Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hcreight posted:

Some cable companies--including mine--also make you pay a ridiculous monthly fee for any additional boxes instead of allowing you to buy said lovely cable boxes outright, meaning you probably pay more in a few months than what the box is actually worth. Now imagine this in a house or an apartment with several TVs where cable is digital-only (which requires a box for every TV).

In my last apartment -- which was serviced by Charter, sadly the best of the cable giants, I feel -- we had a single coax feed into our unit, but when the initial installer put the thing in, he included a three-jack splitter: TV1, TV2 and Internet. Except we only paid for one box. So, being enterprising, I ran cable from the TV2 jack in the splitter into the TV in our bedroom. So while we didn't have a channel guide or anything, we still got the basic 65 or whatever channels.

I had to call Charter back a year or so later because our Internet service was on the fritz. One of the techs looked at the splitter, did a quick check on his little console device, disconnected that second coax cable and put some sort of a boot or something on the TV2 jack without even telling us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

How far in are you?

That's what she said

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Scandal is like someone gave the writers room of a soap opera twelve bricks of cocaine and told them to write a John Grisham novel, it's amazing

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DivisionPost posted:

How far in are you?

I'm a couple of episodes after the assassination attempt. He's still not woken up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Season 2? I like how s1 was relatively normal before the fun really started. I never got time to watch from s4 onwards, I hope it's still wonderfully batshit.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea it still is pretty batshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm a couple of episodes after the assassination attempt. He's still not woken up.
It's all the tropes from Grey's Anatomy turned up to 11.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress you X-Files and Chris Carter and gently caress loving cliff hangers jesus christ eat my dick

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Watching the first episode of Night Court on the LAFF channel, and it actually looks like I'm watching it on a tv from 1984. Shouldn't there be better quality versions to broadcast?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

Watching the first episode of Night Court on the LAFF channel, and it actually looks like I'm watching it on a tv from 1984. Shouldn't there be better quality versions to broadcast?

I believe a lot of that depends on how they actually shot the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, this first episode of X-Files is bad. I guess for some reason I was expecting it to be "bad X-Files bad" and not just regular bad.

Edit: also, is it really a soft reboot that retcons all of the times they for sure actually saw proof of aliens? Like say, the events of the first movie?

Cause that's lame as gently caress.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 23, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When the Darin Morgan episode happened I was sad that Vince Gilligan had been to busy with BCS o do an episode. Now that Chris Carter's episodes have happened I'm relieved that he didn't get involved in this trainwreck.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The new X-Files is mostly lame, but it feels endearingly lame in a way that makes me feel nostalgic. It definitely feels like a tenth season of X-Files, for better or for worse (mostly for worse)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the Kumail Nanjiani episode. Even non-fans could probably enjoy that episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Oh man, this first episode of X-Files is bad. I guess for some reason I was expecting it to be "bad X-Files bad" and not just regular bad.

Edit: also, is it really a soft reboot that retcons all of the times they for sure actually saw proof of aliens? Like say, the events of the first movie?

Cause that's lame as gently caress.

If you think that's bad, just wait'll you see the last episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow that X-Files cliffhanger sounds totally pathetic

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow that X-Files cliffhanger sounds totally pathetic
I guess Chris Carter didn't want to be shown up by Tim Kring.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, they really only had one good episode of X-Files.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravane posted:

Yeah, not worth it. Just like the Heroes reboot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I watched the second one too. It was a lot better, but it didn't feel like an episode of X-Files, it felt like an episode of Fringe.

Also, in the 90s, the Mulder's (and Chris Carter's) bitter and cynical attitude towards "the goverment" was and opinion. Maybe a correct one, but it was Mulder's opinion and it was always just kind of a sting. I'm two episodes in and it's like Chris Carter is making an adaption of "Loose Change". The criticism of corporations and the government is oozing self-righteousness, rather than weary cynicism. It's not becoming.

The soft reboot aspect of it is the worst. As an X-files fan, I've suffered through approximately a thousand episodes of lovely plots about child abductions, Mulder's sister, and Scully's kid(s). And this is what they bring me? Hey, all the cool poo poo that happened in X-Files? Yeah that didn't happen, they still don't know jack poo poo. All the stuff that you saw three times over? That happened, and we're repackaging it for new viewers.

I also did not expect them to just use a barely touched-up version of the original intro. I kind of like it, but I definitely was not expecting it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watch the next one and then drop it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Just watch the next one and then drop it.

I mean I'm going to watch all of them because there aren't that many. I almost watched it this evening, but I'm supposed to be going to bed, so I'll watch it tomorrow.

So far I'm pretty disappointed. It's a good effort, but it just feels like one of those things where the conditions that resulted in magic of X-Files the first time just aren't there any more, and it's not really anyone's fault, and there's not really anything that can be done about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Also, in the 90s, the Mulder's (and Chris Carter's) bitter and cynical attitude towards "the goverment" was and opinion. Maybe a correct one, but it was Mulder's opinion and it was always just kind of a sting. I'm two episodes in and it's like Chris Carter is making an adaption of "Loose Change". The criticism of corporations and the government is oozing self-righteousness, rather than weary cynicism. It's not becoming.

It's even worse when you watch the fourth episode and it's a completely uncritical Muslim sleeper cell terrorist bombing plot that feels like a 24 reject, right down to opening with said terrorist bowing to Mecca and praying. Joel McHale's Alex Jones/Glenn Beck character gets to be a hero and defy expectations and Mulder gets to go on Loose Change rants all the time and be validated by the plot, but literally the only Muslim character who isn't a terrorist suicide bomber is one dude's mom.

It's even more shameful considering that Kumail Nanjiani was in the previous episode and he's done a lot of comedy stuff about just that.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sleeveless posted:

It's even worse when you watch the fourth episode and it's a completely uncritical Muslim sleeper cell terrorist bombing plot that feels like a 24 reject, right down to opening with said terrorist bowing to Mecca and praying. Joel McHale's Alex Jones/Glenn Beck character gets to be a hero and defy expectations and Mulder gets to go on Loose Change rants all the time and be validated by the plot, but literally the only Muslim character who isn't a terrorist suicide bomber is one dude's mom.

It's even more shameful considering that Kumail Nanjiani was in the previous episode and he's done a lot of comedy stuff about just that.

I spent the entire beginning of this episode praying that this wouldn't happen and they wouldn't be terrorists. Having brown skin and living in a post 9/11 era has subjected me to an incredible amount of racism, and poo poo like this is exactly why.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought you were chinese

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He could be ethnic Mongol, Uighur, Uzbek, Sherpa, Taiwanese aboriginal...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Well 1/6 seems like it's keeping with X-Files tradition.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sleeveless posted:

Kumail mentioned it on Twitter and you could sense his disappointment over it.

So the only actual good episode of THE X-FILES has been the one that was written for the NIGHT STALKER reboot.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
OK so that new Prius commercial from the Super Bowl, I recognized Frank and Ziggy Sobatka right away, but I just saw it again and I'm pretty sure Nick Sobatka is there with em. Who is the 4th person in the car? Why are Baltimore's finest dock workers all in a Toyota commercial?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The director hates black people probably

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Well, thanks to Flash, and Agents of the Tomorrowverse, I'm now watching Prison Break.

Is this a bad decision?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's the superior comic book show over either of those other two, so no.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I feel you underestimate my opinion of comic book shows.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BSam posted:

Well, thanks to Flash, and Agents of the Tomorrowverse, I'm now watching Prison Break.

Is this a bad decision?

Yeah, Wentworth 'Screenwriter of STOKER' Miller isn't as much fun as he is in FLASH, where he's camping it up just the right amount. It does have a really solid first season though, but that's where they should've left it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Prison Break does go off the rails, but the show never stops being fun. It just gets really loving crazy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Yeah, I watched the second one too. It was a lot better, but it didn't feel like an episode of X-Files, it felt like an episode of Fringe.

The three episodes I have gotten around to really just made me wish they had done a Fringe revival instead.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

OK so that new Prius commercial from the Super Bowl, I recognized Frank and Ziggy Sobatka right away, but I just saw it again and I'm pretty sure Nick Sobatka is there with em. Who is the 4th person in the car? Why are Baltimore's finest dock workers all in a Toyota commercial?

Yeah Nick was also in it but I don't know who the other guy was. I'm gonna assume the duck transformed into a man

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Prison Break does go off the rails, but the show never stops being fun. It just gets really loving crazy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We legitimately would not have been surprised if they went to Space Prison had the show lasted much longer - if that level of insanity appeals to you, Prison Break will be a fun ride. Prison Break was insane, the right kind of Dumb, and really fun.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought you were chinese

I guess I just have a really great tan. But seriously, that episode was lovely.

I legitimately thought it was a joke the entire time, I kept thinking, it's 2016, there's no way any show could be that racist. But it's like it's 2001 again, and some white kid in rural Georgia throws a milkshake at my head and tells me to get out of America or pray for Jesus to save my soul. Or a neighbor gets caught tapping my dad's phone line. I still walk around town and I sometimes hear people scream "Alllahlalalala" out of the safety of their cars. I'm not even muslim. But it's just easier judge my skin color as terrorist-brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

At least you're not a filthy welshman.

• Locked thread