Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I want a game with lots of dialogue but the only option available to you is the word "shitter" with a question mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yeah, when people say the protagonist of SOMA talks a lot, that's pretty much exclusively when someone's around to talk to, and there are long stretches where Simon's alone. He's not just shouting OH GOD, OH MAN. OH GOD, OH MAN." every time an enemy shows up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Seriously though the only things Simon says (heh) are GEEZ LOUISE and that yell Goofy does

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Simon's issue is that even his freakouts are pretty lackluster as far as showing emotion goes. They definately could have done the audio better and made him sound less distant and tinny, which may have helped some as well.

SOMA, being what it was and what it dealt with, couldn't really work with a faceless protagonist. They just needed to put a bit more effort into really giving Simon some force

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

Seriously though the only things Simon says (heh) are GEEZ LOUISE and that yell Goofy does

Finally, a horror game that doesn't take itself seriously.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I played both SOMA and Layers of Fear recently and didn't bother to finish either because SOMA was boring and Layers of Fear is the same lovely set of jumpscares x100.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

oldpainless posted:

I want a game where the first thing your character says is that he really has to take a poo poo and every five minutes or so, independent of anything happening in the game, he farts or wonders where a toilet is or repeats that he really has to poo poo

The rest of the game should be deathly serious

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I want a game protagonist who's a rhino

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Simon doesn't speak but when he's attacked it's the Wilhelm scream looped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I finished playing Life is Strange recently on the suggestion of my girlfriend. The final episode turned out way, way better than most of the rest of the game and had a lot of serious and good horror elements in the time travel nightmare/universe breaking. I honestly wish the rest of the game had the same horror elements through all of it instead of a "Pretty Little Liars with time travel" plot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The problem with SOMA's VA isn't that he's present so much that he lacks affect. He's more Troll 2 than Alien. Speaking of which, A:I's VA wasn't awesome but it was a hell of a lot better than SOMA's

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The problem with SOMA's VA isn't that he's present so much that he lacks affect. He's more Troll 2 than Alien. Speaking of which, A:I's VA wasn't awesome but it was a hell of a lot better than SOMA's

Whoever played Ripley was kind of flat when speaking normally, but when she needed to convey being scared out of her mind she nailed it perfectly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

1stGear posted:

Whoever played Ripley was kind of flat when speaking normally, but when she needed to convey being scared out of her mind she nailed it perfectly.

Sigourney Weaver is her name and she is awesome

VVV Ah I misread that and thought he was talking about the movie, doigh

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 21, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AMANDA Ripley.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The thing about SOMA is that it's really more of a walking simulator with some creepy story elements than an outright horror game. Most of the monster encounters feel like more of an afterthought than anything else, and the game is at its best during the talky parts. Simon does come off as kind of annoying at first, but it's really not that big of a deal except for one part at the end where he just comes off as kind of dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I finished playing Life is Strange recently on the suggestion of my girlfriend. The final episode turned out way, way better than most of the rest of the game and had a lot of serious and good horror elements in the time travel nightmare/universe breaking. I honestly wish the rest of the game had the same horror elements through all of it instead of a "Pretty Little Liars with time travel" plot.

I just finished episode 4, already knowing a little of what Episode 5's about, but I think the entire package is perfectly set up. The slow descent to darkness is necessary and Jesus was the beginning of Ep4 a gut punch I pulled the plug and sat there for 5 minutes because the game makes no indication that control is handed back to you.

But Life is Strange gets a lot right in the psychological thriller department. Everything feels off the further you get in and there were a lot of moments where I just felt gross. It feels even grosser to abuse time travel to tell people what you want them to hear. By the conceit of you playing with this video game-y mechanic you're being really inhuman in a story that's trying to present itself as genuine.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Oxxidation posted:

He's probably the most irritating horror protagonist I've ever dealt with, and probably makes my top 10 list of worst protagonists period, if I had one of those.

I'm uniquely biased against that game, though, very much an outlier.

I'm unsure if your unique bias refers to something specific, but in general I'm with you on Simon = terrible, irritating protagonist. The "walking sim" stuff I can take or leave and that's going to be dependent on the protagonist or player character, so despite some good things in the gameplay SOMA will always be a pass for me.

I've not gotten to the full release of Layers of Fear yet. Speaking of awful protagonists is he still a delusional, unrepentant creep?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I just finished episode 4, already knowing a little of what Episode 5's about, but I think the entire package is perfectly set up. The slow descent to darkness is necessary and Jesus was the beginning of Ep4 a gut punch I pulled the plug and sat there for 5 minutes because the game makes no indication that control is handed back to you.

But Life is Strange gets a lot right in the psychological thriller department. Everything feels off the further you get in and there were a lot of moments where I just felt gross. It feels even grosser to abuse time travel to tell people what you want them to hear. By the conceit of you playing with this video game-y mechanic you're being really inhuman in a story that's trying to present itself as genuine.

I think my biggest problem with Life is Strange is that Max took her rewind powers in stride to an unusual degree. After discovering her powers and saving Chloe for the first time, she just kinda...goes about her business. The apocalyptic storm is obviously a big plot point, but it spends a lot of the game sidetracked in favor of solving a more mundane disappearance and dealing with high school drama. As much as I enjoyed Max and Chloe's interactions, I feel like the game could have used more introspection of time travel and its implications further than what it already has, and to have more moments like the spoilered-out part from episode 5 I mentioned.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Older game, but I have to say that Siren: Blood Curse has the -weirdest- save system that I've ever seen. It autosaves based on where you -should- be in the level, not where you actually are.

For an example, I had to find a gun, sound a siren, and shoot a guy as he ran up the stairs. I got the key before I found a gun, so when I hit the siren I wasn't able to kill the guy with just a cleaver. When the game loaded, I found myself back where I found the key, but sporting a shiny new hunting rifle and surrounded by several dead Shibito. I was -supposed- to have killed them and found the gun, so of course that's where I loaded into.

I certainly don't mind in that situation, but in other cases I would load into a point and lose my awesome weapon and get a crappy poker or nothing at all in replacement. It's really bizarre.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was a goon here who had worked on Dead Space that talked a lot about things that had been cut or heavily altered in Dead Space 3 but I can't seem to find them or their posts, does anyone remember who this is?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a goon here who had worked on Dead Space that talked a lot about things that had been cut or heavily altered in Dead Space 3 but I can't seem to find them or their posts, does anyone remember who this is?

Don't remember who, but I remember some things about it. The biggest problem they had was that the Xbox 360 and PS3 just didn't have the memory for the kind of game they wanted, which was co-op with Ellie and Isaac. They just didn't have the memory for a separate Ellie skeleton with all the death animations, and they couldn't afford to make the biggest action-horror property at the time a PC exclusive. So they relegated Ellie to a techie/damsel in distress and used a co-op partner with an identical body type to Isaac.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
EP5 of Life Is Strange features some of the most effective psychological horror I've seen in a game for a long time. Not to spoil anything, but examining all the little details in each of the weirder moments of that episode leads to tons of creepy little touches that can make your skin crawl.

There's very little on the way of jumpscares and gore, and some of the events are a little goofy, but otherwise they cram a lot of very interesting and very disturbing moments into the game without it seeming heavy handed. I was watching my girlfriend play and still getting second hand chills.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I want a game protagonist who's a rhino

i bet you could make a pretty effective horror game where you're' an animal trying to not get murdered by hunters

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

That would be MortuusLupus and he posted in the Dead Space 3 thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Songbearer posted:

EP5 of Life Is Strange features some of the most effective psychological horror I've seen in a game for a long time. Not to spoil anything, but examining all the little details in each of the weirder moments of that episode leads to tons of creepy little touches that can make your skin crawl.

There's very little on the way of jumpscares and gore, and some of the events are a little goofy, but otherwise they cram a lot of very interesting and very disturbing moments into the game without it seeming heavy handed. I was watching my girlfriend play and still getting second hand chills.

Just for anyone who doesn't care about the plot and wants to see it, here's a link to the whole sequence. Obviously it's the biggest loving spoiler in the world to click on it, so only watch this if you don't give a poo poo about having basically the whole plot spoiled for you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How "scary" is Life is Strange? Besides that episode 5 sequence, is it very scary?

I get really riled up with tense moments and jumpscares so am asking. I thought it was a Telltales like game and the scenes I've seen from the trailers don't imply horror at all.

For reference, I absolutely can't play say...Silent Hill, or System Shock 2. Can stand the level of The Walking Dead and Until Dawn, but those aren't "too" horror if you get my drift. Dead Space 1 also makes me jump, whereas Dead Space 3 is eh. Even the original Thief makes me just quit games out of fear.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's absolutely not scary in the slightest, it's mostly the story game equivalent of an indie SF movie, though it slips into thriller territory towards the end and there's some surreal dream sequence stuff occasionally too. I would never say it was a horror game at all tbh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Life is Strange has some psychological horror stuff (and one thing that's a bit of a jump scare) in Episode 5, but other than that it's very benign. It's more of a drama mystery/thriller story that occasionally dips into horror.

It's a neat story if you can get past the hella dialogue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If you can survive the walking dead and until dawn you can survive this easily. It's a really good game and most of that dark stuff is in chp 5.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just keep in mind that the game is hipster city. Even the awesome techo song playing at a party later on sounds like someone transplanted the lyrics of an acoustic indie song onto a nightclub soundtrack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Life is Strange has some psychological horror stuff (and one thing that's a bit of a jump scare) in Episode 5, but other than that it's very benign. It's more of a drama mystery/thriller story that occasionally dips into horror.

It's a neat story if you can get past the hella dialogue.

That said its a good take on high school drama and a lovely college town. It's real bleak and all the characters are portrayed as aloof and uncaring. And when you get to really despise some of them they reveal a very human nature that makes you go "okay, this person loving sucks but I get them."

Not horror but there are moments that made me feel uneasy. The big party in episode 4 actually made me queasy, I had to rush through that part.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Older game, but I have to say that Siren: Blood Curse has the -weirdest- save system that I've ever seen. It autosaves based on where you -should- be in the level, not where you actually are.

For an example, I had to find a gun, sound a siren, and shoot a guy as he ran up the stairs. I got the key before I found a gun, so when I hit the siren I wasn't able to kill the guy with just a cleaver. When the game loaded, I found myself back where I found the key, but sporting a shiny new hunting rifle and surrounded by several dead Shibito. I was -supposed- to have killed them and found the gun, so of course that's where I loaded into.

I certainly don't mind in that situation, but in other cases I would load into a point and lose my awesome weapon and get a crappy poker or nothing at all in replacement. It's really bizarre.

There's a lot of weird UI stuff in this game, which I guess isn't surprising since it's pretty early in the PS3's life. I always think about replaying it and then remember that I'm going to have to queue up a bunch of different downloads using the godawful PSN store and I lose interest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god yeah, it was the first 'big' downloadable only title so instead of putting up all 12 GB in one go they decided to break it into like six blocks you have to download separately.

Try playing the original Forbidden Siren some time, now there's an experience :unsmigghh:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh god yeah, it was the first 'big' downloadable only title so instead of putting up all 12 GB in one go they decided to break it into like six blocks you have to download separately.

Try playing the original Forbidden Siren some time, now there's an experience :unsmigghh:

" Why am I putting a damp towel in a freezer?"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'll say this for the first Siren, it managed to mimic a surreal fever nightmare pretty drat well, and the jankiness only added to it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Black August posted:

I'll say this for the first Siren, it managed to mimic a surreal fever nightmare pretty drat well, and the jankiness only added to it.

Yeah. Jim Sterling said that jankiness often adds to the surreal nature of horror games unintentionally.

Original Siren is also unique in that it had tips in the back of its manual...vital tips that were necessary for unlocking all the alternate scenarios and timelines that let you get the true ending. Usually you wouldn't do that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure some of them were necessary just for carrying on, I remember getting completely stuck at one point because I had to do one of the alternate scenarios just to continue the game.
It was a while ago though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

chitoryu12 posted:

Just keep in mind that the game is hipster city. Even the awesome techo song playing at a party later on sounds like someone transplanted the lyrics of an acoustic indie song onto a nightclub soundtrack.

That's the point, they're trying to recreate the high school experience for twenty-somethings. And it's very effective.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's that song. It's pretty hella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUudCz02bb4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Any games with good synth soundtracks ala Halloween or Phantasm? With all the emphasis on nostalgia in games I find it odd that seemingly no one takes that approach in emulating 60s-80s horror music, so I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong in assuming it hasn't been done much if at all.