Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McDowell posted:

The fuzziness and lack of contrast are good (notice in the first example there is better contrast in the original). This scene is two mothers defending their children and the environment is supposed to be super hot/humid. The bluray touchups look sterile, clinical, mechanical like Transformers. I'll stick with my DVD copy.

You should watch Do the Right Thing on blu-ray. A pizza parlor with red walls that's on fire is dark and bluish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Their use of colour was fine 25 years ago, but they made is as obnoxiously orange and teal as possible in the blue-ray release.

Hm, a blue-lit environment that's being illuminated by a loving flamethrower.

No reason to imagine why blue and orange would be the primary colors in the shot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Hm, a blue-lit environment that's being illuminated by a loving flamethrower.

No reason to imagine why blue and orange would be the primary colors in the shot.

Yeah I have to say again I don't really see any extra color at all, just what it already looked like without the grain. That shot doesn't look sterile at all to me either, there's still a mist in the air, the eggs are still gross as hell Geiger pods etc.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Their use of colour was fine 25 years ago, but they made is as obnoxiously orange and teal as possible in the blue-ray release.

Too much of a good thing is bad.

The orange/teal criticism only applies when your entire film is designed in that color palette for no good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czPOGQS5r50

Furthermore,

That blue cast is everywhere in photos, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and other promo materials from around the theatrical release.

The Blu-ray looks really good for a film that old.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The near-monochromatic orange of the DVD version's flamethrower shot is a good look. The room's on fire.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I just went and fired up my bluray copy of Aliens to watch the nest scene. The only shot that looks teal & orange is when Ripley first fires the flamethrower as a warning shot:

This shot here. The rest of the scene, when she actually lights up the eggs is very, very, very orange. In fact right after that shot from above, the scene switches to a shot from the side of Ripley firing the flamethrower as the warning as its VERY orange and white.

The whole scene is very bright and hot, except for that one shot right at the start before everything is on fire.

Also I don't know if that picture has been edited in a "What if Aliens WAS IN COLOUR!?" way, as even that one shot looked far less teal/blue on my TV than it does in that screenshot.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That's interesting, I found myself getting less and less enthusiastic about the shots as the movie progressed. Not a fan of Cameron's style I guess.

And look at this colour bullshit:

The Blu-Ray looks better in both shots here, sorry.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The near-monochromatic orange of the DVD version's flamethrower shot is a good look. The room's on fire.

I agree. Going by the shots provided here, it's like the color corrector just hit Photoshop's auto contrast.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

davidspackage posted:

I agree. Going by the shots provided here, it's like the color corrector just hit Photoshop's auto contrast.

The coloration of the initial DVD release is altogether much more naturalistic. It has a 'raw', documentary quality that suits the material. (Think of all the handheld camerawork, head-mounted cameras, etc).

That's why the remastered version looks 'cheaper', despite being technically more advanced. You get HD footage of plastic toys and obvious sets. It's a bit like the problem with HFR in the Hobbit films. It makes Aliens look like Prometheus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I read the script a little bit a ago. I love Whedon. I love Serenity/Firefly. I love The Avengers. But that script was poo poo. Little difference to the final film. Almost every bad line is in there still, every dull character. Johnner is the stand out, and they got the best person in the world to play him. So I guess that's one good thing JPJ did for the film.

This is more of a result of retrospect coloring how you read it. It's hard to see something and read the script after without that coloring how you see things in the script.

I read the script a year or so before the movie came out, and the script read, for better or worse, as a pulpy over-the-top comic book type movie that basically took the intensity of Aliens and magnified it, while combining it with Hong Kong action stuff that was just beginning to pick up then. The pacing and mood was extremely different than the final film, where Weaver made it more about her, and Jeunet (sic) focused on the weirdness and made everything feel a bit surreal.

For one example, the script made sure that you knew the place was utterly filled with aliens the entire time and made the movie a long, extensive, chase with a constant, pervasive threat, as there was constant fighting between aliens and crew while the Serenity cast was trying to escape. The movie had like 6 aliens total in one sequence with the ships crew and then the group kind of just wandered around and happened to bump into a couple every now and then.

I don't like Whedon at all, really, but he's entirely correct in that his script was not put on screen as he wrote it. He wrote Aliens, as directed by John Woo, and instead you got what we saw. Not that it would have been better, mind you, but still.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fury Road is the most orange and teal movie ever made and everyone agrees it looks awesome

Yeah, but would you want Mad Max or Road Warrior re-color timed to match?

(Also, whoever mentioned it, gently caress the Magic Bullet plugin and whoever uses it)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

This is more of a result of retrospect coloring how you read it. It's hard to see something and read the script after without that coloring how you see things in the script.

I read the script a year or so before the movie came out, and the script read, for better or worse, as a pulpy over-the-top comic book type movie that basically took the intensity of Aliens and magnified it, while combining it with Hong Kong action stuff that was just beginning to pick up then. The pacing and mood was extremely different than the final film, where Weaver made it more about her, and Jeunet (sic) focused on the weirdness and made everything feel a bit surreal.

For one example, the script made sure that you knew the place was utterly filled with aliens the entire time and made the movie a long, extensive, chase with a constant, pervasive threat, as there was constant fighting between aliens and crew while the Serenity cast was trying to escape. The movie had like 6 aliens total in one sequence with the ships crew and then the group kind of just wandered around and happened to bump into a couple every now and then.

I don't like Whedon at all, really, but he's entirely correct in that his script was not put on screen as he wrote it. He wrote Aliens, as directed by John Woo, and instead you got what we saw. Not that it would have been better, mind you, but still.

This is interesting to know too because in Aliens they only had six alien costumes to work with PERIOD but Cameron edits and shoots in such away that viewer instinctively "knows" there are a lot of them around (and also he wisely has a points where Ripley reminds how just one of them killed her entire crew save her and the later the cast does the math with everyone's locators and figures there's about 120+ of them).

It does make me wonder if the budget for the movie was just eaten up by Weaver or otherwise cut at some point. It generally at least looks pretty nice but when I saw some of the features with Jeunet on it the way he talks makes it sound like he was pretty chill and just did whatever the producers/Weaver wanted as much as he could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the idea that Resurrection just didn't have a core solid theme.

It could have been a quippy action movie or it could have been a weird uncomfortable analysis of what it means to be human and in the end it tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

This is interesting to know too because in Aliens they only had six alien costumes to work with PERIOD but Cameron edits and shoots in such away that viewer instinctively "knows" there are a lot of them around (and also he wisely has a points where Ripley reminds how just one of them killed her entire crew save her and the later the cast does the math with everyone's locators and figures there's about 120+ of them).

I've always been a bit baffled how Alien sequels keep neutering themselves by reminding you there's only, like, 12 aliens to watch out for. The whole thing with Aliens was that they felt like a relentless, endless swarm.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I get the idea that Resurrection just didn't have a core solid theme.

It could have been a quippy action movie or it could have been a weird uncomfortable analysis of what it means to be human and in the end it tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

Resurrection almost feels like an extreme overcorrection in the face of the negative reaction to Alien 3. The third movie is this weird, stripped-down flick with very little levity to break its oppressive atmosphere. Alien Resurrection is basically Pip farting on a snare drum. I remember reading some trivia somewhere that Jeunet was really into the idea of having a scene where a mosquito lands on Ripley, and upon drinking her blood disappears in a puff of smoke (because of its acidic nature). Is that at face value kind of funny? Yes. Does it really belong in an Alien movie? Uh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lizardman posted:

I've always been a bit baffled how Alien sequels keep neutering themselves by reminding you there's only, like, 12 aliens to watch out for. The whole thing with Aliens was that they felt like a relentless, endless swarm.

3 and AvP are the only ones that did this, to my recollection; 3 was deliberately trying to dial it back to the style of the first film, with one alien taking down a group of unarmed non-soldier victims, and AvP did it for continuity reasons (there's only a couple people that get facehugged in that movie and no other explanation for a large group of xenomorphs).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sef! posted:

Resurrection almost feels like an extreme overcorrection in the face of the negative reaction to Alien 3. The third movie is this weird, stripped-down flick with very little levity to break its oppressive atmosphere. Alien Resurrection is basically Pip farting on a snare drum. I remember reading some trivia somewhere that Jeunet was really into the idea of having a scene where a mosquito lands on Ripley, and upon drinking her blood disappears in a puff of smoke (because of its acidic nature). Is that at face value kind of funny? Yes. Does it really belong in an Alien movie? Uh

This legit owns and I wish it was in the final movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Resurrection was the studio trying to correct itself going so cheap on alien 3.

Aliens was only shot with 6 alien suits, endless swarm.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Remember when commercials for how awesome DVDs are and DVD marketing was talking up deleted scenes to make it sound like you could seamlessly change your mind about which cut of the movie you were watching and stuff? How much less Aliens and Star Wars discussion would happen if that was real. :O

I had the first X-Men movie on DVD and it had a feature where you could re-insert deleted scenes SEAMLESSLY into the movie. Of course what actually happened was that there was a slight pause while it searched elsewhere on the disc for the scene, which turned out to have no mastering done to it whatsoever so it looked totally different to the rest of the movie and none of the special effects had been finished properly. Then there was a slight pause where you'd go back to the regular movie and you'd see a few shots that appeared in the deleted scene. Then you'd stop the movie, go back to the menu, turn the feature off and never use it again because it was so horrible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember when Animated Menus was listed as a selling point and you were lucky to get that!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

oldpainless posted:

I remember when Animated Menus was listed as a selling point and you were lucky to get that!

And now we realise they are irritating garbage. Especially on TV boxsets where they like to show spoilers in them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There have been some cool animated menus. The one for The Abyss special edition DVD let's you navigate the interior of the underwater station, or the 1999 'Alien' DVD where you roamed the interior of the Nostromo (and had some fun Easter eggs, like Ash's science report on the Alien, and the crew personnel files).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

3 and AvP are the only ones that did this, to my recollection; 3 was deliberately trying to dial it back to the style of the first film, with one alien taking down a group of unarmed non-soldier victims, and AvP did it for continuity reasons (there's only a couple people that get facehugged in that movie and no other explanation for a large group of xenomorphs).

Oh, I don't include Alien 3 here, I understand it was a return to the single-menace format. I concur AVP is an offender and I swear Resurrection had not much more than the xenos that emerged from the "cargo" people that were used for facehugger-fodder, and that the number was even referenced in dialog.

Also in Requiem (this one I could be wrong about, it's been quite a while) where there ostensibly is a mass of aliens to deal with, the movie still mostly consists of scenes dealing with just a few aliens at a time.

Sef! posted:

On this note, Whedon's script ends with Nu-Ripley getting into a prolonged and intense fistfight with the Newborn (who in this version resembles a Resident Evil creature more than a confused cross-species hybrid abomination) and wins by grabbing its tongue/inner-jaw, ripping it out and using it to stab into its forehead... which also resembles something out of a Resident Evil movie.

Maybe they can re-use Whedon's script and cast Milla Jovovich and release it as "Resident Evil: Resurrection" and see if anybody notices.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only finally got around to seeing Resurrection like a couple years ago. It was full of people I like doing things I should like but man it's a bad movie. So many people jump to Whedon's defense, that obviously any alien project he was involved in should have turned out great but was obviously sabotaged. But I think he was just as much part of the movie being bad, probably for the same reason Firefly is mediocre and basically everything he makes is bad to middling meaningless nerd-media.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
How do people come to Whedon's defense on Resurrection when the entire plot was stale garbage? He should own up to it instead of blaming everyone else. It's also laughable how he was trashing the set designs as well, which were by far the best part about the movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immortan posted:

How do people come to Whedon's defense on Resurrection when the entire plot was stale garbage? He should own up to it instead of blaming everyone else. It's also laughable how he was trashing the set designs as well, which were by far the best part about the movie.
Whedon's plot is kinda making the best out of being written into a corner, what with having to literally bring the protagonist back from the dead. :v:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Whedon's plot is kinda making the best out of being written into a corner, what with having to literally bring the protagonist back from the dead. :v:

That's not the best that could have been done. It could have been not dreadful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cloning Ripley and making her part Alien is quite cool. Everything else is just really dull.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always remember resurrection being better than it is but then whenever I watch it I'm massively disappointed. I still find the hybrid baby alien at the end loving freaky though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Could've just... Not had Ripley in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I always remember resurrection being better than it is but then whenever I watch it I'm massively disappointed. I still find the hybrid baby alien at the end loving freaky though.

Yeah I recently rewatched it going in with the attitude "y'know, maybe people have been too hard on this movie" but, nope, I was wrong. It's impressively bad.

Steve2911 posted:

Siguorney Weaver ended up being the only good thing about it, so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

That is not really something up to the writers in this case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Siguorney Weaver ended up being the only good thing about it, so

Unlike Alien 3, It seems like she agreed to be in Resurrection because she heard that Jeunet was doing it, read the script, and genuinely liked the material. I don't think she would have come back if she didn't feel like Jeunet was going to do something interesting and different for the franchise. That's the sense I get from the Quadrilogy interviews at least, could be bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

She came back because Jeunet let her have her sex scene with the Alien.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Timby posted:

She came back because Jeunet let her have her sex scene with the Alien.
Every scene in the series is a sex scene though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some of the behind the scenes stuff from the Alien movies makes Weaver seem like kind of a bitch.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[In Pacific Rim mech suit] "get away from the Alien franchise, you BITCH!"

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Let's get real here, Sigourney Weaver can say whatever she likes but she did Alien Resurrection because they offered her $11 million, producer credit, and got to be a bigshot diva on the set.

A (what kind of looks like) sex scene with an alien? Yes, Ms. Weaver! Move the production to LA because you don't want to travel to London? Yes, Ms. Weaver! You want that other actress's outfit? It's yours, Ms. Weaver!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Some of the behind the scenes stuff from the Alien movies makes Weaver seem like kind of a bitch.

It's hard to tell because nobody that I've seen has really openly talked poo poo about her, but they also don't try to hide the fact that she was demanding shitloads of money for every sequel.

If I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, I think I can understand why she was hesitant to play the character again after Alien. Her career was blossoming and becoming inextricably attached to a sci-fi franchise probably didn't seem like a great idea. Of course now that we know all about Cameron's talent and how amazing Aliens turned out, its hard to see someone turning it down, but at the time it was probably a very tough decision.

After Aliens I really don't think she had any desire to play Ripley ever again, and you can't really blame her for the studio refusing to move on. For Alien 3 and Resurrection it seems like she was just grasping at straws for anything that would give the character a fresh element for her to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

Really? I know I just got done portraying her as a spoiled egomaniac but I was kind of taking the piss there. (And really, I don't even blame her: Star in your stupid movie? No thanks. Oh wait, you're going to pay me a fortune and treat me like a king? Well, then...)

All the behind the scenes stuff from the Alien movies I've seen she comes off well, the preferential treatment she received on the productions notwithstanding, and everybody has nothing but flattering things to say about her -- and the Alien movies have had some brutally honest post mortem chatter so it's not just PR fluff.