Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Ugh I hate my stepdad for punishing me like a guardian is supposed to instead of just letting me get a criminal record and wind up in juvie ughhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Chloe is kind of a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
David is an interesting character in that his motivations are so unclear at this point. He's doing lots of unsettling things (including stalking our main character) but at the same time from a slightly different perspective he may be one of the only adults at Blackwell trying to genuinely help. He has a real nasty streak (his quip about Max dressing like Rachel for Halloween kinda made me hate him again) and an inability to acknowledge other peoples perspective which make him come across as a real a-hole. But at the same time there are enough hints that he is trying to be a better man than he is that I also can't write him off either. As such he seems like he could be a decent person who just needs to get over himself a bit but he could also be a budding serial killer or worse (a libertarian!).

It also seems like Rachel might actually have been a bad influence on Chloe rather than just David being homophobic given what Joyce says about her and what was in David's files. I have a running theory that Chloe's debt was actually incurred by Rachel and that Chloe is not as involved in Arcadia Bay's criminal scene as I first assumed.

Max's journal here is interesting as well. Its a fascinating segue from being happy and nostalgic at getting into highjinx with Chloe to crippling self loathing as she starts comparing herself unfavorably to Rachel Amber

epilepticsheep
Apr 9, 2015
I probably was a bit unsympathetic towards David but I still hold it that if he is holding something he is doing (even if to protect his daughter) from his wife that his wife deserves to know. Is it Max's right to judge whether the action was justified enough to withhold it from Joyce? I don't think so, she deserves to make her own mind up on David's character she does know him the best after all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, that poll is tense so far.
To be honest I'm okay with both options. One is the one I would personally prefer and the other one is the one I haven't een yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

epilepticsheep posted:

I probably was a bit unsympathetic towards David but I still hold it that if he is holding something he is doing (even if to protect his daughter) from his wife that his wife deserves to know. Is it Max's right to judge whether the action was justified enough to withhold it from Joyce? I don't think so, she deserves to make her own mind up on David's character she does know him the best after all.

Yeah but Chloe and Max are holding a ton of secrets from Joyce as well.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like that even someone as paranoid as David can make the classic "too-short password written down in the same room as the thing you're trying to secure" mistake that every fictional character seems to run into.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I've been watching this thread since the beginning, but I felt the need to comment on this vote. This... This hits home for me. I come from a single-parent household. One that failed, and failed hard enough to land me on foster care. I've been privileged, I think, to have seen the perspective of many different family lives first hand, and probably the one I'm most familiar with has enough similarities to the current situation in the game to be pretty loving reminiscent.

I'm gonna out and say it. I don't like David. He's a good character, complicated enough that you can't just dismiss him, but I still don't like him. His relationship with Joyce and Chloe is not strong, and it's not healthy. For any of them. I don't think Max is the best agent of change here, but the fact of the matter is that what happened was going to happen eventually, and the fact that it happened the way that it did indicates it's been in the air for a while.

Voting to side with Chloe isn't breaking up the family. That family was already breaking. And besides, David seriously needs some time to fix himself before he can devote himself to something as taxing as a family.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's a tough tough choice. Man, I have finished watching, read all the comments, and I'm still torn.

Though tempted to side with David just because it's less dire.

THIS IS A TOTALLY TENSE DECISION

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

epilepticsheep posted:

Joyce may deserve to know, but should that decision to have her find out be controlled by a teenager who snooped around to get that information and has done more illegal things than David?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Don't loving hit your kids. Always side against David.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Fangz posted:

Yeah but Chloe and Max are holding a ton of secrets from Joyce as well.

Luckily they're both not really adults, or married to her

Ometeotl posted:

Joyce may deserve to know, but should that decision to have her find out be controlled by a teenager who snooped around to get that information

I feel like this is a large part of this decision as well. Joyce deserves to know, yeah, but is having her daughter's teen friend suddenly blurt it out in the middle of a big argument the best way for her to find out? Or is this a hosed up enough thing that it doesn't really matter HOW she finds out, just that she should?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Does anyone else feel it's messed up that we have to make this choice? I know I ran into this situation a lot as a teen, and the last thing you do is insert yourself in a family shouting match. We even know for sure that this is a no-win scenario: we either attack David, who we know is troubled, and damage the family dynamic even further, or we choose to defend him despite the fact that he deserves more than his share of the blame for this toxic environment and make Chloe feel even shittier than usual.

Forced to choose between the two, I'd side with Chloe, because David's behavior is really troubling and he needs to realize it's not okay to go around profiling teenage girls, no matter the justification. Siding with David almost feels like an abuse of Max's powers, like we're invalidating Chloe's reasonable concerns for no better reason than we think we know best for everyone.

It just feels like this shouldn't be up to us at all.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Does anyone else feel it's messed up that we have to make this choice?

It just feels like this shouldn't be up to us at all.

Seconded. I've seen my fair share of filial meltdowns, and can safely say that I relish when I don't have to be involved.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for David's situation because he's obviously hosed up from war but I also don't have any sympathy because doing surveillance on teenage girls is hosed up.

Also I had an ex-military rear end in a top hat step dad with that same loving mustache that my mom later divorced so gently caress those guys and their lovely facial hair and hosed up concept of respect.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Anonymous Zebra posted:

One thing to note is that Max IS doing tons of illegal poo poo with Chloe. It's not like she is some saint that is being unfairly accused by David. He did catch her with weed on Day 1, she was loving around with guns in a junk yard, and she totally DID break into Blackwell the night before. David is actually being logical about trying to keep an eye on her.

This is actually one of the reasons I dislike Chloe a lot. While she is apparently reminding some of you as your gay high school crush, she is reminding me a lot of a dude I was friends with who slowly went down a dark path all on his own. I was good buds with him for a long time and in high school he started doing more and more illegal poo poo and totally was dragging me into it because I didn't want to be a dork and stop hanging out with my friend. I eventually ditched him senior year of high school when he wanted to transport drugs using my car and I basically lucked out because he ended up in jail not 3 months later. Chloe just reeks of the same type of person, who is making an otherwise good friend act more and more out of character in the name of adventure but is just giving her friend a fast track to a criminal record.

I find this post pretty interesting because it sounds like I had a very similar friend, however I feel like it made my sympathise with Chloe even more.

Sure Chloe is doing illegal poo poo but its way more in the flavour of wacky teen hi-jinks than it is horrific crimes. In the real world I think breaking into the school or Max waving a gun at someone would obviously be pretty big crimes but in the fictional world of LIS its a bit more light-hearted. Especially with all the other bad poo poo going on.

Chloe is acting badly but she's got a good heart and I think Max sees that. They grew up together and she can see Chloe has been changed by events of her childhood and her current life situation. I think if Chloe started torching orphanages or something Max wouldn't be on board.

I'm abstaining from the vote as I have finished the game but I will say that this is one of the only decisions that my partner and I had differing opinions. It was a big debate which I lost in the end.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Lazy Bear posted:

I've been watching this thread since the beginning, but I felt the need to comment on this vote. This... This hits home for me. I come from a single-parent household. One that failed, and failed hard enough to land me on foster care. I've been privileged, I think, to have seen the perspective of many different family lives first hand, and probably the one I'm most familiar with has enough similarities to the current situation in the game to be pretty loving reminiscent.

I'm gonna out and say it. I don't like David. He's a good character, complicated enough that you can't just dismiss him, but I still don't like him. His relationship with Joyce and Chloe is not strong, and it's not healthy. For any of them. I don't think Max is the best agent of change here, but the fact of the matter is that what happened was going to happen eventually, and the fact that it happened the way that it did indicates it's been in the air for a while.

Voting to side with Chloe isn't breaking up the family. That family was already breaking. And besides, David seriously needs some time to fix himself before he can devote himself to something as taxing as a family.

This post is a really insightful look into difficult family dynamics, and the idea that the choice that gives the best immediate outcome isn't necessarily the best choice. That said, I really view David as sympathetic other than when he slaps Chloe, the dog eared book about returning home is a great touch, even though in most cases PTSD is a lot more subtle and destructive than the picture being painted here.

The only reason I still want Max to side with David is I just want to see someone other than Joyce show him some kindness and acceptance. I don't like him, but I still feel bad for him. I've worked with some people like that.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

One thing to note is that Max IS doing tons of illegal poo poo with Chloe. It's not like she is some saint that is being unfairly accused by David. He did catch her with weed on Day 1, she was loving around with guns in a junk yard, and she totally DID break into Blackwell the night before. David is actually being logical about trying to keep an eye on her.

This is actually one of the reasons I dislike Chloe a lot. While she is apparently reminding some of you as your gay high school crush, she is reminding me a lot of a dude I was friends with who slowly went down a dark path all on his own. I was good buds with him for a long time and in high school he started doing more and more illegal poo poo and totally was dragging me into it because I didn't want to be a dork and stop hanging out with my friend. I eventually ditched him senior year of high school when he wanted to transport drugs using my car and I basically lucked out because he ended up in jail not 3 months later. Chloe just reeks of the same type of person, who is making an otherwise good friend act more and more out of character in the name of adventure but is just giving her friend a fast track to a criminal record.

David is also doing tons of illegal poo poo and is also not some saint that is being unfairly accused.

Also, I like Chloe because of basic empathy I guess. She isn't a mysterious character, her various traumas and reasons for self destructing are laid out pretty clearly. It sort of surprises me that people think she is just going through some typical teenage angst instead of a traumatized person with a poisoned support network desperately looking for escape or a wall to put her back to.

Honestly, it looks to me that siding with Chloe is the best option for both of them to be honest. David needs to stop but he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone's opinion except Joyce's, so she is probably the only one who could kick his rear end enough to get him to stop stalking and abusing teenage girls. Which really needs to happen for everyone's sake. Joyce isn't doing him a service by brushing aside the poo poo he does.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

That said, we are a Gay Teen and if there's one thing that teens do it's siding with the person they're crushing on/dating over any authority figure

Yeah, Panzer Skank has said she's playing as Max would have done, so this is the decision. It might not be correct from an adult, reasoned position, but from a *~*~Chloe is soooooo dreamy~*~* perspective, it makes perfect sense.

I watched another playthrough on YouTube (never finished it) a couple of months ago, and the eggs were out by the door then. The player and me both thought that was weird. Who doesn't bring their groceries into the kitchen?!

Also, how dirty is their house, since they let two birds fly around in there!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man! I can't believe they changed the location of the grocery bag. That's hilarious. The one major thing I've always heard (and thought myself) during this section was "Who would leave their grocery bag at the front door and not immediately away?" so putting it at least in the kitchen is an improvement.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

D_W posted:

Oh man! I can't believe they changed the location of the grocery bag. That's hilarious. The one major thing I've always heard (and thought myself) during this section was "Who would leave their grocery bag at the front door and not immediately away?" so putting it at least in the kitchen is an improvement.

Even if not away (which the cleanliness of the rest of the house doesn't really support), why would you not bring the groceries the extra 20 feet into the kitchen. Where it will all be stored or used anyhow.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm definitely more sympathetic towards David - for all the poo poo that Max and Chloe give him about invading privacy and putting cameras up everwhere, isn't that pretty much EXACTLY what Max has been doing the entire game? Literally pawing through everything belonging to anyone? Hell, he's the only adult that's doing anything at all about the fact that the Vortex club exists at all, the drug situation at Blackwell, and Rachel's disappearance. He's aware enough to suspect that there's more to all of them. Granted, he's not handling his investigation WELL, but he and Max actually share an agenda, he's just too damaged and Max is too influenced by Chloe for either of them to see it. The files on his computer seem at face value like a creepy thing for an adult to have, but he's the security guard, and there is a legitimate mystery afoot. He's not doing anything that Max wouldn't do, she just keeps her information in a journal with cute doodles, while he has his little info bunker in the garage.

He might not have the healthiest relationship with those close to him, but Joy isn't ignorant of his faults and he's shown that he's making an effort to better himself. There's certainly hope, and Joy knows that. Dogpiling on him immediately after he had to pull an all-nighter because Max and Chloe needed some trespassing bonding time is pretty unfair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

David is also doing tons of illegal poo poo and is also not some saint that is being unfairly accused.

Also, I like Chloe because of basic empathy I guess. She isn't a mysterious character, her various traumas and reasons for self destructing are laid out pretty clearly. It sort of surprises me that people think she is just going through some typical teenage angst instead of a traumatized person with a poisoned support network desperately looking for escape or a wall to put her back to.

Honestly, it looks to me that siding with Chloe is the best option for both of them to be honest. David needs to stop but he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone's opinion except Joyce's, so she is probably the only one who could kick his rear end enough to get him to stop stalking and abusing teenage girls. Which really needs to happen for everyone's sake. Joyce isn't doing him a service by brushing aside the poo poo he does.

I agree, Chloe's feelings are nothing to be flippant about. David isn't some tough-love dad trying to rein in his rebellious daughter, he's a paranoid man more concerned with confirming guilt than actually helping or understanding anyone he's spying on. Chloe has every right to be suspicious of him, because what he's doing is wrong regardless of his motives. Chloe's reaction to Max defending David isn't because she's just some sullen teen overreacting, it's because she's investing so much emotionally in Max, which she doesn't do specifically because doing so has resulted in tragedy in the past (Max leaving the first time, her father's death, Rachel disappearing, probably more we haven't seen). Max shutting down Chloe's concerns just reinforces everything that leads to her short-sighted, dangerous decisions.

Just look at what happened to Kate when no one was willing to support her.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
What is next in store for Max "NOIR ANGEL" Caulfield? How will Max, aka The Max Factor, decide? Will she follow Chloe to go poop?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The decision is certainly tough though I'm not sure if knowing the outcome makes for a better or worse decision honestly. It is kind of metagaming to consider the family breaking up or not when the question at this very moment is more like "Support David who seems to mean well but has the wrong means" or "Call David out for his highly disturbing and illegal behaviour". Choosing the latter has far reaching consequences that aren't visible right now but then again that is why decisions matter, right? You can't know what will happen so you have to follow your own moral compass to decide and see what happens.

While I wouldn't necessarily want to have him thrown out of the house and break their relationship, I would 100% call him out on his stalking and his freaking surveillance setup in their own home without Joyce and Chloe knowing. Relationships have to be build on some elemental level of trust and there is no trust left right now. While his military past may explain his behavior it doesn't excuse it and you shouldn't enable destructive behavior. So if calling him out makes Joyce throw him out then good for her because it is a position that is understandable and no matter the circumstance in which it is told will lessen the impact of "Your husband stalks teenagers, has dossiers about them and also has videocameras all over the house".

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
This was the update that convinced me I need to start playing the game for myself and find out what all the different choices lead to. I've already blown through Episode 1. :ohdear:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

So I wanted to point out the current state of the poll because lmao

General Ironicus posted:

What is next in store for Max "NOIR ANGEL" Caulfield? How will Max, aka The Max Factor, decide? Will she follow Chloe to go poop?

gently caress i'm so glad somebody finally pointed out the IM GONNA TAKE A DUMP, COME ON MAX line because it murders me every time i hear it

suddenly cats posted:

This was the update that convinced me I need to start playing the game for myself and find out what all the different choices lead to. I've already blown through Episode 1. :ohdear:

I love posts like this :3: I'm glad you enjoyed the lp enough to get the game!!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Panzer Skank posted:

gently caress i'm so glad somebody finally pointed out the IM GONNA TAKE A DUMP, COME ON MAX line because it murders me every time i hear it

Well, someone's got to find toilet paper.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I admit, that I may have called the race a bit prematurely.
It's been like this pretty consistently. As The Dark ID recently proved, LP goons are terrible at making decisions. That was an even vote between 3 meaningless names with like 1000 votes each.
To be fair, all of those names were great.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Mother of God, the tension. This is, obviously, a huge decision and clearly the thread is divided.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my kingdom for a "say nothing" option

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tell David about Handsome Jack

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I feel pretty ok with breaking up their marriage when he was spying on them all while they slept. That's a pretty big red flag. I feel if you actually want Joyce to be happy you'd save her from a psychopath.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Kaubocks posted:

my kingdom for a "say nothing" option

Seriously. If a real life teenager was in this situation, saying nothing is definitely what they would do. It's like etiquette 101 to not get involved in someone else's family drama.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I feel pretty ok with breaking up their marriage when he was spying on them all while they slept. That's a pretty big red flag. I feel if you actually want Joyce to be happy you'd save her from a psychopath.

On the one hand, yeah. It's hosed up.

On the other, David is making enemies of the most powerful people in town, who own the police, have been tied to kidnapping and rape charges, he has reason to suspect they'd kill to keep things quiet, and his life right now has generally have shown no signs that anyone else can or will do anything to stop them.

I'm pretty sure it's less spying because he's afraid of what Joyce is going to do, and more worrying that someone's going to break in. It's still paranoid as hell, but it's somewhat more sympathetic than the alternative.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

chiasaur11 posted:

On the other, David is making enemies of the most powerful people in town, who own the police, have been tied to kidnapping and rape charges, he has reason to suspect they'd kill to keep things quiet, and his life right now has generally have shown no signs that anyone else can or will do anything to stop them.

On this note, if there had been a security camera in the hallway, we would have had video evidence of Prescott breaking into Max's room and vandalizing it :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Do NOT tell David about Handsome Jack

We can't risk it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tell david what you had for breakfast

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GlyphGryph posted:

Do NOT tell David about Handsome Jack

We can't risk it.

Find Max a hat

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

And then put the flower in Chloe's hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

This is starting to look like collusion, near exact 50/50 for days.

I'm actually holding off from buying the game cause I don't want to spoil the LP for myself by playing ahead, cause I know for sure I'd just blaze through it in a day. I don't want that, I'm enjoying this too much.

• Locked thread