Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Automatic escape pods. They're not implemented yet though, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

There's also supposed to be an ironman (i.e. permadeath) mode. To survive destruction you'd have to activate your escape pod manually. The pod would be like any other fitting on your ship, as in if it gets damaged it can malfunction, so if you leave it too late you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Likewise, but doesn't having to scoop more often negate the time saved by the longer range?

If you're not traveling far enough for it to be an issue.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

BMan posted:

There is an element of luck in this, yeah. After making a half billion in Robigo, I learned some additional helpful facts about scumming the bulletin board:

- "Sticking" the missions only works for the Open bulletin board.
- When switching between Open and Solo to stick the missions, you don't have to open the bulletin board in Solo.
- Switching between Private Group and Solo repeatedly (NOT Open) generates new random missions. If there are no good missions in Open, do this instead while waiting for the missions to cycle in Open.

Just want to say thanks again for this answer. With a bit of perseverance and your helpful tips I just made about 85m in an hour of frantic clicking.

Gonna do this a bit longer then go finish grinding Fed rep so I can buy a big sexy Corvette.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Nice. This is what I came up with for Mary-Suing while I was waiting for an answer. Looks like not a lot of sacrifice required no matter how you go about it. :buddy:

How do you get the shield recharge details in Coriolis?

Making a Python lightweight doesn't really work - I cannot notice a difference between my lightweight multirole python and my 997T DFS Murder Triangle Python, and I say this as a dedicated Python pilot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Anaconda skins went up on the store.

Tempting but what I really need are paint jobs for Bestship :saddowns:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Kramjacks posted:

You die, and your money, ships, missions, and ranks pass to your next of kin, who also inherits the title of CMDR BonerWizard420.

This is very close to the actual Star Citizen explanation

Urit posted:

Making a Python lightweight doesn't really work - I cannot notice a difference between my lightweight multirole python and my 997T DFS Murder Triangle Python, and I say this as a dedicated Python pilot.

Duly noted, and I lost it at "Murder Triangle"

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Efexeye posted:

When a commander's ship receives catastrophic hull damage (breaks apart) or becomes incapable of supporting life, the commander automatically escapes via an ever-present, indestructible escape pod

tooterfish posted:

Automatic escape pods. They're not implemented yet though, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Ah, I see. However I think I prefer:

Kramjacks posted:

You die, and your money, ships, missions, and ranks pass to your next of kin, who also inherits the title of CMDR BonerWizard420.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Anaconda skins went up on the store.

Tempting but what I really need are paint jobs for Bestship :saddowns:

You know you want that gold skin

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Likewise, but doesn't having to scoop more often negate the time saved by the longer range?
If your scoop is fast enough, you can fill your tank in the time it takes your hyperdrive to recharge.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You know you want that gold skin

I own that gold skin :mitt:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Urit posted:

DFS Murder Triangle

You can't post just this and not the fitting.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kramjacks posted:

I like to think of it as a Dread Pirate Roberts scenario.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

kedo posted:

A semi-related question: how is death explained in this game? In EVE when your pod is destroyed your clone is activated which makes sense, but in ED (as far as I've seen) when your ship gets blown up the CMDR seems to somehow magically survive?

From what you can observe at "Salvageable wreckage" site, escape pod tech in the Elite universe is very good and rescue ships are quick to the task.

When the automatic ejection kicks in you get put in a medical coma and cryogenized in a flesh popsicle untill the rescue ship tawn you back up to life to pay your insurance cost.

Not incredibly immersive i know but it keep the game reasonably fun. I guess they could introduce an "insurance premium" that take in account the way you died and the distance you where form civilization when it happened but that would just be double dipping on the death taxe and punish exploration.

We might get more insight in the "in universe" mechanics once they release the multi-crew expansion, for it would be bonkers to have the other players in your crew spawn back at the last station if they get blow up while piloting your parasite fighter and your still in the fight in the middle of nowhere.

As for EVE, once you put the notion of jump clones in the mix we are straight out of space opera in into transhumanism territory. Your pilot in EVE is just a neural net of skills transferable to a tailored biological frame. You are a "brain in a box" spaceship, that brain just come with a bit of meat for easier maintenance and interfacing. There is no single "you" when you can switch conciousness in real time to another entity regardless of distance.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 22, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Any explanation is going to be a bit gamey. Because it's a game.

aleksendr posted:

As for EVE. once you put the notion of "Jump clones" in the mix we are straight out of space opera in into transhumanism territory. Your "pilot" in EVE is just a neural net of skills transferable to a tailored biological frame. There is no single "you" when you can switch conciousness in real time to another entity regardless of distance. You are a "brain in a box" spaceship. That brain just come with a bt of meat for easier maintenance and interfacing.
You're also an hilariously callous rear end in a top hat, since your ship still apparently has a crew of thousands of normal humans... but you throw it into battle with the reckless abandon of an immortal autist.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

tooterfish posted:

You're also an hilariously callous rear end in a top hat, since your ship still apparently has a crew of thousands of normal humans... but you throw it into battle with the reckless abandon of an immortal autist.

Yes, someone once compared the EVE pilots to "the 1% of the 1%", immortal space gods whose decision speak life or death for thousands.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I think it's reasonable that they are assholes. They have to spend eternity playing EVE.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I think it's reasonable that they are assholes. They have to spend eternity playing EVE.

eternal damnation.txt

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

I too crave the precise details of the HMS Murder Triangle

tooterfish posted:

There's also supposed to be an ironman (i.e. permadeath) mode. To survive destruction you'd have to activate your escape pod manually. The pod would be like any other fitting on your ship, as in if it gets damaged it can malfunction, so if you leave it too late you die.

This is loving terrifying. I almost always play hardcore/ironman modes when they're available; it really ups your engagement and excitement in the long term. But I... I don't know if this is a game I want that in. I am both excited and horrified by the thought of fumbling for that eject button as my hull gets shredded away... can you imagine clicking the wrong menu item in your blind terror and then watching months of work go up in smoke? D2 all over again.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's part of the appeal for me, really get the heart pumping.

They've been pretty quiet on the subject since the kickstarter though, maybe the idea has been shelved.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Other stuff from the kickstarter has been shelved.

Naming your ships is one of them. Also one thing they will never do is have a true offline mode where you don't even get to participate in the BGS. Unless 'training' is what they consider offline mode.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tooterfish posted:

That's part of the appeal for me, really get the heart pumping.

They've been pretty quiet on the subject since the kickstarter though, maybe the idea has been shelved.

Yeah, I convinced myself in the course of writing that post. I think I can see why they haven't bothered, though. Most people would want separate player groups like Diablo has, to prevent normal players from doing stuff like suicide ramming ironman players (that clipper fit from a couple pages back comes to mind :v:). Adding another layer of division on top of a community already divided between Open, Private, and Solo seems unhealthy.

You could always just use this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107694

IAmTheRad posted:

Naming your ships is one of them. Also one thing they will never do is have a true offline mode where you don't even get to participate in the BGS. Unless 'training' is what they consider offline mode.

I'm just pontificating here so stop me if they have said otherwise, but I think as far as Frontier's thinking when they said that stuff early on, Solo is Offline. They seem to consider the BGS and all of the galactic shifting an integral part of the game, not something that's disposable. So if it's going to be part of the game no matter what, does it really matter if the fluctuations are generated by a computer or by people you never see? The end result is the exact same. I don't buy internet connection being a real problem (edit: Australia and air travel excluded :ohdear:) in this day and age, so the whole true offline thing seems like hypersemantic whining to me.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 22, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Eichel posted:

The distant worlds guys have just demonstrated that 32 players is a soft limit, not hard. Details on Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/46i7ys/the_true_sagittarius_a_star_52_cmdrs_distantworlds/

And more than 50 players high waking out of sag A* in one giant ripple on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Bl2bsObA

That's a fun video; very nice. As much as I got tired of the sitting around for fleet action in EVE, watching 100 people leave a system was beautiful.

IAmTheRad posted:

Naming your ships is one of them.

Why is it so hard to program ship names?

tooterfish posted:

Back when I still played EVE, the thread had a hilarious few pages where people came up with fake condolence letters from xXxBonerLordHitlerxXx writing to the wife of some poor slob in gun turret A who bought it when xXxBonerLordHitlerxXx decided to suicide gank some dumb pubbie miner for funsies.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

They probably have higher priorities, it's not like man hours are infinite. Besides, ship names aren't shelved shelved, they've at least mentioned they're something they still want to do, as well as a pilot's log.

They haven't mentioned ironman mode at all.

Yeah, I convinced myself in the course of writing that post. I think I can see why they haven't bothered, though. Most people would want separate player groups like Diablo has, to prevent normal players from doing stuff like suicide ramming ironman players (that clipper fit from a couple pages back comes to mind :v:). Adding another layer of division on top of a community already divided between Open, Private, and Solo seems unhealthy.
The separate groups were a given, it was part of the design document. Ironman players would get their own versions of Open, Private and Solo.

It wouldn't split the community that much, since 99% of people wouldn't play it. Sadly that's probably the same reason they're not spending time on it.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm just pontificating here so stop me if they have said otherwise, but I think as far as Frontier's thinking when they said that stuff early on, Solo is Offline. They seem to consider the BGS and all of the galactic shifting an integral part of the game, not something that's disposable. So if it's going to be part of the game no matter what, does it really matter if the fluctuations are generated by a computer or by people you never see? The end result is the exact same. I don't buy internet connection being a real problem (edit: Australia and air travel excluded :ohdear:) in this day and age, so the whole true offline thing seems like hypersemantic whining to me.

Oh believe me it is.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

MoraleHazard posted:

You have to stock them somewhere in the DB and have to display them somewhere on the UI. You must also make allowance for foreign languages and include profanity filters in a few of them and nowadays even copyright filters, unless some youtuber channel get taken down by a DMCA because some other ship onscreen in one of his video was named the Millenium Falcon. Then you have lenght and font limits that will always make people mad and finally you must run a whole lot of sanitizing routines to ensure someone dont inject malicious code in your server by naming his ship "DROP TABLE ship_name;"

It would be nice, but Its a lot of effort and maintenance for very little payoff in the end and does not really fit with the rebuy insurance mechanism, unlike in EVE where when a ship is gone, its gone.

Also you wont have to look at 5 Sidewinders named "Serenity" in the beginner systems.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2016

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Also you wont have to look at 5 Sidewinders named "Serenity" in the beginner systems.

You view this as a bane, I view it as a boon. We could have a Goon Murder Bingo where the bingo cards are made up of popular ship names and you punch the cards by murdering pubbies.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Akion posted:

You view this as a bane, I view it as a boon. We could have a Goon Murder Bingo where the bingo cards are made up of popular ship names and you punch the cards by murdering pubbies.

I must admit this idea has merit but we could do somethign similar with commanders name instead, like "mention drugs", "sci-fi character", "MLP references" etc.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If I can't name my Cobra 'Flat Snake', I demand a refund

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Daaaaang, I never noticed that. Poor loving FDL, you never stood a chance with me. The combination of Cubeo grind, large pad requirement, and 16 ton tank knocks the clipper out too I think.

I already have the rank for an FAS. I think when I come back from Distant Worlds I'll grab one of those, and then work towards the Python. How much sacrifice is required to get it under the 750 ton weight to make it not handle like a brick?

The FDL outclasses the python in the "making things die" department but obviously suffers from a pitiful jump range and tiny fuel tank.

The biggest draw of the FDL for me though, is the heat disipation. The FDL's radiators are so good you don't have to waste a slot on heatsinks to use your SCBs, whereas the python can cook itself just shooting.

The python is still better if your plans don't exclusively involve committing violence against other space ships however.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

I must admit this idea has merit but we could do somethign similar with commanders name instead, like "mention drugs", "sci-fi character", "MLP references" etc.

I think we may need to sponsor this. To the PGS Thread!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh believe me it is.

Say that again the next time you're stuck in witchspace for 45 seconds on every single jump because the servers are making GBS threads bricks. Or the next time the servers are down completely during the one evening that week you actually have to play.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

aleksendr posted:

You have to stock them somewhere in the DB and have to display them somewhere on the UI. You must also make allowance for foreign languages and include profanity filters in a few of them and nowadays even copyright filters, unless some youtuber channel get taken down by a DMCA because some other ship onscreen in one of his video was named the Millenium Falcon. Then you have lenght and font limits that will always make people mad and finally you must run a whole lot of sanitizing routines to ensure someone dont inject malicious code in your server by naming his ship "DROP TABLE ship_name;"

It would be nice, but Its a lot of effort and maintenance for very little payoff in the end and does not really fit with the rebuy insurance mechanism, unlike in EVE where when a ship is gone, its gone.

I agree but doesn't that all equally apply to commander names which are already visible?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Magmarashi posted:

If I can't name my Cobra 'Flat Snake', I demand a refund

If they ever let me name my stars-and-stripes Cobra, I'm calling it the Gadsen.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I'm gonna get a big ship, either Anaconda, Corvette or Cutter, get a green skin for it and call it the Shrek.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Unless you have just one the one chance for an ironman run per account, I can see people making cheap disposable CMDRs to do the ramming thing anyway.

As a die-hard carebear, having to being online doesn't bother me too much, although anything that is slower than it would otherwise be due to network issues at the server end does.

Nor do I much care about the BGS, and I'd happily give up the ability to affect it (and Powerplay) whilst in solo if only I could cheat/mod the fucker. An actual usable 3rd person camera, recharging ammo, not having to spend ages flying around to switch ships, etc.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
If mods are ever allowed I'm going to get one of those big ships with huge weapon mounts, but put them on sideways so I can RP as an AC-130.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

Duly noted, and I lost it at "Murder Triangle"

This is what I fly now. The damage is not particularly amazing especially at longer ranges but it's surprisingly strong and has really awesome survivability if you use your SCBs well, plus it can stay in the fight for ages with these weapons.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/27A6A5A4A7A6A5C1d1d1d272702020404p15o5o2d2d3229296b.AwRj4yoo.Aw0iMld4EwgZkUA=?bn=Murder%20Triangle

Requires some VERY specific tricks around the SCBs since you have 12 boosters and only 8 heatsinks, and the Python immediately hits 120-150% heat when SCBing. The trick is as follows: Have a dedicated heatsink key, have a fire group with SCB1 on trigger 1 and SCB2 on trigger 2. Fire 1 sink + 1 SCB simultaniously. As soon as you hear the scream (the first SCB kicking in, you can also tell because your heat starts dropping but you should be anticipating it, I think it's like 4-5 seconds? I don't time it any more) immediately fire the second SCB. It's okay if you're half a second early or late, just make sure you fire that second SCB. If you did it right, you get a full 2 SCB's worth of charge for the price of 1 heatsink. Heatsinks also recharge your WEP when used, so you can immediately switch back to your "guns" weapon group and start firing as soon as you trigger the second SCB. I think it over-charges (restores more shields than you have) a tiny bit but that's fine, since you're usually taking damage while running SCBs. Also, each SCB charge is 300MJ of shields (ignore what Coriolis says, it's wrong, see https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3vtk7d/14_vs_20_scb_strength_results_chargecell_in_mj/ - 6B are 85% of a 6A charge, so 300 MJ almost exactly.) so you're looking at 4265 shield HP including base if you manage to fire all SCBs before the shields go down.

As far as flying it goes, a lot of time you're in reverse if you're fighting 1v1 or doing FA off flips, which you absolutely must get good at if you want to fly a Python well. You generally fly it as 4/0/2 pips and fire everything until your WEP is empty, then use the multicannons while your WEP recharges, or pop SCBs+heatsinks while under fire to keep your lasers juiced up. It also gets you good at fixed gunnery with really forgiving weapons (pulse lasers) and you have multicannons to swat Eagles/chew up modules too.

Alternative fits:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/27A6A5A4D7A6D5C1t1t2b0s0s02020404p15o5o2d2d3229296b.AwRj4yoo.Aw0iMld4EwgZkUA= close range puncher. Good luck getting to close range, but it's fun against Anacondas and Corvettes.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/27A6A5A4A7A6D5C1d1d1d2a2a02020404p15o5o2d2d3229296b.AwRj4yoo.Aw0iMld4EwgZkUA= Runs HOTTTTTTT. Holy gently caress you will hate how hot it runs. Better damage though and probably a better fighter against the silent meta since all weapons are hitscan.

The base Murder Triangle but with fixed multis works good too, though it's nearly impossible to keep all 5 guns firing then. You then have to use the multis and the pulses alternately. I don't really like it.

I want to run 3 large multicannons and 2 medium rails or beams when they get around to putting them in.

Prismatic shields are required for the true Murder Triangle experience since you lose 109 MJzzzzz shield capacity with normals, but if you run normal shields you can fit bigger weapons. Do not fit bi-weave unless you're just running a bullshit pve fit.

Urit fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 23, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If I mostly just want to do trading and exploration and other assorted space truckin', is there any point in playing Open besides "getting blown up by players in addition to NPC pirates"? Also, what should I be aiming for to do those things while also not dying horribly every time a pirate so much as glances my way? I'm still flying the default Sidewinder (I started yesterday) with a few upgrades I bought on the way, but every time I get successfully interdicted, my maneuverability is so poor that I get wrecked without even being able to see the pirate.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

I agree but doesn't that all equally apply to commander names which are already visible?

True, but the cmdr-account relation is 1-1, while the cmdr-ships relation is 1-n. not incredibly complex, but i bet you some of the most spergy among the players have dozens of ships stacked around various stations for different type of activity.

Its not incredibly complex, but its slightly more complicated than just adding a database field and a textbox client side when you buy a new ship. It would be fun and judging by the Diamond Frogs Fleet rooster a lot of Elite players like the deliciously irreverent ship names of the Culture but it does not bring a lot more game play to the table. I would pick atmospheric landing, research, outpost ownership or new ships hulls or passive hull bonuses over ship name any day of the week.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

If I mostly just want to do trading and exploration and other assorted space truckin', is there any point in playing Open besides "getting blown up by players in addition to NPC pirates"? Also, what should I be aiming for to do those things while also not dying horribly every time a pirate so much as glances my way? I'm still flying the default Sidewinder (I started yesterday) with a few upgrades I bought on the way, but every time I get successfully interdicted, my maneuverability is so poor that I get wrecked without even being able to see the pirate.

You should definitely play in solo/group until you feel comfortable and have enough cash reserve to accept loss of your ship a few times over. Go in open once you feel ready to join a group like The Diamond Frogs for shenanigans versus other human players and you want that little something "more" out of a game only the chaos of live interaction can give.

The upcoming expansion with on board fighters bay and multi-crew ships might however provide more incentives to join open play. If you don't like the idea of being the fighter wing of an Anaconda carrier with your fellow goons then i don't know why you hate fun.

Try playing the Arena mode for some combat practice. There is zero risks in there and the credits you earn might allow you to buy the commodities for your first few trade runs

use https://eddb.io/ for planning trades and http://coriolis.io/ for ships fitting.

Once you get the hang of things the credits will start flowing in and you will be in a Cobra III in 10-15 hours of play.

• Locked thread