Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

kiimo posted:

It amazes me how many lifeforms in a whole galaxy inevitably interact with six of the same people.

Nine* people in-universe just dont realize three of the nine are not one person.

At least his backstory is fairly short and believable: here's a bug dude harvesting scrap on a dead planet. He was Luke's pathfinder through a tomb. He tried to backstab Luke and got his rear end beat.

What threw me off is that on hisvpackaging his description is entirely different: it suggests the face is a mask because he cant breathe normal air, and is a bounty hunter that frequently encounters the Rebels characters. Weird. Also he doesn't have an "electrostaff" accessory, just a broken gun and a fat gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Another example of some of the innovative and boundary-pushing new filmmaking techniques that were pioneered by J.J. and the team for TFA:

That's right. Virtual sets! Can you believe it? Who could have ever thought of such a thing even being possible, say, ten years ago?

And remember, J.J.'s doing stuff that's never even been attempted before here. It's absolutely incredible that it ended up looking as good as it does. Imagine if someone had had the balls to try this kind of stuff all the way back in, like, 1999. Then J.J. would have had more than 15 years of progress to build on, and TFA's digital effect might have looked even better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Another example of some of the innovative and boundary-pushing new filmmaking techniques that were pioneered by J.J. and the team for TFA:

That's right. Virtual sets! Can you believe it? Who could have ever thought of such a thing even being possible, say, ten years ago?

And remember, J.J.'s doing stuff that's never even been attempted before here. It's absolutely incredible that it ended up looking as good as it does. Imagine if someone had had the balls to try this kind of stuff all the way back in, like, 1999. Then J.J. would have had more than 15 years of progress to build on, and TFA's digital effect might have looked even better.

I heard they used cameras, too. Yet more proof of TFA not being as good as the lamestream media claims.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I heard they used cameras, too. Yet more proof of TFA not being as good as the lamestream media claims.

DIGITAL CAMERAS

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

Yet JJ Abrams actually got his actors to believe they were there and act it well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The actors did not actually believe they were flying a spaceship, vintersong.

They were pretending.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They were pretending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxWPxXczzA

It's almost like Lucas is a hack when he isn't being reigned in.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgxWPxXczzA

It's almost like Lucas is a hack when he isn't being reigned in.

This thought does not follow from the previous thought. Is this a default mode, like a screensaver?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just love Cnut being butt hurt and flinging that bullshit out. It's fun.

EDIT: "SEEEE GUYS -- JJ did it too! GOTCHA!!"

EDIT2: Literally this guy but about Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVOgPzXm7g

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 23, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

???

EDIT: ???

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Aww yea more JJ vs Lucas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOLD1bJVH7M&t=29m26s

Ewan Mcgregor: In the second star wars film there was a little boy who was playing Boba Fett. He had to come in the room and the door opened and he saw me and he had to be mistrusting of me and not like me very much. Anyway, it was just over and over take after take. And, um, I'm not suggesting the director didn't give him the help he needed...but he didn't, so I knelt down and said, "When the door opens just imagine I've done a really nasty fart and its really stinky in here." And they did the next take and it was perfect!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

????

EDIT: ???????

?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Vintersorg posted:

That video is a joke. Cnut's post is also a joke. Are your posts jokes? I'm not sure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Prolonged Priapism posted:

That video is a joke. Cnut's post is also a joke. Are your posts jokes? I'm not sure.

Keep believing Cnut is playing the puppet master.

"No one is THAT stupid. They gotta be joking."

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Keep believing Cnut is playing the puppet master.

"No one is THAT stupid. They gotta be joking."

Calm down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just prefer JJ Abrams style over Lucas'. If you feel vice versa, that's cool too.

We should get along instead of fighting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

This thought does not follow from the previous thought. Is this a default mode, like a screensaver?

It would have been easier to just say "yes."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So the working title of the next Star Wars is Space Bear.
Return of the Ewok?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I just prefer JJ Abrams style over Lucas'. If you feel vice versa, that's cool too.

We should get along instead of fighting.

J.J. Abrams's style is largely the same as Lucas's when it comes to special effects (except for the quite understandable fact that he uses fewer practical models and miniatures). The same is the case for almost every director working in Hollywood today, because Lucas and his company were hugely influential in developing and advancing various techniques and technologies that were innovative at the time but are now completely taken for granted by audiences, as if they came out of nowhere. That was my point.

Of course my pointing that out was going to start a fight. But that's not my fault, now, is it?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jerkface posted:

Aww yea more JJ vs Lucas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOLD1bJVH7M&t=29m26s

Ewan Mcgregor: In the second star wars film there was a little boy who was playing Boba Fett. He had to come in the room and the door opened and he saw me and he had to be mistrusting of me and not like me very much. Anyway, it was just over and over take after take. And, um, I'm not suggesting the director didn't give him the help he needed...but he didn't, so I knelt down and said, "When the door opens just imagine I've done a really nasty fart and its really stinky in here." And they did the next take and it was perfect!
Man, I wish Ewn Mcgregor would direct Episode IX

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Star Wars: When the thread opens just imagine I done a really nasty fart

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

They were pretending.

And they did it while referencing the TIE Fighter / X-Wing games

Mag Pulses - Check

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think we should be focusing on the fact that Ewan MacGregor apparently doesn't trust people who pass gas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cnut the Great posted:

J.J. Abrams's style is largely the same as Lucas's when it comes to special effects (except for the quite understandable fact that he uses fewer practical models and miniatures). The same is the case for almost every director working in Hollywood today, because Lucas and his company were hugely influential in developing and advancing various techniques and technologies that were innovative at the time but are now completely taken for granted by audiences, as if they came out of nowhere. That was my point.

Of course my pointing that out was going to start a fight. But that's not my fault, now, is it?

Lucas goes for a locked down, compositional style. Abrams is moving the camera every which way to heighten the action/drama.

I prefer camera movement over static locked down shots.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
So, moving on to a new topic--

Why am I wrong in thinking that the design of Han Solo's freighter (a central plot location, mind you) is mediocre to the point of being instantly forgettable?

(Sorry for the low image quality, but I don't think it makes much of a difference.)

I know I'm probably being horribly unfair to the film by hypocritically refusing to see the hidden aesthetic merits of its design philosophy. I apologize in advance, and submit myself willingly to the thread's incredulous scorn.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Han was slumming it for Weyland Yutani.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The entire sequence on that ship is strange. The end point is just to get Han & Chewie back on the Falcon, but it feels like something else should have come out of it.

I mean you got Rey loving around with hardware, but she'd already done that before and after on the Falcon. You get two references to the First Order tracking their position, yet there's another scene in Maz's bar where a spy informs the First Order where they are (despite the fact that Han & Chewie found them after like 5 minutes in space).

I guess they just wanted to stretch the time they had with Harrison Ford, but even them just chilling at Maz's probably could've gotten that done better.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Reminds me of Nuclear Throne's Disc Gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBBnSJMUgY

Gonna use Millennium Falcon as ammo, the most dangerous new super weapon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

computer parts posted:

The entire sequence on that ship is strange. The end point is just to get Han & Chewie back on the Falcon, but it feels like something else should have come out of it.

I mean you got Rey loving around with hardware, but she'd already done that before and after on the Falcon. You get two references to the First Order tracking their position, yet there's another scene in Maz's bar where a spy informs the First Order where they are (despite the fact that Han & Chewie found them after like 5 minutes in space).

I guess they just wanted to stretch the time they had with Harrison Ford, but even them just chilling at Maz's probably could've gotten that done better.

It's a bloated script. Somehow this is a controversial opinion.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cnut the Great posted:

Why am I wrong in thinking that the design of Han Solo's freighter (a central plot location, mind you) is mediocre to the point of being instantly forgettable?

(Sorry for the low image quality, but I don't think it makes much of a difference.)

I know I'm probably being horribly unfair to the film by hypocritically refusing to see the hidden aesthetic merits of its design philosophy. I apologize in advance, and submit myself willingly to the thread's incredulous scorn.

That ship really did jump out at me in the theater--it reads like a low-poly early space sim model, and I can only assume is trying to signal that Han's post-Jedi-massacre, post-Millennium Falcon life is so utterly drab and featureless that his ship is literally just a grey rectangle, floating through space. Ditto for why his crew is so utterly anonymous as to not only already be dead but also not even merit anything in the way of posthumous characterization.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the show looks like garbage because it's on a realistic (read: actually profitable) budget. They manage to get amazing visuals across occasionally, but most of the time it looks pretty drat low budget.

One of the things that bugs me is the shortcut with the Imperial officers and crew. They're all the same guy with a hat covering half their face. It throws me off when I see the same dude commanding a starship even though he was killed the previous week. They do the same thing with the Rebel pilots too, with their faces being covered by their helmets. I didn't care for how CW did that with the Republic officers being clones, but at least it was plausible.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ruddiger posted:

Han was slumming it for Weyland Yutani.

Naw. Weyland-Yutani's ships are massive, space-faring, industrial cathedrals.

Highly recognizable. Highly memorable. It's got a strong design sense. It's got character. Character is the most important thing, always.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a movie that was constantly being remade right up to release I think. They should get Chris Roberts to do a Star War.

Han's freighter is a flying hangar deck like the Flurry from 'Truce At Bakura' guys - corporate loves you. Canon is real.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No, it's tight and the quips are on point! How dare you.

Everything on Han's ship was really awkward and flat.
Still upset about those boulder monsters.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

I think the central flaw is not the design, but the lighting. Even the troop transports in ESB -- hardly inspiring, but still neat -- get well-lit in space. It doesn't need to be a work of art and it's better that it's not (Han's not doing well), but they let us see every other ship clearly, even in TFA. Why not that one?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, the ship designs were mediocre pretty much across the board, I feel, but that one in particular looked like it could've been from any 90s sci-fi show. I'm not too bothered by X-Wings and TIEs remaining in use, but I hope the Resistance actually gets some big ships in the next one, and just in general we see more ships. Technically from the movie itself(I'm sure some book or databank entry has something to say about it) we don't even know if Kylo's ship is the standard Star Destroyer of the First Order.

Cnut the Great posted:

Naw. Weyland-Yutani's ships are massive, space-faring, industrial cathedrals.

Highly recognizable. Highly memorable. It's got a strong design sense. It's got character. Character is the most important thing, always.

Yeah right. I don't even want to have a beer with, or write a Tumblr post about, the Weyland-Yutani ships.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like it because its a space whale shark that eats other ships. Han is the galaxy's big fish, who yearns to go back to the time before there was no one left in the galaxy for him to swindle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

I think the central flaw is not the design, but the lighting. Even the troop transports in ESB -- hardly inspiring, but still neat -- get well-lit in space. It doesn't need to be a work of art and it's better that it's not (Han's not doing well), but they let us see every other ship clearly, even in TFA. Why not that one?

Yeah, it's just Abram's style WRT deep space. If you look at the concept art a lot of the new ships are pretty cool.

Personally, I like the freighter because I could see that giant gap as like, a very clunky way to intercept ships; just straight swallow them up.

I bet somebody could make a post comparing his ship, Finn, Han, and using the poison gas to Pinocchio, the Whale, the craftsman, and using smoke to escape. I'm too tired to try, though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
To show that I'm not just determined to rag on TFA at all costs, allow me to restate my opinion that I like the design of Starkiller Base:

I think they did a good job harking back to the design of the original Death Star while at the same time not making it overly derivative. It's got personality. It's perverse and evil-looking in its own unique way.

My theory is that J.J. knew he was already skating on thin ice by bringing back yet another Death Star, and so he actually let his design team move out of the OT comfort zone a little bit when it came to coming up with ideas for the new Laser Moon.

There were a lot of talented concept artists working on this movie. It's very clear to me that whenever they were given freer reign to move away from the look of the OT, they did their best work on this picture. It's just a shame that that's apparently not what Disney thought the fans wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I figured we don't get a good look at the ship other than it being a mouth to swallow the Falcon because Finn is convinced it's the First Order. None of us probably thought as much but he certainly does. I also liked how it was just a giant shoebox that could never pull off a shadow of a maneuver. It's part of Han's awakening to get him back into something with a non-cosmic turning radius.

Looking at it here there's a lot more going on than you can pick up in the film: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eravana Can't really tell where the cockpit/bridge or engines are but I assume it's facing forward. The corner of the ship on the right side of the image looks like it may have a tiny, Falcon-like cockpit.

• Locked thread