Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It looks like he's just in a mobile worker and I imagine this'll be a one-time thing showing his dedicating to the cause more than a shift to him being a pilot.

Maybe if Gusion hadn't been rebaked!
Or they kept a Man Rodi in storage instead of selling/totaling them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So looks like Ein's gonna be getting his wish for an AV system after all.

I find it interesting that apparently the wide-standing prejudice against cybernetics, even if only as a medical prosthetic, is ultimately the result of Gjallerhorn propaganda, to try and curtail the possibility of it being used against them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really hope Ein doesn't end up crazy because of the cybernetics. I also can't understand why the show is trying to play coy with the real purpose of the AV system 20 episodes in to what is at most a 26 episode season. They're going to have to reveal that poo poo in the next few episodes anyways and having McGillis act mysterious is just kind of grating at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I really hope Ein doesn't end up crazy because of the cybernetics. I also can't understand why the show is trying to play coy with the real purpose of the AV system 20 episodes in to what is at most a 26 episode season. They're going to have to reveal that poo poo in the next few episodes anyways and having McGillis act mysterious is just kind of grating at this point.

I think he's talking about how Gundams are optimised for A-V piloting (which is little-known in-universe, where the system is mostly just an excuse to make slave-workers capable of piloting mobile weapons without a long, expensive training process). And oh look, doesn't Gaelio just happen to have an immaculately-maintained Gundam Frame right there?

Basically, Ein's set to jump from being a no-name jobber to the single biggest physical threat to Tekkadan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Doesn't Gaelio already know about the AV system being optimized for Gundam piloting? I was sure McGillis had already discussed that with him after the first time they met Mika. Regardless I wouldn't say that Ein is about to make that drastic a jump, since he was about 2 seconds away from killing Shingo the last time he fought and is probably the most skilled enemy pilot in the show bar McGillis at this point. Not that that's saying much, but he's definitely more skilled than Gaelio at this point anyways.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

tsob posted:

To be honest, that is exactly what I'm expecting to happen. Ein gets the A-V System implanted, acts normal up until he suits up to pilot, and then goes plain crazy-pants nanners once the system gets rolling. All while Gaelio looks on in sheer horror at what he's done in order to help his subordinate fulfill his dream.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That would be super weird and inconsistent with the other AV system users we've seen. The side effects of the AV system that we've seen are the potentially lethal implantation process(which will likely be far less dangerous when done by Gjallarhorn's top doctors in a military hospital instead of via some rear end in a top hat with a rusty needle jamming it into a kid's back in a tent) and massive mental overload of the brain hemmoraging type when plugged into something advanced like a Gundam or a battleship. They don't seem to really affect the pilot's mental stability or personality at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair literally the only AV Gundam pilot we know is Mika and he's sort of hard to judge since he's already kind of crazy. I doubt they're gonna go "the Gundams have a dark secret" this late in the game though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair literally the only AV Gundam pilot we know is Mika and he's sort of hard to judge since he's already kind of crazy. I doubt they're gonna go "the Gundams have a dark secret" this late in the game though.

Is Akihiro not using the AV system for the Gusion?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Oh, you're right, I honestly forgot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tae posted:

So is Shingo. And Eugene, even if he's piloting a spaceship (two of them even at one point I think) and not a mobile suit. And all the Tekkadan kids have them, with several of them having used them on mobile workers in the past. It's considerably less strain than a mobile suit or spaceship is going to put on you, but they still count as pilots.

Edit: Oh wait, didn't see Gundam pilot specified in the original post. Never mind. Though I don't think piloting a Gundam makes much difference overall and hope it stays that way too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 23, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Gundams are said to be way above and beyond the complexity of the things like regular mobile suits, and the only thing that's seemingly matched the Gundams in terms of how bad the AV hits ya is Eugene doing two big rear end spaceships at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

So is Shingo. And Eugene, even if he's piloting a spaceship (two of them even at one point I think) and not a mobile suit. And all the Tekkadan kids have them, with several of them having used them on mobile workers in the past. It's considerably less strain than a mobile suit or spaceship is going to put on you, but they still count as pilots.

Edit: Oh wait, didn't see Gundam pilot specified in the original post. Never mind. Though I don't think piloting a Gundam makes much difference overall and hope it stays that way too.

Gundams at least are supposedly specifically designed to take advantage of the A-V system. (Which is why Ein is almost certainly getting the Gundam now that he's getting one.) Of course that probably just means they're optimized for them and nothing more than that, but I guess we'll see if McGillis was referring to a deeper secret or just the Gundam-AV connection.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AradoBalanga posted:

To be honest, that is exactly what I'm expecting to happen. Ein gets the A-V System implanted, acts normal up until he suits up to pilot, and then goes plain crazy-pants nanners once the system gets rolling. All while Gaelio looks on in sheer horror at what he's done in order to help his subordinate fulfill his dream.

My feeling is that if he's going to go crazy, he'll go crazy because he can't accept his new body for some reason despite having asked specifically about it in the past. Which might be mitigated somewhat if he doesn't just get the AV knuckles on his back, but some other big, obvious cybernetic parts. I hope I'm wrong, but the show has disappointed me enough over the course of it's run that I'm preparing myself for it just in case. Should it not happen then at least I'll have a pleasant surprise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The burden of the AV definitely hits Gundam pilots really hard but it looks like a physical phenomenon rather than a mental one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It comes across to me as mentally stressful to handle the sheer amount of data and sensation the system gives you and the nose bleed is just a physical sign of that stress so that it is a mental thing rather than a purely physical one, but not the kind of emotional trauma that would cause psychotic issues on it's own. At least so far.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Rejection of augmentation and disability is a recurring trend in sci-fi, especially settings that take place after a great disaster/war.

It's actually a neat concept to explore and try to unpack. I don't expect IBO to really do anything with it other than use it to inform the writing. I won't fault it for that either, but it's a topic I think will become more and more relevant as the actual technology for prosthetics and perhaps eventually enhancement rolls forward.

Basically I really really hope AV system implants don't make Ein crazy or suffer in any way other than normal psychological trauma from massive injury and limb loss. As well as dealing with the social stigma attached. Meanwhile I'd be really happy to see Gali Gali learn to be more accepting of prosthetics/the reality of the world they live in and make the swing to Team Montag IE informed Change and Progress.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Ein will only go crazy if they give him the Gundam Caim. :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's no real sensible narrative reason for Ein to need to go insane from implants(that are implanted in half the major cast, none of which have implant-related insanity issues). He's already fully committed to murdering the poo poo out of all of our protagonists with extreme prejudice, and it would be really dumb for them to throw out some of the first glimmers of character development that both he and Gaelio have ever had by turning him into a cackling madman.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ein'll be fine, gosh.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ein doesn't need to go crazy because he's already a huge rear end in a top hat. Like at this point I don't even think that flashback a few eps back was even really meant to make him sympathetic because it's pretty clear that he didn't really internalize poo poo that Crank tried to teach him, he was just intensely loyal to him for helping.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 23, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ein doesn't need to go crazy because he's already a huge rear end in a top hat. Like at this point I don't even think that flashback a few eps back was even really meant to make him sympathetic because it's pretty clear that he didn't really internalize poo poo that Crank tried to teach him, he was just intensely loyal to him for helping.

Yeah, seriously. He wants revenge for Crank and it's just purely for his self-satisfaction. There's no unfinished business of Crank's to deal with. If he wanted to honor Crank, he could fight for a world where kids wouldn't be pressed into becoming child soldiers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sextro posted:

Rejection of augmentation and disability is a recurring trend in sci-fi, especially settings that take place after a great disaster/war.

It's actually a neat concept to explore and try to unpack. I don't expect IBO to really do anything with it other than use it to inform the writing. I won't fault it for that either, but it's a topic I think will become more and more relevant as the actual technology for prosthetics and perhaps eventually enhancement rolls forward.

It'll probably become less relevant rather than more, given that neuro-plasticity basically guarantees that no matter what kind of prosthetic or enhancement you strap to your body your brain will accept it, because it's hard wired to accept such changes and move on. There's no reason to figure that anyone will ever have problems physically or mentally with such augmentations. They might have a mental or emotional problems with their injuries, but those would exist regardless of the prosthetics or augmentations. Social rejection of cybernetic augmentations is the only thing that might happen and maybe that's what you were referring specifically to, but it seemed more like you meant on a personal level.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
At this stage, there has to be a second season, right? 5-6 episodes just isn't enough to tie off all the plot threads is it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

At this stage, there has to be a second season, right? 5-6 episodes just isn't enough to tie off all the plot threads is it?

It's more than enough episodes to wrap up the Makanai arc and have the final battle between Gjallarhorn and Tekkadan/McGillis/anyone else trying to get rid of the corruption, especially if the climactic showdown happens in the Arbrau capital as Tekkadan are trying to get Makanai to the diet. The last episode or half-episode is enough for an epilogue showing how things are changing in Chryse.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ein apparently thinks that Crank offered the Tekkadan kids some kind of mercy, even though his stated mission was to tie up the loose end of them all being alive.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ein is a idiotic hypocrite who at this rate die an angry idiotic hypocrite who learns nothing. He is someone who is already not quite right in the head and finding large chunks of his body replaced with robot parts isn't going to calm him down. He might have asked for a VAS, but he didn't ask for this. When he fights Mika again and loses, that's when he completely breaks down. Suicide by Mika is what I want to see, but there is an avenue for him to get out of this via Montag using him as an ace in the hole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Ein apparently thinks that Crank offered the Tekkadan kids some kind of mercy, even though his stated mission was to tie up the loose end of them all being alive.

Ein is right though. Crank did offer them mercy. He specifically went out and was like "hey, hand over Kudelia and we'll sweep the rest of this under the rug."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like there's two potential endgame suits for Ein - the Kimaris Trooper, a version of the Gundam Kimaris that's apparently been given the Rebake treatment, and this freakish-looking monstrosity, which apparently used to be a Graze.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Huh. I wonder if Ein is getting the weird Graze instead of the Gundam. It looks more like something he'd pilot after being cyber'd up.

The Trooper is just as viable for him though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Looks like there's gonna be a side story manga, featuring the Gundam Astaroth

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

That arm glows with an awesome power.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh. I wonder if Ein is getting the weird Graze instead of the Gundam. It looks more like something he'd pilot after being cyber'd up.

The Trooper is just as viable for him though.

That would be my guess. An upgraded Graze seems right up his alley and the visuals/motif of patchwork robot bits contrast both his new upgrades and Barbatos.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I love centaur robots so I am quite excited for the new Kimaris.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Looks like there's gonna be a side story manga, featuring the Gundam Astaroth

Let me guess, Tokita's behind it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supposedly there was confirmation of a second season in a few places but no actual official announcement. Daisuki's newsletter mentioned that 'we're approaching the climax of the first half" though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was on the train of "you can end series in 26 episodes" but that was back in episode 13 or something. They have introduced plots and characters since then that go way beyond what's left in the episode count, and unlike G Req which felt sped up, IBO is still sticking to the same pace it's always been on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm very apprehensive of a second season because there's no loving way this show doesn't go through some executive meddling in-between. I'd feel much better about it if not for that prospect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm very apprehensive of a second season because there's no loving way this show doesn't go through some executive meddling in-between. I'd feel much better about it if not for that prospect.

Yeah, a second season isn't a bad thing, a second season where executive meddling steps in to make sure it is more profitable would be worrying as hell.

"Alright guys. We like Mika but we think it would be better if the AV system gave him psychic powers and empathy with others. Barbatos is pretty cool but could it fight more? Maybe once every episode? We've got this great design for a beam hammer that would go great with our new model kits. Kudelia isn't a bad character but we think she might resonate more if she decided to communicate pacifism through the power of song. Also, and stick with me here, what if Mika gets a girlfriend on the other side who is an artificial AV user and he has to try to rescue but she tragically dies and that sets him down the road to never killing his opponents!"

That said maybe it could break the second season curse and just keep doing what it was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, the trend is already changing since next anime season isn't a new show, it's a rehash of Unicorn.

• Locked thread