Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

It looks like the guy's great obfuscation plan has just went down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

I *like* circus peanuts. I mean, I wouldn't sit down and eat a whole bag of them or anything, but having one once in a while is fine.

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wow, that's petty.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Wow, that's petty.

I don't know why she didn't just throw them back out into the snow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh yeah, this is why I read comics. Spreadsheets! Income projections! Looking forward to a whole week of a guy sitting at a desk doing calculations!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
A) he doesn't have to, because his secretaries did it "Just cause."

B) If you take this strip as an evil child using mind control to slowly rule the world, but with the slowest, shittiest plan ever, and Rex is the only person that can sort of fight it, it's almost fascinating. Almost.

C) It's not Pluggers.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Anora posted:

A) he doesn't have to, because his secretaries did it "Just cause."

B) If you take this strip as an evil child using mind control to slowly rule the world, but with the slowest, shittiest plan ever, and Rex is the only person that can sort of fight it, it's almost fascinating. Almost.

C) It's not Pluggers.

Pluggers would have all the necessary information written on cocktail napkins and scrap pieces of paper, all tucked in the back of a drawer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Surely Lynn Ellie would understand her fellow mother's need for a brief escape from those horrible little demons of thanklessness we call "children."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Wow, that's petty.

It was a dick move on both their parts.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

1. It's been at least a few storylines since it was mentioned, but yes. Sunday Ben Bolt went back to school and is taking college classes. Dana, I believe, is his surly tutor.

2. If the tutor is the same guy as before, that makes his girlfriend (wife?) a friend of Ben Bolt's girlfriend. That's how the two of them met.

3. Regardless of whether these are the same people (and they look the same) they should have been hanging out enough by now to know they don't have to put on airs. Hell, it was a major plot point of the other arc that Dana was inordinately touchy about the fact that he worked in a deli and thought Ben was making fun of him by going there one time.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

NEXT: GIRLFRIEND?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

A suitable tribute. :smith:
cc: Guy Gilchrist

Peanuts (February 23, 1969)

Since it looks like we're not going back to the post Valentine's Day Sunday strip (at least this year), here's February 16, 1969.

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way (October 22-23, 1928)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was Sally Forth's journey into jumping up its own rear end with its running gags a sudden thing or was it gradual?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is two-faced, squared.

Working Daze points out the futility of life.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix sets up a franchise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Somebody donated their sex dwarf gear?

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Was Sally Forth's journey into jumping up its own rear end with its running gags a sudden thing or was it gradual?

Pretty gradual. It was the common comedy problem of a joke working too well. Ted broke the fourth wall once and it was pretty funny, so he broke it a few more times and it was funny and now he does it all the time and so does the rest of the family and Hil's friends and it's less funny. Hey, Ces! Breaking the fourth wall and/or being self referential is a sometimes food! It's really good... sometimes!

All that said, I still think Sally Forth is really good. Definitely one of the best American strips today.

Ripley's is underselling how cool this is.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 21, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The 4th wall breaking thing actually works perfectly fine in-universe.
Ted had such an abusive and lovely childhood that he absorbed himself completely in TV and movies.
His defense structure is seeing his life in terms of plot hooks, and dialogue structures.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

heh. heh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder if any of Condo's friends ever opened the periodicals on the illustrated funny comical sequential funnies and went, "well I never!" as they realize they are Everett True's inconsiderate hooligan of the week

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Julet Esqu posted:

Pretty gradual. It was the common comedy problem of a joke working too well. Ted broke the fourth wall once and it was pretty funny, so he broke it a few more times and it was funny and now he does it all the time and so does the rest of the family and Hil's friends and it's less funny. Hey, Ces! Breaking the fourth wall and/or being self referential is a sometimes food! It's really good... sometimes!

All that said, I still think Sally Forth is really good. Definitely one of the best American strips today.

The daughter's reliance on "safe places" might also be a way of dealing with the break up. Like she's taking it very poorly and is trying to maintain her composure by doing things "the way they always are." So que Ted breaking his Star Wars tape in half and watching her lose her poo poo.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

heh. heh.

Sure enough, this ran right around the time Bush was pardoning everyone involved in Iran-Contra. Ugh.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

1. It's been at least a few storylines since it was mentioned, but yes. Sunday Ben Bolt went back to school and is taking college classes. Dana, I believe, is his surly tutor.

2. If the tutor is the same guy as before, that makes his girlfriend (wife?) a friend of Ben Bolt's girlfriend. That's how the two of them met.

3. Regardless of whether these are the same people (and they look the same) they should have been hanging out enough by now to know they don't have to put on airs. Hell, it was a major plot point of the other arc that Dana was inordinately touchy about the fact that he worked in a deli and thought Ben was making fun of him by going there one time.

Wasn't Ben's surly tutor named George last time we saw him, though?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

I have no idea who this guy is. George was the surly tutor with the inferiority complex.

Selachian posted:

Wasn't Ben's surly tutor named George last time we saw him, though?

:shittydog:

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 22, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess that's what happens when you don't feel like checking back.
v :) v

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I've been giggling like a schoolgirl at this for the last ten minutes. The wordless punchline is perfect.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

:(

Judge Parker

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Gaping maw, huh?

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (October 22-23, 1928)

i can't figure this one out and it's really bugging me - can someone red and rover this for me?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I think he's telling the horse not to sleep around because then you end up with babies, but I'm not sure.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
The foal is stuck in the mud and he's laying down brush for footing so he can pull it out. Meanwhile he's telling the mother to be a more attentive parent to prevent things like this from happening. The joke is that he's giving advice to a horse. It's super funny, if you're an early 20th-century cowboy and haven't seen another human being in weeks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blaze! :ohdear:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never actually picked up the premise of Wahoo Terminal, what exactly is going on?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pimple was always one of my favourites :3

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Ah yes. They ALWAYS do that, they are incapable of doing otherwise under any circumstances and furthermore nobody else physically capable of holding the gun like that. Inspector Danger, you've done it again!

(Not to mention both hands have identical gunpowder residue patterns which means the Inspector Danger cartoonist apparently thinks "holding a gun with two hands" means somehow squeezing it awkwardly between your palms as you fire it instead of how it's actually done)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 22, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

LordPants posted:

I never actually picked up the premise of Wahoo Terminal, what exactly is going on?

Gag a day strip about a small weirdo.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I really like the Moomin comics, I had no idea that they got so involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Moomin_characters

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Slenderman comix.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

What ever happened to that storyline where they weren't going to fool around until they're married?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of Moomins, there's talks about a new animated series directed by Steve Box.

• Locked thread