Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

Well, I could. But it's tough to keep steps documented without a proper thread. That way people can stop asking me to re-seat my sim card, etc.

I have a case number. I could call and just demand higher level support but I'm not sure that'll do much at this point.

It's certainly worth a try becuase higher level support needs to know if this is a recurring error or limited to the 5x (could be just the 5x wish you had a 6p to test) They could release an android update that fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's certainly worth a try becuase higher level support needs to know if this is a recurring error or limited to the 5x (could be just the 5x wish you had a 6p to test) They could release an android update that fixes it.

Ill be chasing this down more in the upcoming week here.

However, I should note that I do have service at home. Cuz I got da wifi. And can make calls. But, when this event happens, it will drop the call. It's intermittent. Something core in the sw causes everything to screech to a halt if the cell portion is negotiating with the tower, or trying to.

No 6ps in the house. Just 5xs. Four of em!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If I had Cell connection flipping between 1x and dropping out I would just enable airplane mode at home and turn wifi on (I do this even with good cell coverage). The battery hit alone from trying to stay connected to poor cell coverage would be reason enough for me.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Sure. But theres a bigger problem at hand - that being the event will cause apps to outright crash, including the phone app. I wanna call it phone.exe but idk if thats right... anyhow it's not something that should occur.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I totally agree and I wasn't trying to excuse the problem, just offer a potential solution.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

Ill be chasing this down more in the upcoming week here.

However, I should note that I do have service at home. Cuz I got da wifi. And can make calls. But, when this event happens, it will drop the call. It's intermittent. Something core in the sw causes everything to screech to a halt if the cell portion is negotiating with the tower, or trying to.

No 6ps in the house. Just 5xs. Four of em!

Oh, interesting, I was under the impression that the reason the crash was occurring was because you had no cell service at home only wifi.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

withoutclass posted:

I totally agree and I wasn't trying to excuse the problem, just offer a potential solution.

Nono, that's not bad. I didn't think calls were even possible in airplane mode - but I just tested, that works!

I'll probably forget to turn airplane mode off when I leave the house, so I'll still chase this down.

I was more just venting about how wacky the first tier email techsupp is. The constant handoff is bizarre. Someone asks you a question, you email back - first person you spoke to, gone forever. Wacky.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was under the impression that airplane mode turned off all radio signals including wifi. Am I mistaken?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DizzyBum posted:

I was under the impression that airplane mode turned off all radio signals including wifi. Am I mistaken?

You can have wifi on in airplane mode. That's how you use wifi on an airplane.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ranter posted:

You can have wifi on in airplane mode. That's how you use wifi on an airplane.

I've also never been on an airplane that didn't cost :10bux: to use wifi on, so I guess I just never noticed this! :downs:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Spending $10 for internet on a 5> hour flight is really worth it. At least on Lufthansa; their internet wasn't terribly slow.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

Spending $10 for internet on a 5> hour flight is really worth it. At least on Lufthansa; their internet wasn't terribly slow.

Yeah, for some reason internet on int'l flights is much more reasonably price. GoGo is just exorbitant for a few hours. That being said, you can usually access a few sites for free, so sometimes I log in just to screw around.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are east<>west coast flights internet terrible? I only did it once, but I was business class so unsure if I got QoS. Also it was business so just expensed it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife's new 5X arrived a few days ago. Awesome phone!

She still hasn't activated Fi service, though. Not sure what she's waiting for because I want to get rid of our $115 T-Mobile bill already! :argh:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Using the Messenger app is causing text messages of a certain length to get chopped up into multiple messages and sometimes received by the person I am texting in random order. Specifically, my girlfriend's iPhone with Verizon service is having this happen when I text her, but I'm sure other friends have had it as well and I just don't know about it. Before I switched to Google fi in January my 5X was on Verizon's network and there was no problem with my texts using Messenger.

Any help fixing this?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm not defending the quality of service, it's annoying to be sure, but SMS messages have always had character length limits, and I've had that issue where multiple texts sent at almost the same time are received in different order before with other carriers. Were you on wifi or a carrier when it happened? I don't think its the app doing it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I get that constantly on t mobile and sprint. You may want to consider something like whatsapp or kik, which have minimal data usage provided you don't go crazy with some of the non text features.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Or consider using more txt spk 2 cut dwn on chrctrs ll

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
For a number of reasons I have also switched to using other apps (in my case, Facebook messenger, which in spite of having its own drawbacks and general "Facebook LOL" crap is what most of my family/friends use, because we are a bunch of old shits).

SMS hasn't been much of a problem for me on Fi, but generally speaking you'll get a better experience using whatever app (Whatsapp/Facebook/etc.) your friends use. It's also better for things like video chat (one reason I switched is because my wife has an iPhone and the Facebook messenger app is actually pretty decent now for cross-platform video chat, in spite of its battery killing tendencies on Android).

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

Nono, that's not bad. I didn't think calls were even possible in airplane mode - but I just tested, that works!

I'll probably forget to turn airplane mode off when I leave the house, so I'll still chase this down.

I was more just venting about how wacky the first tier email techsupp is. The constant handoff is bizarre. Someone asks you a question, you email back - first person you spoke to, gone forever. Wacky.

Have you guys gone farther down the line to narrowing the problem yet?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have seen two people at work this last week with Nexus phones. Being Fi customers is like being in the most boring secret club, but we can be snobs together about spending less than $30 on our cell service :respek:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I got a 6P on Fi and it is beyond epic. Took like 20 minutes to port from GVoice / move all my poo poo with the migration app from my Nexus 4. Blessed Sundar has rewarded me for my faith.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Hughmoris posted:

For those who have had Fi for a while, what are your monthly bills looking like?

2 gigs of data per month and my bill is running $60 and change only because I 0% financed the 6P. I typically get about $3 back since I only really use 1.7gigs/mo. My Verizon bill prior to this was $90 and change, and that wasn't even with a new phone. When Verizon changed their plans around, the equivalent plan still would have cost me $70+, again, without a new phone. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hughmoris posted:

Between $40 and $50, less now that I get Wi-Fi at work.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Hitting about $40/mo which is just a little bit less than I was paying with Straight Talk (I'm also way more conservative with my data now though).

Honestly, the 45/mo for 5gigs was a better deal with Straight Talk and I might switch back.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Mine are running right at $35 a month, I tend to use less than a gig when I'm not travelling. Honestly, my choice wasn't about saving money month to month but about having a much better experience when travelling abroad than what I got with AT&T. Oh, and international calling at reasonable rates.

Once you start paying for data, you tend to notice a bit more when there are free WiFi spots around. I never bothered since AT&T was so fast and it was a use-it-or-lose-it allotment.

I think net it'll end up being cheaper for me overall, with a handful of months being more expensive.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Mine has been around 32$ last few months.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Darkpriest667 posted:

Have you guys gone farther down the line to narrowing the problem yet?

I asked to have the issue moved up the ranks. Rep said it was, haven't heard anything since. I feel like the rep is stonewalling me, to be honest. She's the one that called me jose, not my name. I'll follow up with a phone call today. I have a case number. That should get things moving.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Mine is comparable to my T-Mobile bill- around $100 for both my wife and I, but we financed the phones, so once they're paid off I expect around $80 for both of us.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Right at $25 :jiggled:

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I've averaged $32.50 over the past four months. WiFi at work and on the subway, so I really only use data when I'm out somewhere that has no hotspot.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Hughmoris posted:

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 24, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Your sister is cute.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ranter posted:

Your sister is cute.

That's my girlfriend I just forgot to swipe away before I screenshotted. Sorry to disappoint you.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

That's my girlfriend

We know.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Another great of using Google Fi. drat this is win.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Smythe posted:

Another great of using Google Fi. drat this is win.

If you have wifi at work you'll rarely go over 2 GB a month I think. I use directions and pandora a lot or else my bill would probably be 30 a month.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Darkpriest667 posted:

If you have wifi at work you'll rarely go over 2 GB a month I think. I use directions and pandora a lot or else my bill would probably be 30 a month.

Depends on the use-case. I go right around 2GB every month just from being places. Stores, car service, restaurant, bar, someone else's house. Normally I'd use a lot more too, but I've stopped streaming music in my car which I used to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I use around 1 GB a month. I have no wifi at work. I just browse SA, Reddit, Facebook, twitter and random websites while crapping.

My wife has wifi at home and school and uses around .6 or .7 GB a month.

We modified our habits for sure, but it hasn't been an awful experience, and considering I'm saving over 100 bucks a month versus AT&T, I can deal with the hiccups.

I still may go back to cricket, but I'm not entirely sure. I like the idea of having a phone that travels internationally well, and I like being able to text from the PC.