Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Arrath posted:

Yeah, seriously the tension building was great. It was all "okay who is this John Wick guy everyone is scared shitless of him'

I also loved the "Noise complaint?" gags.

The way the police officer makes a show of releasing his weapon really sells the caution..

Also, the fact that the russian kid has to flip the surveillance camera off to get in, John just walks in and is immediately server a whole bar .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Clerks 2 was on, and I was too lazy to get up and get the remote.

Film bad.

But the irrationally irritating things- when they leave to go go karting and then they come back Rosario Dawson is all WAHHGHHGHGHGHG GUYS WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WE'RE SO BUSY and there's 4 people at the counter. I used to work in a burger place, 4 people at the counter is absolutely nothing. Fuckin' Kevin Smith no idea lazy man.

Also when Dante goes to punch Randall and hits the drive-thru thing, he's all "YOU DUCKED?" and Randall's all "BECAUSE YOU SWUNG AT ME!" except Randall didn't actually duck.

Also she apparently got mayo on her cooch from having sex on a prep station after hours. Who the gently caress still has mayo on their prep station after closing time? Lazy rear end motherfuckers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Clerks 2 was on, and I was too lazy to get up and get the remote.

Film bad.

But the irrationally irritating things- when they leave to go go karting and then they come back Rosario Dawson is all WAHHGHHGHGHGHG GUYS WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WE'RE SO BUSY and there's 4 people at the counter. I used to work in a burger place, 4 people at the counter is absolutely nothing. Fuckin' Kevin Smith no idea lazy man.

Also when Dante goes to punch Randall and hits the drive-thru thing, he's all "YOU DUCKED?" and Randall's all "BECAUSE YOU SWUNG AT ME!" except Randall didn't actually duck.

Also she apparently got mayo on her cooch from having sex on a prep station after hours. Who the gently caress still has mayo on their prep station after closing time? Lazy rear end motherfuckers.

This is the sequel to a movie that spent several minutes arguing about contractors working on the death star. You really shouldn't take it that seriously. It was a dumb movie and not as good as the first, but the whole thing is just a set-up for dumb jokes and it worked okay for that.

But fair enough I guess.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Been re-binge-watching Fringe because show good, and there's a ton that I could theoretically bitch about but don't for the sake of Dumb Sci Fi Show Science.

What did bother me though was that the "cartoon" versions of Belly/Walter/Peter in the LSD episode look nothing like the real actors despite being clearly designed to look like that A Scanner Darkly-esque motion capture but cartoonized rotoscoped. :argh:

e: remembered word

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 20, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TheKennedys posted:

Been re-binge-watching Fringe because show good, and there's a ton that I could theoretically bitch about but don't for the sake of Dumb Sci Fi Show Science.

What did bother me though was that the "cartoon" versions of Belly/Walter/Peter in the LSD episode look nothing like the real actors despite being clearly designed to look like that A Scanner Darkly-esque motion capture but cartoonized rotoscoped. :argh:

That entire episode was animated mostly because Leonard Nimoy was on death's door so they couldn't have him do any actual action stuff, so even if it was kind of cheap and ugly I can understand why they did it.

I'm more pissed that the whole "that's the man who will kill me" thing never actually amounted to anything, even though they went to the trouble of casting an established German actor for what amounted to like two lines.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Inside Out was loving awesome. And after you watch it a few times, it's clear that Joy is hurting Riley by always being in charge, keeping her a Stepford Smiler and acting like few things actually upset her. Like moving. Losing her best friend. New school. If Sadness had been left behind or forgotten while Joy got back okay, Riley would have ended up one of those people who has no loving social skills, who would have dealt with someone crying at a funeral by trying to tickle them. Hell, I read a theory on the evolution of tears, that it was a nonverbal way to communicate pain and suffering to others for help. Riley isn't allowed to be sad, ever, even when she's clearly not doing good.

But whoever greenlit The Good Dinosaur, they can lose all Joy and Sadness. Seriously, the gently caress kind of movie was that? Land Before Time mashed shittily with Lion King?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Snoogans, have you ever watched a movie called 9 1/2 weeks?

She got literal mayo in her meat wallet because he squirted it there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

But whoever greenlit The Good Dinosaur, they can lose all Joy and Sadness. Seriously, the gently caress kind of movie was that? Land Before Time mashed shittily with Lion King?

It was a fun and cute movie but like night and day compared to something like Inside Out

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

TheKennedys posted:

Fringe made it difficult to progress in the first season because the first few episodes decided real science was worth skimping on in favour of the pseudo science. An explosion that knocked her flying made the other agent who was much closer to the origin of the blast slowly crystallize due to the pseudo science chemicals? He gets not a scratch on him but she's nearly concussed and conversely she somehow does not start to crystallize either. Accelerated aging disease creates matter out of nothing so a baby that is c-sectioned out grows and dies as an 80-year old man (with the height and weight increase that entails) within minutes.

The season got better about tossing out reality or at least occluding it with the pseudo-science of the episode, but I don't think the show is for me.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sage Grimm posted:

Fringe made it difficult to progress in the first season because the first few episodes decided real science was worth skimping on in favour of the pseudo science. An explosion that knocked her flying made the other agent who was much closer to the origin of the blast slowly crystallize due to the pseudo science chemicals? He gets not a scratch on him but she's nearly concussed and conversely she somehow does not start to crystallize either. Accelerated aging disease creates matter out of nothing so a baby that is c-sectioned out grows and dies as an 80-year old man (with the height and weight increase that entails) within minutes.

The season got better about tossing out reality or at least occluding it with the pseudo-science of the episode, but I don't think the show is for me.

It's basically Mad Science! X-Files instead of Conspiracy and Supernatural Kitchen Sink X-Files, with all the pitfalls that entails.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I loved Fringe but with the wavering budget and popularity, it lost a lot of its potential, as well as plot threads, as the seasons went on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fringe had a cool overarching plot in the background and it was exciting when it came to the forefront but in between all that was a bunch of stupid poo poo about recreating images from dead corneas and using LSD to merge minds with your comatose partner.

I should finish the series, I left off somewhere around when the main woman gets trapped in the other dimension and brainwashed by Evil Walt. I do like that they gave him a drat good reason to be evil, though.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

10 Beers posted:

...he also tells Viggo that his son killed John's dog.

This is a truly non-irritating moment in the movie. You don't kill a man's dog; the dog doesn't know any better. You can kill Wick and everyone he loved. He's clearly a bad person and perhaps his wife forgave him, but she knew that he was bad. The dog did nothing wrong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mostlygray posted:

This is a truly non-irritating moment in the movie. You don't kill a man's dog; the dog doesn't know any better. You can kill Wick and everyone he loved. He's clearly a bad person and perhaps his wife forgave him, but she knew that he was bad. The dog did nothing wrong.

That's why the people who did that needed to die.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Morpheus posted:

I loved Fringe but with the wavering budget and popularity, it lost a lot of its potential, as well as plot threads, as the seasons went on.

I actually stopped watching one episode into S5 because it went from cool pseudoscience X-Files with alternate universes to dumb boring dystopian future and it was incredibly jarring. It felt like it should have ended at the end of S4 when they stopped the universes from shattering but nooooooo, had to keep going and make the Observers evil or some poo poo and it just stopped working for me.

fe: also real-universe Olivia is a cardboard cutout and I would totally rather watch a paranormal cop procedural about Fauxlivia and Alt-Linc or The Walter/Peter/Astrid Show

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This reminds me, what the gently caress is Astrid's actual job? Doesn't she come to the lab with Olivia as a cop in the pilot and then end up as a lab tech/babysitter with almost no comment or am I misremembering that entirely?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ryoshi posted:

This reminds me, what the gently caress is Astrid's actual job? Doesn't she come to the lab with Olivia as a cop in the pilot and then end up as a lab tech/babysitter with almost no comment or am I misremembering that entirely?

She's a student at Harvard that is doing an FBI internship.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Eh! Frank posted:

I just watched "Inside Out", and I had a longer post written out, but it got a bit E/N, so I'll just sum it up in one sentence: it is completely irritating to me (irrationally so) that the climactic message of the movie seems to be "Sadness is not merely a depressingly normal part of life that can fortunately be dealt with, but rather Sadness is IMPORTANT and the emotion should get free reign of your mental state at times, and all of the happy memories that make up your core personality should be tinged with Sadness in order to be a functioning human being!" As somebody who has been fighting depression for years, I say gently caress that, Sadness should have been thrown off of the cliff.

Also, Anger should totally have been feeding off of Sadness, Fear, and Disgust. Literally.

edit: I mean, I *know* the message they were going for was "It's OK to feel sad when traumatic things happen in your life", but they completely bungled it. Instead, it came across as "Being optimistic and happy in the face of adversity isn't realistic or good, you *have* to be depressed when bad things happen, wow, so deep, very insightful, pat me on the back for my Grown-Up message!"

I saw this more as a herbert style you can't have X with out Y or how would you know what X is !? X and y being happy and sad

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheKennedys posted:

I actually stopped watching one episode into S5 because it went from cool pseudoscience X-Files with alternate universes to dumb boring dystopian future and it was incredibly jarring. It felt like it should have ended at the end of S4 when they stopped the universes from shattering but nooooooo, had to keep going and make the Observers evil or some poo poo and it just stopped working for me.

fe: also real-universe Olivia is a cardboard cutout and I would totally rather watch a paranormal cop procedural about Fauxlivia and Alt-Linc or The Walter/Peter/Astrid Show

I think I got two episodes into s5 but I had the exact same issues with it that you did, right down to the villain. Giving the Observers an actual explanation just torpedoed them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

TheKennedys posted:

You're not missing much. Personally, I think it should have stopped a couple seasons earlier, after they reset the universe, which is just such a lazy plot device.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Inzombiac posted:

She's a student at Harvard that is doing an FBI internship.

Man, my internship wound up being just watching other people do their job and reading manuals, isn't that some poo poo? I have to think she expected to be making copies and doing coffee runs and whatnot, and instead she's dealing with inter dimensional incursions, how do you deal with reporting back to your academic advisor about all that?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Every internship I've ever had has been exactly the same as every other entry level job in the studio, but without pay.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For Deadpool, I dunno if I need to spoiler this since it's something NOT happening, but he never uses those little punch daggers he has on the chest harness.

THEY ARE RIGHT loving THERE. It's like they took all the time to make it all special and have these little daggers in the costume, but when the movie was being shot, NOPE. Never gonna touch em.

:argh:

For spoileriffic parts of Deadpool : I was kinda mad they made him a mutant, but I guess that was easier to explain than "We can cure cancer but only if you want to go kill people for us".

I really do wish they'd have gone the route of him looking hosed up from him blowing up the tank to escape, instead of just "Oh, snap. Your mutant gene kicked in and you look like the inside of Richard Simmon's rear end in a top hat". Have him headbutt Angel, get the match, blow up the tank, and have THAT be the kickoff for the stress to set up the scarring. It'd at least make sense that "Oh yea, he was unscarred, then he blew the gently caress up and caught on fire, and his mutation kicked in, and now he's all hosed up looking from healing his horribly burnt body". That annoyed me.

Damned good movie though. I really enjoyed it, except for those irrational bitchpoints.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can't really remember as I only saw it opening weekend. But I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a mutant, they were just trying to induce that gene into him to force him to mutate. He's not a mutant in the comics, he just gets his healing powers from Wolverine's genes. While they don't say Wolverine's name in the movie, I figured it was something very similar. His skin getting hosed up was because his cancer is now his healing ability. The tumors just keep rebuilding and keeping his body in a (hosed up) good condition.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

IUG posted:

I can't really remember as I only saw it opening weekend. But I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a mutant, they were just trying to induce that gene into him to force him to mutate. He's not a mutant in the comics, he just gets his healing powers from Wolverine's genes. While they don't say Wolverine's name in the movie, I figured it was something very similar. His skin getting hosed up was because his cancer is now his healing ability. The tumors just keep rebuilding and keeping his body in a (hosed up) good condition.

Ajax specifically says that the serum is to activate any latent mutant genes. So he's an inactivated mutant at the start and I'm okay with that since they can't use Wolverine or weapon X. This will help make Vanessa into Copycat in the next movie, hopefully.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheKennedys posted:

S5 gets kinda fun when the crew start using all the fringe science stuff to be terrorists and basically become David Robert Jones .

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I was irritated at how unenthusiastic Deadpool was about the International Women's Day activity.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

rydiafan posted:

I was irritated at how unenthusiastic Deadpool was about the International Women's Day activity.

He didn't say stop :allears:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

He didn't say stop :allears:

Pretty sure he said no.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fil5000 posted:

S5 gets kinda fun when the crew start using all the fringe science stuff to be terrorists and basically become David Robert Jones .

The assault on the observer base where they break out all the old fringe events was awesome. Even the bullets that make people float. Not because they serve a practical purpose. Walter just thinks they're cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not something about the movie itself, but I went to see Deadpool today, and about 75% of the audience started leaving during the credits - like they'd never seen a super hero movie before. The post-credits scene was funny, why would you walk out without watching it?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

Not something about the movie itself, but I went to see Deadpool today, and about 75% of the audience started leaving during the credits - like they'd never seen a super hero movie before. The post-credits scene was funny, why would you walk out without watching it?

Not everyone has the time or inclination to sit through 15-20 minutes of credits for a scene that they'll probably be able to watch on YouTube later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

razorrozar posted:

Not everyone has the time or inclination to sit through 15-20 minutes of credits for a scene that they'll probably be able to watch on YouTube later.

It's about 5 minutes, on top of the 75 or so you've already been there for, what are you rushing away for that's so important? I mean, you could watch the entire movie at home later if you want, if you've already made the effort to go to the cinema then there's no reason not to watch the whole thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's about 5 minutes, on top of the 75 or so you've already been there for, what are you rushing away for that's so important? I mean, you could watch the entire movie at home later if you want, if you've already made the effort to go to the cinema then there's no reason not to watch the whole thing.

Because it's a x-men movie and not a MCU movie, and x-men movies don't always have after-the-credits scenes, and when they do they generally suck?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Because it's a x-men movie and not a MCU movie, and x-men movies don't always have after-the-credits scenes, and when they do they generally suck?

the x-men 3 one was kind of cool, but yeah, they mostly suck. Even the one for Deadpool was lame, but still funny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiggum posted:

Because people are busy and need to get on with their important lives!

It's the same reason why some people get up and leave early from sports events or concerts or any kind of event really. Gotta beat the rush so you can be first out the door and first to the parking lot so you can be first in traffic, because then you're winning!

As if 5 measly minutes could ever make that much of a difference. And if they did, you probably shouldn't be spending your time watching movies or going to concerts anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the same reason why some people get up and leave early from sports events or concerts or any kind of event really. Gotta beat the rush so you can be first out the door and first to the parking lot so you can be first in traffic, because then you're winning!

As if 5 measly minutes could ever make that much of a difference. And if they did, you probably shouldn't be spending your time watching movies or going to concerts anyway.

Or maybe they just didn't know it had a stinger? I had to look up on my phone before I left to be sure, I didn't go in knowing it had one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or maybe they just didn't know it had a stinger? I had to look up on my phone before I left to be sure, I didn't go in knowing it had one.

Unlike every single Marvel movie before it?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

You're projecting so hard that ships could navigate using you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What sports game was it that fans on the winning side left early, only to barred from coming back because the other side won in the last minute?