Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

axeil posted:

That has to be one of the more challenging achievement runs I've done. I was close to annihilation a few times but managed to pull it out. France grabbing half of Spain really delayed me and made things a challenge. Plus the War of Polish Succession I had was some of the most fun I've had in an EU4 game. Anyone else here ever do Albania or Iberia? According to the Steam stats it's a rarer achievement than a world conquest (0.5% have a world conquest, 0.4% have Albania or Iberia).

I did it a while back, yeah! We both ended up becoming HRE, too. Very fun achievement!

Skanderbeg is so, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

I did it a while back, yeah! We both ended up becoming HRE, too. Very fun achievement!

Skanderbeg is so, so good.

Haha yes he is. Wonder if everyone who's ever done this has become HRE. Seems like if you get big enough you're a natural "outside" pick if the emperor pisses off all the electors, which seems to happen all the time now.

Oh and the 30 years war failed to happen for me too.

If I hadn't seen all the changes they were gonna make to Africa in the next patch I'd do Congo for my next run, but those changes seem to be way more fun. I've never done a game in Asia. How is it/any good achievements to try for if you start in Asia?

edit: Saw you also did "First Come, First Serve" agree with you that the middle of that is incredibly boring and tedious. The end is a lot of fun though.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2016

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

axeil posted:

Haha yes he is. Wonder if everyone who's ever done this has become HRE. Seems like if you get big enough you're a natural "outside" pick if the emperor pisses off all the electors, which seems to happen all the time now.

If I hadn't seen all the changes they were gonna make to Africa in the next patch I'd do Congo for my next run, but those changes seem to be way more fun. I've never done a game in Asia. How is it/any good achievements to try for if you start in Asia?

edit: Saw you also did "First Come, First Serve" agree with you that the middle of that is incredibly boring and tedious. The end is a lot of fun though.

You should try "great Perm" Doing that right now, and it's a fun run, except for their terrible ideas set

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

axeil posted:

The Buddhists Strike Back is a real rough start (rougher than Albania, for me), but a good challenge. Manchurian Candidate is fun. I hear The White Elephant is good, but haven't tried it myself?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, Buddhists is very fun. Tricky part is the first 10 years or so, but once you get rolling it's tough to lose.

My game saw me go through 14 out of 15 years of regency, only to get called into a war against Bahmanis, my only neighbour at the time. I was promised land, pulled my weight, received nothing, and was left with a 15 year truce. :smith:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm playing my first proper game in India and while it starts out as a thunderdome it coalesces into blobs really quick.

I started out as Gujarat because I like their trade focused ideas and they aren't big from the beginning. After about 120 years, I've formed Hindustan and its basically just me, mega-Malwar, Delhi and Bengals left in India. And I'm going to crush Bengals soon enough to get their delicious centres of trade.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I've started as Brandenburg, converted to protestant and formed Prussia. Joined and won the League Wars, and got voted emperor.
However, there is barely any Imperial authority ticking in. Many small starting OPMs don't exist anymore, but in particular, there are no more free cities, and I cannot make any more due to the -50 "is a monarchy" penalty for the OPMs I release.
What can you do in such case?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Playing as Bohemia with a medium fleet protecting some Baltic trade, I somehow discovered Japan. Is that just a random event for anyone who has any kind of naval presence?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Playing as Bohemia with a medium fleet protecting some Baltic trade, I somehow discovered Japan. Is that just a random event for anyone who has any kind of naval presence?

If you discover any Japanese province (including through map spread), you get an event that discovers Kyoto for you.

OperaMouse posted:

I've started as Brandenburg, converted to protestant and formed Prussia. Joined and won the League Wars, and got voted emperor.
However, there is barely any Imperial authority ticking in. Many small starting OPMs don't exist anymore, but in particular, there are no more free cities, and I cannot make any more due to the -50 "is a monarchy" penalty for the OPMs I release.
What can you do in such case?

If you can get them to have a Threatened opinion of you, they'll accept. So butter them up, get them to max relations and friendly, then set your relations with them to hostile.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, Buddhists is very fun. Tricky part is the first 10 years or so, but once you get rolling it's tough to lose.

If you don't have a permanent -5% discipline from bad karma, as you more or less had to before they flipped the way karma works, you're basically playing easy mode. :P

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

YouTuber posted:

Ok, so Aztec and the nations around it play entirely different from normal European EUIV. I take it the goal is to vassalize all 5 around you and feed them the remaining states then reform out to a functional society?

You can pass one reform every time you accumulate five vassals. When you do, you'll lose some stability and release all of your vassals. Even if you pass all the reforms, you'll need to continue this cycle of force-vassalising and/or humiliating and then releasing your neighbours in order to stave off the Doom counter (although I suppose without the requirement for five of them, you could annex a few of them) until Europeans arrive allowing you to reform your religion to no longer require human sacrifice.

On that note, you can't possibly hope to compete with Europeans, no matter how much tech you advance. So I would say that the best way to utilise your one advantage (the enormous amount of monarch power you'll generate due to Aztec leader stats) is to pour it into development. I haven't actually tried that, it's just what I've thought of.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

If you don't have a permanent -5% discipline from bad karma, as you more or less had to before they flipped the way karma works, you're basically playing easy mode. :P

I took one look at that pre 1.14, and just said nope.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

cool and good posted:

It's really easy as Japan. Enforce peace on anyone attacking without allies and annex them.

I'm still new enough that I didn't even know that was a thing that I could do. :downs:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Arrath posted:

I'm still new enough that I didn't even know that was a thing that I could do. :downs:

Yeah that's a good (if gamey) little tactic to annex a few of the aggressive daimyos while you diplo-annex all you can. Once you have about 2/3 of Japan of course you can just crush everyone without diplomatic nuance.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The Ceylon achievement seems like just what I need while we wait for the next patch. Not much going on in India, after all.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The worst part about Japan is the conversion event not always firing, have fun trying to get that achievement.

Do we have any news on new achievements next patch?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

This is interesting, some dude's RNW generation bugged out and applied it's climate generation to the Old World

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lmao, get hosed india

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

What happens when India vs Pakistan goes nuclear.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

axeil posted:

My run was from a few DLC back, but I stuck with Orthodox on the grounds that most of my early expansion land was Ortho. Kinda cut me out the HRE.

e: my old post on this, may be a little outdated

Obliterati posted:

Attempt #150: success!

Albania or Iberia is a hard achievement, okay?

Some notes:

- You need to move fast in the early game, as Ottomans will warn you within the first month and your god general has a habit of dying really quickly. NoCB declare on Serbia and annex (you'll need to build up to your forcelimits just to siege their capital, but just eat as many loans as you have to - they're only 2 each when you're an OPM - and don't stand them down just yet). I suppose you can release OPM Montenegro if you really need to, but other than that try and keep autonomy low on that gold province as you are going to need it for pretty much the entire game. Immediately develop it up to 10 DIP so you can maximise your income without any risk of degrading it.

- You must buddy up to both Austria and Poland. This is the only hope you have of dealing with the Ottomans. For this to work you need to a) build up to forcelimits b) use every relation-improving trick in the book c) remain Catholic, for now, to avoid the -10 to accepting alliances for heretic religion. Honour their CTAs under all circumstances. The Trust modifier is going to be key for convincing them to hurl themselves into the Ottomans repeatedly.

- As soon as you've got your allies, go Orthodox. Your early game is precarious enough without converting every single Balkan province and more as you expand into the Ottomans. You can accept rebel demands and convert that way as you're over 50% Orthodox, but be aware that will zero your alliances and you need to be sure you can remake them. Keep at forcelimits until they're settled.

- If Venice attacks you early on, it's relatively trivial to repel marine assaults now that armies get locked into movement. It's actually a good thing, as Ottoman warnings will stop you from attacking them until you can beat the Ottomans down. With luck you can grab Dalmatia and join the HRE (not required, but it can be nice and I imagine a Catholic Albania could eventually become Emperor).

- Grab as much Balkans as you can before preparing for the Ottoman showdown. You'll be racing Hungary for some of it so don't waste time. Attempts to expand into Italy in order to build up more strength, uh, didn't go well.

- Be prepared for your allies to let you down or for the Ottomans to just be ridiculously unstoppable. Spend your gold money on forts (you get defence bonuses from the start) and use Scorched Earth to buy your allies time to actually show up, as well as bleeding Otto manpower. Austria is something of a disappointment in Common Sense as it can't seem to hold the HRE, but on the plus side this may well mean that, like me, you can grab Vienna sometime for the free Westernisation decision.

- Abuse the hell out of vassals and marches. You can feed Byz back its cores as you chip at the Ottomans and grow Georgia (which you might well be able to diplo-vassalise from across the Black Sea) into the Caucasus for that requirement. By the end here I've fed Wallachia most of Hungary and Catalonia holds all of Iberia for that side of the achievement. Wallachia's ideas are pretty well-suited.

- In terms of idea groups: Economic's a good starter for the inflation control (seeing as your early game income will be some 50% gold, and you'll have taken a bajillion 2 ducat loans, this is a big deal). Obviously various mil ideas will be necessary, but keep an especial eye out for good policies down the line. You'll get national ideas for cavalry down the line, so I took Aristocratic as my first mil set. By the time you're taking your third you should be in a position to be doing vassal shenanigans, so Influence will be great (though I'd already wasted a lot of points on annexing, so maybe earlier?). After that, play it by ear.

Long story short, Albania isn't as bad as it looks. It's one of the hardest starts I've ever played but once you have the Ottomans under control you notice that drat, your idea set is fantastic and you're good for tech because your starting ruler and heir are both fantastic.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New MEIOU version got released. Still runs like poo poo.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

why do map modders always put in those dumb loving oasis provinces disconnected from everything around it?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThePutty posted:

why do map modders always put in those dumb loving oasis provinces disconnected from everything around it?

They think it makes their maps look 'realistic'

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ThePutty posted:

who cares about things like "playability" in a video game map! i need to realistically depict the world, even if it results in things that make no sense in a game!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Dude seems pretty focused on moisture, when it's really a secondary effect of there apparently being no modelling of pressure at all. I don't think you'd actually need a super complicated system for that either, since it's only the effect on precipitation you really care about. Adding rules like:

- The eastern halves of continents get additional moisture. The larger the landmass, the greater this effect.
- The above moisture moves in an east-west, southeast-northwest, and south-north direction from the sea and unto land. The more southerly the source of water, the more moisture is transported.
- Hitting a tall mountainous area dumps most of the remaining moisture in the area in front, leaving a large rain shadow.

Would, if calibrated right, basically fix Asia in the model. (Assuming you included grasslands and poo poo.) On the western side, you'd just have to:

- Add a band of moisture from 40 to 70 degrees, centered around 60 degrees and trailing off at the ends, moving east from the western side of the continents.
- Same rules for mountains apply.

And Eurasia would basically be fixed. Calibrating would just be a matter of putting in a world map and checking to see if it looks anything like the real world.

ThePutty posted:

This is a very prejudiced view.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is a very prejudiced view.

presented without comment

edit: actually i only just noticed all the tiny provinces along the coastline god drat

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 22, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThePutty posted:

edit: actually i only just noticed all the tiny provinces along the coastline god drat

Those are actually oasis' that connect to each other like in CK2. It's not the dumbest thing about it though. HRE is a literal clusterfuck of provinces smaller than your dick.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bedcause obviously cities should be tiny provinces unto themselves :shepface:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Well you see one day in 1642, $city in $province was an exclave of $nation, so it should be a separate province to simulate that.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Well you see one day in 1642, $city in $province was an exclave of $nation, so it should be a separate province to simulate that.
I would agree it's bad gameplay and largely unnecessary, but in all seriousness the Spanish control of North Africa (which went for hundreds of years, mind you) is better described with those one-city provinces.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThePutty posted:

The prejudice was in laying the blame on map modders, and not the "historical nitpicking über alles" crowd.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You should inform them of the political situation between Switzerland and the HRE around that time and ask them to model that in game, then watch them come up with an even worse map.

Edit: I think some of the city states/provinces in the lower lands would apply to that too

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

You should inform them of the political situation between Switzerland and the HRE around that time and ask them to model that in game, then watch them come up with an even worse map.

Edit: I think some of the city states/provinces in the lower lands would apply to that too

I sure hope that HoI4 will accurately model Baarle-Nassau

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The province borders of Trois-Évêchés are my aesthetic.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YF-23 posted:

The province borders of Trois-Évêchés are my aesthetic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Coastal exclave provinces like Macau and the ones in that mod are good because they mean I can spread my imperialistic embrace without having to leave behind ugly borders all over the world.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

It is 1560 and I'm a little bit proud to have already blobbed as much as I have, starting as Gujarat. The little orange guy at the bottom is my vassal Jaffna and Afghanistan is also my vassal.
Thanks to the Hindustan decision I have perma-claims on the rest of India and while Delhi is allied to The Ottomans they are also conveniently allied to Bengal. So when I go and eat Bengal I'll have Delhi annul their alliance with Ottomans.
Malwa might look impressive but thats just because those Tibetan/Himalaya provinces are huge.

I took Trade, Quantity and Religious so while my troops might fight like dirt I have a lot of them.
Don't really know if there any achievements I can try and go for except the 100% mercantilism one. Maybe the one about owning Cape, London, Ottawa and Hong Kong or whatever it was.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Koramei posted:

Coastal exclave provinces like Macau and the ones in that mod are good because they mean I can spread my imperialistic embrace without having to leave behind ugly borders all over the world.

If you really want to model that, it seems like a much better approach would be to have some (MEIOU-like?) 'trade post' system that lets you establish exclaves in arbitrary coastal provinces, rather than having a set of pre-defined, weird, and hard-to-click on historical city-provinces.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

I'm: the long Egyptian province, the West Bank, all of the Sahara, and the Cyprus DMZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You should be able to paint a small dot of your color on a foreign province as a trade exclave or something. That would be awesome for peace time gameplay/diplomacy stuff. Plus it can account for things like Macau, the Latin trade posts in Greece, Genoa in the black sea etc.

• Locked thread