Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JerryLee posted:

I gotta admit that from a puzzle-ish point of view, I'm fascinated by the question of how one deals with a menace like this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people use as their anti-Eldrazi tech, or more properly, how they incorporate it into existing decks.

Of course, there are at least two major problems:

-It may turn out that the answer is just "play Eldrazi and try to git gud at the mirror match," or "play Infect/Affinity and try to go over/under the Eldrazi deck rather than interacting," which are less interesting

-A compelling thought exercise and a format that's any fun to play for any real length of time are two different things

So I'll be happy if the deck gets banned back into line with the others in a month or so. I hope that any bannings won't make it completely impossible to play a decent colorless Eldrazi deck. If it could be rejiggered to take advantage of playing all the colorless-producing utility lands, that would be a cool deck.

If they do ban cards, and they will, I hope it's eye and mimic. Mimic does busted stuff when it comes down for free in multiples on turn 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/701899771707990016

Fight me IRL

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If they do ban cards, and they will, I hope it's eye and mimic. Mimic does busted stuff when it comes down for free in multiples on turn 1.

...which it doesn't do if Eye is banned so why ban both?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
don't play modern

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I signed up for the Card Kingdom Pauper tournament in a couple weeks and I have no idea what deck I should take. I play UB teachings and Soul Sisters online, but the Elves and Bogles decks look awesome (Bogles a little less so, only because I've Edicted a lethal creature after a Bogles player emptied their hand onto it many times). The Delver variants look OK, but I'm not sure that's the kind of magic I want to play. Anyone have a pet deck or rogue Pauper brew?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I signed up for the Card Kingdom Pauper tournament in a couple weeks and I have no idea what deck I should take. I play UB teachings and Soul Sisters online, but the Elves and Bogles decks look awesome (Bogles a little less so, only because I've Edicted a lethal creature after a Bogles player emptied their hand onto it many times). The Delver variants look OK, but I'm not sure that's the kind of magic I want to play. Anyone have a pet deck or rogue Pauper brew?

RUG Tron is great if you're expecting a lot of the mid-rangey stuff that pauper is known for. Acid Trip is also a lot of fun in that you get to blow up all their lands forever.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Recently I swung for 117 damage, leaving my opponent at 20 life playing pauper elves n turn 5 or 6 In the mirror match. I killed him the next turn with a wirewood pride.

Pauper elves rules if you like having a shitton of creatures and hands of 25 cards where you can play all of them except the lands.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Modern has a core problem- the answers are worse than the threats. Being reactive in modern has been a losing strategy before eldrazi were printed.
Agreed, this is the main problem of modern. What happens the next time when some very good deck shows up and modern still doesn't have any good answers? Ban everything but Siege Rhino?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

No it won't be. Unless they ban a hell of a lot more than Eye/Temple.

The whole thing the Eldrazi is the amount of value they spew out off the back of those lands, so those and maybe SSG will likely get looked at. Would be nice if Eldrazi was just slowed down. TKS will be less oppressive if it's not coming down so early.

Watching two flavours of Eldrazi is more fun than the Twin mirror for sure.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

...which it doesn't do if Eye is banned so why ban both?

Because Eye and mimic can both go without gutting the deck and it slows it down. with a temple you can stil T1 a mimic which can swing for 4 turn 2 and 5 turn 3.

If Temple goes along with eye the deck is garbage.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Is MBC still a big component of the Pauper meta? Last time I was heavy into brewing for the format, I got so sick of MBC making up like 50% of the game that I put together a W/B list with nothing but pro-black creatures and Pestilence. It was real good against mono-black and virtually nothing else, but it was still satisfying to play.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

RUG Tron is great if you're expecting a lot of the mid-rangey stuff that pauper is known for. Acid Trip is also a lot of fun in that you get to blow up all their lands forever.

First event top-8: http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/the-rags-and-the-riches-card-kingdom-112115/
Full stats: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOiyutb-yd6NHVxYzIzclFkRnc/view?pli=1

Second Event top 8: http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/2-rags-2-riches-card-kingdom-122016/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Watching two flavours of Eldrazi is more fun than the Twin mirror for sure.

Wasn't everyone saying this when Twin became the new hotness?

Also maybe WotC's dumb announcement about not emergency Banning eldrazi stuff will make tks and reality smasher rise more and then I can dump them off.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh right, they're using paper printings for their list of legal cards for some reason (this is a really bad idea btw.) Well, RUG Tron looks ok there. You'll crush Delver, UB, Elves, Soul Sisters, and mono-black and lose hard to High Tide and Kiln Fiend. Acid Trip and Burn are draw dependent.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Ultimately, I'd bring what you're most comfortable with playing in paper. I wouldn't bring bogles, both tournaments there seemed to be a lot of MBC players and a lot of edict effects. I will say that it seems like a lot of the decks are very soft to life gain. I may bring elves again, but with how soft it is to MBC I am hesitant but when it is running well it is a blast to play

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was dumb but never this level of dumb.

This is a level beyond dumb.

I don't get what's dumb about it: it really simplifies deck choices. Do I bring Eldrazi, or do I bring anti-Eldrazi? :v:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get what's dumb about it: it really simplifies deck choices. Do I bring Eldrazi, or do I bring anti-Eldrazi? :v:

There's a third choice - something else and hope a lot of people are playing anti-Eldrazi.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Got a link to Card Kingdom's upcoming Pauper tourney? Can't find it on the scroll.

Also I thought they were banning High Tide & Hymn?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lightning Lord posted:

There's a third choice - something else and hope a lot of people are playing anti-Eldrazi.

Play Merfolk and have ways to interact that aren't targeted spells.

Edit: on the subject of Merfolk, you know what would've been a good reprint to help with the issue standard is currently in with ridiculous mana pools and virtually no way to stop it, and was also printed on Zendikar?

Spreading Seas.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2016

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I'm in the minority but I'd love for them to give more than 3 months to Eldrazi before banning anything, unless things get way worse. People were crying for bans to Jeskai Ascendancy in modern and TNN in legacy after one or two tournaments and a week of daily results. New, interesting, and cheap eternal decks always get overplayed and overhyped when they first break out.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Even Infect isn't that good against Eldrazi. Chalice on 1 is devistating, Ghost Quarter can take care of Inkmoth, their clock is fast enough that you can't play the long game, and they can afford to sideboard into things like Gut Shot.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I'm in the minority but I'd love for them to give more than 3 months to Eldrazi before banning anything, unless things get way worse. People were crying for bans to Jeskai Ascendancy in modern and TNN in legacy after one or two tournaments and a week of daily results. New, interesting, and cheap eternal decks always get overplayed and overhyped when they first break out.

The win percentage and play percentage of these decks means that this is a really bad comparison.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lightning Lord posted:

All of the best formats are like that. Do I bring Caw-Blade or Anti-Caw Blade, or do I bring Valukut and hope the entire field is on anti-Caw Blade?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Considering the win percent of "anti-Eldrazi" the best choice is actually still to just play Eldrazi

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

Got a link to Card Kingdom's upcoming Pauper tourney? Can't find it on the scroll.

Also I thought they were banning High Tide & Hymn?

https://www.moxboardinghouse.com/events/pauper/

And yes, both were banned from the 2nd tournament

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

That's very much a different order of thing. None of those decks put up anything like Eldrazi's numbers in serious tournaments.

People thought Ascendancy needed a ban in Modern because it was just the most obviously broken thing you could do with the Delve draw spells. But it wasn't the best thing, so it fell out of favor and eventually got banned anyway when they took out Cruise and Dig (which they also did after only a single season). TNN wasn't ever overpowered, people just hated playing against it. Legacy's suite of answers is better able to stand up to broken stuff than Modern's is (also they printed a specific answer to TNN like the following year). Plus, even if it was broken, they're way more hands-off about Legacy than Modern because they don't put Legacy on the PT.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Not the same, the format shifted to drive Ascendancy out, I think even before Cruise and Dig got banned, and I think it helped a lot people just coming to understand how it worked. No such shift seems to be happening against Eldrazi, because what can you do besides land hate which is mostly too slow.

I would still support an Ascendancy ban now mind, even without it being a problem just because I don't think it should do as much as it does.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

The win percentage and play percentage of these decks means that this is a really bad comparison.

Nobody knows win percentages except Wizards and SCG, and not even play percentages aside from D2 numbers.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not the same, the format shifted to drive Ascendancy out, I think even before Cruise and Dig got banned, and I think it helped a lot people just coming to understand how it worked. No such shift seems to be happening against Eldrazi, because what can you do besides land hate which is mostly too slow.

I would still support an Ascendancy ban now mind, even without it being a problem just because I don't think it should do as much as it does.

I'd say that 2 months isn't enough for the format to really shift in a situation like this. The fact that it hasn't happened in 2 weeks isn't enough to convince me that there aren't decks out there that could perform well against Eldrazi and not get crushed by the rest of the field.

I'm biased against bans because they will not come off the list for years and you wind up with stupid situations where valakut, nacatl, BB, grave troll, worldgorger, etc. get banned out because they were too OP many years ago.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Nobody knows win percentages except Wizards and SCG, and not even play percentages aside from D2 numbers.

In the two weeks since the Pro Tour, Eldrazi has been 41% of the Modern metagame across online and paper tournaments according to mtgtop8. Over that same timeframe, the list of Modern's most played cards looks like this:

This isn't hazy theorizing - which Ascendancy was. It's not a bunch of people being grumpy about an uninteractive card - which TNN was. This is an actually, literally broken format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Those were never 3/4 of the PT and over half of day 2 at an SCG event. And I'm still on board for banning True-Name.

Konstantin posted:

Even Infect isn't that good against Eldrazi. Chalice on 1 is devistating, Ghost Quarter can take care of Inkmoth, their clock is fast enough that you can't play the long game, and they can afford to sideboard into things like Gut Shot.

Why are people talking about Eldrazi like people are still playing the color main deck Chalice build? Most builds aren't playing Ghost Quarter or Chalice. The fact that Apostle's Blessing does actual nothing is pretty relevant though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you ban eye, why ban mimic? You don't get them free anymore.

I'm honestly hoping it's just temple that gets banned, along with maybe simian spirit guide. I think that should slow down the deck enough while keeping it competitive. A multi-drop Mimic turn still won't see anything bigger than 3/3 following it up unless you get eye/urborg/endless one-can't even drop thought knot but that's not that likely. It's basically like the t2/t3 kills affinity and infect can pull off at that point.

I have a feeling that what's gonna end up happening is both temple and eye bite it, and the deck disappears. Or even if it's just eye, the deck's pretty much gone. At that point you're just playing a crappy version of Tron

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's pretty amusing that they banned twin in the interest of format diversity only for eldrazi to take over--yes you get to choose two colors and eldrazi!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The real joke here is of course that WotC's Constant Gardener ban policy in Modern has completely hosed up everyone's sense of what is and is not banworthy along essentially political lines.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's pretty amusing that they banned twin in the interest of format diversity only for eldrazi to take over--yes you get to choose two colors and eldrazi!

It's what Modern deserves

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's what Modern deserves

:agreed:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Reprint Flash in Shadows over Innistrad.

COMBO COMBO COMBO

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Because Eye and mimic can both go without gutting the deck and it slows it down. with a temple you can stil T1 a mimic which can swing for 4 turn 2 and 5 turn 3.

If Temple goes along with eye the deck is garbage.

If you ban eye the deck dies. And who cares if you can swing for 4 on t2 and 5 on t3 (if you've drawn 2 of 4 specific lands)? Affinity can swing for 4 on t2 in the air pretty commonly. Infect's able to drop a bunch of damage then as well.

And I don't think the issue with modern is bad answers so much as it's typically better to just go about your gameplan than react to someone else. Like it's always been said there's no bad threats, only bad answers. I mean the B/G/X decks pretty much live off of having answers for all threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The problem is bad answers. The way Modern has been for awhile, the answers you need to common meta decks are all extremely narrow, and if you happen to randomly face decks you didn't bring answers for you get creamed. edit: This is why Twin was so popular with pros, it was one of the decks that you didn't need to have specific meta answers in your board and could threaten most things.

Also the Eldrazi decks will survive without Eye. The card regularly generates 4+ mana, trivially generates 1-3, and tutors. It is busted.

• Locked thread