Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

smertrioslol posted:

So I haven't played in years and all my cards were tragically lost. A bunch of guys from work started playing, and the consensus is we are gonna play legacy, but I don't think anyone is planning on getting all the super expensive cards. Are there any fun casual, relatively cheap options out there for me? Is now a good time to get all standard cards to play casually with them and maybe take a crack at competitive for the first time?

I guess what I'm asking is should I buy a booster box or individual cards? I'm confident if I bought individual cards it would be unfun real fast for my casual friends, but I'm not sure if standard is playable buying just random packs based on the last few pages of this thread.

If you're gonna play casually, just don't play any real format and just make it so you can't play more than 4 of anything. If some rear end in a top hat shows up with 4 of a BS card you can informally ban that card amongst yourselves.

I would think EDH sounds about right though. It *can* be expensive, but I'd guess the majority of EDH deck lists boil down to "pile of cards owned by person playing deck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Pauper. Play pauper. You get to play old and "fun" cards but it isn't wallet smashingly expensive.http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

This is great until you actually want to play and realize that no one plays pauper.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

This is great until you actually want to play and realize that no one plays pauper.

Do what I did: build 6 decks so people can borrow decks then still never play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/IdeallyDumb/status/701806653537181697

I hope you didn't like deck tech's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

And Nick Miller still has a job?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Modern 73%
FNM 62%
Prerelease 41%
Gameday 37%

Should've never conceded every match at Gameday Journey Into Nyx!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

And Nick Miller still has a job?

He knows where the bodies are buried I guess....

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
To win at modern at your LGS, pick a decent deck that it relatively fixed and learn it very well. I recommend fish for this purpose.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/701890260398010368

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Did conspiracy have any reprints for other formats or is it just its own separate game?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Roshambo posted:

Did conspiracy have any reprints for other formats or is it just its own separate game?

It had both reprints and new good cards like Council's Judgment or Dirk Fable

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I mean, only one card has ever gotten Emergency Banned for real and there was that one time where Aaron wrote an article a year too late saying "btw we're banning everything in Ravager Affinity but wait another month for us to actually do it!"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roshambo posted:

The set was multiplayer draft focused. Cards reprinted in Conspiracy are legal in any formats they're legal in. If they're new they legal in vintage and legacy (and formats that use those lists, like EDH) unless they're specifically banned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

loving. Brilliant. I doubt the GP attendance drop off will be too big but the stats are going to be hilarious to watch.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Roshambo posted:

I think the big reprints were Brainstorm and Swords to Plowshares

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm glad he did this.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm constantly amazed that not only do people think Maro's comics are funny, but some seem to believe that they're brilliant.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Brownhat posted:

Stifle was nice to see, but maybe a bit "smaller".

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
exploration, misdirection, and stifle were all in conspiracy

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Brownhat posted:

Exploration, Sifle, Misdirection, and Pernicious Deed were also big reprints.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

[quote="
PATRICK CHAPIN"]
Look, I don't know what you want me to say.

Modern is borked.

Sure, some formats are messed up, but not like this one. Without exaggeration, we're talking historical levels of messed up. A broken deck can dominate a weekend. The Eldrazi decks, however, broke the format in a way that doesn't heal (and in fact is rapidly getting much worse).

We're gonna have to amputate. Something has to go. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. There are three Modern GPs coming up in two weeks, all on the same weekend. Those GPs are going to be the real test.
[/quote]

I am little surprised SCG lets him write articles like this considering their partnership with WOTC. I applaud it in full, but it is just surprising.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Brownhat posted:

Misdirection and Stifle were the big reprints. Brainstorm and Swords to Plowshares had a lot of reprints already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I am little surprised SCG lets him write articles like this considering their partnership with WOTC. I applaud it in full, but it is just surprising.

It's a little overboard. Modern was a dumb format before these decks too.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

odiv posted:

Stifle was nice to see, but maybe a bit "smaller".

Stifle was like 35 bucks before it was reprinted in Conspiracy. That was huge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I get that you are on this deck now therefor you are going to defend it, but can you not say dumb things like this?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I get that you are on this deck now therefor you are going to defend it, but can you not say dumb things like this?

I'm not trying to defend it. I know it's getting banned. I've said that modern was a dumb format since I started playing modern or posting about it in here.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was dumb but never this level of dumb.

This is a level beyond dumb.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Can someone post the full article? It's behind a stupid paywall because for some reason Magic commentary is the kind of thing people pay for

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think people are understating how dumb modern was before these decks. It might be worse now but not THAT much worse, at least in my opinion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lancelot posted:

Can someone post the full article? It's behind a stupid paywall because for some reason Magic commentary is the kind of thing people pay for

Says the man posting on SA

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think people are understating how dumb modern was before these decks. It might be worse now but not THAT much worse, at least in my opinion.

What made it that way to you?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

Says the man posting on SA
hey, I also get free access to GIP and TCC too. i'm exposed to much more idiocy for half the price.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

It will also be sorted by the SOI R&B update. At least there's a variety of OP decks with that core. It's just interesting, and it's right to allow this and fix the format in response rather than restrict standard for it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

No way this poo poo is great. I love Eldrazi (yes I play it) but it's funny as hell to watch this blip go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

What made it that way to you?

Because it was (and still is) the goldfish format. The less interactive you are the better which doesn't lead to fun games of magic.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It will also be sorted by the SOI R&B update. At least there's a variety of OP decks with that core. It's just interesting, and it's right to allow this and fix the format in response rather than restrict standard for it.

No it won't be. Unless they ban a hell of a lot more than Eye/Temple.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No way this poo poo is great. I love Eldrazi (yes I play it) but it's funny as hell to watch this blip go.

I'm literally not playing Modern every week because I don't want to use or run into the deck, as far as I'm concerned it's awful.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I gotta admit that from a puzzle-ish point of view, I'm fascinated by the question of how one deals with a menace like this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people use as their anti-Eldrazi tech, or more properly, how they incorporate it into existing decks.

Of course, there are at least two major problems:

-It may turn out that the answer is just "play Eldrazi and try to git gud at the mirror match," or "play Infect/Affinity and try to go over/under the Eldrazi deck rather than interacting," which are less interesting

-A compelling thought exercise and a format that's any fun to play for any real length of time are two different things

So I'll be happy if the deck gets banned back into line with the others in a month or so. I hope that any bannings won't make it completely impossible to play a decent colorless Eldrazi deck. If it could be rejiggered to take advantage of playing all the colorless-producing utility lands, that would be a cool deck.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

JerryLee posted:

-It may turn out that the answer is just "play Eldrazi and try to git gud at the mirror match," or "play Infect/Affinity and try to go over/under the Eldrazi deck rather than interacting," which are less interesting

This was the argument for caw blade style decks. They became "skill matches" as mirrors, but yea, not a good argument.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Modern has a core problem- the answers are worse than the threats. Being reactive in modern has been a losing strategy before eldrazi were printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This was the argument for caw blade style decks. They became "skill matches" as mirrors, but yea, not a good argument.

There's also way, way less skill than the Caw Blade mirror.

• Locked thread