Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Uniforms are fine if you get a good one.

(You never get a good one)

(Seriously, who the gently caress puts maroon sweaters with grey trousers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Ours was pollen yellow and brown.

Also I didn't wear it for most of my time there because they literally didn't have stuff in the size for me and the other tall people there. My year alone had 7 people at 6'4" or above at age 16

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol at your colours I had to wear feldgrau top and bottom.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"The heat is only an issue for a few weeks each year", he raises his voice over the sound of students dropping from heat stroke.

This isn't even hyperbole. I know teachers there telling me that kids are fainting in their classes because the only window is the door (with no air con), and they have to wear long pants in what can be 40 degree heat. gently caress that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smithersnz posted:

This isn't even hyperbole. I know teachers there telling me that kids are fainting in their classes because the only window is the door (with no air con), and they have to wear long pants in what can be 40 degree heat. gently caress that.

Exactly. I set the air con at 18 during interval in my room, and will not let anyone even look at the remote, let alone change it. The kids that come in during period 4 or period 5 always comment on how nice it is compared to outside. But hey, I guess classroom behaviour management won't be a problem when all the kids have literally fainted.

Massey High are doing this to basically advertise to their community, but a fair few of their kids would come from families that live within the school zone, and when they're also telling the school to gently caress off, it's pretty obvious they've made a poo poo decision that they've failed to think through on. As for "it's only for a few weeks in the year?" Try saying that when it's your kid that collapsed from heat stroke.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 22, 2016

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's a great way to teach kids about the stupidity of authority figures

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Above-the-knee shorts all year round were a cool requirement of my high school uniform.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The argument I always heard for uniforms was that they equalised classes a bit because everyone had to buy the same poo poo, there was no rich kid with designer jeans and shirts. It's also easier to police for the teachers, since there's a lot less subjectivity involved when there's one official uniform.

Of course, it's all bullshit, because the poor kids have to buy third-hand uniform that is yellower than it should be and smells funny, and the rich kids get new uniforms and fancy shoes every year, and everyone knows who is who.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it's so you can tell which school a shoplifter goes to easily from the surveillance video

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember Macleans banned their students from drinking out of anything that wasn't a water bottle when walking home in their school uniforms.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lancelot posted:

I remember Macleans banned their students from drinking out of anything that wasn't a water bottle when walking home in their school uniforms.

And did everyone tell them to gently caress off because the school doesn't own you outside their grounds?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:psyduck:
When your school system is sounding more batshit than what I encountered in the Texas public school system, you are doing a bad job.

VVVV Yeah, no. When they're on the school grounds, then the school can tell them what to do. They shouldn't get a say in anything the children do when school is out. All that'll do is encourage them to act more like twats in rebellion.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 22, 2016

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

And did everyone tell them to gently caress off because the school doesn't own you outside their grounds?
I'm all for 'you represent your school when you're not at school' as it should encourage teens not to act like twats.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

I'm all for 'you represent your school when you're not at school' as it should encourage teens not to act like twats.

gently caress off gramps.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

A poo poo School posted:

Behaviour Outside the School
Students should always be aware of the fact that their conduct reflects upon themselves and upon the reputation of the college. Uniform should always be worn in a way that is a credit to the college. A high standard of conduct, including good speech and manners, and not eating/drinking in school uniform is expected while travelling to and from school. Macleans College students are expected to show consideration and courtesy towards younger children and adults.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I see rear end in a top hat rules like that, and all I can think of is how the hell they expect to be able to enforce this poo poo. Some hall monitor jerking awake in the middle of the night because somewhere, a student is drinking a soda with his jacket slung over his shoulder.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Macleans is in a bit of a unique position — they have a ludicrously small zone where property prices are inflated just because of access to the school. It's all a peninsular, with the school right in the middle of it. I think they'd get visibility over most of the in-zone students on their way home, either directly or through busybody parents narking on them.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I got pulled up for smoking in my school uniform outside of school, I pretty much did tell the deputy head to go gently caress himself (that was a months detention) and made it a point to light up at the gates in front of whatever teachers I could see. Also, drinking in town in uniform.

I am positive that overbearing authorities are the major cause of kids being raucous impetuous dickheads.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Some friends of mine were literally entrapped by the school. Someone had taken photos of them smoking in uniform outside of school, and when the dean called them in they denied it of course, so he made them sign something saying they hadn't been before revealing that he had the photos.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Literal entrapment would be if it was the dean who had offered the kids the cigarettes in the first place. This is just catching them in a lie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

I got pulled up for smoking in my school uniform outside of school, I pretty much did tell the deputy head to go gently caress himself (that was a months detention) and made it a point to light up at the gates in front of whatever teachers I could see. Also, drinking in town in uniform.

I am positive that overbearing authorities are the major cause of kids being raucous impetuous dickheads.

Yup, school absolutely annihilated any sense of respect for authority I had.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I think lies are justified when the asker has power over you, and the question is none if their business.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

I got put on "uniform report" (having my uniform checked everyday for a week) for walking home without my woolen blazer on during the Summer. I think it was February.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm so glad schools are doing all this instead of spending time on things that might engage teenagers with learning, rather than make them hate people in positions of authority.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

My kids are going to a high school which doesn't have a uniform.

:smug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ledge posted:

My kids are going to a high school which doesn't have a uniform.

:smug:

Western Springs?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Vagabundo posted:

Western Springs?

Home.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

:golfclap:

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

God forbid!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think He actually encourages.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
When I was at Macleans, some teachers would actually drive around the area after class to make sure student's uniforms were impeccable, and that nobody was eating or drinking while in uniform.

Don't send your kids to Macleans.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

This is mind boggling. Do they believe there are parents out there that would write off their school because kids that go there require sustenance?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think there were designated areas for that, separated by which house they belong to, IIRC.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A lot of schools (particularly girls schools) have this weird thing about eating in public. Obviously at a restaurant is fine, but like you cant sit at the bus stop with a bag of chips in school uniform.

Lancelot posted:

Literal entrapment would be if it was the dean who had offered the kids the cigarettes in the first place. This is just catching them in a lie.

Getting them to sign the thing was the extra, unnecessary step, it wasn't standard practice to have students sign written statements. He made them "officially" lie to him which they wouldn't have done if they'd known he had pictures. Thats like the definition of entrapment.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 22, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

I think there were designated areas for that, separated by which house they belong to, IIRC.

Is their sorting hat also a oval office?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I was sent home in 5th form one time for wearing the "wrong" socks. Note, my uniform was pants, and it was winter, and I was wearing farm flecks.

The teacher ordered them off, so I did, and shoved then in my bag - he demanded I hand then over, I said nope, he reached for my bag and I pulled it away before he could grab it. He ordered me hone, and of course I left - I went home and played video games.

Yeah I was a right little oval office at school, but of course I was - I was 15 for fucks sake.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Jesus christ. I'm a lot less annoyed with my own school system now. :psyduck:

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Our senior (form 5 to 7) uniform was awesomely generic: black below the waist, white above the waist. So you could wear black Roman sandals, black hot pants, and a white ruffled Victorian look-at-how-goth-I-am shirt if you wanted to. In practice, our uniform was black jeans, docs, and a white t-shirt -- as long as there was no colour on the shirt, no branding, no logo, it was fine. We would get hassled by teachers and told to change our shirt if there was even a hint of a Nike swoosh on a t-shirt.

I remember a kid getting suspended for smoking down the road, outside of school grounds, while in school uniform. His legitimate gripe was that he technically wasn't in uniform, because he was wearing a white t-shirt with some crappy surf design on the front. It was a pretty good lesson in authority and bullshit for us all.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Boys college in Nelson, uniform wasn't really that bad.

Only thing was forgetting mufti day was brutal af, remember seeing a kid pelted with oranges just walking up the road.

Also; I wrote some notes from the Trump rally, felt like writing it into a blog. In short basically it was a mixed bag of as bad as we have all imagined/seen - i.e. a quasi-fascist rally of mind-numbing stupidity - but also there were enough people there who made it all more humorous/not as serious of a threat as it might seem. Got just a few photos-

The rally took place in this absolutely cavernous lower level part of the Georgia World Congress Center. There were basically no chairs or seating, which was funny because it was quickly pressing against the fitness boundaries of the some of the attendees. Still, there was easily 10k+ people there.

-I thought this one might be good for intellectual property fuss

- Afterwards
- Sign from one of the few protestors who arrived

Seriously though, some of the rhetoric, and the way the crowd engaged with it, really was frightening. Everyone was absolutely thirsty for some kind of bloodsport of a protestor appearing - and when one did, the amount of noise and directed '2 minutes of hate' was something to behold. It was clear that actually Trump revelled in this and would have frankly been put out of there was no one to cause such a fuss

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

How loving tone-deaf do you have to be to use Pink Floyd to promote trumps ideas?!?!

• Locked thread