loads of free spaces" (bullshit) so I went off at them and made the lady cry. I feel kinda bad, but on the other hand gently caress them, they should have just moved the car instead of making an argument about their perceived right to park on private ground.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

They recently assigned parking spaces at our old complex but it hasn't stopped a few residents from still parking in someone else's spot. We still have friends there and recently the property manager had an offending car towed from their space. A few days later they went outside to find the windshield smashed. I'm so glad we have a a garage and driveway.

This is a big reason that I'm happy to have my own house with garage. The car actually gets to live in the garage where it isn't visible or can be hosed with by random stupid teenagers or vindictive people, and I never have to worry about someone taking my spot. Also, maintenance in a garage is just SO much nicer than street/parking lot maintenance.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sagebrush posted:

still looks stupid imo

I found what happens is someone gets a "smokin' deal" on a rims and tires combo without regard or care to what backset they are :)

It's great, I'm the guy running out and buying up the OEM tire/rim combos to use on older vehicles.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

stump posted:

We've are in a block of 6 flats that have a resident only parking area with about 12 spaces. Which would be fine if people who don't even live on our street didn't park there. I would kick up more of a stink if we didn't currently have three vehicles, plus our friends across the road using a spot. I wouldn't even mind of there we didn't regularly run out of spaces.

I did go off at a couple the other day who not only don't live here but took up two spaces. The guy tried to give me "but everybody in our block parks here" (that's the problem) and "there are loads of free spaces" (bullshit) so I went off at them and made the lady cry. I feel kinda bad, but on the other hand gently caress them, they should have just moved the car instead of making an argument about their perceived right to park on private ground.

Good, and furthermore I hope you salted the earth such that nothing may grow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Motor oil works too, just dribble a little bit on your parking spot. It's a double win: no undergrowth, and marks your territory.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Terrible car stuff: losing all your coolant in under a minute out the side of your radiator
Silver lining: Caught it before the car overheated

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was going down the highway today and there was suddenly a cloud of smoke coming from ... above?

Car fire on the overpass above me, two people standing right next to it looking annoyed. I think it was a newer Focus? I'm not sure, I was going pretty fast.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
You guys should all read the High Cost of Free Parking and try not to cry.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

stump posted:

I live on a one-way street in a unit block with only four parking spots for four units. It's a clusterfuck. Especially for the spots for unit 3 and 4 who have to park behind each other and organize how to get in an out ahead of time. Seriously, check out this bullshit on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SS7nNenwWtR2 - My parking spot is the empty one in front of the building with the stylish oil stains and 3+4 have to park down the side.

I have made a name for myself as an arsehole because I will curse any fucker who parks in my spot and when new people move in its the first thing I tell them. I've made ladies cry before so I don't think you should feel bad. It is a loving one and a half kilometre round trip to get back to the start of my street.

Here is some terrible car poo poo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tobu posted:

Here is some terrible car poo poo:

Looks like something 14" would smoke.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You need to get a motorcycle

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah just rev the piss out of the engine and freebase it off the hood.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

stump posted:

We've are in a block of 6 flats that have a resident only parking area with about 12 spaces.

The place I stayed at for most of last week had 6 parking spaces.

They have 9 guest rooms. 7 of those rooms have 6 beds each, the other 2 have 4 beds. So up to 50 people (before you count employees) sharing 6 spaces. The only reason it works as well as it does is because the majority of people staying there don't have cars, and there's quite a bit of street parking within walking distance (most of it is paid and/or time-limited though).

I was that guy who wound up walking everywhere/using Lyft for the sole reason that it meant I wouldn't have to either wait for someone to leave, or find an open parking space a few blocks away - I found a parking space in their lot when I got there, and didn't leave it until Sat night.

Honestly, I'm surprised the interior held up as well as it did.

... especially with his screaming.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 22, 2016

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

still looks stupid imo

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Reasons I hate spoiled kids.mov

As far as parking goes, the apt I lived in charge like 50 bucks a month for covered parking, but they were also on the ball with towing fuckers that parked where they shouldn't. Having your own garage is one of the joys of owing a house.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

veedubfreak posted:

The kid sounds like a goober but I'd probably be similarly incoherent and stupid if I saw my week-old $40000 car catch fire and blow up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's probably a boring lease sedan, not some sort of rare AMG car. He's gotta have coverage and will get a replacement.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do not accost Veedubfreak he is beyond reproach.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BraveUlysses posted:

It's probably a boring lease sedan, not some sort of rare AMG car. He's gotta have coverage and will get a replacement.

I hope I can be this cool and over it if my brand new car catches fire and explodes on a crowded freeway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah it would suck but his companion seemed to handle it a lot better.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

http://wgntv.com/2016/02/21/megabus-catches-fire-in-lake-forest/

And on the other side of society; a Megabus catches fire in Illinois and people lose all of their worldly possessions, they react like it's just another lovely day.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i would at least try to restrain myself to "wow what the gently caress mercedes, at least i'm getting another one out of this"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a used Chrysler 200. You know how you guys hate how modern car options are all bundled together and you can't get just the features you want without a sunroof and automatic transmission? Well Chrysler has you covered. On the 200 the loving AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL is an alacart option in every trim level excet the top. The car im looking at has keyless entry, bluetooth, and a touchscreen, but no auto climate control, however because it has a touchscreen it doesnt have a seperate knob for the blower, so to adjust the heat, an ungraduated slider with red and blue on either side shows up on the touchscreen and you swipe it up or down, like a virtual version of the resistor type blower control on a 1980s economy car. Somehow this was cheaper than just giving every car auto climate control? This car has the 5 inch screenbut its apparently possible to get an 8.4 screen with manual climate control too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a used Chrysler 200. You know how you guys hate how modern car options are all bundled together and you can't get just the features you want without a sunroof and automatic transmission? Well Chrysler has you covered. On the 200 the loving AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL is an alacart option in every trim level excet the top. The car im looking at has keyless entry, bluetooth, and a touchscreen, but no auto climate control, however because it has a touchscreen it doesnt have a seperate knob for the blower, so to adjust the heat, an ungraduated slider with red and blue on either side shows up on the touchscreen and you swipe it up or down, like a virtual version of the resistor type blower control on a 1980s economy car. Somehow this was cheaper than just giving every car auto climate control? This car has the 5 inch screenbut its apparently possible to get an 8.4 screen with manual climate control too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Have you actually driven a 200? I had a rental a few years back and it was by far one of the shittiest cars I have ever driven.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:thejoke:

The only thing worse than renting a 200 is renting a 200 in snowy weather. Stopping distance on the faintest whiff of moisture was measured in football fields.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

The only thing worse than renting a 200 is renting a 200 in snowy weather. Stopping distance on the faintest whiff of moisture was measured in football fields.

That has everything to do with tires and not the car itself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure the tires were attached to the car and are therefore part of the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

atomicthumbs posted:

i would at least try to restrain myself to "wow what the gently caress mercedes, at least i'm getting another one out of this"

Yeah, there's a difference between concern and hysterics. Getting hysterical never helps anything. In most cases, it's worse. Also, he's obviously been brain-warped by popular media into believing that a car explosion can level a city block or something. His friend was actually doing a really good job of projecting calm. If she hadn't been there he'd probably have run into traffic screaming and flapping his hands.
I'd just get all pissed off, myself. That's what I tend to do to mask the fear.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Woooo yeah, keep it classy buddy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Holy gently caress, that guy is an insufferable nitwit. It has insurance on it right? Stop freaking out like you just watched your kid get run over by an 18 wheeler, it's an insured replaceable object. Hell it's even brand new which means you can just get another one at the dealer with the insurance money instead of searching for a needle in a haystack on CL... you got your snow broom, wallet, and cellphone full of pictures you forgot to backup out before it caught fire right? OK who cares.

Wanna bet if he ran some sort of debris over, severed a coolant hose, and ran it till it seized and threw a rod or something?

Also wow you guys taking Throatwarbler seriously need to check his BRT before responding, let him wallow in his chrysler 200 filth if he wants.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Throatwarbler posted:

source your quotes because your dumb rear end has been suggesting the 200 in the a/t thread for years now

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

Funny enough, the 4 days I had the rental it snowed every god damned day.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

That is the hell dump of birds.

Also do not buy a Chrysler 200.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

8ender posted:

I have a rental Charger right now while my car is getting bodywork done. It has all seasons and is miserable in the snow. Although I'm actually kind of impressed with the Charger. Its... not bad for Chrysler.

I drove RWD for 5+ years in the snow belt and the issue is tires but also transmission. An automatic RWD car in snow is terrifying. With stick you can select a higher gear and crawl up to speed without getting the rear end out of shape. An automatic is doing stupid poo poo like shifting mid corner, downshifting when you're on the throttle, and starting in first gear. I liked my old 5 series in snow so much that I want to go back to RWD. FWD just doesn't feel the same.

I have a rental charger right now, its surprisingly good. It only has 50 miles on it, but its pretty well put together, quiet, shifts smoothly, is responsive. I would expect these things from a $30k car though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

I have a rental charger right now, its surprisingly good. It only has 50 miles on it, but its pretty well put together, quiet, shifts smoothly, is responsive. I would expect these things from a $30k car though.

That's cause it only has 50 miles. The rattles and lovely shifting start at 100 miles.