Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
are there still pirates around cause i kinda wanna get into this lifestyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket with really important information. Law of averages at sea and all.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You speak Somali, or Filipino?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yes but they look like this now

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I actually have it on good authority, that South America still has some notorious honest-to-goodness pirates.

Although their main plunder is stealing fish on fishboats, from other fishermen, so that they can sell them on the fish markets. So they're even smellier now than before, if you can believe it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kesper North posted:

Yes but they look like this now

Rocksicles posted:

You speak Somali, or Filipino?

Ehhh, very uncool. No sick coats. Dream ruined.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could buy a torpedo boat and get around South East Asia taking out gunships and the Russian mob.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

You could buy a torpedo boat and get around South East Asia taking out gunships and the Russian mob.

I loved that show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

:swoon:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wonder what the life expectancy on a pirate ship was. Probably awful.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

I wonder what the life expectancy on a pirate ship was. Probably awful.

My guess would be a year or two tops. Seems like most pirate captains only had a few years of being active at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The only ones that speak english are the Sea Shepherds and they don't let you have swords or anything cool, just ram impoverished fishermen and annoy the japanese. Also no booze or meat on the boat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We could become the pirates of the Great Lakes. Rob US and Canadian freight boats. No one would suspect it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Great Lakes are full of smugglers, do a good enough job and you might become official privateers of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

We could become the pirates of the Great Lakes. Rob US and Canadian freight boats. No one would suspect it.

im sure this thread will have no trouble kickstarting a pirate ship

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

A boat full of goons who think they are pirates, a recipe for a great misadventure.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

The only ones that speak english are the Sea Shepherds and they don't let you have swords or anything cool, just ram impoverished fishermen and annoy the japanese. Also no booze or meat on the boat.

#TeamSeaShepherd

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

But good chance you can get laid at sea on the Sea Shepherd as long as you don't mind natural deodorant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nate fisher posted:

But good chance you can get laid at sea on the Sea Shepherd as long as you don't mind natural deodorant.

Irish Spring is natural right?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
People talking about season 1 sucking when season 3 despite a great start with THE STORM and whatnot, has now sunk into its lull of island politics and Flint's crew spending 2+ episodes trapped in cages. :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

All of the women smell like a hamster cage according to people who have been there.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Did uk amazon release like two episodes at once? the most recent one Flint and Blackbeard dueled on a beach over who gets control of the fleet

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 23, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

Did uk amazon release like two episodes at once? the most recent one Flint and Blackbeard dueled on a beach over who gets control of the fleet

Who won?!

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Minimalist piracy.

Boat - $1500 (oars and/or sails sold separately)
Gun - $500 (carriage, gunpowder, and ammunition must be made/supplied yourself?)
Wood barrels and supplies would be another couple of hundred.
Flags are available just about anywhere but I'm sure at least a couple of you already have one.

Looks like only $3000-5000 in basic materials?

Not getting swept out to sea and/or arrested seem like they still might be something of a challenge. The latter would take care of the former though.

Oh, and avoid the Spanish; they still want that poo poo back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Swan_Project

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hope they get into some of the Outerbanks stuff. Blackbeard's homebase at the end was Ocracoke Island, and the island is famous for what is rumored the largest pirate party ever. It was hosted by Blackbeard, and both Vane and Rackham were in attendance. If you are in the states, and you have a real interest in pirates, OBX is an awesome place to visit (actually it is for many reasons).

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

VagueRant posted:

People talking about season 1 sucking when season

Season 1 was amazing, albeit a bit short. Those people sound crazy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

prak posted:

Minimalist piracy.

Boat - $1500 (oars and/or sails sold separately)
Gun - $500 (carriage, gunpowder, and ammunition must be made/supplied yourself?)
Wood barrels and supplies would be another couple of hundred.
Flags are available just about anywhere but I'm sure at least a couple of you already have one.

Looks like only $3000-5000 in basic materials?

Not getting swept out to sea and/or arrested seem like they still might be something of a challenge. The latter would take care of the former though.

Oh, and avoid the Spanish; they still want that poo poo back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Swan_Project

Ha, gently caress that. I would float that treasure back out to sea and sink it again. gently caress you governments.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

nate fisher posted:

I hope they get into some of the Outerbanks stuff. Blackbeard's homebase at the end was Ocracoke Island, and the island is famous for what is rumored the largest pirate party ever. It was hosted by Blackbeard, and both Vane and Rackham were in attendance. If you are in the states, and you have a real interest in pirates, OBX is an awesome place to visit (actually it is for many reasons).

aw what the gently caress. i spent a few weeks at OBX this past summer and didn't know this :(

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Wait so the Spanish know about the British with Eleanor having stole some part of the Urca gold due to spies?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty much, they know the marked gold has been cashed in for unmarked bills (pearls)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Binged the first two seasons and some of the latest episodes. Gotta say I love John Silver's story. Really well-written character. Good poo poo. And I think Blackbeard's tri-pistol coat is cooler than Flint's.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

anatomi posted:

Binged the first two seasons and some of the latest episodes. Gotta say I love John Silver's story. Really well-written character. Good poo poo. And I think Blackbeard's tri-pistol coat is cooler than Flint's.

Shots (sort of literally) fired!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Immortan posted:

Wait so the Spanish know about the British with Eleanor having stole some part of the Urca gold due to spies?

Max hasn't actually given it to him yet, so he hasn't stolen anything.

They know some gold was exchanged. So now he can't simply deliver the gold they did find, say "This was all that was there" and pocket the black pearls. Spain will be expecting him to recover the pearls too.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

anatomi posted:

In the scene where he saves Vane he fires one of his pistols. Next scene when he is on the boat there are only two in his chest rig. I really dig the attention to detail like that in this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm waiting for him to fight with lit fuses around his head. The guy certainly knew how to cut a terrifying image.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

anatomi posted:

How does it feel to be marked for death by THE COAT?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

JEEVES420 posted:

In the scene where he saves Vane he fires one of his pistols. Next scene when he is on the boat there are only two in his chest rig. I really dig the attention to detail like that in this show.

Why wouldn't he just tuck it back into his pocket?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm waiting for him to fight with lit fuses around his head. The guy certainly knew how to cut a terrifying image.

I'd like to see this too, because I read about it as a kid and I could never picture how it would even work. Seems like it'd be more distracting to Blackbeard than to anyone else.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This episode owned. The the dying Spanish Soldier with Vane, Flint talking to the black queen, Flint and Silver rekindling their friendship, that woman telling Eleanor and the British dude about the Spanish discovering their shenanigans, etc.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Hooboy on the latest, 6th episode.

Ohhh that Marmaduke/Blackbeard...he will never learn. Looks like I was spot on with Vane being his weakness.

And I gotta say, I did not see Rackham going THAT far. Jesus cripes...why do I get the feeling the last few episodes of this season will even blow the end of the 2nd one out of the water?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 27, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Well a single Somali pirate attack can easily bring in a few million dollars in ransom payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
The writing on this show can be at times so purple and melodramatic, I can't decide whether to love it or to roll my eyes, which means I usually do both. Like all this talk about Flint's terrible depths - it's like in bad fanfiction, everybody talks about how the Mary Sue is perfect and special, here they all talk about how somehow he's deep, terrible and profound. (And special.)

I usually still love it, even when it's pirates in all seriousness discussing their legacy, but they could do to ease up on the Flint thing a bit.

• Locked thread