Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

No deal. Yu is experienced with lying for his own benefit. He should know when it's being done to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Press button lose money, maybe you'll get that one in a million shot

Also note that per your college rejection only 5% of high school graduates go on to college in China. It's unlikely 60 intelligence is enough to swing higher education for your boy Yu.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

gbuchold posted:

Also note that per your college rejection only 5% of high school graduates go on to college in China. It's unlikely 60 intelligence is enough to swing higher education for your boy Yu.

I don't think this is something like "you have to have intelligence of 95+ to be able to go to college". There's presumably confounding factors, like the fact that so many Chinese simply can't afford to go to college regardless of how smart they are.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Take the deal.

Best case scenario, the deal is a scam, there's a lot of hurt feelings and violent actors involved, and Yu ends up in a Coen Brothers-type small-time heist/scam gone wrong. Yu could really shine in such an environment.

Also, let's not forget to ask for a raise, then ask for a raise again then perhaps consider asking for another raise.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No deal.

I don't think someone like Yu would blind-trust a friend when it comes to money.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
No Deal

Yu is no rube.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
No deal. I don't see Yu trusting someone like that.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Hang Yu, part ten

It turns out that you can indeed bullshit a bullshitter. Hang Yu swears eternal revenge on his business associate :argh:

As far as I know, this events only exists to be a trap. It is also a rather bad trap, since the game outright says "HEY THIS IS A BAD IDEA DON'T CLICK THAT YES BUTTON YOU FOOL." I've literally never ever had a positive outcome of that event, if any of you who've played this game has gained something from this, do tell! I'll be ignoring this event from now, unless any of you have strong feelings otherwise.

Age 23

Yu is literally in too poor physical shape to manage the highly exerting job of looking inside shipping containers or whatever. :laugh: It is too bad that he is too fat and lazy to hold an occupation with such great bribe-taking potential.

Age 24

This realisation of his pitiful physical shape leads Yu to make an important change in his life: He gives up on stupid boring books, and instead commits to be a lazy sack of poo poo in front of the television.

Age 25-28

Little happens in Yu's life. He enjoys his life in the city, taking every chance he can to cut corners in his career, earning a a reputation as a highly effective albeit underhanded and unsavoury force to be reckoned with within the firm.

Age 29

While this girl has a hilarious name, she is neither pretty nor intelligent enough for Yu.

Age 31

Another heart broken by Hang Yu. Much too plain, and Yu doesn't care for girls who could beat him in a fight with one arm tied around their backs.

Age 32

Another famine.

Once again, Yu really doesn't care.

There is a violent uprising in another part of the country. Yu thanks his lucky star that he hasn't been in the army for ten years, and promptly switches the channel.

Events like these occur in random provinces of the country: There being heavy fighting in Jiangsu of all places doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to be quite honest.

Age 33

Ugly, and too much of a goody-two-shoes. Could in all likelihood kick his rear end, too.

Age 34

Ohhhh maannnnn this event :bahgawd: This happens semi-randomly as long as you have a decent income and is probably the most annoying thing in the game. It randomly increase one of the expenditure categories at least one level, usually putting your total expenses way over your income. Not only is it annoying busywork to reduce it again, but it also means you're running a pretty big deficit for the current year. Because your spending is budgeted monthly and every turn is one year, this tends to mean you lose a large part of your saved money.

This time it wasn't so bad, just bumping up his food consumption a bit. With his current income Yu can actually afford it, and it seems in character for him to be unable to hold on to money. Usually the event seems to bump up consumer goods spending, which is terrible since the increments are really large.

Age 35

Yu's mother passes away, 78 years old :smith:

Any guilt over not calling his mother for several years that Yu might have felt upon hearing the news is quickly assuaged when he learns that he stands to inherit a significant sum of cash.

Age 36

The fighting in Jiangsu ends after four years.

An acquaintance and business associate of Yu's is arrested on trumped up charges by the secret police. Yu has an opportunity to help him out, as one of the local party officials owes him a favour after he helped him out by giving him a discount on some goods that "fell off the back of a truck", so to speak. Should he do it?

Yu is rapidly approaching middle age, and the strains of his lifestyle is beginning to show. He has amassed a decent sum of money though, especially after his inheritance. (200 000 yuan is roughly equal to $26 700)

Remember how I snarked about his family owning two radios back when he was a kid? Well, Yu has two television sets and two radios all by himself.

Voting time!

Will you help protect his neighbour from the government?

Also, I know it has been up for a vote many times, but we are quickly reaching the point were it will be too late for Yu to have children. One last time: Should he try to pursue a marriage and possibly a child while there is still time?

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 24, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
gently caress no, don't help anyone. Yu looks out for himself, you want he should end up in a prison cell for the rest of his life?

As for romantic entanglements, wait until he's 40 and then go after the first option you get.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Edit: gently caress, nevermind, update happened while I posted.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No to helping. Its say its just a neighbor n not a friend. Besides what happened last time we helped a friend?

No to Romance. Obviously no woman has yet met our standards. Better nothing than sub-par. If we can't find a suitable bride. Why contribute to China's overpopulation of dumb ugliness?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Every man for himself If he didn't want to go to prison, he should have been more careful.

Yes to marriage Yu has no need for love, but im sure kids give some sort of tax break or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Obey the commands of the party. In other words: that guy is unimportant. Saving him would only lower our maxed out ruthlessness stat.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That neighbour never did poo poo for Yu, so rat him out to the Party

Also, Yu is about as deep as a puddle, so unless she's purty as a princess, or fabulously wealthy, she can stay in the gutter.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Last time we listened to a friend we lost our money. No

There's someone out there that will meet Yu's standards.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

gently caress no, don't help anyone. Yu looks out for himself, you want he should end up in a prison cell for the rest of his life?

As for romantic entanglements, wait until he's 40 and then go after the first option you get.

This!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress that guy, Yu only looks out for number one.

Take any woman you can get. We don't want to die a virgin :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Besides the fact that the guy is kinda lonely, he seems to have a reasonably nice life. I guess it is simply because his poor father literally broke his back for him. But he has two TVs for himself, a cozy job which isn't physically taxing and earns him twice as much as the average chinese person.
Yes smoking and breathing Shanghai air isn't helping his health, but who needs health anyway?

I consider this run a win.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Now that I think of it, is it possible to just get hit by a car at any point when living anywhere near a road? I think we've only seen random bullshit in the form of illnesses so far.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Air is lava! posted:

Besides the fact that the guy is kinda lonely, he seems to have a reasonably nice life. I guess it is simply because his poor father literally broke his back for him. But he has two TVs for himself, a cozy job which isn't physically taxing and earns him twice as much as the average chinese person.
Yes smoking and breathing Shanghai air isn't helping his health, but who needs health anyway?

I consider this run a win.

If I remember from my one attempt at the trial version of Real Lives 2007, I made a girl in Haiti or Jamaica or something who ended up managing to move to NYC before I stopped.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Obviously Yu is not going to help his friend.

As for love, I propose you go for the first woman you encounter with Appearance > 65, conscience < 25, gradually relaxing these standards as time goes on. Any woman with sizable financial assets should obviously be swept up no matter what.

He does have a good life and that is good, but I was hoping he would be at least on his way toward being a terrible despot by now :(

Someone on the subreddit managed to get stupid rich before dying of aids in the 2010 version. Another managed to die immediately (sadly probably quite common) while another let his conscience get the better of him and ran afoul of Syrian state security.

What a cool game.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 23, 2016

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Hang Yu, part eleven

gently caress you, Yu's got his.

It was a long time coming I suppose, but you finally got what I know you were hoping for, you bastards! :rubshands:

Age 37

Yu is now officially an alcoholic salesman!

Age 38

Finally Yu gets a chance to commit some petty crime! It would have been a shame if we hadn't gotten any of these events, with him of all people.

Yu gets away with almost $1100 worth of goods! :ninja:

Age 39

:fuckoff:

Age 40

Violence erupts again, this time in the Jilin province this time it makes more sense as it is in a border area, at least.

Yu now has a telephone as well, to add to his collection of surplus electronics! :toot: He also seems to have developed a slight bit of a conscience in his older years, but maybe that is just the booze talking?

Not looking in tip-top shape there, bud! :ohdear: I'll also have to remember to find more stuff to spend money on next update, all that disposable income must be burning a hole in his pocket.

Speaking of which, let's talk about investments! During the course of the game, you can place your money in a whole slew of different investment options. This will not only (hopefully) allow you to increase your wealth over time, but also makes you less susceptible to robberies and and burglaries and all that bad stuff. A bank account is the basic form of investment: It gives a very small amount of interest each year, but is also almost completely risk free (though not entirely, as forums user gbuchold kindly informed me). There is really very little point to not constantly have all your money in the bank. Other options have varying amounts of interest and risk, and also carry a slight chance that the investment will lose all its value overnight. Much like real world investments, diversification is a good thing!

The full list of options is: Bank account, jewellery, land, high/medium/low risk stock, high/medium/low risk mutual fund, and bond funds.

You can also take out loans at varying degrees of interest (potentially useful for say, getting through college), loans are capped at three months' income or a quarter of your total network. I've never seen much reason to take out loans to be honest.

This is also a good time to mention that Real Lives has no concept of public pensions (although you can get subsidised food and housing if you're lucking enough to live in a country with decent social security), so if you insist on living to a ripe old age you'd better hope that you saved up enough moolah if you don't want to spend your last years eating dog food or living on the streets.

With that in mind, your task for now is to suggest an investment plan for Yu! Tantalising stuff, I know, but this was a good time to break off the episode. I'm unsure if I'll be able to get the next part out tomorrow, but at the rate Yu's going I'd be surprised if he's got very many updates left in him :(

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 24, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
High risk stock, all available funds. Yu's beginning to circle the drain, so no need to plan for the future, and maybe a sudden influx of money will subdue his sudden influx of conscience.

In the unlikely event the high-risk stock pays off, Yu can borrow against his new wealth pile and spend even MORE money before he dies.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 23, 2016

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

Pillbug
Bank accounts aren't risk free. It is possible - though unlikely - to have a bank account lose all value.

e: and yeah, Yu doesn't really have to worry about retirement.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

gbuchold posted:

I don't think this is something like "you have to have intelligence of 95+ to be able to go to college". There's presumably confounding factors, like the fact that so many Chinese simply can't afford to go to college regardless of how smart they are.

Yeah, I'm wondering what the relationship is between the national percentage of college students and the intelligence requirements - it definitely differs from country to country but I have no idea what the correlation is. I don't think that the stats should be interpreted as the percentile of your age group you're in either. Fuzzy statistics like these hurt my brain a bit :shobon:

Aithon posted:

Now that I think of it, is it possible to just get hit by a car at any point when living anywhere near a road? I think we've only seen random bullshit in the form of illnesses so far.

Oh yeah, you can absolutely die in most ways you could think of, although it is much more uncommon than disease. It is also quite jarring when it happens, since accidents are by their nature sudden and unexpected. In one of my test runs before starting this LP I was playing as a poor farmer boy in India who lucked out in being athletic enough to pursue a career as a professional athlete. I had planned for him to move to the UK and everything, but then he randomly drowned at age 23. I also played as a syrian woman whose two-year-old daughter died in a fire :smith:

gbuchold posted:

Bank accounts aren't risk free. It is possible - though unlikely - to have a bank account lose all value.

Huh thanks, that's interesting to know, I'll update the post to reflect this! I just remembered being unreasonably annoyed when an investment in a low risk mutual fund (supposedly an index fund) suddenly lost its entire value. Index funds don't work that way :saddowns:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Covski posted:

I just remembered being unreasonably annoyed when an investment in a low risk mutual fund (supposedly an index fund) suddenly lost its entire value. Index funds don't work that way :saddowns:

Sounds like the world economy crashed overnight in that particular play through. That's why everyone should always invest in gold!

No one should ever invest in gold

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Become a land shark owner that's where you get all the real money.

Buying stocks in China is a hilariously bad idea, so that'd be my second choice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Put all your money into real estate. Might as well do what all the real Chinese are doing! Y'know, when they're not trying to smuggle their money out of the country.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

Pillbug
Investment in general doesn't work the way it works in this game. Honestly once I had a bank account zero out I stopped using it entirely unless crime was a major threat. 2010 is better about this.

e: in my limited experience.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Put all your money into real estate. Might as well do what all the real Chinese are doing! Y'know, when they're not trying to smuggle their money out of the country.

If only we had "buy AMC theaters" money.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Covski posted:

Events like these occur in random provinces of the country: There being heavy fighting in [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangsu]Jiangsu[/url] of all places doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to be quite honest.
Messed up the URL tag here.

As for investments, get some bling to match the time and effort we're putting into appearances.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Antitonic posted:

Messed up the URL tag here.

Thanks, fixed it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Real Estate.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Invest in Jewels

God drat if my man Yu won't be dripping in diamonds and pearls

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
How long until we see any kind of return on investment?

Because if it's more than a few years, I might change my vote to Jewelry so that Yu can be buried in magnificent finery.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Hang Yu, part twelve

Age 40

Yu puts his money in a diverse portfolio of investments, although it is unclear if the gaudy jewellery he insists on wearing on his late night booze cruises with his fellow alcoholic workmates can really be classified as "investments" in the true sense of the word.

He is now earning enough cash to buy everything he could ever dream during his childhood years as a miner's son in a podunk village. So what if he has to cut back on his eating habits a bit?

Age 41

The border skirmishes end.

Age 42

Then suddenly out of nowhere, near closing time at a fancy bar, he meets the woman of his dreams. She's the most beautiful woman Yu has ever seen, and if she was american her name would literally be Dollar. :swoon: Yu is swept off his feet.

Luckily she, for whatever reason, feels the same way about him!

Romantic relationships is another factor that can take up your spare time.

Yu finally decides to give up his violin playing, he wasn't even that good anyway.

I realise now that I made a mistake here, and accidentally chose socialising instead of fashion out of habit. I'll correct this before the next update.

Age 43

Once again, famine strikes.

This time however, riots break out in Beijing as the government imposes strict rationing. Yu's home is caught in the crossfire as riot police and rioters battle it out.

The damages and looting costs Yu almost his entire life savings.

It's a good thing Yu had most of his money stashed away in investments that he now has to liquidate. :sigh:

(I'm actually rather certain that you never stand to lose more money from these events than your total cash + investments)

As you can see, Yu made a marginal profit from his land investment, a slight loss on the jewellery, and earned quite a bit on his stocks.

It might be the case that a high intelligence is a factor when calculating how your investments go, but that is just as likely confirmation bias speaking.

Yu is asked if he would like to help out with reversing the damages from the riots which caused him most of his fortune. He tells them in no certain terms to go gently caress themselves.

However, Yuan has stayed with him through one of his darkest patches, and one night drunk on both love and scotch Yu asks her to marry him on the spur of the moment.

She accepts. Yu passes out on his bed shortly afterwards. Maybe Yuan is the type of girl who wants a bad boy that she can fix? :iiam: The very next week they are married in a for Yu uncharacteristically simple ceremony.

Usually engagements in this game can last for several years, so getting married right off the bat after this event is quite uncommon.

She is four years his junior, and she even has a pretty decent career going for her.

With their combined salaries, they can even afford to move into a much nicer new place together.

Age 44

Then, suddenly, she drops the bomb on him.

Together, they are pretty drat wealthy couple! It's a shame a lot of Yu's home electronics were lost in the Bejing riots of 2050.

Yu isn't looking in great shape and his net worth took quite the turn for the worse, but in many ways his life has turned out for the better. :unsmith:

Voting time!

Well, Yu's life took an unexpected turn! I was honestly surprised myself, but how could I reject a beautiful girl who was named after the local currency? The elephant in the room, or rather in Yu's wife belly, remains though: Is Yu ready to take on the responsibility of bring a new life into this world?

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 24, 2016

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
Yu is always ready! I say let's have a baby, what could possibly go wrong?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
With the way Yu's health is going, it's time to consider his legacy. Yu's gotta make certain that kid is raised right. For, uh, certain definitions of "right".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Have baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can we be the horrible stereotype and only want it if it is a son? Cause our conscience is still awful.

• Locked thread