Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookbook that's laid out like a sequential course, where you go through from beginning to end, making all the recipes, and when you finish...well, you've learned the content of the book? So many cookbooks seem to be laid out like encyclopedias, which are probably great once you're established, but my brain doesn't feel like it's there yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDoCkRUfMU

Gerblyn posted:

This sounds nice, do you think I could get away with normal cardamom pods instead of black ones?

It's a completely different beast. You can /do/ it but it won't taste like what it is that the recipe is posted as.

dino. fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The tahini / peanut butter similarity is such that you can put some peanut butter in your hummus, and it won't taste weird at all... just different. Try it!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hey guys, I'm looking for something to make and carry with me while I'm having fun with other insufferable nerds away from home for several days. Here's some criteria:

- I need to be able to make a while in advance and have it last for a couple days after, i.e. make on Thursday night last till Sunday night.
- Needs to fit in a tupperware or other food container and keep at room temp for that time.
- Finger food, or otherwise easy to eat with just a simple spoon or fork.
- Preferably not too heavy fare.
- Shareable would be nice, but not a requirement.

I feel like there's something really easy that fits all of that that I'm forgetting.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If just plain mixed nuts is too boring for you, Indians like to make a thing called chivda:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/cornflakes-chivda-recipe-makai-chivda/
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/spicy-chivda-poha/
http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Murmura-Chiwda-KhaanaKhazana.html

If you have other things that you like, such as sunflower seeds, puffed rice, or whatever else, those things are more than delicious too. It's sort of like deep fried trail mix that Indians use. If you can get your hands on sev (fried crispy chickpea flour noodles), that goes REALLY well in those mixes too.

There's also namak para:
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/namak-paare/

You can make it with some chickpea flour, and have it be healthier:
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/besan-paare-spicy-crackers/

There's thattai, which is one of my mum's favourites:
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/thattai-rice-crackers/

There's also medu vada:
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/medu-vada/

I've made medu vada before for a wedding shower, and had it be just fine in the middle of summer, after a 8 hour long drive.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Steve Yun posted:

So can I just make Kenji's pressure cooker risotto recipe and just leave out the cream

For what it's worth, this is what I did and it's amazing for the effort involved.

But then I have yet to do risotto the old fashioned way, so I don't know if it's better or worse.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Hey, speaking of nuts, I've been eating lots of walnuts and pecans for lunch (protein and fat yum, satisfying even in small amounts, doesn't need refrigeration, easy to eat on the go, etc), and have been trying differently spiced nuts to keep things interesting. Anyone have a great spiced nut recipe? Savory/spicy is preferred over sweet, but if you've got a killer sweet recipe I'll take it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jerky

Will you have a cooler or any method of refrigeration?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I don't know how the gently caress they do it, but the coconut cashew that my girlfriend got in her nature box was possibly the greatest flavored nut I've ever had in my life.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Hey, speaking of nuts, I've been eating lots of walnuts and pecans for lunch (protein and fat yum, satisfying even in small amounts, doesn't need refrigeration, easy to eat on the go, etc), and have been trying differently spiced nuts to keep things interesting. Anyone have a great spiced nut recipe? Savory/spicy is preferred over sweet, but if you've got a killer sweet recipe I'll take it.

I don't know any offhand but if you find a wasabi one that works well, please post it here. Those Diamond brand wasabi almonds just evaporate they're so addictive.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

When making chicken stock, how much fat do you want to skim?

I was skimming the scum off it, let it simmer for about 5 hours and now I've strained it so it's just the liquid, but there's definitely lots of clear fat at the top. Is that the gelatin that I want for the mouthfeel, or is that fat that I should just skim off and discard?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hogmartin posted:

I don't know any offhand but if you find a wasabi one that works well, please post it here. Those Diamond brand wasabi almonds just evaporate they're so addictive.

Someone please tell me how to make wasabi'd things, I have tried on my own but they never turn out like the wasabi coating on those oh so delicious wasabi peas.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

nwin posted:

I was skimming the scum off it, let it simmer for about 5 hours and now I've strained it so it's just the liquid, but there's definitely lots of clear fat at the top. Is that the gelatin that I want for the mouthfeel, or is that fat that I should just skim off and discard?

It's kind of personal preference and what you want to do with it. If you want to remove just the fat, chill the stock. The puck on top will be the fat; just break that up and skim it out. I don't think you really lose any gelatin or collagen or whatever by doing that; it should be dissolved into the stock.

Obligatory seriouseats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-rich-flavorful-easy-chicken-stock.html

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Micomicona posted:

OLD BAY OLD BAY OLD BAY OLD BAY

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

hogmartin posted:

It's kind of personal preference and what you want to do with it. If you want to remove just the fat, chill the stock. The puck on top will be the fat; just break that up and skim it out. I don't think you really lose any gelatin or collagen or whatever by doing that; it should be dissolved into the stock.

Obligatory seriouseats:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-rich-flavorful-easy-chicken-stock.html

AND COOK WITH IT, cook with your delicious rendered animal fats always, they are delicious.

i don't care if it's wrong or gross or whatever, i will never stop saving / using rendered animal fats.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I always chill the strained stock then pull the fat off the top. I try to get all of it. You want the stock to be as versatile as possible, so you want to be in control of the amount of fat that's in whatever you're making. By having your stock fat free (or nearly so) you can do that. It's the same reason you don't want to salt your stock.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

AND COOK WITH IT, cook with your delicious rendered animal fats always, they are delicious.

i don't care if it's wrong or gross or whatever, i will never stop saving / using rendered animal fats.

How long do you keep it around?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I like cold deli sandwiches, but I don't like paying $7.50-10.50 per pound. How can I make that sort of meat at home?

Like chicken, ham, roast beef, not cured stuff like salami.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I like cold deli sandwiches, but I don't like paying $7.50-10.50 per pound. How can I make that sort of meat at home?

This depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for what most people associate with cold cuts, then you'll need to do some science to grind the meat down, season it, and reform it. If you want your own home-made high quality cold cuts then just get good at roasting things to specific temperatures and invest in a slicer.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I tried to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQyRuOEKfVk

This morning with a nonstick pan. The eggs stuck like crazy so I hashed them up into a bit of a scramble instead. What did I do wrong?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

I tried to do this:

This morning with a nonstick pan. The eggs stuck like crazy so I hashed them up into a bit of a scramble instead. What did I do wrong?

Pan wasn't hot enough or not enough oil/fat/butter or your pan coating is hosed.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tots posted:

Pan wasn't hot enough or not enough oil/fat/butter

I actually thought this indicated it was too hot, so I appreciate the pointer. I'll try preheating it longer on medium before adding egg tomorrow. I'm thinking too little fat was an issue as well. Thanks

The pan is new Calphalon, and I think the coating is pretty decent normally.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Ferret King posted:

I tried to do this:

Not enough fat maybe?

Regardless, that video is driving me insane due to the fact that he uses nothing but metal utensils on his nonstick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

I tried to do this:

Probably not enough fat and maybe you had it on too high of a heat. That kind of omelet needs very gentle heat and just the right amount of egg for the size of pan so that it cooks just enough to have a soft inside when you fold it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tots posted:

Pan wasn't hot enough

BraveUlysses posted:

too high of a heat.

^Ok so this is the trouble I'm having with Googling the problem as well. Which is it? It was preheated on medium for a minute or two on a gas burner.

nwin posted:

Regardless, that video is driving me insane due to the fact that he uses nothing but metal utensils on his nonstick.

Boy the YouTube comments are all over it. Some say it's a fancy kind of pan where metal utensils are OK? Is that a thing?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

^Ok so this is the trouble I'm having with Googling the problem as well. Which is it? It was preheated on medium for a minute or two on a gas burner.

Boy the YouTube comments are all over it. Some say it's a fancy kind of pan where metal utensils are OK? Is that a thing?

Hah :D

Right in the middle. Place a drop of eggwhite in the pan, if it doesn't turn opaque immediately it's not hot enough, if it spits and spatters then it's too hot.

E: Also, if you're using butter then put the egg in when the butter is starting to foam and that should be a safe bet.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Perfect. Thank you. I'm only just learning that visual and audio cues are crucial to determining pan heat, and not simply the setting on the dial.

I'm gonna try it again in the morning.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

There are some. A buddy of mine has one called 'Scanpan' (http://www.scanpancookware.com/) that they claim can be used with metal utensils but she says that claim is basically bullshit (I don't have any details but I guess it scratches). My mom brought a ceramic-coated frying pan up last time she visited but I'm not sure what to use it for since I already have Teflon, cast iron, and stainless pans. Any ideas?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Ferret King posted:

Perfect. Thank you. I'm only just learning that visual and audio cues are crucial to determining pan heat, and not simply the setting on the dial.

I'm gonna try it again in the morning.
If your stove is gas, completely disregard the settings on the dial (other than "light burner"). They're meaningless garbage. Instead, always bend over and look at the size of the flame under the pan. It won't be even remotely linear with the dial.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

detectivemonkey posted:

How long do you keep it around?

In the fridge? It tends to last a week or so, but that's generally because I use it up. In the freezer it could last pretty much forever, though it'll probably take on weird freezer flavors if you leave it for months on end.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/nov/08/how-to-cook-the-perfect-fried-egg

This lady tested out several different recipes from several famous chefs and her conclusion is to cook eggs on low.

hogmartin posted:

There are some. A buddy of mine has one called 'Scanpan' (http://www.scanpancookware.com/) that they claim can be used with metal utensils but she says that claim is basically bullshit (I don't have any details but I guess it scratches).
Any non-stick pan that says you can use metal utensils is, as far as I can tell, full of poo poo.

quote:

My mom brought a ceramic-coated frying pan up last time she visited but I'm not sure what to use it for since I already have Teflon, cast iron, and stainless pans. Any ideas?

Put your teflon in a plastic bag and use the ceramic for a few years until it loses its nonstick properties, then throw away the ceramic and pull the teflon one back out of storage. Congrats, you got a few extra years out of your teflon!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tots posted:

This depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for what most people associate with cold cuts, then you'll need to do some science to grind the meat down, season it, and reform it. If you want your own home-made high quality cold cuts then just get good at roasting things to specific temperatures and invest in a slicer.

Thanks. If I do it the second way, is there any reason I can't just cut it with a knife after it's been roasted, as long as I don't mind the extra thickness?

I'm also not clear what the difference between baking and oven-roasting is.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. If I do it the second way, is there any reason I can't just cut it with a knife after it's been roasted, as long as I don't mind the extra thickness?

I'm also not clear what the difference between baking and oven-roasting is.

Baking and oven roasting are the same thing and you can use a knife for sure, but you'll miss those thin cuts. It makes a difference.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll give it a shot. I bought some black forest ham from Costco a couple times that was thick slices and really liked it. I'm talking like 1/2" slices.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Anne Whateley posted:

If your stove is gas, completely disregard the settings on the dial (other than "light burner"). They're meaningless garbage. Instead, always bend over and look at the size of the flame under the pan. It won't be even remotely linear with the dial.

Is it as simple as comparing the flame size at the highest setting, to the size at the lowest setting, and saying "the flame that's mostly in the middle of the two is medium?"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tots posted:

Baking and oven roasting are the same thing[...].
In general discussion baking and oven roasting both refer to dry (as opposed to e.g. braising), indirect (as opposed to broiling) cooking in an oven. But many ovens have distinct baking and roasting modes of operation, usually involving different duty cycles (how the oven turns the heating elements on and off to maintain temperature) and sometimes different elements.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Ferret King posted:

Is it as simple as comparing the flame size at the highest setting, to the size at the lowest setting, and saying "the flame that's mostly in the middle of the two is medium?"
At the lowest setting the flame is usually off. That's just one of the fun games stoves enjoy playing.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

It might be, but it's still kind of meaningless if you don't know how hot highest and lowest are. Use it as a starting point, but expect to tweak it as you experiment. By all means keep a log of settings/times/results if you're the kind of person who does that kind of thing, or else go by sensory cues if you aren't. After a few tries, you'll get a feel for where it should be either way. The only absolute that springs to mind is that full heat is only for boiling water and stir fry, everything else is somewhere else on that dial.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

SubG posted:

In general discussion baking and oven roasting both refer to dry (as opposed to e.g. braising), indirect (as opposed to broiling) cooking in an oven. But many ovens have distinct baking and roasting modes of operation, usually involving different duty cycles (how the oven turns the heating elements on and off to maintain temperature) and sometimes different elements.

Is there any standard for this that you know of? This is news to me.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

Nope, creaming is beating room-temp butter to aerate it, and then adding the sugar and beating until it is light in color and fluffy. That said, I have no idea why this recipe is doing that.

Well, it said that doing that would prevent the dulce de leche from sinking in the brownie batter. I made the recipe according to the step by step directions. The brownies came out tall but the dulce de leche was on the top and they taste fine. Thanks for your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tots posted:

Is there any standard for this that you know of? This is news to me.
I don't know of any real standard, but in general ovens that have distinct bake and roast modes distinguish the two by making bake the mode with the more even temperature control. So you might see an oven that only uses the bottom element for baking but cycles between the bottom and the broiler elements for roasting (the idea being that you'll get better browning on something in a roasting pan, theoretically better approximating cooking over a fire). Some convection ovens have an element back with the convection fan and use only that element for baking (so the food is never heated directly by any element). And so on.