Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I gave a recruiter a .docx before and ended up being asked questions about a heavily-edited version of my own resume in an interview. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why does it even matter? I just use doc(x) because that's what we were told to use in school, so I never bothered to change that habit.

Don't just do what you're told, think about it logically. Submitting a PDF means there will be no issues with potential formatting or rendering or fonts or alignment or whatever of any kind, it won't be editable, etc. You should never submit a non-PDF résumé, like the above guy said recruiters might edit the gently caress out of it too.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

I gave a recruiter a .docx before and ended up being asked questions about a heavily-edited version of my own resume in an interview. Never again.

This. I almost didn't get my previous job because the recruiter decided to spruce up my resumé. When questioned on a thing or two, I gave an honest response. They asked me why my resumé said differently. I had to bite back my response of, essentially, "what the gently caress" because I figured I would come off poorly trying to tell them that's not what my resumé said.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not convinced I'd have been able to hold back to be honest.

I did actually end up getting the role and then a year later was asked to evaluate some applicants for new positions, at which point I dropped that recruiting company and told them exactly why. gently caress em.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i'll shitbarn a word doc resume because the mere fact you sent it in that format tells me you have terrible decision making skills. hell it even saves me having to look up your facebook profile to find documented history of bad ideas.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I wouldn't fault a SysAdmin for using a Word Document but PDFs are the gold standard.

Use PDFs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why does it even matter? I just use doc(x) because that's what we were told to use in school, so I never bothered to change that habit.

Personally, I use PDF for two reasons. It's less likely to be "improved" or "fixed" by someone else. Also, the formatting, fonts, and layout is locked in. I don't need to worry about layout or font weirdness going from Libre to MS to WordPerfect to Pages or whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

flosofl posted:

Personally, I use PDF for two reasons. It's less likely to be "improved" or "fixed" by someone else. Also, the formatting, fonts, and layout is locked in. I don't need to worry about layout or font weirdness going from Libre to MS to WordPerfect to Pages or whatever.

Agreed, I've got specific formatting with a table where I dump all the buzzwords. There's a chance if you view it with the wrong word processor its unreadable.

A PDFs is static, there's just the Adobe Reader and nothing else.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Is it possible to find part time entry level positions in IT?
I like building and working on computers physically and trouble shooting them, but I'm not sure what to look for or where to start.

I also get the feeling that there aren't any entry level positions for this. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in a large mid-west city so hopefully if there are someone can give me a name or two of what to search for in job listings.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Microwaves Mom posted:

Is it possible to find part time entry level positions in IT?
I like building and working on computers physically and trouble shooting them, but I'm not sure what to look for or where to start.

I also get the feeling that there aren't any entry level positions for this. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in a large mid-west city so hopefully if there are someone can give me a name or two of what to search for in job listings.

Help Desk is generally entry level.

You'd be hard pressed to find a job where you'd really do any PC building or hardware troubleshooting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

go3 posted:

i'll shitbarn a word doc resume because the mere fact you sent it in that format tells me you have terrible decision making skills. hell it even saves me having to look up your facebook profile to find documented history of bad ideas.

People have really strange reasons to disqualify candidates.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I thought the whole point of submitting in .docx was to have a super tiny table that contains a ridiculous amount of buzzwords to get past the computer filter. I suppose it would work with pdf too. Does that trick even still work?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't just do what you're told, think about it logically. Submitting a PDF means there will be no issues with potential formatting or rendering or fonts or alignment or whatever of any kind, it won't be editable, etc. You should never submit a non-PDF résumé, like the above guy said recruiters might edit the gently caress out of it too.

I hadn't thought about the formatting at all. Before I apply to any new jobs, I'll export the resume to .PDF and save the .docx version for future editing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
docx is your source code pdf is your compiled binary :suicide:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

H110Hawk posted:

docx is your source code pdf is your compiled binary :suicide:

Yeah I'm astonished at the > 0 number of people treating docx as an allowable format in which to send a resume. Do you want Shittina McHRperson with her 30" monitor running at 800x600 to pull up your docx in Word 2007 with all the bullet points spanning five lines instead of one and the tables all hosed up? "Well this looks terrible, and this person works with computers? S/he obviously doesn't know how to use computers".

Not to mention the editability point of view. I mean sure, you CAN edit PDFs, but it's definitely an advanced operation for most users (and most don't have full Acrobat or Nitro or whatever anyway), as opposed to "oh this is a Unix system Word doc I know this".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ugato posted:

This. I almost didn't get my previous job because the recruiter decided to spruce up my resumé. When questioned on a thing or two, I gave an honest response. They asked me why my resumé said differently. I had to bite back my response of, essentially, "what the gently caress" because I figured I would come off poorly trying to tell them that's not what my resumé said.

You don't bring 4 hard copies of your resume to every interview? Just show them the correct resume and give them a quick apology on behalf of the recruiting company who must have tripped in to their keyboard while the resume was open.

I learned that lesson the hard way after going to an interview and unexpectedly spoke with a VP who immediately told me he didn't print the resume. I only brought one copy, which the hr lady kept. Interview was pretty much over at that point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hadn't thought about the formatting at all. Before I apply to any new jobs, I'll export the resume to .PDF and save the .docx version for future editing.

Atta boy

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I have no problem changing habits, I just don't unless I have a reason.

At least I wasn't using .rtf, that has had formatting errors on the same computer as I wrote it on.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You don't bring 4 hard copies of your resume to every interview? Just show them the correct resume and give them a quick apology on behalf of the recruiting company who must have tripped in to their keyboard while the resume was open.

I learned that lesson the hard way after going to an interview and unexpectedly spoke with a VP who immediately told me he didn't print the resume. I only brought one copy, which the hr lady kept. Interview was pretty much over at that point.

Well, I do now. I'm usually very prepared. It was my first time having an interview through a recruiter, though, so I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully they were already impressed and the changes were minor enough that a "oh, sorry about that" was sufficient.

The recruiter actually fessed up a couple months later when I was on the interviewer team and the HR guy who initially questioned me wanted to get a jab in about it - "that might have been me" - it was actually kind of a nice moment.

So now I can laugh at it. But yeah I won't take that chance again because if I lost a job opportunity because of someone else I'd be livid.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

People have really strange reasons to disqualify candidates.

it beats trying to figure out which candidate is the idiot by looking at certifications and experience

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Go for super geek Cred and write it in latex

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

At first I wasn't thinking about the text editor, despite the context, and thought that would be more of a super kink cred.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

adorai posted:

At first I wasn't thinking about the text editor, despite the context, and thought that would be more of a super kink cred.

Probably depends where he's applying if that might work better.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

PBS posted:

Help Desk is generally entry level.

You'd be hard pressed to find a job where you'd really do any PC building or hardware troubleshooting.

Bummer on the pc maint / building. I'll shoot out some help desk resumes. Any general advice of things to put on the resume?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I won't sit here and tell you NOT to send as PDF, but I'm going to parrot the same ol' line: Build a relationship with a recruiter (or three) that you trust.

I ask for resumes in Word format because I edit resumes all day. Not for content (unless you write it), but the vast majority of resumes I see have some form of typo, formatting, or grammatical error I need to fix. Example: periods after bullet points - has to be after every one or after none of them. Almost everyone makes this mistake and I have more than a few clients that pay attention to it...

Also removing contact info from the resume is a must for agencies, some clients even require it. It's in both ours and your best interest (in most cases) if the company runs all contact through us for scheduling and quality control. It's my job to ensure you put your best foot forward. I can't tell you how many really poor thank you letters I've intercepted and sent back for editing.

On the flip side, the formatting stuff that Potato Alley brought up is valid, but I'm not a huge fan of tables or crazy formatting anyway and normally advise against it.

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate and presenting a few cases where a recruiter may request a .doc.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Virigoth posted:

If you love the tech side so much I'd think hard about it. Managing people can be a huge chunk of time. The IT here likes to think that good technical people make good managers which isn't always the case. I know my boss regrets picking up 2 direct reports because it cut his tech side by like 40%

Kashuno posted:

Yeah my boss is sad that he never really gets to mess with the technical stuff anymore and instead just has to worry about meetings and overseeing those of us who do get the fun technical stuff

The flip side of this is that you need to recognize when it's inappropriate for you to stay involved in the technical side. I've had several bosses who had more than enough pure managerial work to occupy them full time. Instead they slack on those duties (you know, "unimportant stuff" like conducting one on ones and performance reviews) to make time to randomly parachute into technical situations with no context. They're inevitably out of date on IT best practices because they've been on the management track for a while, so their input and solutions are actively harmful. It's the worst possible situation where they're both failing as a manager, and doubling as a bad individual contributor. Don't do that.

It's one thing if you're a Team Lead, where you're still actually an individual contributor who also happens to set direction and mentor the team. It's another if you're a straight up manager. At that point it's negligent and harmful to keep dicking around with the day-to-day stuff instead of your actual job which is to manage humans. If that's not fun for you, you shouldn't have taken the job.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I usually ask the recruiter if they are going to make changes (after giving them my latest copy), and if they are, ask if they can show it to me before sending it out. Just means there should be no surprises.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jaegerx posted:

Did that. Still exported to PDF :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I generally send a PDF unless asked otherwise. At the very least, it ensures the formatting won't get hosed.

I've had some places demand a word doc, though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've seen recruiters ask for a Word doc and then shoehorn their own company's header into it and it fucks up the formatting real bad. gently caress recruiters.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I have no problem changing habits, I just don't unless I have a reason.

At least I wasn't using .rtf, that has had formatting errors on the same computer as I wrote it on.

I save a re-formatted version of my resume in .txt for those stupid upload forms that require you to paste a resume in.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why are we debating PDF vs Word when any HR department worth their salt is going to make me re-enter my resume line by line in their application questionnaire anyway?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I've seen recruiters ask for a Word doc and then shoehorn their own company's header into it and it fucks up the formatting real bad. gently caress recruiters.

Yeah, I get what Dark Helmut is saying I guess, but I would never ever ever send recruiters a .doc résumé. If there's a mistake, they can either tell me, or let it stand and I can suffer the consequences.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why are we debating PDF vs Word when any HR department worth their salt is going to make me re-enter my resume line by line in their application questionnaire anyway?

Don't forget the physical paper application you'll still have to fill out in TYOOL 2016, too!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I like when they let you upload your resume and then make you fill out a questionnaire with the same information. Bonus points if it's all drop downs and you can't copy/paste.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I won't sit here and tell you NOT to send as PDF, but I'm going to parrot the same ol' line: Build a relationship with a recruiter (or three) that you trust.

What area are you recruiting in again?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
^^^ I'm in Richmond, VA, sometimes recruiting for DC/Norfolk too, but my company has offices in a number of other cities ^^^

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I get what Dark Helmut is saying I guess, but I would never ever ever send recruiters a .doc résumé. If there's a mistake, they can either tell me, or let it stand and I can suffer the consequences.

As always it comes down to having a good relationship. My only goal in editing your resume is to make you NOT look stupid, and encompassed in that is NOT changing your content or whacking out your formatting. If someone jacks your resume just to get a logo on it, you're right anthonypants - they are an rear end in a top hat. I can't tell you how many hours of my life I've spent trying to make resumes pretty again.

But again to play devil's advocate, my admin has a copy of Acrobat and I'll have her convert your precious .pdf to .doc in a heartbeat if I need so I imagine lovely agencies can do the same.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Does anyone have a link to any guides or best practices when cabling racks? I've always tried to use common sense and cable things up neatly but it never ends up as perfect as I want it to.

Stuff like should you be putting switches at the top of racks? Where should the patch panels be located and so on.

This subject is a bit hard to google because you end up with a bunch of cable management vendors all pimping their "systems" with very little substance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dark Helmut posted:

I ask for resumes in Word format because I edit resumes all day. Not for content (unless you write it), but the vast majority of resumes I see have some form of typo, formatting, or grammatical error I need to fix. Example: periods after bullet points - has to be after every one or after none of them. Almost everyone makes this mistake and I have more than a few clients that pay attention to it...

Also removing contact info from the resume is a must for agencies, some clients even require it. It's in both ours and your best interest (in most cases) if the company runs all contact through us for scheduling and quality control. It's my job to ensure you put your best foot forward. I can't tell you how many really poor thank you letters I've intercepted and sent back for editing.

On the flip side, the formatting stuff that Potato Alley brought up is valid, but I'm not a huge fan of tables or crazy formatting anyway and normally advise against it.

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate and presenting a few cases where a recruiter may request a .doc.

I actually had this same thing come up today. I had a recruiter call me and asked specifically for a Word document version. So I sent her the docx. It's Teksystems, who had a good reputation at my last job, two of the Tier 2 / System Administrators were from there. I really like the recruiter. Unless she's lying through her teeth (which I would find out almost immediately) she seems like one of the few good ones I have experience with. The other person that contacted me and didn't specifically ask, I sent a .pdf.

Also, I'm trying not to get super hyped, but the Teksystems recruiter wants to submit me for a NOC job at $28.50 hourly on contract. The contract would end almost exactly when I want to move, so that's perfect. My last job I was making $17/hr as T1 helpdesk. There I would get to configure routers and get Cisco experience. There is occasional night shift and weekend work, but that's WFH and if there's overtime I'd be getting something like $42.75/hour. A year ago I was making $15.40 an hour in a dead end field technician job while working a 12 day on, 2 day off schedule. This would be an amazing turnaround.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've never had a good results when working with teksystems either as interviewer or candidate

But this would be their UK branch I get to deal with