Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
In the bay 12 forums, people found the addresses required for Dwarf Therapist to work with 0.42.06.

All I need is dfhack so the game will automatically give jobs to my dwarves so nobody has nothing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Im curious, what do the bolts do?

code:
[INORGANIC:SKAVEN_MAGIC_WARPLIGHTNING]
	[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKAVEN_MAGIC_BOIL_TEMPLATE]
		[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:1]
	[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:SHOULDNOTEXIST]
	[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:warp lightning bolt]
	[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:warp sparks]
	[SYNDROME][SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:SKAVEN_SEER]
	[SYN_INHALED][SYN_CONTACT][SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:100:1000]
		[SYN_NAME:electrocuted by warp lightning]
		[SYN_CLASS:SKAVEN_WARP_LIGHTNING_VICTIM]
		[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
		[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:25:BP:BY_CATEGORY:HEART:ALL:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:100:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:75:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:500:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_BRUISING:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:ALL:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:50:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_BRUISING:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_TOKEN:UPPERBODY:MUSCLE:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:50:ABRUPT_START]  
		[CE_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:LUNG:ALL:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:500:ABRUPT_START]  l
		[CE_BRUISING:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:50:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:500:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:10:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:10:END:50:ABRUPT_START] 
		[CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS:SEV:50:PROB:80:RESISTABLE:START:0:END:500:ABRUPT_START]  
		[CE_PAIN:SEV:10:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:20:END:500:ABRUPT_START]  
havent really tested it much but some values need rejiggered. unconsciousness occurs too readily while the other damage ought to be higher, and the effects could overall stand to persist longer

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Inheritance just screwed me on my current fort. The first mayor was elected in the past season and something must have happened in the world because three dwarves inherited noble titles. I instantly got a king and two barons who are going to be very pissed off while I build quarters for them. :psydwarf:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

As the :airquote:game:airquote: gets more and more complex I find it less and less enjoyable. I keep coming back to play it but every time I do I spend less time enjoying and more time fighting with the interface and such.

So today I want to try again. I haven't played in well over a year though so I don't recall how poo poo works very well.

You still only mine like 1 stone every few tiles, right? And you have to convert stones to blocks to get the most use out of them? When making crafts for trade do I make crafts from raw stones or from blocks? Likewise, when making furniture you make them from blocks not stones, correct?

khy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 21, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

khy posted:

You still only mine like 1 stone every few tiles, right? And you have to convert stones to blocks to get the most use out of them? When making crafts for trade do I make crafts from raw stones or from blocks? Likewise, when making furniture you make them from blocks not stones, correct?

Every given tile has a 25% chance of leaving a boulder behind when mined out. Small clusters (gems etc.) are the exception, those always pay out.
You make the things from raw rock. Blocks are strictly construction fare that makes wells and smooth brickwork. Cobblestone walls made from unprocessed stones not only take longer to build due to the heavy materials, but they're also easy to climb.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Blocks are only used for constructing buildings (or, rarely, artifacts), furniture and items are made from raw stones. A mined tile has a set chance of dropping a stone independent of mining skill. Stones are carved into multiple blocks that weigh less than stones and fit into bins. Ore is smelted into multiple bars these days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khy posted:

As the :airquote:game:airquote: gets more and more complex I find it less and less enjoyable. I keep coming back to play it but every time I do I spend less time enjoying and more time fighting with the interface and such.

Unfirtunately I agree. Instead of fixing broken features, he's just adding more broken features that don't really interact well with the core gameplay elements.

You should gget 4 blocks for a stone. It really only matters for constructions, where walls etc. made from blocks get the smooth description, and of course you can make 4× more constructions out of a single boulder worth of blocks than from raw boulders. not to mention hauling and storing blocks is much more convenient and fast.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 22, 2016

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

PublicOpinion posted:

Blocks are only used for constructing buildings (or, rarely, artifacts), furniture and items are made from raw stones. A mined tile has a set chance of dropping a stone independent of mining skill. Stones are carved into multiple blocks that weigh less than stones and fit into bins. Ore is smelted into multiple bars these days.
It is a 25% chance of dropped stone.

khy posted:

In addition to what was said above, ores produce more bars, and gems are always extracted now.

You'll usually end up with a decent amount of stone from excavating your fortress so you don't have to worry.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I still roll ore-miser style like in older versions and frequently end up with thousands of unused bars. FPS heat death kills me long before running out of ore even conceivably becomes a factor. Meanwhile trees explode into dozens of wood and there's so many easy options for plant growing that there's no reason to go plump helmets only.

All that is to say that I feel the newer versions are way less finicky than the old versions. There's certainly more systems, but none of them are really mandatory, and overall the workload has decreased significantly.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is a Forgotten Beast running around in the caverns that I blocked off, he can't fly so all he is doing now is slaughtering troglodytes, cave toads, and cave spiders. The Beast enjoys spitting poison onto their tongues, which is hilarious to read in the battle reports. I got 3 squads of okay-ish equipped soldiers (still need metal gloves/legs for most) that are mercenaries or guys who have practiced enough to be good at smashing stuff and I'll probably send an expedition down to fight soon after I buy out the next trade caravan of everything metal they got. At this point I can just trade them a bunch of masterpiece rock mugs for everything. If I don't find a water source down in the caverns everyone who gets injured is dead, though, and I haven't seen one by the little bit of area I can see on the map. I'm pretty sure that's also why people seem to be randomly sleeping on the floor, they just get exhausted and I see the carry water command get cancelled for not having a water source. The embark screen said there was a brook around, but I haven't found anything and thought that would be like a stream, but I guess it is different.

Can I dig a pit and have it fill up with rainwater and become a lake?

I also have an egg industry and pig farm set up inside and they are surprisingly easy to make, and I don't have to worry about random raids killing all of them like the outside animals.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tars Tarkas posted:

Can I dig a pit and have it fill up with rainwater and become a lake?

Rainwater only fills/refills pre-existing murky pools.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I attempted to find the dwarf that wrote "The Wizard's Guide to Self Control" but alas, I do not have the patience to find them. I did find a lot of horses and had some fun as a Moose-man though.

Edit: if anyone wants the save I can upload it, but its for 42.01

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 22, 2016

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I've had 3 crashes in the last 10 minutes while I've been trying to set up a couple of flood gates. Is there something wonky going on with them?

Edit: Well it happened a 4th time so on the 5th try I waited a couple seconds before each key press and it didn't crash. I guess I was just hitting the keys too quickly or who knows what happened...

Edit 2: 5 more crashes at random times doing random things. I swear I can play DF for hours and not encounter a problem and then all of a sudden the game gives me the double middle finger salute and says nope you don't get to play right now.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 22, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Neurion posted:

Rainwater only fills/refills pre-existing murky pools.

How hard is it to modify in a floor that acts as a murky pool bottom?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

how do i make my hunters carry more than 25 bolts? they keep running out of ammo.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

25 is the max capacity for a quiver. Once an animal is slightly injured just have your militia go stab it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Spanish Matlock posted:

How hard is it to modify in a floor that acts as a murky pool bottom?

I... think you might be able to wrangle something with tiletypes? Not sure though, ponds have lot of moving parts under the bonnet. I identified a data structure recently that's nothing but coordinates that plot squares where pools can be "dug" when the map is first resolved or something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

I... think you might be able to wrangle something with tiletypes? Not sure though, ponds have lot of moving parts under the bonnet. I identified a data structure recently that's nothing but coordinates that plot squares where pools can be "dug" when the map is first resolved or something.

I ask because in cases where there's no accessible water I usually dig trenches between pools and use them to catch water like that.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Shibawanko posted:

I can't stand it if my fortress entrance doesn't look like a boar or dragon's face with fangs hewn from rock leading into a pillared hallway so I don't think I'm one to make fun of this post.

Have you got any pictures? I never know what to do with my fort entrances.

Aug 24, 2011

my entrances tend to just be slightly bent lines

i'm looking to kick off my metal industry so i can start plonking down traps. is melting bolts still the way to go?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

hey fuckhe friendlymen!!!

Toady One posted:

Here's an image of what we've got so far for an adventurer's camp.

The little bridge on the left is mine as well. The discerning viewer will notice through the z-window that I didn't give tops to the houses, but that can be done. Every tile takes a log as in fort mode, and the current rate is one tile per hour of work. Fortunately, you don't need to haul everything manually -- you can lay it all out on a blueprint screen and then set yourself and your companions to work (this one only took a few minutes and three in-game days to finish with my five buddies). When the work period is finished, it makes some of the constructions you've planned, in whatever order you set, watching out for collapses, according to the amount of workers and hours. We're going to do a little more with it before moving on, perhaps zoning and some furniture.

Maybe I'm just making something out of nothing, but do I smell some more spontaneous UI upgrades for Dwarf mode?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You might just be getting hopeful.

I love the idea though, being able to build yourself a house is one step to dwarf fortress survival mode. once you can woo yourself a partner. You will be able to set up a nice family life - as long as things like farming become automated like this blueprint system.

Then a Dragon will turn up, eat your significant other, and spawn a quest of epic revenge.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sounds like you could start treating Adventure Mode like a first-person version of Fortress Mode, which might make me finally want to play it!

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Oh my god. Elves brought a male and female elephant in my first caravan.

Uh, since I've never had the pleasure are elephants better War beasts or Hunting beasts?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think it takes like 10 years for a baby elephant to mature, so unless you're in for the absurdly long haul, it probably doesn't matter.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Trundel posted:

Oh my god. Elves brought a male and female elephant in my first caravan.

Uh, since I've never had the pleasure are elephants better War beasts or Hunting beasts?

Are you kidding? :getin:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

There's a tag in one of the init files that scales the amount of food needed by grazers, I'd crank that down a whole bunch because I'm not sure if elephants are still doomed to starve by default.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PublicOpinion posted:

There's a tag in one of the init files that scales the amount of food needed by grazers, I'd crank that down a whole bunch because I'm not sure if elephants are still doomed to starve by default.

Toady adjusted them, and they were right on the borderline even before the change, but it doesn't hurt to adjust it further, especially if you want a large herd.

Aug 24, 2011

i think i need to set up private bedroom/dining rooms for my specific job dwarves (e.g. grower, chef, brewer, smith) right next to their respective workshops and stockpiles

work is your life now!

will burrows help this work better?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Do dwarves still get pissed off by loud noises next to where they live (workshops, mining, engraving, etc)?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Haerc posted:

Do dwarves still get pissed off by loud noises next to where they live (workshops, mining, engraving, etc)?

Yep. Of course if you lock a workshop to only legendary whatever and the only legendary xxx lives right next door, it will never be making noise while he's trying to sleep.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It's been proven that workshops do not cause noise.

Here's what causes noise:

Digging - 8 tiles
Wood cutting - 8 tiles
Engraving - 4 tiles
Fortification carving - 4 tiles
Removing constructions - 8 tiles

Aug 24, 2011

i can't work out how happy my dwarves are anymore

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Hunter/Gatherer Mode fleshing out nicely:

Toady posted:

Here's a house. You can see the upper floor in the z-window on the right. The carpenter's workshop is outside, where I made a couple of doors, a table, a chest, a cabinet, a chair and a bed. You can now place items in unheld container buildings/items, and you can also put them on tables (where they become displayed as in dwarf mode, like my copper dagger in the image).

I hope this means that you can somehow assign items to be displayed on tables in fortress mode and he isn't just referring to how NPC shops can display their items on tables.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I just want to build my own house and live a quaint boring life with a nice garden and maybe a companion. That's my adventure mode goals.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dreggon posted:

i can't work out how happy my dwarves are anymore

In my experience, dwarves have two moods, drunken indifference and riots in the streets.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Hmm... Looks like there's headway on a .06 compatible version of dfhack. I'm wondering if I should start preparations on a new LP fort. After all, there's no rule forbidding one goon from running two LPs, right? I can be a baseball general manager and a dwarven overseer... right?

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 24, 2016

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I started with the 40_24 Starter Pack r20 because I thought it would be pretty stable but I'm averaging a crash a hour. Is this normal?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

After all, there's no rule forbidding one goon from running two RPs, right?

Have you ever heard of Grey Hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

FalloutGod posted:

I started with the 40_24 Starter Pack r20 because I thought it would be pretty stable but I'm averaging a crash a hour. Is this normal?

No, not really. When does it happen? The last crashes I remember have always been from rapid-fire world generating.