Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Someone at PGI really seems to over-value the c-bill currency.

I do remember when 19 was giving out gifts around Christmas where his response was to look at the numbers printed on the "free stuff" tickets and then shrug at the hilariously low numbers and offer about 3-4 times as much to the winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

19 how do you stand working there

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bolow posted:

Christ that guy :cripes:

Also good news from the top secret WoL jabber

*secret stuff*

Ah, that's so perfect. What a beautiful mini-drama this has been!

I love the fact that someone needed to "consult CS properly" to figure out how colossally bad an idea the repo maneuver was. I don't think you have to be a trained professional to hazard a reasonable guess as to how well that's going to go over with the customers.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 22, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Drythe posted:

Quite possibly there are holes in the walls where he just bangs his head to forget all the stupidity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Drythe posted:

Friday Fundays where they spend all the pre-order money for the week on hookers and blow.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Olesh posted:

Here's a straight up superior version. UM-R63. Now you can go 91.8kph before speed tweak, and more engine speed means faster turning/torso twist too.

You may also consider swapping the medium laser for a pair of smalls, or swap the AC/10 for an LB/10X and throw on more ammo/a second medium laser.

Some day, you'll put on the three MGs and realize that since machineguns absolutely wreck internal structure, you can do incredible amounts of work by sticking with the big mechs and spraying down anyone with open torsos. Something like this works surprisingly well and gives you the option to carefully stick your head out and do something at mid range.

Oh I know that's better. That's just the closest I can come to what the guy was running in that little bastard.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bolow posted:

Replacing one of the Streak SRM6's on the Streakcrow with a TAG a good idea or bad idea?

bad idea. Swap for the stormcrow Prime's head and put your tag there. To be sure, I think that TAG is mandatory for an effective streakcrow, just don't give up a launcher for it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Repo Man posted:

Thunderbolt-5SS can do some laser boating for you. If it's CW, put an LPL on there, otherwise unless you end up on Polar or Alpine, MPL do some good work. Just check your heat management.

sebmojo posted:

nope ur doin gods work

that's a tight build that's a horrific monster up close.

Well, I got some positive responses when I asked about this, so here's the actual build I'm thinking of buying:

TDR-5SS WUBWUB

Does it look good?

Alright, so thanks to everybody who answered my "why aren't clans OP with such better stats?" question, I've read and thought about all your answers and I can see them making sense. Before I drop a few millions C-Bills, though, I'd like to bring up a concrete example:

EBJ-B

This is a Clan mech of equivalent tonnage, with no quirks at all. Whereas the Thunderbolt gets, to recap: +15 structure both side torsos, -15% cooldown / heat gen, +25% total MPL range (and a 10% missile cooldown bonus, which isn't getting used).

If I build this EBJ with the ONLY objective of replicating the TDR as closely as possible, and no other concern, I end up with a mech that is:

• About 10% faster. Though, it uses a Clan XL engine instead of a IS standard, so let's call that even.
  • Has a better alpha by 6 damage
  • Has a superior range by 33% (after accounting for IS quirks)
  • Well, but IS mechs are supposed to be better at brawling, right? Nope! The Jaguar has better sustained DPS than the Thunderbolt, even accounting for quirks.
    • EBJ: 5.74 sustained DPS
    • TDR: 4.67 sustained DPS before quirks. Since it has a 15% reduction in both cooldown and heat generation, the result is easy to compute: 4.67 / (1 - 0.15) = 5.49 sustained DPS

• But wait! You might notice that, after matching (and arguably surpassing) the TDR, I was still left with one slot and 4 free tons! As it happens, in addition to all of the above, the Jaguar can mount an additional C-ERLL, gaining a bonus tool for long-range poking. Even if it never ever uses it, it's still more powerful than the Thunderbolt.

In exchange for all that, the IS mech has the side torso structure bonuses and better pulse laser duration (0.60s instead of 0.85s).

Also, the Thunderbolt looks like a brick wall with a huge "SHOOT ME HERE" torso, while the Ebon Jaguar is pretty squat.

So, here's what I'm asking: can you show me a 65-tonner IS mech that is a better CQC laser brawler than this totally random Ebon Jaguar? Surely that should be easy?

(I swear, I'm not being bullheaded. I just keep seeing these utterly insane Clan builds being posted around (seriously, a 24-SRM volley from a motherfucking Jenner?? :wtc:), and when everybody shrugs and goes "oh well, IS mechs have better turn rates, lol" it makes me feel like either I'm the crazy one or I'm surrounded by crazy people who have succumbed to years and years of :pgi: bullshit. Please at least tell me everybody still agrees that ghost heat is loving retarded.)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

Ah, that's so perfect. What a beautiful mini-drama this has been!

I love the fact that someone needed to "consult CS properly" to figure out how colossally bad an idea the repo maneuver was. I don't think you have to be a trained professional to hazard a reasonable guess as to how well that's going to go over with the customers.

can you unquote me, don't want to ruin a good thing

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

can you unquote me, don't want to ruin a good thing

Just delete it off of imgur.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Just delete it off of imgur.

yeah i finally figured it out, wasn't logged in so I had to rummage through my history

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I await with baited breath the day something happens and PGI's first response isn't the dumbest one possible.

I think if I can find a way to tie my very existence into this wait, I could become immortal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

to be fair

goons probably deserve to be in debtor's prison imo

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So would this be considered Ghost Refunds?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I can't believe idiots gave PGI $200+ for the free cbills......

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Raged posted:

I can't believe idiots gave PGI $200+ for the free cbills......

To be fair $200 for 260 million cbills and 48,000 MC is a way better deal than the Legendary Founders pack :v:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
PGI should've rolled with the mistake and racked in all the :smaug:, man.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

(I swear, I'm not being bullheaded. I just keep seeing these utterly insane Clan builds being posted around (seriously, a 24-SRM volley from a motherfucking Jenner?? :wtc:), and when everybody shrugs and goes "oh well, IS mechs have better turn rates, lol" it makes me feel like either I'm the crazy one or I'm surrounded by crazy people who have succumbed to years and years of :pgi: bullshit. Please at least tell me everybody still agrees that ghost heat is loving retarded.)

Part of the problem here, is that if you don't have ghost heat, you'll have 12 small pulse laser Stormcrows with a 72 damage alpha strike that doesn't shut down after firing...and can do it again in 2.25 seconds. Or Direwolves with 4 large pulse lasers (to start with) nailing you from 5-6 hundred away.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Okay, so I've steered clear of AC/2s until recently because everyone says not to use them. But the more I've been using them lately, the more I'm falling in love with them. Could someone explain to me why they're bad? They're not UAC/5s, sure, but assuming that you don't use them in a situation where you need to be twisting (that is, disregarding the facetime problem), their stats seem pretty good compared to other ballistics. Is the facetime that big of a turnoff for most players or am I missing some detail? And you can just keep walking the shells onto the enemy CT when they twist at close range, or wherever you want to hit; It's been pretty easy to chew off the side of an enemy carrying something like an AC/20.

I mean, it seems pretty great to have a weapon with gauss velocity that, when stagger-fired, makes your target freak out from all the impacts while doing better damage per second than the shorter-ranged options for way less space used and slightly less tonnage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The facetime requirement to get the most out of them really hurts, especially in CW or higher tier pub matches. Being able to twist between shots adds a lot to your survivability.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Sard posted:

Okay, so I've steered clear of AC/2s until recently because everyone says not to use them. But the more I've been using them lately, the more I'm falling in love with them. Could someone explain to me why they're bad? They're not UAC/5s, sure, but assuming that you don't use them in a situation where you need to be twisting (that is, disregarding the facetime problem), their stats seem pretty good compared to other ballistics. Is the facetime that big of a turnoff for most players or am I missing some detail? And you can just keep walking the shells onto the enemy CT when they twist at close range, or wherever you want to hit; It's been pretty easy to chew off the side of an enemy carrying something like an AC/20.

I mean, it seems pretty great to have a weapon with gauss velocity that, when stagger-fired, makes your target freak out from all the impacts while doing better damage per second than the shorter-ranged options for way less space used and slightly less tonnage.

If they don't freak out, most mechs will be able to wreck something with AC/2's in short order, so long as they're within range of their primary weaponry.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sard posted:

What do you do if your target doesn't freak out and can still accurately put fire on you at range?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sard posted:

they're very bad without quirks because they simply don't do enough damage and require you to stare at the enemy without twisting. Basically you're asking for your torso to be blown out

if you want a good AC/2 'mech, do this, from metamechs: BJ-1 Dakkadakkadakka

.46 second cooldown and 900m optimum range with 475 shots, high mounts, and some speed. If you stay a ways away from the enemy you'll mostly be safe

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
They do very little damage and if you just keep shooting back at whoever is shooting you with AC2's you will kill them before they can hurt you very much as long as you keep your cool and don't overheat.

Quit telling the newbies to play bad builds guys. We always end up with a bunch of newbies trying to play joke builds. At least put in a warning that it's just a special snowflake for funsies and not something you want to use to earn cbills in.

Maybe a warning in the OP to tell the newbies that certain weapons are just plain terrible would be a good idea.

Newbies do not use the following weapons until you are rolling in cash and just want to screw around:

AC2 - Only scares low tier players
LBX of any kind - Spreads damage so much that it's worthless, again only scares bads
Streak2's - Just plain useless
Machine Guns - Only does damage to open sections late in the match, does nothing to armor, sometimes a filler weapon on bad mechs.
Clan UAC/AC20 - Fires so many shots that it spreads the damage too much.
Gauss rifle - Unless in a gaussvomit build the recharge time makes DPS extremely low, hard to use and takes a lot of practice.
PPC/ERPPC - Extremely heat inefficient compared to all other energy weapons, even on the specially quirked PPC mechs.
LRMS - More complicated why they suck but the reason is already in the OP.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 22, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Find me something more fun than fire control and a bunch of ac2s

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Drythe posted:

Probably a mauler with 4-5 AC/5's.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I await with baited breath the day something happens and PGI's first response isn't the dumbest one possible.

I think if I can find a way to tie my very existence into this wait, I could become immortal.

Apparently this got a lot of people who wouldn't have otherwise bothered to buy the $50 pack *just to see if it was true*.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh, got locked fast.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/222844-account-virtually-disabled-through-sweet-deal-with-mc-2/

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Probably a mauler with 4-5 AC/5's.

That's just more effective, not more fun :colbert:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
They should do a server rollback to this morning, and give the proper MC/C-bills advertised.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

God look at all those polishers.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A.o.D. posted:

What do you do if your target doesn't freak out and can still accurately put fire on you at range?

I've just kept shooting them. If we're both at range- say, anything over 400- and I'm not being hit by more than one guy, I've come out on top. This is tier 3, though. With the damage output being constant, I don't suffer as much as if, say, I fired something frontloaded and they absorbed it with a twist. It runs cooler than the LPL and does more damage at range while doing about the same up close. Maybe I'm just lucking out and meeting a ton of other bads. I wouldn't dream of using it in T1 group play with coordinated brawler pushes smashing through, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as I was lead to believe.

That Blackjack looks pretty fun.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Well, I got some positive responses when I asked about this, so here's the actual build I'm thinking of buying:

TDR-5SS WUBWUB

Does it look good?

Alright, so thanks to everybody who answered my "why aren't clans OP with such better stats?" question, I've read and thought about all your answers and I can see them making sense. Before I drop a few millions C-Bills, though, I'd like to bring up a concrete example:

EBJ-B

This is a Clan mech of equivalent tonnage, with no quirks at all. Whereas the Thunderbolt gets, to recap: +15 structure both side torsos, -15% cooldown / heat gen, +25% total MPL range (and a 10% missile cooldown bonus, which isn't getting used).

If I build this EBJ with the ONLY objective of replicating the TDR as closely as possible, and no other concern, I end up with a mech that is:

• About 10% faster. Though, it uses a Clan XL engine instead of a IS standard, so let's call that even.
  • Has a better alpha by 6 damage
  • Has a superior range by 33% (after accounting for IS quirks)
  • Well, but IS mechs are supposed to be better at brawling, right? Nope! The Jaguar has better sustained DPS than the Thunderbolt, even accounting for quirks.
    • EBJ: 5.74 sustained DPS
    • TDR: 4.67 sustained DPS before quirks. Since it has a 15% reduction in both cooldown and heat generation, the result is easy to compute: 4.67 / (1 - 0.15) = 5.49 sustained DPS

• But wait! You might notice that, after matching (and arguably surpassing) the TDR, I was still left with one slot and 4 free tons! As it happens, in addition to all of the above, the Jaguar can mount an additional C-ERLL, gaining a bonus tool for long-range poking. Even if it never ever uses it, it's still more powerful than the Thunderbolt.

In exchange for all that, the IS mech has the side torso structure bonuses and better pulse laser duration (0.60s instead of 0.85s).

Also, the Thunderbolt looks like a brick wall with a huge "SHOOT ME HERE" torso, while the Ebon Jaguar is pretty squat.

So, here's what I'm asking: can you show me a 65-tonner IS mech that is a better CQC laser brawler than this totally random Ebon Jaguar? Surely that should be easy?

With the caveat that I only play IS mechs so can't speak from experience with both:

The 0.6s beam duration vs. 0.85s probably matters more than you're giving it credit for. Relatively small differences in beam duration make a significant difference in how effectively you can place your damage.

There are also differences between Clan and IS DHS that sometimes matter; IS sinks have a higher heat capacity and Clan dissipate faster, so IS can potentially front-load damage more effectively. Using your example loadouts, both have roughly equal capacity in the sinks (EBJ slightly less than TDR). The TDR generates 23.8 heat per alpha, the EBJ 36. The TDR should be able to get more alphas off before shutdown, but then the EBJ can sustain a bit more DPS. If the TDR kills or severely maims its target before it redlines, though, advantage TDR.

That said, this:

quote:

is a pretty big wrong assumption. There's not any reason it should be easy; the IS doesn't have a specialist that's better than the Clans for every role at every tonnage. If they did wouldn't they be the "OP" ones?

Laser vomit is kind of what Clans do best and the EBJ is a fairly ideal candidate for it so it's not surprising that it looks strong on paper. It lucks out in having all the good upgrades and a nice engine, no locked jumpjets or anything... stuff that you can change in an IS mech but not a Clan OmniMech. 65 tons might not be the right tonnage to try to out-MPL the Clans I guess, I don't know. This is all very theorycrafty anyway; you'd have to try them both and see how they feel in the game to really come to a determination on it.

All of that is kind of beside the point, though. I can only speak definitively for myself, but I think most people would agree that the Clans are still stronger than the IS on average, and by a decent margin. It's just not as bad as it looks at first glance, so there's a natural tendency in the thread to tamp down the excitement when people run in with hair on fire yelling about how OP the clans are.

On ghost heat: Yes, it's dumb, but so is boating a billion of one weapon type. :shrug: PGI should have made different fundamental design decisions at the outset to combat boating, but they didn't, so here we are. I don't know that removing ghost heat would make the game particularly better and there's almost no chance of them radically changing anything else at this point. One thing they could do, though, is add a bunch of UI support to make it obvious how it works and what the impacts are instead of having it be such a nebulous, easy-to-miss "your poo poo is hotter now!" warning.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 22, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bentai posted:

God look at all those polishers.

the crew who are all about punishing individuals for a company's screwups are always fun

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Drythe posted:

Fire control and UAC5's, make it refire at 1/3rd or 1/4.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 22, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

the crew who are all about punishing individuals for a company's screwups are always fun

Like it's one thing to actually exploit something - say, some stupid thing that gives you an extra 100k cbills every match for something weird but easily replicated.

It's another when the company just drops a shitload of cash onto your lap.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Would it really hurt them long-term for that fuckup to just happen

Like what do you lose

Fix it so no one else gets it but this response is the dumbest one

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like it's one thing to actually exploit something - say, some stupid thing that gives you an extra 100k cbills every match for something weird but easily replicated.

It's another when the company just drops a shitload of cash onto your lap.

but don't you understand, it says in the ToS that it's your (the user's) responsibility to verify any and all dealings with :pgi:

:a2m:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Volunteer community moderators are a great idea. Always have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

ZenVulgarity posted:

Would it really hurt them long-term for that fuckup to just happen

Like what do you lose

Fix it so no one else gets it but this response is the dumbest one

It's incredibly simple. None of the idiots who still give PGI money will stop giving them money over this.

However, some of those idiots will actually now give them even more money to get out of that hole.

It's genius.

• Locked thread