Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
In case there are any Aussie/nz'ers here who are a little nuts, Deagostini finally released Build the Millennium Falcon yesterday. Looks like they haven't updated all the parts like in the Japanese release, so we'll get corrected pieces later, but it's better than nothing! Woooo 2 year project!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

Looking good. It looks much like my attempts at painting metal, I'd be interested to know how one gets a polished finish.

I'll let you know. I'm building one of Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D's right now and picked up some Alclad II Polished Aluminum paint for it. I should have the build done by the end of the weekend at the latest, so if all goes to plan, I'll be shooting paint by this time next week. I'm hoping it will turn out well, but we'll see. Supposedly Alclad paint is pretty easy to work with, you just need to have a very smooth undercoat to lay it on.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Dr. Phildo posted:

In case there are any Aussie/nz'ers here who are a little nuts, Deagostini finally released Build the Millennium Falcon yesterday. Looks like they haven't updated all the parts like in the Japanese release, so we'll get corrected pieces later, but it's better than nothing! Woooo 2 year project!!

You likely won't get corrected pieces. In Germany both versions of the two affected parts were released, so people were screaming bloody murder. DeAgostini then pretty much took a stand of "Stop going nuts, you idjits, you're talking about an error 1mm long on the underside of a model 800 mm long. Shut uuuuuuuuup!" which made people really really angry. They're still screaming.

Speaking of DeAgostini, some partworks updates.

D51 got its boiler extended and firebox installed. Also some boiler rings to hide the segments the boiler is made out of.

Citroen 2 CV received its steering bar, more wheels and the tank

The F14s cockpit got weathered a bit and the core plate arrived, which will serve as the base for all the electronics and motors and the hull. First motor and a testing board are due tomorrow.

Bismarck is growing and by next week I should have catched up to where I was with the Hood when I was forced to scuttle it.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 23, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on an acrylic paint set that will cover the widest possible number of aeroplane builds?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

You likely won't get corrected pieces. In Germany both versions of the two affected parts were released, so people were screaming bloody murder. DeAgostini then pretty much took a stand of "Stop going nuts, you idjits, you're talking about an error 1mm long on the underside of a model 800 mm long. Shut uuuuuuuuup!" which made people really really angry. They're still screaming.

Speaking of DeAgostini, some partworks updates.

D51 got its boiler extended and firebox installed. Also some boiler rings to hide the segments the boiler is made out of.

Citroen 2 CV received its steering bar, more wheels and the tank

The F14s cockpit got weathered a bit and the core plate arrived, which will serve as the base for all the electronics and motors and the hull. First motor and a testing board are due tomorrow.

Bismarck is growing and by next week I should have catched up to where I was with the Hood when I was forced to scuttle it.

You're plethora of ongoing projects are all looking great, and you are making me look really lazy since I've not really gotten started yet on my next project.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

What kind of light do you guys use? At the moment I have some crappy lights which throw off the colour balance when painting so I'm looking to invest in some proper lights that are as close as possible to natural lights. Any recommendations?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Does anyone have any tips on sanding? I'm almost finished with Junkyard Gundam and realized that my sanding skills are absolute garbage. I'm using Squadron Putty, sanding sticks, and paper occationally.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

You're plethora of ongoing projects are all looking great, and you are making me look really lazy since I've not really gotten started yet on my next project.

You'll finish yours before I finish any of mine nonetheless. All but the Victory Cross Section are so far off completion it's not even funny. But I need that constant change between projects. I burn out if I stay on one single project for more than a week or two.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Does anyone have any tips on sanding? I'm almost finished with Junkyard Gundam and realized that my sanding skills are absolute garbage. I'm using Squadron Putty, sanding sticks, and paper occationally.

Use a variety of grits. I usually do 800-1000 for shaping. Anything higher is for polishing. Start low and work your way up, your finish will be better. Depending on your project, a file may be more appropriate, especially if you're removing a lot of plastic.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

EdsTeioh posted:

I've almost complety switched to sanding sponges and pad (for round, uneven surfaces) or needle files (for straight surfaces) and the occassional cosmetic nail file. I can't handle sand paper. At all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Molentik posted:

What kind of light do you guys use? At the moment I have some crappy lights which throw off the colour balance when painting so I'm looking to invest in some proper lights that are as close as possible to natural lights. Any recommendations?

I use LED fixtures from Costco. They appear 'whiter' than what you are probably used to, as they are 4000k, but they are actually much closer to natural light than the 'warm' lights that are usually indoors. Photographers use 5500~5600k lights for reference, while most indoor incandescent lighting is in the 2000's I believe.

These aren't the exact same lights (mine don't have pull chains), but give you the idea - http://www.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain,-2-pack.product.100223617.html

Here is how I mounted them, they are wired into the ceiling fixture so they are switched with the wall switch -

And it's not terribly easy to tell in the photo's, but the light is very bright with minimal shadows for working -

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Arquinsiel posted:

Do they not get in the way of aiming the turret for the mad FoW facing rules? Really nicely done though.

Thanks, I did that platoon with the turrets glued in position as there was no other way to make it work really. Mostly for decoration anyway.

I took some snaps in the kitchen tonight while I had them out and before they get boxed back up and banished back to the cupboard. These were all done around 2007/2010.

Here's the full T-24 platoon.

Mechanised SS Panzer Grenadiers (Happy with the pea dot cam on these)

M4 Sherman platoon

M10 Wolverine and M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyers

IS-2 Platoon

ISU-152 Platoon

ISU-122 and various Soviets together

I've still got some Fins and US stuff boxed if anyone is interested. Sorry for spamming the thread but thought I would share.

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 23, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are beautiful teenymans :allears:

I like how your SS PanzerGrenadiers are clearly old models from before Battlefront stopped copying bad plastic 20mm models. You can tell by how the dude with the Panzerfaust has no idea what he's doing.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

bewbies posted:

Any recommendations on an acrylic paint set that will cover the widest possible number of aeroplane builds?

If you are really cheap and not totally into accuracy you can just get some white, black and a few empty 10ml bottles and just mix your own grays. You can then paint any grayish plane ever made and never have to buy anything other than white and black. As your lust for more variety increases you can get a bottle of red, yellow, blue and green and keep mixing for more subtle shades. Maybe throw in a silver metallic too, that seems to come in handy every now and then. Add thinner and both gloss and matt varnishes and you are pretty much set. You can get 10 Vallejo paints of your choice on ebay for around the same price as a Vallejo 8-color set.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to pop in and post this:

The museum I work at is moving to another locale, so all the ship models have been taken out of their displays awaiting the moving company. It's a pretty display of sails.

Fake edit: You guys do stunning work.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Holy moly. I want to live in that room.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Dr. Phildo posted:

The nz site doesn't have it yet. However it has a 1:16 zero made of aluminium that looks amazing, but at $80 a month of 25 deliveries it's quite expensive.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

secretly a baby posted:

Just wanted to pop in and post this:

The museum I work at is moving to another locale, so all the ship models have been taken out of their displays awaiting the moving company. It's a pretty display of sails.

Fake edit: You guys do stunning work.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Holy moly. I want to live in that room.

The image is broken for me. :(

Edit.. and it works in the quoted reply. My internet provider is having some weird DNS issues today and timing out a bunch of crap.

Holy crap that's an awesome picture. You should post that on MSW!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Vallejo Airbrush Thinner is really just isopropyl alcohol, isn't it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's definitely alcohol based. Probably has a wetting agent, retarder, and perhaps a little acrylic binder as well.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

The image is broken for me. :(

Edit.. and it works in the quoted reply. My internet provider is having some weird DNS issues today and timing out a bunch of crap.

Holy crap that's an awesome picture. You should post that on MSW!

If you want you can repost it there. I don't really feel like getting another forum account.

Another good thing about the move is that I can get up close and personal with the models. I posted this 74 gun ship of the line some time ago, but snapped some pictures of it without the glass:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Holy..... That's some beautiful work.

Do you have any info on who made these?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Amazing ships, really. Where are you moving them? And will more of them be desplayed at the new place?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Amazing ships!

We had a great maritime museum on Vancouver Island, but I decided to visit it for the first time the day after it closed indefinitely. The government kicked them out of their old location, a beautiful turn of the century courthouse building, because it was supposedly unsound. They've been in limbo now for over a year with little progress in finding a new location. The one location they were looking at moving too was also much, much smaller than what they head, which meant the vast majority of their collection would be in storage. Now even that's fallen through. Their last option is a proposed maritime center farther away.... and may be finished in 30 years.

So maybe I'll get to see some model ships locally when I can see my 70th birthday on the horizon.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
The builders are either engineers from back when the ship was built, or modern day volunteers. The museum had a guild of volunteer model builders attached to it. The model I posted was built by one of those volunteers.

The museum itself is moving in with the Royal Arsenal Museum. It's a part of cost cutting so there will be less space for exhibits. Only 2 or 3 model ships will be sent to storage, however.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Vallejo Airbrush Thinner is really just isopropyl alcohol, isn't it?

Not just isopropyl, no. Isopropyl smells delicious, while Vallejo thinner makes me cough.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not just isopropyl, no. Isopropyl smells delicious, while Vallejo thinner makes me cough.

Yeah, it's not quite the same. My co-worker swears that he just takes brand new containers of Tamiya, fills them the rest of the way with straight isopropyl and they're perfect for airbrushing. I've been a bit hesitant to try this as I don't really want to ruin a new thing of paint.

In somewhat related news, apparently Tamiya got into some legal garbage about their labels on paints. As such, there will be no new shipments of any Tamiya chemical products until the middle of May or so. Essentially, whatever is on shelves at the moment is all there is for around 11 weeks or so.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
From what I've read, lots of people thin Tamiya with isopropanol, but I guess isopropanol doesn't work well with Vallejo. It gums it up or something.

EdsTeioh posted:

In somewhat related news, apparently Tamiya got into some legal garbage about their labels on paints. As such, there will be no new shipments of any Tamiya chemical products until the middle of May or so. Essentially, whatever is on shelves at the moment is all there is for around 11 weeks or so.
Again? Wasn't this the case a couple years ago too?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Casyl posted:

From what I've read, lots of people thin Tamiya with isopropanol, but I guess isopropanol doesn't work well with Vallejo. It gums it up or something.

No idea; I was exclusively using Vallejo back then. This came straight from the owner of my FLHS the day I was raving about how I had tried Tamiyas for the first time and was going to switch over to them 100% for airbrushing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Weird poo poo happens when I thin Tamiya with isopropanol, I find that water works more predictably.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ensign Expendable posted:

Weird poo poo happens when I thin Tamiya with isopropanol, I find that water works more predictably.

I've used their thinner for everything so far. Seems to work pretty well even though I feel dumb for paying that much for it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There is an entry in MSDS for Tamiya thinner. Sometimes it is under Nagashima Paint. Looks like most of the sites that could provide you with the info want you to create an account and I haven't bothered.

There is this link to some ancient forum which tried to uncover the mystery that way. Looks like they got most of the way there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amazing ships!

We had a great maritime museum on Vancouver Island, but I decided to visit it for the first time the day after it closed indefinitely. The government kicked them out of their old location, a beautiful turn of the century courthouse building, because it was supposedly unsound. They've been in limbo now for over a year with little progress in finding a new location. The one location they were looking at moving too was also much, much smaller than what they head, which meant the vast majority of their collection would be in storage. Now even that's fallen through. Their last option is a proposed maritime center farther away.... and may be finished in 30 years.

So maybe I'll get to see some model ships locally when I can see my 70th birthday on the horizon.

Sup Maritime Museumless island buddy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Sup Maritime Museumless island buddy.

Your province, as pretty as it is, kinda sucks

there, I said it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Your province, as pretty as it is, kinda sucks

there, I said it

That's why I make scale models of BC Rail trains, imagining a future where it's still publicly owned.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

If any UK goons are after a 1/24 Airfix plane, they're currently half off at Debenhams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Casyl posted:

Gunze, the Mr. Color guys did for sure.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Wibbleman posted:

The nz site doesn't have it yet. However it has a 1:16 zero made of aluminium that looks amazing, but at $80 a month of 25 deliveries it's quite expensive.

Deagostini's site is pretty bad. Maybe try https://www.bissettmags.com.au as they're bringing into oz, so they could have a little more info. Be warned- 100 issues so pretty much double the price of the zero :(

Looks like a back to the future 1:8 delorean from eaglemoss comes soon. And a 1:2 r2d2 good lord I'll be broke and have no room

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Midjack posted:

Gunze, the Mr. Color guys did for sure.

Is there an online retailer that sells Gunze stuff? I've been wanting to try that Mr. Surfacer dissolved putty stuff but can't find it locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there an online retailer that sells Gunze stuff? I've been wanting to try that Mr. Surfacer dissolved putty stuff but can't find it locally.

Sprue Brothers, if you're a US goon.