Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ironclad is amazing, it just lacks some polish and features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shuka posted:

What Omni said, vanilla will keep you entertained for hours and once you feel like you've seen all there is to see SS+ and nex will really keep you occupied. Some forums goers really like some of the other overhauls like Ironclad but I haven't tried em.

EDit - also you da man shaolin fuckfiend nice work bruh

Double Edit - Is emp damage only for ship systems or does it also affect shields? I only ask because I use phase lances as like an Alpha strike to break shields/overload targets and I was wondering if removing the emp damage means less dmg to shields.

Only ship systems and weapons.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Gave one of the auldest BRDY ships a makeover. The new destroyer basically supplants the Desdinova in most fleets, making it less common. Statwise, I gave it a ton more inertia and mass, so it actually feels like a giant brick being pushed around by giant engines. Plus other changes. I like it a lot.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Gave one of the auldest BRDY ships a makeover. The new destroyer basically supplants the Desdinova in most fleets, making it less common. Statwise, I gave it a ton more inertia and mass, so it actually feels like a giant brick being pushed around by giant engines. Plus other changes. I like it a lot.

It looks excellent, but i'll kind of miss the prow feelers.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is a good game that I cannot play. I've tried like three times now and every time I just feel like the controls are all wrong. I realize it takes some time to adapt, but apparently I can't.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In depends on what you're having trouble with, but you might want to try the "invert shift to strafe to cursor" or whatever option in the settings

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
also press and hold shift

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Play arcade mode over and over until you can circle strafe around ships with ease. That's how I learned the controls.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah it is a bit strange at first, as most top-down view shooters have absolute movement on WASD with free aiming on the mouse, while this game only offers movement relative to ship facing

which is the way it has to be done, due to locational effects and not allowing turning to be instant

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

strafe-to-mouse is the only way to play, don't pilot "asteroids" style unless you are micromanaging your omnishield!

Ceebees posted:

It looks excellent, but i'll kind of miss the prow feelers.

mutilation!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

victrix posted:

This is a good game that I cannot play. I've tried like three times now and every time I just feel like the controls are all wrong. I realize it takes some time to adapt, but apparently I can't.

Most don't play strictly with WASD controls. I do. However, the default control scheme is "wrong" to convert all your existing FPS skill to StarSector skill. In the options menu, try swapping Q and E with A and D so WASD controls the movement of your ship and Q and E control the orientation. If you don't want to be hitting your keyboard faster than Vika playing Master of Puppets you could use strafe-to-cursor like a big lame-o or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've tried that, I think what I'm looking for is straightforward screen relative movement keys. No change to the inertial/facing movement, just the ways the keys react when you press them (ie, up is always up, right is always right, ship front tracks your cursor, rather than ship relative strafing/movement). Not something the game does though, unless I missed an option somewhere.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds like a super awkward control scheme for this type of game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes I feel like it would be better if the camera rotated with my ship, for ships of medium manœuvrability.

Frigates and most destroyers work well in shift mode, capital ships I usually turn manually, but sometimes there are ships where neither is great.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Internet Explorer posted:

That sounds like a super awkward control scheme for this type of game.

It's the classic twin-stick shooter control scheme. It works really well when all your thrusters are equally strong, and gets progressively less optimal as your main thrusters get stronger relative to the others.

There's a game called Reassembly on steam that has all 3 schemes (keyboard turn and both follow cursor modes) that you can switch between at will during gameplay, which is awesome and something that would be incredibly handy in Starsector.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

It's the classic twin-stick shooter control scheme. It works really well when all your thrusters are equally strong, and gets progressively less optimal as your main thrusters get stronger relative to the others.

There's a game called Reassembly on steam that has all 3 schemes (keyboard turn and both follow cursor modes) that you can switch between at will during gameplay, which is awesome and something that would be incredibly handy in Starsector.

I'm incapable of playing that game without making something massively oversized and then getting mad at the point cap. Or trying to propel my ship with guns as that one race with the spinal mount cannons made from stackable pieces.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 18, 2016

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/701842397009805312

:siren: last big batch of changes before the release. :siren:

Does this mean we'll see a 1.0 release in the next 4 to 6 months?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Zmej posted:

Does this mean we'll see a 1.0 release in the next 4 to 6 months?

No. He means before the release of 0.7.2a.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd still ballpark Starsector 1.0 five years before Star Citizen's release tho.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Well the thing is Starsector is a video game whereas Star Citizen is a Joke

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Will not keep being aggressive if the player turns their transponder on and turns out to be hostile and stronger

There goes easy farming for officers :sigh:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

To be honest the inertia of most ships feels wrong to me. Most ships above destroyer size don't look like they should be able to turn as fast as they do. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking bollocks

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Does more mass equal more damage to enemies from collisions, more damage to itself from collisions, or both?

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Friendly Humour posted:

To be honest the inertia of most ships feels wrong to me. Most ships above destroyer size don't look like they should be able to turn as fast as they do. I dunno, maybe I'm just talking bollocks

I agree with that in the context of ships with a lot of hullmods and or player / officer skills. I feel the game makes the most "sense" at level 0 for many reasons.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Network Pesci posted:

Does more mass equal more damage to enemies from collisions, more damage to itself from collisions, or both?

Both.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Equal and opposite reactions.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Man more range and flux cost is probably the opposite of what the LR PD lasers needed. They're already so long ranged they're wasting flux shooting at ships instead of missiles and more range and flux just makes that hurt more. On the other hand, the first (?) vanilla HE beam weapon is coming.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Are there any mods that fiddle with the availability of weapons on markets? I find it frustrating when I buy a ship and then can't equip it fully with any default loadout because the local market is missing like half of the weapon types it's supposed to have.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Kersch posted:

Are there any mods that fiddle with the availability of weapons on markets? I find it frustrating when I buy a ship and then can't equip it fully with any default loadout because the local market is missing like half of the weapon types it's supposed to have.

Sadly no, but if you get a mod that includes the omnifactory you can just sell it the ships or weapons you want it to make (for free) and then wait a few days for it to build a bunch of copies that you can then buy.
Honestly, I hope vanilla implements some sort of market search or item commission system at some point. Probably when industry skills get in.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Man more range and flux cost is probably the opposite of what the LR PD lasers needed. They're already so long ranged they're wasting flux shooting at ships instead of missiles and more range and flux just makes that hurt more. On the other hand, the first (?) vanilla HE beam weapon is coming.

They really need a third auto-fire setting that prevents a weapon from targeting ships or something.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

MesoTroniK posted:

I agree with that in the context of ships with a lot of hullmods and or player / officer skills. I feel the game makes the most "sense" at level 0 for many reasons.

That seems to be the general consensus, and Alex agrees. He's already planning to done down the impact of skills as part of a general update to them down the line. He just doesn't want to spend time tuning them now when they're already in for a ton of work down the road.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I just got this. God drat this game is dope, even for an alpha.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

robotsinmyhead posted:

I just got this. God drat this game is dope, even for an alpha.

Wait till you try mods.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Platystemon posted:

Wait till you try mods.

I watched that modding tutorial from the OP, but the JRE 64bit wouldn't take on my computer. It's gonna have to wait till I upgrade cause this thing is falling apart.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

0.7.2a released.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Volturn finally sells large quantities of Volturnian lobster.

:supaburn:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Strumpie posted:

Volturn finally sells large quantities of Volturnian lobster.

:supaburn:
:captainpop:

my versimilitude...maintained...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Please post your sickest Starsector.gifs, I want them for a post in another forum.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Bombing Run

Rapid Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I've just started a new game with the scarab starting option, it's really good... In case you were wondering, the temporal shell ship ability really is bullet time.