Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Thor has a cancerous tumor directly on his b hole :(. Surgery is Wednesday. Hopefully it hasn't spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
As of tomorrow morning I'm going to be a dog owner. She is a 7-year-old unspayed bichon/maltese cross named Midge. I know nothing else about her except she is adorable and said to be sweet and good with kids. I'm just realizing I don't exactly know what to do when we get home with her. Any suggestions? Other than buy supplies and make a vet appointment ASAP. And play with her a lot.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Engineer Lenk posted:

Get a lightweight leash or ribbon and let her drag it for a few days, step on the leash to prevent having to chase her when it's time to go outside and make it as low key and calm as possible.

This made all the difference in the world for us, thanks!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

pookel posted:

As of tomorrow morning I'm going to be a dog owner. She is a 7-year-old unspayed bichon/maltese cross named Midge. I know nothing else about her except she is adorable and said to be sweet and good with kids. I'm just realizing I don't exactly know what to do when we get home with her. Any suggestions? Other than buy supplies and make a vet appointment ASAP. And play with her a lot.

Maybe make a quiet space for her so she can go rest alone if she's freaked out by the new surroundings. Like a crate with toys and a blanket over it or something.

I did this with Pax, although he never used it because he was so energetic and sociable, an older dog being re homed may appreciate it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

McSharpie posted:

I would definitely get insurance for a rescue dog of an unknown background because you never know what genes they got and what they went through before being brought to the shelter that could cause problems down the line.

My dude managed to tear both ACLs in his hind legs within a few days of each other about 4 months after we brought him home. Insurance helped pay for a good chunk of the costs to get him fixed and now he's back to running around like his overgrown puppy self again and I have a lot less debt.

I have Trupanion which was recommended to me by my vet so you might look into them as well.

Yeah, my family definitely wished they had gotten insurance for our rescue beagle/basset/who knows what other hounds. The warning signs should have been when half his litter died and his mother shortly after we adopted him. At 2 he developed Addison's Disease that necessitated a lifetime of weekly shots and steroids to fight the side effects of the shots plus some sort of mega obesity that wouldn't go away no matter what he did.

He lived a happy 12 years on the shots and pills, but my parents payed way more for him than they ever did the other two dogs.

That's not to say any rescue dog is a expensive disease ready to happen, but an unknown background means you can't prepare.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
We recently just started transitioning our 3 year hound/lab mix to Wellness dog food and he's been getting half a cup for a week. He has been eating Iams his whole life so we went slow with it in the beginning with small portions. He hasn't had any diarrhea or anything. Solid stool and everything and he acted normal for the whole week. This morning he didn't want to get up from his bed and I heard his stomach making noises. I finally got him to go out around 9 am this morning and he walks really slow and back legs are shaking. He had a normal looking stool and peed just fine. I had to carry him back in because he didn't want to move and just sat down outside. I think it maybe painful for him to walk?

Just took him out again and he had yellowish soft diarrhea and he peed as well. He didn't want to eat and he hasn't drank any water all day. I'm worried at this point but wanted to know if anyone else had this issue before I take him to the vet.

As far as I know he hasn't gotten into anything that he could eat. So my only guess would be us switching his food. He gets walks all day and he's inside the rest of the day.

edit: welp. He got better by the end of the day and was walking, drinking water and ate his food. This morning he refused to get up and couldn't even put weight on his legs. So we took him to the vet. Hopefully it's not going to require surgery. :/

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm likely picking up my beagle pup next weekend and I'll have an 8 hour drive back with a dog who has never met me. I'll likely have a day or so before the drive to meet and get her used to me, but I've never done a drive this long with the family dogs, much less an unfamiliar one. Any tips on how to make the ride back comfortable for her? A shot this long isn't exactly comfortable for me, so I can't imagine she'll enjoy it either. I'd prefer she was loose to go and lie and she pleased, but I wonder if a cage would be a better call.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Warbird posted:

I'm likely picking up my beagle pup next weekend and I'll have an 8 hour drive back with a dog who has never met me. I'll likely have a day or so before the drive to meet and get her used to me, but I've never done a drive this long with the family dogs, much less an unfamiliar one. Any tips on how to make the ride back comfortable for her? A shot this long isn't exactly comfortable for me, so I can't imagine she'll enjoy it either. I'd prefer she was loose to go and lie and she pleased, but I wonder if a cage would be a better call.

We had a 4 hour drive with ours (10 weeks at the time), my wife sat with him in the back seat the whole way. He whimpered for a while, slept, cuddled my wife and repeated that process about every hour or so. We stopped every 40 minutes or so to let him go to the bathroom.

I'm not sure if you're doing it alone or will have someone with you. I would recommend the crate. If you're always going to crate the dog while driving you should do it from the start and get them used to it. My dog actually enjoys the crate in the car unlike in our house. Once you let them roam free, good luck getting them back in there. Besides, a secure crate is safer than roaming loosely.

Also, see if you can get a blanket or cloth from the mom so it carries her scent. I've heard lot of dogs responding very well to this.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

a shameful boehner posted:

I just put my 6yo German Shepherd Bella to sleep after a long battle with nasal sarcoma

it's also valentine's day and my girlfriends birthday

i love you Bella and I'm going to miss you so much I want to die

her last walk

im so sorry forgive me

Sorry about your loss. :(

Such a loving horrible decision to be forced to make.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Is this thread an ok place to ask for breed advice / general advice on how to handle getting a dog for a first time owner? I'm not looking to get a puppy but wanting to adopt a young, 1-2 year old rescue and just want to get some advice on my situation and what breeds/breed mixes to look for or avoid.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nosleep posted:

Is this thread an ok place to ask for breed advice / general advice on how to handle getting a dog for a first time owner? I'm not looking to get a puppy but wanting to adopt a young, 1-2 year old rescue and just want to get some advice on my situation and what breeds/breed mixes to look for or avoid.

Shoot, dude. Worst we tell you is "get a cat".

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

nosleep posted:

What's your living situation? Yard? Small apartment? bachelor with a 9-5? If you're renting keep in mind the unofficial "aggressive" dog list. There's some that you'd be surprised to see on there

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

I'm in a house and have the whole basement area to myself basically, and have 3 roommates, and well all have different schedules and don't really see each other much. I know they'd be fine with me getting a dog, and the dog would would be able to go anywhere in the house. Rent but no restrictions to any kind of animal at this house. My schedule is the main barrier. I'm gonna post a long rear end post of poo poo I typed up that I posted at another forum. Just want to lay out as much information as possible. Please don't tell me to get a cat. :(

I've recently decided I'd like to try and go forward with getting a dog and make it work with my lifestyle. I've always wanted my own dog and have grew up around and been around dogs my entire life, but never have been the primary owner. I haven't gone forward primarily due to my work life situation, but I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. I don't want to be someone who couldn't care for their dog properly and want to do everything as responsibly as possible with the best interests of the dog in mind.

I am away from the house for much of the day but I'm free pretty much every weekend and only work half a day on Fridays. I can afford a dog walker now at least 2-3 days a week and am in a situation where my roommate can help take the dog out during the day as well.

I'm hoping to get some help deciding on a breed that would be a good fit for me and getting some insight on whether or not my thoughts are actually feasible, or if there are things I haven't thought of.
I'd like a dog of medium energy level, 1-2 years old, one that can go for some runs or hikes with me, be able to be comfortable and well behaved when going to visit friends and family and being around new people and their animals. My parents have two small Shi Tzus and 3 cats and a good friend of mine has an English Pointer, so being able to get along with these other animals would be important. Some local breweries I like to visit here allow you to bring your dog in, and that would be neat but not a must. Also would like my dog to be content being lazy at home and sitting on the couch with me. I've always wanted a dog that really is attached to me as it's caregiver and is very obedient and loyal (not to the point of separation anxiety though..)

I initially wanted an amstaff or pit. I've lived with and helped care for an awesome pit in the past. They seem to fit my lifestyle and exercise requirements, but they have their obvious drawbacks, specifically dog aggression and hard to find a place to rent with them. I've still not completely discounted them because I know there are cases where they can be fine around other dogs if they've been properly socialized. I'm not dead set on a breed other than I want it to be a medium to large dog and I don't want a small breed, or a poodle, a cocker spaniel, a schnauzer, etc. I think my best bet is to search through the local shelters and look for dogs around the age and temperament I'm looking for. I think a lab or lab mix is probably the most likely option, but being trainable and obedient, being able to be left alone 4 days a week, (with my roommate or dog walker taking them out once a day) and being nice around other people and animals are the main things.

My biggest issue is I have a 35-40 minute commute to work and can't come home at lunch. I work 8 hours MW and 10 hours TTh, so I'm away from the house for 10 hours and 12 hours. My roommate who works nights can potentially take the dog out every day for a walk or at the very least out long enough to pee/poop. On days she couldn't do it I would set up a dog walking service. I imagine I would be able to find one who I can schedule sporadic appointments and as needed walks. It would be hard to afford a dog walker every weekday, but I don't think I would need it more than a couple days a week. If the situation changed i.e. she moved out, I would make it work.

Overall, just looking for some insight on the feasibility of my situation and also what to look for in a rescue dog. I have 5-6 local shelters bookmarked, and they all seem to indicate what the breed mixes are and if the dog is ok with other dogs/cats/kids etc which will help. Any particular breed/breed combinations to lean towards or to specifically avoid?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
One thing to keep in mind is that a high energy dog is not one that will be "content being lazy at home and sitting on the couch with me." High energy dogs are GO GO GO GO pretty much 24/7 and it takes a fuckload of work to teach them that chilling with you while you watch tv is even an option. A young dog with a moderate energy level will still be able to go jogging or hiking with you and will be much more inclined to chill with you. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking because they run, they want a high energy dog but the reality is you need to choose the energy level that matches up with your life the majority of the time, not the one that fits activities you do a couple hours a week at most.

Honestly a lab or lab mix sounds like a great choice and the nice thing is there are shitloads in rescues and shelters. After pits and chihuahuas, lab mixes are probably the easiest dogs to adopt. Your instincts about pit and staffie mixes is correct - if you aren't keen on dealing with dog aggression or aggression towards small animals, it's best to avoid them. Socialization has no bearing on genetic drives like dog aggression. With training you can teach them to tolerate other dogs but their inclination to start poo poo will always be there and it is A LOT of work.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's your living situation? Yard? Small apartment? bachelor with a 9-5? If you're renting keep in mind the unofficial "aggressive" dog list. There's some that you'd be surprised to see on there

If you own your own home it can be extremely difficult to get homeowner's insurance if you have a blacklisted breed. The combination of three GSDs and living in an area with a high wildfire risk made it almost impossible for us to get insurance, in the end we ended up having to pay for another insurance policy on top of homeowner's to get coverage for any damages caused by the dogs.

Difficulty in getting insurance was one of those things I shrugged off when I was renting and was looking into getting a GSD but it ended up being a huge problem when we were trying to buy a home. Not that you're necessarily looking at getting a blacklisted breed but if you're thinking about getting pit bulls, German Shepherds, huskies, Akitas, etc it's definitely something to consider.

E: For some reason I thought you said you wanted a medium or high energy dog, whoops

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
One last thing - don't count on your roommates helping out. I know they say they will but trust me the novelty wears off after a while. Every single person I know who had roommates who said YEAH ILL TOTALLY HELP OUT!!! ended up having their roommates bail when they realized sometimes taking care of a dog requires actual work and effort and it ended up causing a lot of problems between housemates. If they do help out, awesome! But don't rely on them.

Working fulltime and having a dog can work though - hell, most people who own dogs aren't home for at least 9 hours a day. I have three GSDs and an hour commute. It's not ideal but we make it work. If youre thoughtful about your choice of dog and how you manage it, it shouldn't be a problem. Just for god's sake don't get a puppy lol

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

The only reason I'm even taking into account a roommate helping out as a possibility is the fact that our old roommate had a pit who I helped feed/walk and she (current roommate) did also, and she's an animal lover and probably would like the idea. Either way it's obviously temporary because I'm gonna have a dog for 8-12 years or more and I'm not gonna live here forever, but initially it would help things. And yea, I don't want a dog that needs 24/7 stimulation but I don't want to exclude dogs that need moderate exercise, because I can provide that and I want to. I have a backyard that is good for throwing a ball etc and there is a dog park and running trails literally 200 yards from my house so lots of options for activity.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Literally every dog save bedridden cripples need at least moderate exercise, I don't think you're excluding much of anything with that criteria :) Honestly a young but fairly low energy dog seems like it would fit your bill nicely. I'd personally avoid herding breeds, pits, and huskies though - they tend to be very energetic dogs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A got a greyhound recently and he's been fantastic. Came crate trained, took about a week to get him fully house trained. He's been cooped up due to the cold weather for the past 2 weeks and got by with 15 minutes of walking a day. Today it was 60 out and I took him for a 4.5 mile jog/walk and he handled it fine. Perfect combination of low energy during the week but still up for adventuring on weekends.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm getting the beagle next weekend. Anything on the shortlist I should pick up before then? A crate, bedding, leash, harness, bowls, food, and toys come to mind. Would I do well to work from home the first few mornings she's staying with me? Anything I should worry about regarding her changing owners? They've had her for a little over 4 months. Hot tips regarding getting her spayed (~10 months old currently)?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Puppy training classes as soon as they allow. It's such a great investment and will show you that the dog is rarely the problem ... it's usually the owner.

A bowl and water dish. When it comes to food, continue with what the breeder was feeding them. You can change later but gradually.

Poop bags to pick up after her with. A leash bag holder works great too. I have 2 leashes. A 25 ft training leash for recall work and a standard 6 foot walking leash.

An old sweatshirt of yours that has your scent in it for her to get used to. I put mine in my puppies bed/in his crate to acclimate him. At 7 months he still lays on my dirty clothes if they're out.

Some old towels and blankets that you're okay with being shat on or destroyed. Goodwill and tjmaxx are great for this.

The biggest thing ... patience. Puppies are awesome and cute but they can be frustrating so just be patient and realize it takes time for things to catch on.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The guy I was going to get the dog from bailed. :( Back to square one.

There's a sweet mini schnauzer at the local humane society that we met yesterday. I think she's been debarked - she tried to bark and this awful little wheeze came out. :( She must be some kind of cross as she's mostly brown, but she was very schnauzer-shaped. She was mostly interested in sniffing things and licking us.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nosleep posted:

The only reason I'm even taking into account a roommate helping out as a possibility is the fact that our old roommate had a pit who I helped feed/walk and she (current roommate) did also, and she's an animal lover and probably would like the idea. Either way it's obviously temporary because I'm gonna have a dog for 8-12 years or more and I'm not gonna live here forever, but initially it would help things. And yea, I don't want a dog that needs 24/7 stimulation but I don't want to exclude dogs that need moderate exercise, because I can provide that and I want to. I have a backyard that is good for throwing a ball etc and there is a dog park and running trails literally 200 yards from my house so lots of options for activity.

Ah, but will you want to when you're making GBS threads your brains out with the flu and all you want to do is hide under the covers and barf into a bucket near the bed? Some dogs will go "oh man okay let me nestle in with you" while for instance, herding breeds, like Triangulum said, will bring you a fort of stuffed animals, eat a hole through the wall and let themselves out because Why Aren't You Paying Attention To Me Let's Do Something.

You sound like you generally like short haired breeds. A lab would love hanging with you and there's tons of them out there. A number of giant breeds would love it, too. You could look into hounds, but keep in mind that when they bark they tend to bark and bark and bark pretty heartily and some may be more hardcore than others. A greyhound might be right up your alley.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Are you set on getting a 1-2 year old? A 3-4 year old might fit your needs better, they're generally chilled out more than a 1-2 year old but still have plenty of get up and go when you want it but they're also more willing to hang out when you just feel like being lazy. For reference my high energy dog chewed literal holes in my walls when he was 1. Now that he's 4 he's fine with just hanging out and isn't GO GO GO all the time, but he can definitely still switch it on when appropriate (and sometimes not appropriate).

Working full time isn't too big of a deal with adult dogs, I work an 8+ hour day with an hour commute each way and mine are fine being home alone that long. I'd try not to leave work any later than you have to on your 10 hour days but it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you're planning on getting a dog walker. I don't know how flexible your work hours are but I always find that going in earlier rather than staying later on days I need to work extra works better with the dogs, they just go back to bed when I leave earlier rather than sitting around wondering where I am in the afternoon.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ah, but will you want to when you're making GBS threads your brains out with the flu and all you want to do is hide under the covers and barf into a bucket near the bed? Some dogs will go "oh man okay let me nestle in with you" while for instance, herding breeds, like Triangulum said, will bring you a fort of stuffed animals, eat a hole through the wall and let themselves out because Why Aren't You Paying Attention To Me Let's Do Something.

Compared to an adolescent lab, though? I'd take a working bred border collie any day of the week. They have a much better off switch.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The answer is to get a greyhound

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I'm unable to give the dog attention because I'm sick or something I suppose I could just use the dog walker for a longer session.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Are you set on getting a 1-2 year old? A 3-4 year old might fit your needs better, they're generally chilled out more than a 1-2 year old but still have plenty of get up and go when you want it but they're also more willing to hang out when you just feel like being lazy. For reference my high energy dog chewed literal holes in my walls when he was 1. Now that he's 4 he's fine with just hanging out and isn't GO GO GO all the time, but he can definitely still switch it on when appropriate (and sometimes not appropriate).

I wouldn't mind getting a little older dog, a 2-3 year old is probably the best fit for me I suppose. I get a lot of recommendations that seem to trend toward looking for lower energy levels or dogs that don't require much stimulation. I don't want a border collie or working breed that requires constant attention and stimulation, but I don't mind having something that I need to give an hour or two of exercise a day. I'm single, and most of my friends have moved away from the area, and I need something to do. I know there would be challenges (e.g. as mentioned if I'm sick, or have something out of the ordinary come up and don't just have a family member to deal with the dog for me) but there have to be plenty of people with dogs who don't have perfect setups.

Not exactly interested in a greyhound but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
yeah nothing says moderate energy like a working line border collie..

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Engineer Lenk posted:

Compared to an adolescent lab, though? I'd take a working bred border collie any day of the week. They have a much better off switch.

Have you ever even met a working bred border collie

E: Nosleep, if you aren't set on having a dog whose breed you can be like "oh it's a *whatever*" to people who ask, I honestly suggest you just go meet some shelter mutts. There's tons of dogs out there that would fuckin love to go run with you, play ball in your back yard and sleep on your floor. We've pretty much given you what to avoid. Other than that, you oughta be able to find a good buddy.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 22, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

When speaking with a petsmart employee about crates for the coming pup, she mentioned draping something over the wire crate to make it "more den like". It's the first I've heard of something like this. Can someone speak to this? I've got a buddy that crate trained his lab/beagle mix, but she's in more of a large plastic carrier with largely solid sides. Would this be a better option? It would be a fair bit cheaper and could be used for traveling fairly easy.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
The fox has figured out where the boundary to Paxs electric fence is.

When she spots him, she runs just past the boundary and stares at him

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nosleep posted:

If I'm unable to give the dog attention because I'm sick or something I suppose I could just use the dog walker for a longer session.

I wouldn't mind getting a little older dog, a 2-3 year old is probably the best fit for me I suppose. I get a lot of recommendations that seem to trend toward looking for lower energy levels or dogs that don't require much stimulation. I don't want a border collie or working breed that requires constant attention and stimulation, but I don't mind having something that I need to give an hour or two of exercise a day. I'm single, and most of my friends have moved away from the area, and I need something to do. I know there would be challenges (e.g. as mentioned if I'm sick, or have something out of the ordinary come up and don't just have a family member to deal with the dog for me) but there have to be plenty of people with dogs who don't have perfect setups.

Not exactly interested in a greyhound but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Basically, when people talk about the energy level of a dog, they're mostly talking about a minimum, not a maximum. A low-energy dog will happily chase a ball around or jog around for an hour if you get him excited about it - but if you're not really feeling it (for instance, if it's pouring rain outside or a massive blizzard is coming through or you're just sick as hell and not up to that kind of activity) they're okay with laying down and just chilling with you and maybe chewing on a toy all day. A low-energy dog might not require much stimulation, but that doesn't mean they won't enthusiastically accept it if you're offering.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Warbird posted:

When speaking with a petsmart employee about crates for the coming pup, she mentioned draping something over the wire crate to make it "more den like". It's the first I've heard of something like this. Can someone speak to this? I've got a buddy that crate trained his lab/beagle mix, but she's in more of a large plastic carrier with largely solid sides. Would this be a better option? It would be a fair bit cheaper and could be used for traveling fairly easy.

We have 2, a plastic one for the car and a wire one for the house. If we had to choose just one I would go with plastic. Overall it's just easier to move around, lighter and easier to clean if need be.

Check Craigslist. I bought my $150 plastic vari-kennel for $30 in fairly brand new condition.

As far as the cover it works for some dogs. My pup pulls the blanket through the bars and it doesn't seem to help him relax.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Warbird posted:

Draping a blanket over a wire crate is pretty common but it's not any better than using a plastic crate. I personally use wire crates in the car and plastic at home.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have you ever even met a working bred border collie

Went herding today with my dog for half an hour and she's been chilling in the house the rest of the day; she'd be up for more activity but she doesn't demand it. This is typical for most of the working bred border collies I've met, as well as a couple of dogs that I've fostered. Sport bred dogs are legit crazy and AKC bred have drive all over the map. The exercise and energy requirements aren't all that different from the other sporting breeds.

My point still stands that labs in full spaz mode are a pain to live with.

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically, when people talk about the energy level of a dog, they're mostly talking about a minimum, not a maximum. A low-energy dog will happily chase a ball around or jog around for an hour if you get him excited about it - but if you're not really feeling it (for instance, if it's pouring rain outside or a massive blizzard is coming through or you're just sick as hell and not up to that kind of activity) they're okay with laying down and just chilling with you and maybe chewing on a toy all day. A low-energy dog might not require much stimulation, but that doesn't mean they won't enthusiastically accept it if you're offering.

Provided you don't get a low drive dog. Teaching a dog to get interested in toys, fetch, or running when they have no natural inclination that way is a giant pain in the rear end.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 22, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah while labs and golden retrievers are considered "the dog" by many people and I love labs, they can be loving crazy as puppies, and some never mellow out. My sister had to replace her living room window three times .. her chocolate lab would chase squirrels and birds right through the window.

If you get a breed that was typically meant for a certain physical activity such as herding or hunting (herders, collies, retrievers, pointers etc) be prepared to exercise them or your likely to have a bored dog. Some dogs have an off switch which is great ... others do not. Maybe try spending some time at a dog park observing dogs of all types before deciding. In the last 5 months we've had our dog, I've spent more time with dogs than I feel comfortable admitting. Dogs like people are greatly shaped by those raising them but some dogs are just nuts ... like some people.

I have a 7 month old vizsla ... he's a upland bird hunting pointer. I knew exactly what we were getting into with a bird dog so it was no surprise. I take him to the off leash park every day for a minimum of an hour. We've been as long as 3 hours and he can go full speed the whole time. When I'm on a job and have to work so day he's at doggy day care.

When we're at home he's typically a couch potato. When it's been raining and he hasn't been out in a day or two he gets stir crazy and starts misbehaving. He does a decent job of laying around but I know he has a limit.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not a dog owner, but I might get one in a few years time. I'm wondering what's the deal with e-collars and bark collars? The OP in this thread says that trainers shouldn't use them, but I'm curious to hear from goons whether or not they think they're good for training or not and/or some stories.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Engineer Lenk posted:

Went herding today with my dog for half an hour and she's been chilling in the house the rest of the day; she'd be up for more activity but she doesn't demand it. This is typical for most of the working bred border collies I've met, as well as a couple of dogs that I've fostered. Sport bred dogs are legit crazy and AKC bred have drive all over the map. The exercise and energy requirements aren't all that different from the other sporting breeds.

My point still stands that labs in full spaz mode are a pain to live with.

Working bred collies own for their off switch. Pet or sport bred are where I usually see the nutty ones that can't relax. Even my dumb foster settles eventually, tho he hasn't ever been taught to chill.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Verman posted:

Check Craigslist. I bought my $150 plastic vari-kennel for $30 in fairly brand new condition.

I've heard from a few different people that it's not advisable to get a used crate as the new pup will smell the old one and not attribute the crate as being their own or something. I'll glance around, but the local PS had a decently sized plastic crate for about $50.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are many "common sense" things like that or expiration dates on most food that's meant to get you to buy new even when you don't need to. Clean it and put something that smells of your dog in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Meeko was limping last night and this morning. After some quick examination this morning before heading off to work, I noticed he has a damaged nail on one of his back paws. I failed to take a picture, but there's no bleeding or blood present at all and it appears to be more of a hang nail type situation. A lot of reading up on what to do seems to be worse scenarios than this and recommend a vet visit. Is the vet the right course of action here or should I give it a week and see if he heals up on his own?