Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...What are you even writing here? Are those actual fan translations?

The first one was Jesus Burgess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yes. The early fan translations of One Piece were a special kind of :psyduck:.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In the old days, the before times, the majority of scanlations were done by people who did not actually know Japanese, and instead translated from Chinese scanlations or by using Google translate.

In these more enlightened times people still do that but have other people called "quality checkers" whose position in the scanlation group involves taking these blatant offenses against decency and painstakingly molding them into something legible.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Kild posted:

The davy back fight with "looser" all over is triggering me

Or translating some word for monster or something as "evil" to describe chopper. "It's a evil!"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/02/20-1/additional-one-piece-gold-anime-movie-designs-spotted

Some leaked images of One Piece's Gold charecter designs

Ussop gets the best outfits, that peak of Franky's wolf hoodie is fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Once again Oda forgot to finish the kiss doll for Nami and Robin

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Or translating some word for monster or something as "evil" to describe chopper. "It's a evil!"

Yeah, some parts of the scanlations are terrible, thankfully I have the viz versions for verification... although Zolo drives me nuts

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krampus Grewcock posted:

it's even better when you see sanji call luffy a monster that one time inbetween all of the evil nonsense

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Haha Doku Q is just cute. They get a gold star sticker for that one.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump and it's really hard to not read early scanlations but I regret it every time. The translations are so much worse.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

I subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump and it's really hard to not read early scanlations but I regret it every time. The translations are so much worse.

Yeah, definitely.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

F. Lobot posted:

:same:

Though I don't feel guilty about reading the scanlations since I actually do pay for the service, so there is that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since Naruto ended and I tossed Bleach in the trash, One Piece is the only Shonen Jump comic I read, so a subscription isn't really worth it to me.

I'm buying all the omnibuses though and resisting the temptation to read ahead; less than a month until my first repeat reading of Luffy vs. Lucci!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're not reading my hero academia? Very not cool!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, but I just remembered that Assassination Classroom is in Jump as well, so there's that.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

My hero academia is the best thing in jump that isn't one piece right now. And from week to week it's often better.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MHA is good but boy I can't wait til 10 years down the line when folks start to turn on it despite no actual difference in quality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It doesn't seem the type to go on for that ling, honestly. But who knows, maybe he'll follow the naruto and bleach cash cow methods of just not giving a poo poo

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Captain Invictus posted:

You're not reading my hero academia? Very not cool!

It just doesn't click for me. More power to whoever reads it though, at least it's not Bleach

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, but I just remembered that Assassination Classroom is in Jump as well, so there's that.

Which is ending soon I hear.

Which in its own way is exciting despite being the end of a thing because what will that mangaka do NEXT?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Between One Piece, My Hero Academia, and Onepunch Man there's basically no reason not to just get a Jump subscription. It's like what, $15 a year? All you have to do is wait a few days and you get professional translation that don't have lovely scans and cleanup jobs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Comic posted:

Which is ending soon I hear.

Which in its own way is exciting despite being the end of a thing because what will that mangaka do NEXT?

Yep, four chapters left. It's managed to wrap up in a pretty lean 180 chapters.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Asimo posted:

Between One Piece, My Hero Academia, and Onepunch Man there's basically no reason not to just get a Jump subscription. It's like what, $15 a year? All you have to do is wait a few days and you get professional translation that don't have lovely scans and cleanup jobs.

Also Toriko. Toriko is pretty drat crazy right now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asimo posted:

There's also the fact that you get those Yu-Gi-Oh! Jump Promos in the mail. The Yu-Gi-Oh! secondary market is so full of sheep that it's usually easy enough to just sell those cards and make back the price you paid for subscription...sometimes more, if the card printed sees meta play (There was a short time where Frightfur Tiger was $75 :signings: )

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This is pretty much the dopest One Piece toy of all time

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/352990

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think this one is cooler.

http://pop-onepiece.blogspot.com/2011/08/usopp-portrait-of-pirates-strong.html

Also LOL at the Nami ones in the sidebar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Enel with optional enelface piece will always be the toppest of top tier

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Radish posted:

I think this one is cooler.

http://pop-onepiece.blogspot.com/2011/08/usopp-portrait-of-pirates-strong.html

Also LOL at the Nami ones in the sidebar.

The kid Franky one looks like it would get the cops knocking on my door.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Julias posted:

There's also the fact that you get those Yu-Gi-Oh! Jump Promos in the mail. The Yu-Gi-Oh! secondary market is so full of sheep that it's usually easy enough to just sell those cards and make back the price you paid for subscription...sometimes more, if the card printed sees meta play (There was a short time where Frightfur Tiger was $75 :signings: )

Well I didn't care about not getting those outside of North America until I read this post :negative:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

Enel with optional enelface piece will always be the toppest of top tier

Link?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

http://www.tomopop.com/tomopop-review-figuarts-zero-perona-enel-32627.phtml

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Asimo posted:

15 bucks a year for all of one piece?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sub Harrison posted:

15 bucks a year for all of one piece?

Just the latest chapters, but you retain every issue you're subscribed for, so I still have all of Black Clover available to me.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Oda may not be the "best" manga artist but his eye for action scenes is supreme. It is never hard to figure out what's going on in a fight.

Strawhats vs Pacifista in Shabondy was/is great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dazoner posted:

Oda may not be the "best" manga artist but his eye for action scenes is supreme. It is never hard to figure out what's going on in a fight.

Strawhats vs Pacifista in Shabondy was/is great.

This is partly due to his great use of white space around characters. This unfortunately fucks up the colored version due to the void of art around everyone in most scenes so that they stand out more in the black and white version.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
One Piece Gold's character designs all in one place.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Cowboy Hat Luffy still just tucks his straw hat behind him. :allears:

Franky's 'formal' wear is great, too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Would've been better if he wore the cowboy hat over his straw hat like he does with various other hats throughout the series. That's one of my favorite Luffy quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Cowboy Hat Luffy still just tucks his straw hat behind him. :allears:

Franky's 'formal' wear is great, too.

I like that the cowboy hat is also made of straw.