Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BGrifter posted:

Chris Christie should unsuspend his campaign just to attend the next debate and crush Rubio again.

Or better yet, join the Trump campaign as his official debate hype man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

:yikes:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Subvisual Haze posted:

So where exactly does Rubio beat Trump? Trump does well in the deep south, but he does even better in the northeast and midwest (based on Michigan and Massachusetts polls we've seen) where the establishment candidates usually cash in. Where is this magical place that Rubio actually wins a primary let alone cobbles together a majority of delegates? The west coast and Florida?

The ultimate thrust of everything has been that as the race consolidates, Trump will struggle to pick up extra voters. I.e. the people who are going to vote for Trump are already voting for him, and others will go to other places. Right now, there has not been a race that discourages that line of thinking. Trump's 33% in SC was almost exactly what he was polling at there in October. Undecideds broke for Rubio and Cruz.

If Trump gets stronger and his numbers get better as the dust settles after Carson drops out on Wednesday, then I think this has to be rethought.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Rubio's most likely hope isn't to win a majority. His hope is for Trump to fall short of a raw majority, then the RNC convinces the not-Trumps at the convention to unite around Rubio on subsequent ballots.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Or better yet, join the Trump campaign as his official debate hype man.

Christie with a giant clock hanging around his neck and glittery gold sunglasses standing behind Trump going "Yeahhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyy" might be the only way this campaign could get any more awesome.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lycus posted:

Rubio's most likely hope isn't to win a majority. His hope is for Trump to fall short of a raw majority, then the RNC convinces the not-Trumps at the convention to unite around Rubio on subsequent ballots.

I feel like that would be shooting themselves in the foot and Trump would run third party and assure a Hillary presidency. If Trump is really that close, they honestly need to back him.

Donald Trump
Jan 31, 2016

by exmarx

Schnorkles posted:

The ultimate thrust of everything has been that as the race consolidates, Trump will struggle to pick up extra voters. I.e. the people who are going to vote for Trump are already voting for him, and others will go to other places. Right now, there has not been a race that discourages that line of thinking. Trump's 33% in SC was almost exactly what he was polling at there in October. Undecideds broke for Rubio and Cruz.

If Trump gets stronger and his numbers get better as the dust settles after Carson drops out on Wednesday, then I think this has to be rethought.

16%? :smug:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Harlock posted:

I feel like that would be shooting themselves in the foot and Trump would run third party and assure a Hillary presidency.

Maybe that's the whole point hmmmmm

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Harlock posted:

I feel like that would be shooting themselves in the foot and Trump would run third party and assure a Hillary presidency. If Trump is really that close, they honestly need to back him.

True, but counterpoint: a Trump candidacy is likely to do more long term harm to the Republican party's efforts in Congress and state legislatures than losing the presidency might.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Harlock posted:

if trump is leading in the delegates/popular vote going into the convention , and if he sniffs funny business going on (i.e. plans to get Rubio as #1), trump is going to cause a gigantic shitstorm beyond anything we've seen before

also just lol at republicans pushing Rubio as their nominee. he doesn't seem very good at all.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Harold Stassen posted:

Trump: Let's
Cruz: Not
Rubio: Do
Kasich: This
Carson: Again

Come on, Trump is Again, it is in his slogan.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Primaries are all about momentum, and right now Rubio's campaign is looking like Guilliani's from 2008. You can't keep losing early states and expect any interest/enthusiasm to remain with your campaign. It's not enough to be "not-Trump", your candidate has to have drive too.

I think the nomination is probably already over by this point, and Trump winning a majority of states on Super Tuesday will make this conclusion pretty inescapable (to everyone who is not Harry from 538). The primaries will keep going on, and remain individually competitive, but Trump will have built up a significant enough lead in delegates that he'll be able to run the clock out, just like Obama did to Hillary in 2008.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

pretty smart move for Kasich to stay in IMHO. Basically by being a stick in the mud he's causing both Rubio and Trump to potentially make moves for him to be VP.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/431724/will-marco-rubio-offer-kasich-vice-presidential-slot

Makes you wonder why others didn't stick it out (i.e. Christie, even Jeb!) even though they didn't have a ton of money.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rocks posted:

pretty smart move for Kasich to stay in IMHO. Basically by being a stick in the mud he's causing both Rubio and Trump to potentially make moves for him to be VP.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/431724/will-marco-rubio-offer-kasich-vice-presidential-slot

Makes you wonder why others didn't stick it out (i.e. Christie, even Jeb!) even though they didn't have a ton of money.

Kasich is doing well enough to get delegates, especially in the northeast and the midwest. Christie and Jeb! weren't.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i want polls for super tuesday

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Rocks posted:

i want polls for super tuesday

1. Trump

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Kasich is doing well enough to get delegates, especially in the northeast and the midwest. Christie and Jeb! weren't.

i don't know about that. according to RCP, Kasich is 4th in MA, 4th in Michigan, and 4th in Virginia. Seems more like a spoiler for Rubio than an actual contender.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Subvisual Haze posted:

So where exactly does Rubio beat Trump? Trump does well in the deep south, but he does even better in the northeast and midwest (based on Michigan and Massachusetts polls we've seen) where the establishment candidates usually cash in. Where is this magical place that Rubio actually wins a primary let alone cobbles together a majority of delegates? The west coast and Florida?

The thinking is that Rubio does well in the West/South West and liberal non-Rust belt states.

E: You know... Cruz or Rubio could win tomorrow. NV is a gongshow caucus, anything can happen.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

This is why we segregate the threads. If we hadn't this thread would be full of :qq:ing Bernie fans like I'm sure the other thread is.

Luckily we now have a gif of Hillary Clinton sodomizing the Reddit alien, courtesy of the Taiwanese animators we can use if that spreads here.

Maybe if Clinton beats Trump they can have Clinton sodomize the Stormfront eagle.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

This really feels like Star Citizen.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
No matter how well or badly Trump does during the primary, you are going to see and hear from him for a long time.

There will be candidates over the next few cycles all trying to be Trump 2.0. Most will fail. Others won't. The whole time, Trump will be talking about how he could have made America Great Again on FOX.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rocks posted:

i don't know about that. according to RCP, Kasich is 4th in MA, 4th in Michigan, and 4th in Virginia. Seems more like a spoiler for Rubio than an actual contender.

MA has a 5% delegate threshhold - the only recent poll has Kasich 3rd with 13%
Virginia is proportional with no threshold.

Michigan does look like he might be a spoiler. Kasich, Rubio, and Cruz are all hovering just under the 15% threshold in recent polling.

The big prize is Ohio, though. That's a winner-take-all state with 66 delegates, and Kasich might be the only candidate who can beat Trump. He stays in until at least then.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Patter Song posted:

Luckily we now have a gif of Hillary Clinton sodomizing the Reddit alien, courtesy of the Taiwanese animators we can use if that spreads here.

What? Where?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mike12345 posted:

What? Where?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol excellent

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

MA has a 5% delegate threshhold - the only recent poll has Kasich 3rd with 13%
Virginia is proportional with no threshold.

Michigan does look like he might be a spoiler. Kasich, Rubio, and Cruz are all hovering just under the 15% threshold in recent polling.

The big prize is Ohio, though. That's a winner-take-all state with 66 delegates, and Kasich might be the only candidate who can beat Trump. He stays in until at least then.
I agree with your last assessment, unless Kasich cuts some deal with Rubio to bow out and get a potential VP slot...

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

at some points both threads will have to merge again, and thats when we will see some truly legendary slapfights

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

:perfect:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

at some points both threads will have to merge again, and thats when we will see some truly legendary slapfights

Hillary/Bernie vs Trump would create flamewars of a power level SA hasn't seen since the early 00s. Any other combination would be fairly low energy.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

just read this

lmao

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
firing your hispanic maid because she voted hillary

#justberniethings

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

god and to think there will be a year of this kind of internet pain from every side

put it in my vein

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Brannock posted:

Hillary/Bernie vs Trump would create flamewars of a power level SA hasn't seen since the early 00s. Any other combination would be fairly low energy.

I for one look forward to the descent into lf-style shitposting anarchy

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

its gonna be hillary vs trump which doesnt have the amazing drama levels of bernie vs trump but it will have a level of nastiness never seen before

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Rocks posted:

I agree with your last assessment, unless Kasich cuts some deal with Rubio to bow out and get a potential VP slot...

A VP slot does not cure presidential ambition.

No candidate does that unless they have to.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!

Rocks posted:

He already sold his soul for Nikki Haley. She said previously that she agreed that Rubio is way too inexperienced for the job. Then she hopped on the bandwagon right before SC. Makes you think......

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFnCwVqbWs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I bet Bush is at least a little happy he can wear glasses again and not have everything be so blurry

it's the little things

• Locked thread