Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it seems to me like MDF wouldn't hold up very long. Maybe if you needed a sacrificial layer for something you do that routinely mars the surface, it'd be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Sylink posted:

I think my next tool project will be a proper bench, but I can't justify the time to make a solid wood woodworking bench right now.

I'm probably going to resurface my existing assembly table with a massive stack of MDF like Cosman does in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyrGlVWiTA

Then add bench dogs etc to it. Anyone ever tried something like that ? Seems good enough in his video.

A knockdown nicholson doesn't take a gigantic time investment and is definitely worth the effort.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I use a mdf top for my assembly table, 1.25 thick. It stands up to mft style modified bar clamps without a problem. I don't think it'd do as well with hold fasts.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

GEMorris posted:

A knockdown nicholson doesn't take a gigantic time investment and is definitely worth the effort.

I'll look into this, but I dont have that much need for that right now. I might not even need benchdogs/holdfasts frankly, mostly just need to revamp my assembly table with some dual purpose.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yuHeKnhWs
This is a pretty good bench, and it's easy to make with just a table saw. Similar idea to the Rob Cosman bench, but it actually has plans. The plans are linked in the video description.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Got to love the complete lack of safety equipment in that video.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mustard is an odd choice

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Hypnolobster posted:

I use a mdf top for my assembly table, 1.25 thick. It stands up to mft style modified bar clamps without a problem. I don't think it'd do as well with hold fasts.

I use an MDF top so I can abuse it and not care, but once you drill a hole in it (like for a bench dog) I've found that the edges of that hole go fast and then start peeling the surrounding area before long.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Got to love the complete lack of safety equipment in that video.

And the fact that an easy to build workbench takes a large table saw, miter saw, drill press, nail gun, pocket hole jig, and router to construct.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coathat posted:

Mustard is an odd choice

Mustard is the Heisz57 of woodworking.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought a bottle of that mustard maybe a year ago since I found it in the america section of the supermarket and I recognized it from John's videos. But I haven't been able to finish it. Sorry but that's not my idea what mustard should taste like. Maybe you guys would hate finnish mustard too if you tried it (I recommend trying red turun sinappi, I prefer the green, but most people seem to like the red one).

I'm probably just gonna use it for glue. I dunno why glue manufacturers make such lovely glue bottles where you loose the cap the first thing you. I use a condiment bottle (eventually I lost the cap to it as well) and a dish soap bottle now (integral cap that is sturdy), and soon this mustard bottle as well.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 23, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We have lots of different styles of mustard in the US but the basic yellow mustards have the best glue bottles. I'm just waiting for a glue manufacturer to start selling in mustard style bottles. I love the French's bottle except the cap gets in the way so I have to hold it awkwardly with one finger pulling the cap back. I'm going to switch to a twist style cap like so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You guys dont use titebond?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-III-16-oz-Ultimate-Wood-Glue-1414/100522343

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I have a small sriracha bottle like that I am considering if I should use it for glue or varnish dispensing (flying goose brand, the california made rooster brand is much better IMO). My shop is getting full of condiment bottles. It could get dangerous...

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Glue dries in the cap and cleaning it out all the time is a pain in the rear end. Titebond is good stuff, but their bottle design isn't perfect.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Falco posted:

And the fact that an easy to build workbench takes a large table saw, miter saw, drill press, nail gun, pocket hole jig, and router to construct.

I built my workbench with a sabre saw, circular saw and cordless drill.

E: and I'd barely count as chippy's mate, nevermind carpenter.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 23, 2016

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a small sriracha bottle like that I am considering if I should use it for glue or varnish dispensing (flying goose brand, the california made rooster brand is much better IMO). My shop is getting full of condiment bottles. It could get dangerous...

Varnish, clearly.

Glue already comes in a bottle like this, with a convenient slot in the top where you can put the cap.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That type of glue, where you are, comes in bottles like that. PVA wood glue, where I am, comes in bottles like this:

Equivalent to Titebond III more or less. These bottles suck, the tiny cap is held on with a small plastic tab that breaks on the first try and then the cap is soon lost, usually a nail is use instead.

This is what I currently use, dishwashing detergent, worked best out of all the bottle designs I've tried so far. The cap flips to the side and stays there. I'm not sure if the transparent bottles will negatively affect the glue or not, I think it might. There are opaque bottles though. I have one in the house, when it's emptied I'll probably move to it instead.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I bought a bottle of that mustard maybe a year ago since I found it in the america section of the supermarket and I recognized it from John's videos. But I haven't been able to finish it. Sorry but that's not my idea what mustard should taste like. Maybe you guys would hate finnish mustard too if you tried it (I recommend trying red turun sinappi, I prefer the green, but most people seem to like the red one).

Finnish mustard and American mustard are both beautiful, unique creatures deserving of our respect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Destroy everything that is heretical

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Free Market Mambo posted:

Finnish mustard and American mustard are both beautiful, unique creatures deserving of our respect.

drat, I stumbled into goons with wooden spoons *does a 360 out of thread*

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Why the gently caress is the titebond cap so poo poo, though? It as all that stupid void space inside the nozzle for no stupid reason.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Gluebot 4 life.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The only time I have had issues with the titebond cap is when I havent closed it properly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Why the gently caress is the titebond cap so poo poo, though? It as all that stupid void space inside the nozzle for no stupid reason.

My completely random guess is it's so that when Idiot Customer #1924845 forgets to put the cap back on and plugs the nozzle, they can break the dried-out glue off and still use the thing anyway. Of course, their design also means that you're always getting dried glue problems even when you do remember to put the cap back on...maybe it's just a conspiracy to use up extra glue so you buy more bottles. :tinfoil:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Frogmanv2 posted:

The only time I have had issues with the titebond cap is when I havent closed it properly.
Seconded. I peel the dried glue from the outside of the nozzle and go to town.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

That type of glue, where you are, comes in bottles like that. PVA wood glue, where I am, comes in bottles like this:
It's a brand thing, the colour of the top depends on the glue. If that bottle had an orange top instead of a blue one, it'd be fast setting PVA.
Which is also convenient, no need to read the label all the time. Various shades of blue are PU/waterproof glue, reds are PVA etc.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Meow Meow Meow posted:

^^That's a great suggestion for a first project/desk.

On the topic of desks, mine is 99% complete, just waiting on a couple more knobs and hinges which should be coming this week. It's taken about 4 months to build this with 3 years of furniture building experience as a hobby. I'll post some more photos once I move it out of my garage and into a better space.

This is kick rear end!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Elmer's wood glue has a better cap, I usually buy it but TB was on sale last time for super cheap. I break the TB caps too easily, they are terrible. Really I think Matthias has the right idea with Tupperware.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone built or bought a shop air filter? Like a JDS, Jet, or Steel City? I've been trying to find a small blower to make my own, but by the time I buy the filter bags, pre filter, etc I can almost justify a Jet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

the spyder posted:

Has anyone built or bought a shop air filter? Like a JDS, Jet, or Steel City? I've been trying to find a small blower to make my own, but by the time I buy the filter bags, pre filter, etc I can almost justify a Jet.

Lots of people have built them. Contact local HVAC contractors and ask for a blower, they usually haul them off for scrap metal. Or you can build them with a box fan.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
If you can get your supplies cheap/free you'll come out in front. Unless your time is better spent fixing cars. In which case, buy the jet :P

Fan Air Cleaner
Furnace Blower Air Cleaner

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
This isn't very impressive from a woodworking standpoint, but I built some new shop storage using clear shoeboxes as drawers. Now I can put my stuff away and keep the dust out of it but also see everything I have without opening every container first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG5OEhF7DWM

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

the spyder posted:

I have one made out of an old furnace fan. Basically it is a box made out of particle board with a hole for a filter.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

King Hotpants posted:

This isn't very impressive from a woodworking standpoint, but I built some new shop storage using clear shoeboxes as drawers. Now I can put my stuff away and keep the dust out of it but also see everything I have without opening every container first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG5OEhF7DWM

I did a very similar thing with some plastic drawers I already had. These: http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-Cle...bermaid+drawers

Besides already having them I wanted to get the bench done quicker and drawers added to the complexity. It works well and I'm not to snobbish that it's "cheap".

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Complete novice here who could use a bit of help.

I'm trying to make some floater frames for some of my canvas prints. I'm attaching a picture of the type of frame I need to make.

For the "L" shape on top is there a table saw blade I can use to carve that out of a single piece of wood?

Also, the miter cut tool I got with my table saw is just horrible since it can move a few mm from side to side when I have it in the table saw groove. I've tried to cut a few simple frames already and ended up with non-45 degree angles. If I wanted to buy something that would work a bit better and guarantee me clean 45 degree angles on my cuts what would you guys recommend?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
You could use a dado blade to get that profile. You would need to make two cuts to get the step effect. Or you could do it on a router table. Which is easier depends on what you have available and the size of the piece.

A good miter saw will make good 45* cuts. For something that small I would look at an old manual saw.

Or there is this if you want it more perfect.http://www.rockler.com/miter-trimme...2bfAaAnlj8P8HAQ

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 24, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

You could use a dado blade to get that profile. You would need to make two cuts to get the step effect. Or you could do it on a router table. Which is easier depends on what you have available and the size of the piece.

A good miter saw will make good 45* cuts. For something that small I would look at an old manual saw.

Or there is this if you want it more perfect.http://www.rockler.com/miter-trimme...2bfAaAnlj8P8HAQ
Thanks for the info.

Am I looking at the wrong thing, or are dado blades really $400 for my 10" table saw?

Also, I'm trying to avoid having to buy a miter saw and hopefully can find a miter guide for my table saw that's a bit more accurate. I really just have a table saw available.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InternetJunky posted:

Also, I'm trying to avoid having to buy a miter saw and hopefully can find a miter guide for my table saw that's a bit more accurate. I really just have a table saw available.

Dado blades are expensive but you should be able to do better than $400.

For frame building look for an accurate miter box or hand miter saw. Something like this.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/nobex-proman-miter-saw.aspx

I am not necessarily recommending this model. It was just the first hit on google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Just as an option, there probably isn't any reason that needs to be made from one piece of wood. You can just glue three rectangular pieces together and then cut them as one. Or maybe there is a reason :shrug: