Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Might buy this soon. Someone convince me and someone talk me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

WickedHate posted:

no

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I wouldn't give these guys money before there's some substantial content that is not just repurposed Relic assets. If they can get a faction like Eldar up and running, who were not in Space Marine, then I'll believe they can deliver on their (new) promise.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Do what I did. Buy it. Play it for an hour or so, laugh at how terrible it is and get a refund. Or you might like it and keep it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

I wouldn't give these guys money before there's some substantial content that is not just repurposed Relic assets. If they can get a faction like Eldar up and running, who were not in Space Marine, then I'll believe they can deliver on their (new) promise.

This is what I'm waiting on before I drop any dollars, I want to see what this team's capable of when they have to make their own poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Ok it's bad don't buy it.

Or buy it, whatever.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WickedHate posted:

If you liked Space Marine multiplayer pick this up. It's really that simple.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'd have a much better time if their servers were more stable but everything is all janky and laggy most the time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BadLlama posted:

I'd have a much better time if their servers were more stable but everything is all janky and laggy most the time.

Such is the nature of the warp, even reality bends to its capricious will. Clearly you're not Grey Knight material.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

They somehow managed to make their netcode work worse than the poo poo show that was Space Marine MP. I really do hope they can iron out all the jank because having a new Space Marine MP game would be pretty loving great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
First look at Eldar, starts at 30:00 and goes to 35:00 for pertinent info. They show off relative size against a SM at 44:00.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That looks pretty decent. It seems to be marine animations they're using based on the way they roll like fatties and the way they run like they're pretty heavy. It still works though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah they said they'll have Eldar specific animations for pretty much everything.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My friend is completely bought into the WH40K universe. He does not play the tabletop game, but he reads the books, loves all the video games, and bought the $200 early access pack without thinking twice about it. The current build of the game runs terribly on his ancient C2Q 6600/4GB RAM/Radeon 6870 setup. He has a Devil's Canyon i5 and motherboard on the way (got a smoking deal on it), but no new graphics card yet. He will be playing at 1080p. This game will be ported to consoles, and appears to be built on Unreal Engine 4. Is it safe to assume that something like a GTX 950 will run this game at max settings, or should he spend the extra money on a 960/970/980?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Its okay to admit that you spent $200 on this bad game.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Looks like the MOBA is donezo

https://www.darknexusarena.com/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Total shock. Also totally unrelated.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Verbose posted:

I tried it a few weeks ago, game seemed aggressively bad in almost every way except controls which were acceptable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Verbose posted:

I only saw the game played over a friends stream. He defended the game adamantly as being very good, but it looked extremely basic and seemingly had zero balance at all. I don't even mean "normal balance problems that come with early builds". I mean whole systems were fundamentally imbalanced against a certain class. Melee guys could just walk forward mashing out their skills and one shot any ranged character. There was no reason to pick anyone but Kharn and just go super ham.

At the time, my friend defended it with "melee isn't OP, I'm just that good", as he just waddles in and solos their whole team. I think 40k could make an amazing setting for a MOBA, and I'm a huge 40k fanboy, but that game objectively looked like poo poo in every way. Especially when there are at least 3 good MOBAs occupying that market already, you have to bring your A-game.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Verbose posted:

Still not as bad as Wrath of Heroes.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Zaodai posted:

I only saw the game played over a friends stream. He defended the game adamantly as being very good, but it looked extremely basic and seemingly had zero balance at all. I don't even mean "normal balance problems that come with early builds". I mean whole systems were fundamentally imbalanced against a certain class. Melee guys could just walk forward mashing out their skills and one shot any ranged character. There was no reason to pick anyone but Kharn and just go super ham.

At the time, my friend defended it with "melee isn't OP, I'm just that good", as he just waddles in and solos their whole team. I think 40k could make an amazing setting for a MOBA, and I'm a huge 40k fanboy, but that game objectively looked like poo poo in every way. Especially when there are at least 3 good MOBAs occupying that market already, you have to bring your A-game.

Which market is this specifically? How many different flavors of moba are there?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Friend of mine got early access to this and keeps defending it too. Two days later he reinstalled planetside2 lol.

I'm only buying this if/when they make it persistent and masive.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Which market is this specifically? How many different flavors of moba are there?

There is only one flavor. The flavor of autism.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

neonbregna posted:

There is only one flavor. The flavor of autism.

You can have math autism for damage and armor calculations. Or lore autism for meaningless character back stories and universe BS that tries to explain why wolves and golems burst into gold coins. And even artistic autism for those talented people who can draw cartoons lezing out with lady animals. Or write a short story about God I don't even want to know.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
MOBA market is too saturated. People still want WH40K in some kind of RPG aspect. If some studio made an action RPG crossover of Alien Swarm/DoW2/Diablo3/Grim Dawn at $30 price point, they could probably clean house. Rifts could theoretically be space hulk runs. The only real problem is the whole class faction issue because you cant step on lore spergs' toes. Big props if they try to push it the Lost Ark game designs.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Battlefleet Gothic is actually turning out to probably be a good 40k game we can add that to DoW as the "Good" Warhammer games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I still have some hope that Deathwing will be good, or at least playable. I haven't kept up with its progress though. And on the Fantasy side, Total Warhammer should be out in a few months.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
There's a Diablo-y 40K game coming too but the video I saw looked way too slow to be fun. Also you play as an Inquisitor for some reason. I feel like the perfect setup for a hack-and-slash game would be Chaos, then you have all the explanation you need for going places and killing thousands of anythings to collect powerful gear for your sole use. Spec out your character with mutations.

Battlefleet Gothic is going very well as a naval RTS. Seems like balance may be an issue, but there's a surprising amount of depth in the ship customization and combat. Dedicate your ships to Slaanesh and enemy captains are more likely to disobey orders, forcing an execution by their player.

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2016

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
The big two I've always wanted are a 40k 4x game that I can play with friends and a 40k Total War game. I wouldn't even care about getting milked for cosmetic dlc's, just let me command armies and planets and smash things.

It'll never happen but I can hope.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also somebody is making an Eisenhorn party RPG, but I forget whom.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Orv posted:

Also somebody is making an Eisenhorn party RPG, but I forget whom.

Go on.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, so in the process of looking up the Eisenhorn game, I found this list and... well, GW sure license a lot of games that are not very good: http://licensing.games-workshop.com/video-games/

Anyway, here's the Eisenhorn teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THI4eX3j1A

It's Batman, but Eisenhorn, and it looks okay? Huh. That's a surprise!

Something else stood out on the list of crappy games.

quote:

Man O’ War: Corsair.
Captain a wide variety of unique sailing vessels, explore and trade whilst combating enemy ships in frantic naval action. There are not only ship’s cannons at you disposal; you can control powerful wizards who cast deadly spells, hire sharpshooters to target enemy crew from afar, and command Griffons and other lethal flyers.
:frogon:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 18, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
The fact that it's a simultaneous iOS/Android/PC release is a little worrying, but apparently Eisenhorn will be voiced by Mark Strong so :dong:.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It's all downhill after plants vs zombies warhammer40k edition.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Color me surprised when I tried this and it wasn't total poo poo. It's janky and unfinished in a lot of places, but it's not quite terrible. The bad news is that the space marine multiplayer was way better, they really should copy it more. The general speed of the combat is too fast and the ttk is too low in a lot of places, so it feels more like battlefield or call of duty or something, and as a result doesnt' have the oomf that space marine had. The mechanic for the lascannon is weird and the heavy bolter, while decent, is worse and much more pigeon-holey than space marine. You're sorta relegated to sitting in a corner or being a turret, while being fodder for the jump marines. Since the heavies don't have the stun-stomp they had in space marine, they're just dogmeat whenever someone swoops in with a sword and spastically one-shots pretty much everything. It has a lot more potential than i expected though, I hope they'll fix stuff, but it seems they've gone in a more 'classic' fps route, which I personally think is a shame.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I still have some hope that Deathwing will be good, or at least playable. I haven't kept up with its progress though. And on the Fantasy side, Total Warhammer should be out in a few months.

Isn't Deathwing made by the crazy fuckers that did EYE? It's confirmed GOAT if I'm remembering correctly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Isn't Deathwing made by the crazy fuckers that did EYE? It's confirmed GOAT if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, it's by the guys who did EYE. Which wasn't a bad game, just a bit clunky.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
EYE was a crazy acid trip of an FPS.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stanley Pain posted:

EYE was a crazy acid trip of an FPS.

Eye was an absolute acid trip, but the style and sensibilities kind of line up with what I would expect for what is already effectively a bootleg 40k inquisition game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Having fun with this - they added Multimeltas and Power Mauls. They also optimized it, so it doesn't run like poo poo anymore.

This is cool and good.

• Locked thread