Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does Eerza have a belly tat that says Titania?

Spiderdrake posted:

I actually appreciate the fact that the usual generic mysterious genius ninja disease was just cured and done away with instead of page after page "cough cough...NO KARADA...!!!" or whatever the proper spelling is

Maybe it'll be back but I think Fairy Tail just gonna crush all these dorks then friendship dunk Acnologia Galvatron style.

Nah, Acnologia is totally getting an anger punch. Zerif could still get a friendship fist though.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I was expecting something like Laxus finally metabolizes the dumb magic barrier particles and then proceeds to roast the other guy with anti-magic lighting bolts. Conning the enemy into curing your magic plot cancer is actually a more creative solution.

Since he was filled with anti-magic particles I figured he was just going to eat the etherion laser and they'd cancel each other out since etherion is just pure magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I liked the male fan service in this chapter.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly if bullshit magical cancer has to get cured, tricking a guy into curing it is a pretty good way to go about it.

Yea, this might be one of the more memorable moments in Fairy Tail because it's actually kind of creative and while it's dumb as poo poo, it's the kind of fun dumb I can get behind. I still have no idea what the red lightning is actually supposed to be or how he achieved it on the other hand.

jiffypop45 posted:

I liked the male fan service in this chapter.

I believe the term is manservice.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tsob posted:

Yea, this might be one of the more memorable moments in Fairy Tail because it's actually kind of creative and while it's dumb as poo poo, it's the kind of fun dumb I can get behind. I still have no idea what the red lightning is actually supposed to be or how he achieved it on the other hand.

I believe the term is manservice.

Isn't it blood.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That's what I thought too. Mercury from his blood i'm assuming.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does Mercury have the same ties to alchemical magic in Asian history that it does in Western history? If so, Mercurial Lightning would essentially be magic lightning.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Is his special lightning due to Yuriy's possession by the jade? It was implied the red lightning had something to do with Yuriy so this is my best guess. I don't remember all of his abilities though, but he did use some form of lightning magic.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Does Mercury have the same ties to alchemical magic in Asian history that it does in Western history? If so, Mercurial Lightning would essentially be magic lightning.

Fairy tail actually takes place in brittania i believe

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I assumed it was a literal interpretation of "bloodline" lightning, with the references to his family and ancestor, and sort of chuckled at it.

But I also never read the spin-offs.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

I assumed it was a literal interpretation of "bloodline" lightning, with the references to his family and ancestor, and sort of chuckled at it.

But I also never read the spin-offs.

The only one worth reading is Zero, but I have a soft spot for Mavis since she's so adorable. Ice Trail is a total snore except for the chapter where Gildarts shows up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all the rest of the spin off mangas aren't written by Mashima. I read two chapters of one of them, but it was just about the girls of Fairy Tail so you can imagine how that was playing out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://www.shencomics.com/archives/627144

Ultear's back.

SO SHOCKING.

HOLY poo poo I DID NOT EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN.

THE GAME HAS BEEN UTTERLY CHANGED.

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS UPSIDE DOWN NOW.

HOLY poo poo MASHIMA YOU GODDAMN GENIUS.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Well the time stop stuff could have gone in a lot less restrained of a direction so I'm fairly proud of him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not unexpected that Ultear came back, and young again at that but somehow it still manages to disappoint me despite the fact I should have known it'd happen. Oh well. The single panel of Erza and samurai gal cutting the two knights instantly was still fun.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
how much longer are they gonna tease us about BRADMAN, it's all I want from this manga anymore

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait I thought Lucy was with Erza and the rest, not still next to Natsu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is some speculation that Neinheart is going to be Simon. Which if true with Ultear having just come back, everything of consequence in the entire series will have been undone.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Which one is Simon again? The only character with a loose plot end I can think of is that puppet thing from the grand magic games that escaped after Raven Tail got caught.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Simoom posted:

Which one is Simon again? The only character with a loose plot end I can think of is that puppet thing from the grand magic games that escaped after Raven Tail got caught.

Ezra's friend, also known as the only guy to actually die.

Kagura's brother.

... I think?

EDIT: I was right.

quote:

Simon (シモン Shimon) was part of Team Jellal, a group of former slave children who attempted to rebuild the Tower of Heaven, also known as the R-System. He was also the older brother of Kagura.[1] He died to protect Erza Scarlet from Jellal Fernandes.[2]

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ezra's friend, also known as the only guy to actually die.

Kagura's brother.

... I think?

EDIT: I was right.

To be fair, Igneel and Lucy's dad died too.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Also some random named villains in various arcs have probably died.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

I'm fine with randomly deciding to be done with arcs, and it always turning out that death was actually on his lunch break. But don't you dare do all this silly poo poo and not bring back the dragons. They're too rad to stay dead.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
So does Dimaria still have a clothes shredding sword, or was she posing during a slash, freezing time, running over to her opponent and ripping their clothes, then running back, striking the same pose and resuming time? Respect either way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simoom posted:

So does Dimaria still have a clothes shredding sword, or was she posing during a slash, freezing time, running over to her opponent and ripping their clothes, then running back, striking the same pose and resuming time? Respect either way.

The later because she's either the least imaginative chronowizard or one of the smartest regular wizards. Everyone knows that the good guys can't display their trump power up until they know how your power works after all.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Gyges posted:

The later because she's either the least imaginative chronowizard or one of the smartest regular wizards. Everyone knows that the good guys can't display their trump power up until they know how your power works after all.

Natsu did one shot that one thing from the Avatar arc. Not sure if it explained its powers or not. I'm being really vague because I can't remember much from that arc despite the fact that it just happened.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

kohon posted:

I'm being really vague because I can't remember much from that arc despite the fact that it just happened.
This is what most of Fairy Tail is like to me.

What was even the point of that arc anyway? I think that was Zeref Cult #2602878 wasn't it? The one that got built up for a couple chapters and then got completely wrecked to the last man in like 20 seconds?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

What was even the point of that arc anyway? I think that was Zeref Cult #2602878 wasn't it? The one that got built up for a couple chapters and then got completely wrecked to the last man in like 20 seconds?

You can't have a powerful villain appear when everyone's getting back together!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Remember how One Piece had Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji chump the Pacifistas they had such trouble with last time?

This is the same thing. They even brought back a tough dude from the Exam arc, the guy who fought against Gildarts, to prove this.

Only FT is not OP and instead much much worse.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only cool thing was Gajeel.

Gajeel is always the coolest one in the room whenever he appears.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The only cool thing was Gajeel.

Gajeel is always the coolest one in the room whenever he appears.

No that's Gray

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
The difference between OP and FT is that Oda actually sent the straw hats to places that would make them stronger, and they each had to go through trials as well (lol Sanji). Mashima just threw in a one year gap where Natsu went off somewhere and everyone else just joined another guild. There's not really a good explanation as to why everyone got stronger. (Lucy became a journalist, but can now somehow use the star dress forms)

As for this week's chapter, I won't knock Mashima, but that's mostly because I really like Ultear. And I like Dimaria (?) despite her fanservice plugs. Her appearance somewhat reminds me of Leone from Akame ga Kill so that makes me somewhat partial. I'm looking forward to a chrono mage battle.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

No that's Gray

We're gonna have to fight this over Erg.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

We're gonna have to fight this over Erg.

It's fine as long as we can agree that Natsu's the hottest

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

It's fine as long as we can agree that Natsu's the hottest

This is not the time for puns Erg.

We all know that Gajeel is the most metal cast member of Fairy Tail.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This is not the time for puns Erg.

We all know that Gajeel is the most metal cast member of Fairy Tail.

Legit coolest is Erza tho, sorry

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Legit coolest is Erza tho, sorry

Counterpoint: Ezra whenever Jellal is around is a major meh.

Ezra when she was soloing those 100 beasts during the Tournament was hella cool though.

But it's Gajeel -> Laxus -> Pantherlily -> I don't care after this

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Laxus is very electrifying.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Counterpoint: Ezra whenever Jellal is around is a major meh.

Ezra when she was soloing those 100 beasts during the Tournament was hella cool though.

But it's Gajeel -> Laxus -> Pantherlily -> I don't care after this

I will agree with this ranking, discounting Erza because Jellal is just the worst and makes things worse via association

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
This last chapter was just one exciting "who?" after another.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

It's actually kind of interesting; Mashima's shounen manga (this and Rave Master) are the only shounen manga where I can't remember half of the things that have happened. It's like he enchanted the pages the comic is printed on to imbue the reader with conditional Alzheimer's.

If you ask me about the plots of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, HxH, or any other shounen manga, I can more or less recall the sequence of all major events. But I couldn't tell you anything about Fairy Tail other than "Natsu met Lucy and then Natsu fought Laxus at some point and then I think they were on an island where someone fought the time magic lady and then later all the dragons came out of a portal and Igneel died." I think it's because the comic doesn't really seem to have much "momentum" to its narrative or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still remember a good deal of Rave Master, a far superior work to Fairy Tail even though it didn't have Gajeel Redfox.

• Locked thread