Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

They stopped doing that when they realized Mt Weather brutally hosed them up whenever they tried to hold on to the old world in any way possible. Or whenever they needed to kidnap more people. Or probably just wanted to gently caress someone up for sport. There's a reason English is the language of the enemy, it's because if you speak it Mt Weather knows what you are saying. So they moved to a proto-English language that is close enough to be picked up quickly, but distinct enough to not instantly be decipherable to listeners that only know English. When you combine the fact they can not maintain technology on fear of being brutally murdered by scary rear end monster people in their impenetrable fortress bunker, and the fact they've eliminated their native language except among the most trusted warrior caste? You have a civilization primed to regress and evolve at rapid speed. I'm sure there are some that know that "Tondc" was once Washington, DC. Lincoln met someone from the Ark when he was a child, and was naturally curious about him. Not everyone is going to be unreflective and totally accepting of the status quo, and might consider the way things were. It's just that the status quo was maintained for a pretty solid reason [Challenge it and crazy monsters will come and slaughter you and everyone you love], and most people aren't going to be that interested in bucking it.

There's a reason that trader post girl calls Clarke a hero, and they instantly mythologize her as the Commander of Death for killing the Mountain. The defining feature of Grounder life was pathological fear of Mt Weather and everything they did. It's a massive deal that it's gone now, and the existence of everything about their society is now called into question.

As for there still being parts of the old world around....well we do see them every so often. The fact we deal with like the same 4 locations and the road between them cuts down on chances to see new stuff though.

This explains why Grounders invented their proto-English, but it doesn't explain why the Sky Crew has no maps or historical knowledge of and does not seek the ruins of pre-war cities, especially now that Mountain Men are dead. For example, Washington, D.C. is only 50 miles from Mt. Weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

enraged_camel posted:

This explains why Grounders invented their proto-English, but it doesn't explain why the Sky Crew has no maps or historical knowledge of and does not seek the ruins of pre-war cities, especially now that Mountain Men are dead. For example, Washington, D.C. is only 50 miles from Mt. Weather.

They do, to some degree. The first thing they targeted was Mt Weather. The second thing they targeted was a relief shelter. They knew where these things were because they weren't ignorant of pre-war conditions. We've dealt with an incredibly reduced timeline where their priorities were basic survival. After the jump they are still picking clean Mt Weather [Pity they didn't get that art out], which was kind of a goldmine. They don't go to DC because it's Tondc now, home to the group of Grounders they have a....complicated relationship with. Realistically what need would they have to press that issue? More guns? They have enough to defend themselves, they really didn't have the people to meaningfully use more guns. Not like they'd find food or water. Random tech? They don't need random tech, they need crops and medical supplies and things like that. Crops you just have to grow, medical supplies they got from Mt Weather.

Really, who would care about random exploration? Finding the original copy of the Declaration of Independence or something isn't going to help you live a single day longer. For all that they were doing grid searches of the area around them, we just come in at the tail end of it in season 3.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Have you ever been to Washington, D.C.? This is what it looks like:

The Tondc we saw was a tiny village with like ~20 people living in it, all of whom Finn Murderboy killed.

Wheres a DC hit by nukes would look more like this:

Which is what the show should have more of.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 22, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're assuming it was just the one bomb... it could have been 200.

Don't let it ruin your immersion.

Or ours.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

enraged_camel posted:

Which is what the show should have more of.

Why? Grounders aren't going to stay in ruins and the things you find in them because having the things you find in them gets them killed, and the Ark folks don't need much of anything from them as is. And there's the fact pretty much all of them are in the territory of people that are still undecided on the whole "Brutally slaughtering them" issue. Add in the fact the show has a budget of five dollars, and there's no reason for it to come up much. What would possibly make you expect to see it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

I'd also think that with that many people surviving the bombings you'd have a significant number of people familiar with technology and architecture and things wouldn't revert to stone age tribal society, but once again there's that tenuous relationship between The 100 and realism.

Not really though? I mean the grounder clans seem to at most be a couple of tens of thousand people and this is a 100 years after the bombs fell so they can't have been more than a few thousand at the start. So much of human knowledge is centered around transference of knowledge and complex production chains at this point that you'd pretty much have to have the survivors be a 100% tehcnicians, farmers, miners, engineers and chemists to stand any chance of keeping knowledge of the modern world actually worked surviving past the first generation.

Also, if we'd put them into an age it'd be the iron age, not stone. :colbert:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Holy poo poo did you see Lincoln drop that guy? like wow.....

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Glad everyone is now suddenly a willing murderer after 3 months of peace with the grounders, during which they built a strong lasting proto-city that is miles better than living on the Ark.

I'm actually mad at this show for becoming so dumb. Feels like Game of Thrones Season 5.

Grudges are not easily forgotten. Peace is often a temporary measure while you prepare yourself for war.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

Grudges are not easily forgotten. Peace is often a temporary measure while you prepare yourself for war.

I don't think anyone is arguing that a realist perspective isn't appliable here, just that the show could have gone about it in a better way.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, but again, he got one little recappy speech about things that happened offscreen, and suddenly everyone in the camp is rallying behind him.

Also since he wants a safe, self-sustaining camp, he probably should've worked on that BEFORE waging war on the people who were actually assisting with security. That was a pretty stupid decision, even if he didn't trust them.

And remember that from the grounder's perspectives, the Arkers have been doing lovely things to them since the beginning too.

You have to keep in mind that while WE do not know Pike, the people of the Ark does. Not everything can be on screen and I don't think that part had to be. There's no need to show us everything all the time. They gave us the information we needed. You can draw the rest yourself.

Xoidanor posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that a realist perspective isn't appliable here, just that the show could have gone about it in a better way.

That complaint could probably be the title of every single thread in this subforum imho.
People often think that because the show isn't going the way they envisioned it, then "the show could have done this better"
Personally I try to wait until the season is over before I decide if it was poo poo or not. Especially with this show. Too often I was expecting one thing and something else happened which blew up all my expectations.
So I wait.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dalael posted:

So I wait.

Personally I'll be satisfied if we get a "Basically, Pike" video next year.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
ALIE is pretty sharp to switch from crazy Jaha preaching to healing Raven of her pain which will be a massive encouragement to everyone who has seen how bad she was doing. Finally Raven wil have a chance to smile and be happy and it will on the whole be a really bad thing. drat you show !

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CeeJee posted:

ALIE is pretty sharp to switch from crazy Jaha preaching to healing Raven of her pain which will be a massive encouragement to everyone who has seen how bad she was doing. Finally Raven wil have a chance to smile and be happy and it will on the whole be a really bad thing. drat you show !

Yeah that scene after she took the blue pill and the nanobots or whatever were blocking off her pain was a real 'oh poo poo' moment.

Even beyond the legitimacy that'll give Jaha, and the access ALIE has to her mind now, blocking her pain receptors doesn't actually do anything for her leg, it just means she'll gently caress herself up worse because she doesn't hurt and will push herself harder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume they're actual medical nanobots or something, because it wasn't just pain, she couldn't fully use the leg. She was moving her knee around after taking it though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I assume they're actual medical nanobots or something, because it wasn't just pain, she couldn't fully use the leg. She was moving her knee around after taking it though.

I took that bit as a psychosomatic thing because healing her leg in the 30 seconds or so those things had been in her body seemed ridiculous. But hell it's not like the show is hung up on being 'realistic' with the science/tech so who knows.

e: If they were medical nanites why didn't they fix Lurch's face?

VVV: It was more the speed of it. She had just taken the pill, it's not like any bots had time to be anywhere but her stomach at that point.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 22, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have the Matrix, stitching together some bone doesn't seem too crazy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

e: If they were medical nanites why didn't they fix Lurch's face?

They caused Lurch's face. It's what the show has used to signpost so far with Lurch and the theifs brother that ALIE is in direct control.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Realistic nanobots that can send your consciousness to the not-Matrix? :confused:

Okay, I tried to get the thread title changed to Pike! Pike! Pike! Pike! last week but it wasn't, and now that's a little outdated, so suggest a new title and I'll ask X-O again and we'll see what happens.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hollylolly posted:

Realistic nanobots that can send your consciousness to the not-Matrix? :confused:

This is what happens when we have to wait a week between episodes. :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

They caused Lurch's face. It's what the show has used to signpost so far with Lurch and the theifs brother that ALIE is in direct control.

:confused:

This is a joke, right?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Lurch and Emori's brother are mutated, just like Emori is with her lobster hand. So at the very least we do know that taking the (huge) pill with the infinity sign does not cure mutations.

We also know it doesn't cause mutations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Lurch and Emori's brother are mutated, just like Emori is with her lobster hand. So at the very least we do know that taking the (huge) pill with the infinity sign does not cure mutations.

We also know it doesn't cause mutations.

Am I seriously misremembering this? I'm sure that his face looked normal before he got pilled. :stare:

EDIT: Ah, it was covered up. I just assumed that was the gig after the Lurch and him appeared with a notably less deformed face in the city of light.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 22, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Am I seriously misremembering this? I'm sure that his face looked normal before he got pilled. :stare:

EDIT: Ah, it was covered up. I just assumed that was the gig after the Lurch and him appeared with a notably less deformed face in the city of light.

In the City of Light they appear in 'perfect' bodies. As I understand it, mutants tend to keep their mutations covered because they are pariahs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

In the City of Light they appear in 'perfect' bodies. As I understand it, mutants tend to keep their mutations covered because they are pariahs.

I totally forgot about the mutation thing from last season so this went right past me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Today, on 'things I can't believe I didn't notice sooner'; I always figured they were smashing the zeroes together in the logo because it looks cool--which, you know, it does-- but as it turns out, there might be more to it. When you smoosh two zeroes together, it just so happens to form a certain sacred symbol...

ALIE has been with us from the very beginning. :tinfoil:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Today, on 'things I can't believe I didn't notice sooner'; I always figured they were smashing the zeroes together in the logo because it looks cool--which, you know, it does-- but as it turns out, there might be more to it. When you smoosh two zeroes together, it just so happens to form a certain sacred symbol...

wooooooahh

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

hollylolly posted:

Okay, I tried to get the thread title changed to Pike! Pike! Pike! Pike! last week but it wasn't, and now that's a little outdated, so suggest a new title and I'll ask X-O again and we'll see what happens.

#MakeArkadiaGreatAgain

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Oh holy poo poo.

But also, I like how the The 100 title smash has changed each season. Even this season, it's been different a few times. When the season started, the zeroes smashed together in front of Lexa's tower, aand last episode they were in front of Arkadia. Not only has the backdrop changed, but the collision is much more explosive than last season's. In season 1 the words were stone, and crumbled as they collided. In season 2, they took on hexagonal texture pattern, and this season they are brighter and collision actually explodes outwards leaving a gap.

edit: Yeah I just thought it was like, symbolic of worlds colliding.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 22, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Spergatory posted:

no way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah this is what I've been assuming. Her spine and hip were too hosed for it just to be blocking pain. Like either she was just trippin' a bit when she saw Alie and was in pseudo-VR, or it's nanomachines, son.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

...what

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Yeah this is what I've been assuming. Her spine and hip were too hosed for it just to be blocking pain. Like either she was just trippin' a bit when she saw Alie and was in pseudo-VR, or it's nanomachines, son.

Even if they can't repair tissue that fast, her leg was partially paralyzed due to the bullet pressing on her spine. Nantes could replace or simulate the damaged nerve, restoring full control.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

preview for this week's ep

I think they're trying to kill me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spergatory posted:

:psyduck:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
bitanic

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
level with me here: how many times per day do you type the word 'squee' into yr fan-tumblr

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Soothing Vapors posted:

level with me here: how many times per day do you type the word 'squee' into yr fan-tumblr

I don't squee I am not some fandom plebe I only enjoy the finest of sapphic romances in the classiest way, with a nice glass of wine and a hitachi wand

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

:catdrugs:

nice

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's a small camp. Word will spread fast that Pike was sent to jail for treason because he wanted to attack the army. Of course people are going to talk about it, seeing as he's the last minute candidate.

They knew what they were voting for and now it's time to pay.

They knew that Pike was anti-grounder and they probably thought, "Hey, he'll keep us safe!" but that doesn't mean they all knew that he was about to commit a massacre. I'm starting to think you just want another slaughter.

You're more bloodthirsty than Clarke :stare:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

preview for this week's ep

I think they're trying to kill me

Draw me like one of your Ark girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

jfood posted:

Pike has the right of it. Kill three hundred with ten, then gently caress up the next army as well with thousands of bullets. Then a truce, maybe.

Without fear there is no respect on this new Earth.

And then one day, you run out of bullets and the people who are awesome at hand to hand combat comes in and literally murder every last one of you because all your guys are pussies who only know how to use guns, like that jackass that was dropped like a heavy sack of potatoes by Lincoln.

jfood posted:

They kinda are.

How are bullets a renewable in a world where the industries to make them are long gone, and so is probably the knowledge on how to make them. Modern bullets aren't like musket ball. You can't just melt some poo poo in a round ball and use it.

One day, they'll run out of them. Its not like they know every weapon cache the US military hid around the area.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread