Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

stealie72 posted:

I'm sad he's not going to end up posting the "after" photos of his upper floors and roof trying to fall into the hole he just created.

I don't see that he actually removed anything load bearing. He actually may have gone overkill on the "reinforcements" that he did.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong though. I've been taught that unless you find sandwiched 2x4s or 4x4s it probably isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

c0ldfuse posted:

"so, i had a guy come out and check and see if the walls were load bearing. his opinion was that they, in all likelihood, were not load bearing. but you never really know until you start knocking poo poo down..."

Photos:
http://imgur.com/a/10DS3

Reddit Post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/46xzz3/i_decided_to_destroy_a_wall_with_a_hammer_to_open/

I love how he puts in a dozen studs for the columns and then a 4x4 header. Both overkill and completely inadequate at the same time...

Phanatic posted:

So's diamond, hasn't stopped the deBeers people from manipulating the price through monopoly power and an amazing marketing engine.

deBeers is actually down below a 40% market share these days. Although their competitors have chosen to refrain from "flooding" the market.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tigntink posted:

I don't see that he actually removed anything load bearing. He actually may have gone overkill on the "reinforcements" that he did.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong though. I've been taught that unless you find sandwiched 2x4s or 4x4s it probably isn't.

You can have as much support as you like at the ends of a beam, but if the beam isn't big enough for the weight it has to take and the distance it has to span, it'll just crack in the middle (even if it doesn't crack, it can undergo a lot of flexing). And of course there's no guarantee that the headers that his "columns" are supporting are actually built to work as beams, including where the original builders decided to end one board and start another. What if they put the break between boards on top of one of the 2x4s that he cut out? Now half the "beam" is unsupported.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tigntink posted:

The wall with the triangle opening in it was almost certainly load bearing. It did have some sandwiched 2x4s, and the triangle hole is framed like a load bearing window. The original openings on both walls were framed with doubled 2x10 headers or 2x12 headers. There's a pretty decent chance the other wall was also load bearing, but it may have lower loads (because there's only a walkway on the floor above rather than a full room).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Fair enough. My perspective is pretty weird because my house is a full truss system and no inner walls are load bearing which is pretty rad. Before we bought we had an architect and engineer friend look at it and basically high fived us on the find.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Trusses are nice except for how you can't really use any of the under-roof space. But they do simplify matters a lot.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

#3 there will make a fine coffin, I'll take it!

I'm sure your pallbearers would throw you in the river if you got one that heavy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

I'm sure your pallbearers would throw you in the river if you got one that heavy.

They might have to settle for rolling.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Trusses are nice except for how you can't really use any of the under-roof space. But they do simplify matters a lot.

They make trusses for that, however you want to use it.

Trusses are pretty great, right up until your house is on fire. Then, they kind of suck.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They're pretty bad in event of a fire, aren't they?

E:f,b

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zhentar posted:

Trusses are pretty great, right up until your house is on fire. Then, they kind of suck.

I did not know this was a thing. Glad I just replaced all my fire alarms. They used to be wired in!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't amethyst also relatively easy to synthesize nowadays, and for all practical purposes indistinguishable from natural ones?

Yep. It's even so indistinguishable that customers can't be sure that they're getting the real stuff, so the price crashed even further. Remember how I said it's a variety of quartz? Well, quartz is the 2nd most common mineral in Earth's crust after feldspar. To make the fake stuff, they take some quartz, dope it with iron and irradiate it.

c0ldfuse posted:

"so, i had a guy come out and check and see if the walls were load bearing. his opinion was that they, in all likelihood, were not load bearing. but you never really know until you start knocking poo poo down..."

Photos:
http://imgur.com/a/10DS3

Reddit Post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/46xzz3/i_decided_to_destroy_a_wall_with_a_hammer_to_open/

/r/DIY is a treasure trove of bad ideas that somehow get thousands of upvotes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

kid sinister posted:

/r/DIY is a treasure trove of bad ideas that somehow get thousands of upvotes.

Someone today poster a "how really to remove a load bearing wall" and it was all about getting a structural engineering guy in there, manufacture you beams to make sure they can actually carry the load, and install them correctly. Never mentioned the disaster-in-waiting that we are all talking about, but we everyone knew who was being called out.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Would steel I-beams be adequate to take the load the wall's were in that scenario?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The electrical question is really bothering me now. Also he didn't even bother patching the floor in the last photo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Would steel I-beams be adequate to take the load the wall's were in that scenario?

How tall is the building (or more specifically, how much load is on the beams)? How big are the I-beams?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I worked on a house reno where we did something like that and just put in an engineered wood beam. Was like a wooden I-beam, was about 1' thick. The place already had tallish ceilings so it worked out, but if you've already got low ceilings the beam thickness will defeat the purpose of opening up the wall.

I also saw 2 houses go up where the architect made a single span just INCHES too long and engineers forced him to upgrade to a huge steel beam. I'd never seen still beams used in house construction, they looked so silly among the stick frame construction. It was either that or change the designs but apparently this great-room just had to have a huge 2 story ceiling and a mezzanine with no supports.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I worked on a house reno where we did something like that and just put in an engineered wood beam. Was like a wooden I-beam, was about 1' thick. The place already had tallish ceilings so it worked out, but if you've already got low ceilings the beam thickness will defeat the purpose of opening up the wall.

I was planning out my workshop, at one point I wanted to do a load-bearing central beam to support the roof, to avoid having to have ceiling joists. The workshop has a 24' span, which if I recall correctly would've required a ~3.5"x14"-wide laminated beam (actually two 1 5/8" beams bolted together at regular intervals). These laminated beams are built up out of a bunch of smaller strips of wood that are glued together, and they can be made arbitrarily long. A single 24'x14" glulam beam would've weighed on the order of 250-300 pounds and would have been...interesting...to try to install solo. But of course, I couldn't go that route without getting engineering signoff, which proved more expensive than I was willing to deal with just to get some extra open space under the roof.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is there such a thing as a steel joist that isn't an I-beam? My basement just has a few boards sandwiched together around an inch of steel, all bolted together. This is not an arrangement that I've ever seen/heard of before and it worried me.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
One of the houses I looked when I was buying was advertised as all concrete construction. When we got there and checked it out, that wasn't entirely true - the basement was a "drive-out", a spacious three car garage each with a garage door, and a large steel beam running the entirely length of the house serving as a header over each of the garage doors.

Unfortunately, the house otherwise sucked.

And a year or two ago, I saw a house under construction that had at least half a dozen steel beam headers over windows and doors. It was pretty weird; most of the spans weren't particularly noteworthy and probably wouldn't have required more than standard dimensional lumber.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

there wolf posted:

Is there such a thing as a steel joist that isn't an I-beam? My basement just has a few boards sandwiched together around an inch of steel, all bolted together. This is not an arrangement that I've ever seen/heard of before and it worried me.

Sure. It's called a filtch beam. You can buy them prefab ( https://www.betterheader.com ) or site fabricate them. The wood performs the same function as the flanges on an i-beam would, keeping the steel web straight and providing mounting points. They aren't used much these days because we have LVL beams that are just as strong but easier to work with.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zhentar posted:

Sure. It's called a filtch beam. You can buy them prefab ( https://www.betterheader.com ) or site fabricate them. The wood performs the same function as the flanges on an i-beam would, keeping the steel web straight and providing mounting points. They aren't used much these days because we have LVL beams that are just as strong but easier to work with.

Thank you. There was a small rash of lovely minor 'fixes' when I bough the place and I'm always worried that the same idiots actually got their hands on something important and I just haven't found it yet. 90% sure the floor jack below where the fridge is was them, so those beams had me nervous.

Anyway, here's some terrible stairs and stair substitutes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
ow my shins

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahaahahah

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

there wolf posted:

Thank you. There was a small rash of lovely minor 'fixes' when I bough the place and I'm always worried that the same idiots actually got their hands on something important and I just haven't found it yet. 90% sure the floor jack below where the fridge is was them, so those beams had me nervous.

I want my elderly parents to die when they visit me.jpg

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

canyoneer posted:

I want my elderly parents to die when they visit me.jpg

My friend who has exceptional design tastes was given the dumbest book ever "Young House Love" after he bought a home by some dumb relative. It looks nice on a coffee table so his wife demands they keep it though having it out drives him insane.

All the recommendations are terrible like those stairs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

there wolf posted:

Tiny homes can be full of crappy construction. What blows my mind is when some yuppies on Tiny House Hunters remark, "well that's interesting," when they see first hand poo poo like RV wetrooms used in a "house," or they bitch that the kitchen is too small.

Like, what the gently caress were you expecting when you moved into a "house" the size of a loving tool shed?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I had a friend once who talked about wanting to build a set of tiny structures that, collectively, would serve all of the functions that a house would, but individually would have a small enough footprint that they wouldn't have to get building permits. So like, you'd have one 100-square-foot kitchen, one 100-square-foot bathroom, one 100-square-foot bedroom, etc. and they'd be disconnected buildings with walkways between them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Frank Gehry designed some houses like that, not to skirt permits though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm not alone in my love for hating Tiny House Hunters

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Fun thought exercise, hilarious legal battle.

E:
Holy poo poo. I love that either a family member or a social media drone (or maybe just a big fan of the show?) has started posting anonymously to the comments on that page, acting as if it is totally rational and reasonable to move six people into a one-bedroom house because you have a burning need to experience every second of your children's lives. I get it, their eldest is growing up, it's hard to let go, but I don't think this is the healthiest way of handling it.

Also seriously what the gently caress complaining about how all the rooms in a tiny house are tiny. that is the point what is wrong with you people

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 23, 2016

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

I love you for this. My sister already hates House Hunters. This will just send her over the edge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Fire Department talk: We basically write off truss construction. Strike team to make sure no one is in there, secondary team to double check as quick as possible then pull out and we "save the basement".

We're not gonna die over crappy construction choices. (unless someone is in there and then we're gonna do what we do to get them out...but rule #1 in the fire service is that we don't trade lives.....so you make the choice on what type of construction you want to live in)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

one 100-square-foot bathroom

That is a gigantic outhouse but an outhouse all the same.

I like all those "stairs". Like, stairs evolved from ladders as a safer alternative, and finally more designers take tread length into account when making them, but these guys just decided to go completely backward in time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

That is a gigantic outhouse but an outhouse all the same.

Look I just want to have a bathtub I can swim laps in okay.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Man, I like tiny houses and want to build and live in one, but I am single and don't have a lot of stuff. But a lot of these House Hunter things are fake as hell, they just hire people to pretend to shop for homes on TV. You can tell when the follow-up shot is just of the 'home buyers' chilling on the patio in THE SAME CLOTHES THEY WENT HOME SHOPPING IN.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Motronic posted:

Fire Department talk: We basically write off truss construction. Strike team to make sure no one is in there, secondary team to double check as quick as possible then pull out and we "save the basement".

We're not gonna die over crappy construction choices. (unless someone is in there and then we're gonna do what we do to get them out...but rule #1 in the fire service is that we don't trade lives.....so you make the choice on what type of construction you want to live in)

My house was just left to burn when I was 8. I honestly didn't even realize that fire fighters tried to save the structure once the fire has moved beyond a single room. It gave me a good sense of "fires aint a joke, grab the phone and call 911 outside of the house" But that house also was in the inner city with no water pressure and it went up like a loving tinderbox and was fully fallen into itself in a few hours. The fire fighters basically just sprayed my neighbors houses down and made sure it didn't jump.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Man, I like tiny houses and want to build and live in one, but I am single and don't have a lot of stuff. But a lot of these House Hunter things are fake as hell, they just hire people to pretend to shop for homes on TV. You can tell when the follow-up shot is just of the 'home buyers' chilling on the patio in THE SAME CLOTHES THEY WENT HOME SHOPPING IN.

Well, it's not like they have the closet space...

But yeah, they are already under contract on the house they "choose" in the show and have two dummy throwaway properties they walk around in frowning and nodding.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

My favorite is the couple in Florida who were really worried about hurricanes so they bought a converted shipping container because it's be easy to just seal it up and wait out the storm. I really, really hope that was one of the fake ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Motronic posted:

So basically every tract home built in the last 40 years is a write off in case of a fire?

Not much lost there I suppose.