Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, this was the big patch huh? Like this was the next big "wait for X.X patch" right?

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So they really just made the whole game a lovely capture the flag in space game.

109 million dollars and this is it.

edit : a lovely capture the flag game, with no combat in it, unless you hack things.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Meanwhile, an actual game is simultaneously going through maintenance for their X.2 patch release...

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c755d756aece79cc9707f5444ad0980ac2b5a39c

Pretty sure this won't be a 27 GB download either

Edit: The 3.1 patch for FFXIV was November 10th. They put together and included all of the above in less than 3.5 months. Guess they have good working content pipelines

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Okay, seems like a lot of loving nothing. Other than I like to think as a response to pgabz. (I know, others, but eh :pgabz:)

Oh, and a line about testing party system improvements?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lime Tonics posted:

So they really just made the whole game a lovely capture the flag in space game.

edit : a lovely capture the flag game, with no combat in it, unless you hack things.

I'm very excited to see Pgabz put it thru the paces.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I do wonder how it decides a ship is empty, or who should get the point for the destruction?

So, this was the big patch huh? Like this was the next big "wait for X.X patch" right?

Apparently there's more, including potentially some Star Marine stuff.

Also can someone tell me what the patch notes say?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319414/2-2-0-published-to-ptu

EDIT:
- Khartu is in the hangar: http://imgur.com/a/gBOUO
- Sabre is now flyable
- EVA is "improved"
- Maps now have 24 players
- Party system "revamped"

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 23, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Lime Tonics posted:

yeah its like the shittiest game mode ever only its the entire game.

Like I would see some really weird convoluted game modes in tribes and CS that modders worked on and sometimes I would think "hhuh this seems not very fun? but whatever". this sounds worse then all of them.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently there's more, including potentially some Star Marine stuff.

Also can someone tell me what the patch notes say?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319414/2-2-0-published-to-ptu

EDIT:
- Khartu is in the hangar: http://imgur.com/a/gBOUO
- Sabre is now flyable
- EVA is "improved"
- Maps now have 24 players
- Party system "revamped"

I posted it on the previous page. Where are you getting that star marine image from?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
congratulations to cig for the decision to punish the only meaningful interaction you can have with someone in their lovely tech demo while simultaneously bolstering the support from the type of sc backer who will never, ever leave

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I can't even, you want to PvP you'll end up space grounded. It's loving hilarious.

What next, pay real money for jail tokens.

jesus. I'm done for the night, I can't stop laughing.

paarp.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the star marine stuff has been confirmed as a bug, I think

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this whole game is a bug

a beautiful hilarious bug

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the star marine stuff has been confirmed as a bug, I think

But wait. Star Marine is in the game already. Ergo

alf_pogs posted:

this whole game is a bug

a beautiful hilarious bug

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I posted it on the previous page. Where are you getting that star marine image from?

Oh, I thought they had real patch notes instead of the marketing blurb.

The image is from Reddit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can't wait to find out if B'tak will be thrilled by this new system or if it somehow isn't nearly safe-spacey enough.

Me too. Some other B'takisms while we wait.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6392727/#Comment_6392727

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6392984/#Comment_6392984

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh, I thought they had real patch notes instead of the marketing blurb.

The image is from Reddit.

Ya, I think that marketing blurb is the patch notes. We both apparently have a different definition of that term.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I like how their biggest fear is that Star Citizen might possibly resemble a video game

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYfIKgIRGxI

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Why is the lighting so bad? Is the ship made out of black hole?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
crushing blacks

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Wafflz posted:

Getting kicked for being good at PVP :lol:

Did Captain B'Tak write this system?

Several weeks ago, I warned that B'Tak's idea of Star Citizen would be close to the truth. Here is the first step.

Star Citizens just want to look cool in their spaceship, they don't care about PvP or anything else. If they did, they'd worry more about combat mechanics than spaceship release dates.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cool that thing will be basically invisible in space

all the better to get KICKED OFF THE SERVER with

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Time to check the twitch streams gents!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
so CIG put a menu option for star marine in the patch, but when you click it, an error message comes up that says "unable to launch, the files are missing"

im dead

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

AugmentedVision posted:

I like how their biggest fear is that Star Citizen might possibly resemble a video game

the inclusion of this pvp punishment is honestly a step in the direction of making that thing a 'game', even if it's only an encouragement to not do something, by not doing it you are in fact winning at the 'game'. ergo, in their first significant step towards gameification, they've made the experience for the layman measurably worse. lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

so CIG put a menu option for star marine in the patch, but when you click it, an error message comes up that says "unable to launch, the files are missing"

im dead

SEE IT'S NOT CANCELLED JUST DELAYED INDEFINITELY

checkmate goonies

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
So wait, Star Citizen isn't just like any other MMORPG, but now they're introducing the "Criminal Class" which I can level up in? Colour me a little suspicious...

On the other hand, I do like that there are only five levels, suggests a really short "grind" to get to the master-crime-izen achievement.

And since they're right around the corner, how does it work once you've ascended past level 5 in a private server? Will you be allowed to prestige at level 0 again or just wait out the timer? Please help I don't understand game development.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

let us know if you find one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

SEE IT'S NOT CANCELLED JUST DELAYED INDEFINITELY

checkmate goonies

I cant tell if its meant to be some sort of weird tactic for saving face or just regular ol' incompetence. CIG makes it so hard sometimes.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

G0RF posted:

For what?

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Has there ever been a multiplayer game where being kicked off the server is a natural result of intended gameplay?

That's so bizarre. And so immersive! Ships pop out of thin air and criminals vanish into thin air. Or are sent to their room to think about what they've done.

e: I guess games like H1Z1 where you only have one life per match are sort of like that. But H1Z1 isn't trying to be a persistent MMO or simulate anything beyond shooting people.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hah they ripped off flight of the navigator with the new ship ladder floaty things. Nice 1

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Having never played this game, I can already think of several simple ways to bypass their anti-ramming system. That is, assuming it isn't broken as gently caress like everything else they've made. My only regret is not filling up my hard drive with this bad game and suffering through it to produce shitizen tears by locking them in their space bedrooms.

I'd bet the simplest thing is to go full speed ahead towards a target then exit your chair before impact. Since the player is no longer the ship the system probably won't be able to recognize who caused the collision. Or getting other players to sit in chairs on the same ship and seeing if you all get grounded. The possibilities are endless.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If you shoot people in this FPS, you can literally be prevented from playing for up to two minutes.

And if you FPS too much, you can be kicked from the server.

I imagine the "PvP is rape" crowd are loving CIG's exciting new direction.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can be anything in Star Citizen. But if you want to be a pirate then getting kicked out of the game is only natural.

Also, the com relay stuff is idiotic. So turning one off gives you criminal points, which ground you for a little while but in exchange now all the other goonies can now freely kill the suckers in that area? Well, I don't see any way to exploit that!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the only thing more unbelievable than a hundred million dollar company taking this thread seriously is a hundred million dollar company spending millions to appease forum poster captain b'tak

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BIG PATCH NOTES

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Would you kindly copy/paste that so those of us who are banned can actually read them?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Don't post them here pls, I heard on reddit that might be a crime

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

So that's it? They didn't fix anything, just instituted some retarded timers to do...something? Even if you are locked in your space bedroom, you can jump through your bed to go directly to the landing pad and steal another commando's chariot immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I'm beginning to think that maybe the 2.2 patch won't have most of the things CIG originally said it would.

• Locked thread