Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I like the X-visor as a fresh idea, but the randomness of the rest of the costume throws me a bit. It doesn't fit the X theme or any of his other past looks. I love number 12 on there, but I've always had a soft spot for well done minimalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The X visor rules. That it's not in the "X theme" is precisely the point, because this is his costume for when he's firmly broken away from the X-men having murdered Xavier - there are common elements such as the piping being similar to his 11/12 suits (which also serves as the common element across his team) and the 'classic 90s'-style X buckle, but it's supposed to be a departure because that's exactly what the story behind it is.

I like the dramatic piping a lot more than the standard "we have to hide an X on this outfit" approach, which often breaks down - I was late to respond to the thread but in instances like this:

Decius posted:

Jean Grey's new costume is pretty bad:

it looks like she put a modesty towel front and back. Either make it a full skirt with leggings below or leave the skirt part, but that thing doesn't work at all, except maybe if you make it a running gag with her putting on a new, worse, costume every book.
It gets real messy. Jean Grey's costume is a mess because the X motif forces a clashing yellow area where the 'skirt' also needs to be - and Storm's top is supposed to form an X as well but the artist couldn't be bothered doing that except halfheartedly in the first panel you see there.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ghostlight posted:

The X visor rules. That it's not in the "X theme" is precisely the point, because this is his costume for when he's firmly broken away from the X-men having murdered Xavier - there are common elements such as the piping being similar to his 11/12 suits (which also serves as the common element across his team) and the 'classic 90s'-style X buckle, but it's supposed to be a departure because that's exactly what the story behind it is.

I like the dramatic piping a lot more than the standard "we have to hide an X on this outfit" approach, which often breaks down - I was late to respond to the thread but in instances like this:

It gets real messy. Jean Grey's costume is a mess because the X motif forces a clashing yellow area where the 'skirt' also needs to be - and Storm's top is supposed to form an X as well but the artist couldn't be bothered doing that except halfheartedly in the first panel you see there.

I can appreciate the cleanliness, and breaking away from the past with his look. Though the X visor and his team still using the X-Men name don't really keep with that. I just dislike that there's no meaning to the placement of the lines. They're just there. And there's a ring around his neck for...some reason, that clashes with the square angles of all the other lines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

I like how Jean's gloves can change color. It's like she's a wizard.

I kinda hate you, because I didn't notice before and now it's all I can see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Practical Demon posted:

I just dislike that there's no meaning to the placement of the lines.

They're right angles.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

am i seriously the only one who thinks 15 looks god awful

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, why is Nightcrawler a knight now?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Knightcrawler.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's no X-visor, but I loved the Morrison-era visor. I loved how it wore over the ears like mutant sunglasses, and I loved how goddamn thin the lens was usually drawn. It looked like he was ready to fire razorblade slice-beams from his face.

But I like Morrison and his NXM is easily my favorite X-books of all time, so I'm crazy biased.

e:

Travis343 posted:

I love Scott's X-face outfit. Nobody shook up his visor design since 1963! How does that happen?

It's one of those designs that looks amazing when the artist who designs it draws it, but the wrong artist can mangle horribly, though.

Ah yes, the Simonson Archangel Effect.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 22, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I like the X-Factor "no, we're normal humans, honest" costumes. Always thought they looked decent.

It's a lot harder to find pictures of them than I had expected. :eng99:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wait, why is Nightcrawler a knight now?

Finally got his big promotion from being a pirate.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Remember how Firestorm sucks? Check out these early Jason Rusch Firestorm designs from ChrisCross:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Remember how Firestorm sucks? Check out these early Jason Rusch Firestorm designs from ChrisCross:

I'm pretty sure that Firestorm being a loving Stand would solve all problems anyone could have with the character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Futures End Firestorm design (Although I'm now noticing the silly little bits of shoulder and elbow armor.)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Squizzle posted:

Those were all really cool for different reasons, but I like these two most. The one with a halo was unique, however a little too alien for me.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like a lot of those designs but I'm kind of wondering what firestorm does as a character? Like I think I read a JLA book with him in it once. Designing a character to fit in with the role and the setting of their story is part of what makes a character design work or not, and with firestorm I'm kind of lost. Is he one of those superheroes that is only popular enough to show up in like, superhero groups? Where does he live?

It also bums me out that none of those designs really call notice to the fact that there's two people working together to control him, which seems to be kind of a unique selling point for the character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think his main thing is changing elemental properties and atomic structures and stuff. The voice in the head is the smarter science guy of the duo going "Hey, using the molecules in the air we could turn the solid pavement into sand, cushioning that lady's fall!" to the dumber guy who's actually driving the superhero.

The costume designs represent atoms and elements and stuff, I guess.
It would be fun if someone tried to redesign him with two heads.

I don't think the solo comics ever last too long.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 28, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Firestorm has managed to die twice on this season of the Flash, and a 3rd Firestorm was told he's one of the most unimportant superheroes in history.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I like a lot of those designs but I'm kind of wondering what firestorm does as a character? Like I think I read a JLA book with him in it once. Designing a character to fit in with the role and the setting of their story is part of what makes a character design work or not, and with firestorm I'm kind of lost. Is he one of those superheroes that is only popular enough to show up in like, superhero groups? Where does he live?

It also bums me out that none of those designs really call notice to the fact that there's two people working together to control him, which seems to be kind of a unique selling point for the character.

When he was originally created, Firestorm's role was to be "young novice hero" compared to established heroes like Batman, Superman, etc. -- especially since, as pointed out upthread, the active half of him was a teenager so he could be impulsive and overconfident. He's had his own solo books over the years and also been a JLA member.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Firestorm was known as the POV character during his time on the JLA. Teams often have a younger novice hero that they can explain everything to the reader through.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think the solo comics ever last too long.

His 1982 solo comic lasted 100 issues (and 8 years).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Two characters who should look extremely goofy and corny and unique: FIrestorm and Alan Scott. POOFY SLEEVES.

I like the giant design above the same way I liked the monstrous Metamorpho from Travel Foreman. Superheros should have more distinct body archetypes.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

redbackground posted:

His 1982 solo comic lasted 100 issues (and 8 years).

Completely understandable when at least 35 of those issues were written by Ostrander.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

So, bad series but I really liked what Mrs Deadpool and the Howling Commandos did with the costume for the mummy:

He's more lithe and rogueish than a lurching brute, and they wrapping-scarf, one eyed mask and gold bracelets do a lot to make the character visually distinct and break up the simple lines of the costume without sacrificing any fidelity to the classical monster. His wrappings are also one-off magical scrolls, D&D style, which is a cool/smart way to use the costume itself and riffs on the actual book of the dead preparations!

Hell of a bulge for a dead guy, as well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's why they call'em stiffs.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*huff puff huff puff* I CAME HERE AS FAST AS I COULD

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
ChrisChross mustve had a stickler for an editor cuz all they did was combine some of Chross's facial design elements (namely making Firestorm a Black Man) with Ronnies costume (sans puffy sleeves)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That's the final, eh? Shame they couldn't have chosen a more interesting costume.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

NotAnArtist posted:

That's the final, eh? Shame they couldn't have chosen a more interesting costume.
The cool floating head/shell aspects would have made it amazing. As would have changing the flame color scheme like in the notes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe it's just me but the basketball texture on everything is so played out.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I like to call them Tactical Hexagons.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Taaaaaaaactigons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McSpanky posted:

Maybe it's just me but the basketball texture on everything is so played out.

I agree they don't work for stills, but I think it usually helps make the costumes look slightly less silly in motion for live action poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're apparently getting Batman's new ongoing costume designed by Greg Capullo at the end of today's Batman #50.
I hope there's a bright yellow emblem again. I loved the short lived Batman Inc suit so much.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

^I endorse these opinions.

In the whole sweep of Batman comics, the Inc. costume is one of the very best get-ups any Batman has worn.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's always drawn with a very prominent codpiece. Like in the early issues of Inc there's a drawing with a little cameltoe seam on it too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

It's always drawn with a very prominent codpiece. Like in the early issues of Inc there's a drawing with a little cameltoe seam on it too.

What, you think Morrison was going to let anyone doubt that Bruce has huge junk? I assume that was a parenthetical direction on every page of the script.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

What, you think Morrison was going to let anyone doubt that Bruce has huge junk? I assume that was a parenthetical direction on every page of the script.

He considers comics a modern form of mythology pretty much, it'd be a shameful god you didn't give a huge wang too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know DC is embarrassed of the diaper looks Batman and Supes have been rocking for ages, but I think a better compromise would be to have the entire pants part be black instead of having the usually diapered area suddenly stick out like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BMan #50 is out and...

:shrug:
Gotta say, I think Zero Year and Jim Gordon's are much more interesting Capullo designed suits.
We'll see. I haven't read past that page yet.

• Locked thread