Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you can complete the spending in the first month, it may be worth it to immediately close the card and wait 18 months. This is more common on the Exec as the annual fee isn't waived and is expensive. The AA play also has a weird conversion that is currently ongoing where after it converts you can bypass the 18 month restriction as they are different products, beware that this could shutdown at any time with no warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
There's a loophole that exists, but it's unknown how long it'll be around for. Basically, if you have reasonable good credit (and possibly some unknown other factors) around 60 days after getting the card, they will upgrade it to World Elite Mastercard (from just a regular World Mastercard). That doesn't mean much, but their system views it as a separate card. So once you've been upgraded, you're actually eligible to apply for the card and receive the bonus again. Some folks have done this 4+ times.

Other than that, your plan looks solid. Obviously the sooner you close card 1 after applying for card 2, the sooner you can work on card 3.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just got my Costco reward coupon in the mail and it reminded me, have there been any major updates about the Costco rewards card switchover? Initial announcements said that current rewards cardholders most likely wouldn't have to apply at Citi but didn't give any details and almost all the articles I've found are from last year. With the switchover coming up soon it's curious that I haven't gotten any notices from Costco, Amex, or Citi.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They pushed it back to summer.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Paying off my student loans apparently caused my credit score to drop 25 points. :( I was just about to break 750. Anything I can do about this?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Take out a new installment loan.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

Paying off my student loans apparently caused my credit score to drop 25 points. :( I was just about to break 750. Anything I can do about this?

Which scoring model are you looking at? VantageScore 3.0 should show a drop, but FICO should not, which is what lenders actually use.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It was FICO. At least that's what the Discover tracker shows me. It makes sense, since the only new note on my tracker is about my installment loans having a high balance. When I started paying my student loans aggressively, my score slowly climbed. Now that those accounts are closed, all I have is my car loan.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

It was FICO. At least that's what the Discover tracker shows me. It makes sense, since the only new note on my tracker is about my installment loans having a high balance. When I started paying my student loans aggressively, my score slowly climbed. Now that those accounts are closed, all I have is my car loan.

Are you running a high utilization on any of your cards right now?

I was previously of the opinion that closing accounts impacted FICO scoring, as it seemed to have done so for me in the past, but we had a fairly protracted discussion in this thread last year and I came away from it convinced that VantageScore 3.0 took closed accounts out of the Average Age of Accounts tabulation, but that FICO 8 did not (and Discover is showing you your TransUnion FICO 8). If that's the only thing that has changed for you (utilization is steady, no new accounts, etc) then perhaps we are all wrong about FICO scoring, or at least the impact an account closure will have.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pretty sure the only thing that changed from December to January was closing my Navient accounts. My CC balances were pretty consistent in the past several months. Highest balance at any time was $3000 on a $10000 limit, but that was around even when my score was high.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you aren't buying a house or a car, then stop caring about your FICO score.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

They share that with you not so you can micromanage, but so you can spot identity theft and save them (and you) money.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

asur posted:

If you aren't buying a house or a car, then stop caring about your FICO score.

But I wanted to put it in my dating profile.

I mean, yeah it probably doesn't matter at the moment and is perfectly fine for someone in my financial situation. But want big number.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
So that citibank american airlines card loophole is definitely closed. Just got my 3rd one and it has the "we see you already got a bonus, so gently caress off" language on the welcome letter.

Any idea if I can switch it to something else that *does* have a signup bonus (like a prestige maybe) without taking another hard pull, or did I pretty much just waste one.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

gandlethorpe posted:

But I wanted to put it in my dating profile.
It doesn't work. :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Baddog posted:

So that citibank american airlines card loophole is definitely closed. Just got my 3rd one and it has the "we see you already got a bonus, so gently caress off" language on the welcome letter.

Any idea if I can switch it to something else that *does* have a signup bonus (like a prestige maybe) without taking another hard pull, or did I pretty much just waste one.

There's a gold or a bronze card with a lower bonus that you may be able to PC to, but dunno if you'll get the bonus. Good luck

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yeah you probably won't get the bonus on a product change

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Yeah you probably won't get the bonus on a product change

True, but the only thing they can say is no, worth a shot I suppose

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I think Citi is scrutinizing bonuses more.

I signed up for the Citi Gold debit card in December, did my bill pays in December and January and also completed my min spend in December.

I have yet to receive my 50k AA miles. I called in to see if I had completed all requirements, and the rep noted that I had and that I should receive my miles in 90 days. Not within 90 days-- IN 90 days. People reported getting their miles way earlier, but so far that's not my experience. That'll be ~$90 in fees before I get my miles.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cacafuego posted:

True, but the only thing they can say is no, worth a shot I suppose

Normally I'd agree, but in the past couple weeks there was a notable round of Citi shutdowns. From what I gather it mostly affected people who were really abusing the system, both from an applications standpoint as well as a manufactured spending standpoint. Having three AA Plats probably doesn't rise to that level. Even so, I personally would not rock the boat with Citi for the next little while.

Blinkman987 posted:

I signed up for the Citi Gold debit card in December, did my bill pays in December and January and also completed my min spend in December.

I have yet to receive my 50k AA miles. I called in to see if I had completed all requirements, and the rep noted that I had and that I should receive my miles in 90 days. Not within 90 days-- IN 90 days. People reported getting their miles way earlier, but so far that's not my experience. That'll be ~$90 in fees before I get my miles.

I'm on pretty much the same timeline as you with Citigold. From what I've seen, about 2-3 months ago Citi made the switch from posting early to posting at 90 days. Still waiting on mine as well.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 23, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blinkman987 posted:

That's pretty standard. I signed up months ago and it still took ~90 days.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Have you guys with citigold been charged a fee yet? I've received two statements and no fees yet.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Have you guys with citigold been charged a fee yet? I've received two statements and no fees yet.

The first two months are free.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

asur posted:

The first two months are free.
Duh.

Thanks

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pig slut lisa posted:

Normally I'd agree, but in the past couple weeks there was a notable round of Citi shutdowns. From what I gather it mostly affected people who were really abusing the system, both from an applications standpoint as well as a manufactured spending standpoint. Having three AA Plats probably doesn't rise to that level. Even so, I personally would not rock the boat with Citi for the next little while.

Hmmm, I guess I definitely don't want to run the risk of getting blackballed by citi. Sticking this card in the drawer along with the other two until cancellation time won't hurt I guess, besides being out a hard pull. I swear, this is the 4th hard pull I've wasted in about six months though. Got hosed by the new chase rule just as they implemented it, had a fiasco with wells fargo over their 5% card which resulted in two pulls for a poo poo version of their card with no offer, and now this.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

So my wife got the two Chase Southwest cards (personal Plus/Premiere) for the sign up bonuses to hit the companion pass. We are still shy about ~6k points. I know one option to get the final points is to just buy Choice hotel points and converting them to Southwest Airline points.

I've also seen that with Chase Ultimate Rewards points we can transfer to Hyatt/Marriott and then to Southwest. The thing with this option is that the CUR points are all on MY Chase Sapphire Preferred account (she is just authorized uesr). Is this option only viable if those points are her's?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

khysanth posted:

So my wife got the two Chase Southwest cards (personal Plus/Premiere) for the sign up bonuses to hit the companion pass. We are still shy about ~6k points. I know one option to get the final points is to just buy Choice hotel points and converting them to Southwest Airline points.

Sounds like you already got the 4k for minimum spend, you just want to accelerate the rest to get the pass earlier? Isn't buying points gonna be a lot more expensive than just getting 6k in visa cards for about 50 bucks from the mall and either unloading them via money order or just using them for your spend for awhile?

6k is a lot of amazon credit, but maybe you do 2k in amazon, prepay your netflix/hulu/whatever else spend for a year or two from grocery store gift cards for "free", and do the rest in the visa cards.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

khysanth posted:

I've also seen that with Chase Ultimate Rewards points we can transfer to Hyatt/Marriott and then to Southwest.

Everyone recommends not doing this, the ratios are terrible.

I suppose if you don't have any other use for the URs and are planning to make heavy heavy use of the Southwest Companion Pass, then maybe do it. But probably don't.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I haven't had any issues transferring points to my spouse's Southwest account via Chase. I don't think you would have any issues transferring to her Hyatt or Marriott accounts.

But as others mentioned the ratio is bad. Have you looked at some of the SW offers? I think those points count. You might be able to get 6k points by ordering flowers, doing their dining portal, getting a WSJ subscription and canceling, or getting a case of wine. Or you could just use the SW card for normal spend and wait a few months.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I haven't had any issues transferring points to my spouse's Southwest account via Chase. I don't think you would have any issues transferring to her Hyatt or Marriott accounts.

But as others mentioned the ratio is bad. Have you looked at some of the SW offers? I think those points count. You might be able to get 6k points by ordering flowers, doing their dining portal, getting a WSJ subscription and canceling, or getting a case of wine. Or you could just use the SW card for normal spend and wait a few months.

Unfortunately, the wine offer points don't count, but the shopping portal and dining points do. I think the 1800 Flowers deal is the quickest and cheapest. Spend $30, get 1000 RR points. Just do 6 different $30 orders, and you'll be all set!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have a few CCs that I've received points / airlines miles on but I have never signed up for a card that came with Hotel reward points. I live in the US but will be moving to Europe later this year for 2 years and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good Hotel reward credit card with good signup bonus that I can use to book hotel rooms in Europe. I care more about quantity over quality for the amount of redeemable hotel rooms.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have a few CCs that I've received points / airlines miles on but I have never signed up for a card that came with Hotel reward points. I live in the US but will be moving to Europe later this year for 2 years and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good Hotel reward credit card with good signup bonus that I can use to book hotel rooms in Europe. I care more about quantity over quality for the amount of redeemable hotel rooms.

Hotel chains are extremely hit or miss in general and it's worse in Europe than most places. You should figure out where you want to go first, what hotel chain has availability there and then sign up for the card(s) based on that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

asur posted:

Hotel chains are extremely hit or miss in general and it's worse in Europe than most places. You should figure out where you want to go first, what hotel chain has availability there and then sign up for the card(s) based on that.

Hmmm well that's the thing, I really don't know where or when I will be traveling but since I'll be living in Europe - I'll be in close proximity to many countries and without a doubt will be taking advantage of traveling during any free time I have. I really don't mind the quality of the hotel chain in Europe as long as I can get a lot of free nights with the initial sign up bonus.

Hotel Reward Credit Card - Preferably Visa / American Express / MasterCard with no foreign transaction fee. Annual Fee waived for the first year would be nice.

I've been looking over this list here - https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-hotel-credit-cards/ - so for the 80k Mariott Reward point, that translate to about 2 - 10 free nights depending on location / quality of the Mariott?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 25, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Travel is Free folks have compiled a useful set of maps of various hotel chains, sorted by rewards categories. You can toggle categories on and off, e.g. view all IHG properties in Categories 1, 2, and 3. In general, Travel is Free breaks from the main herd of travel/credit card bloggers in that they try to stretch their points over many nights at lower category hotels (as opposed to the bulk of blogs that focus on Park Hyatts and Level 6 SPG properties). So their site would be worth spending some time on.

One hotel company to explore that you won't find a Travel is Free map for is Choice Hotels. I don't have a great knowledge of their program, but I understand their European properties are nicer than their U.S. properties while still being fairly cheap award redemptions, and the Choice-branded credit cards right now has an offer of 32,000 bonus points upon spending $1,000/3 months.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Hmmm well that's the thing, I really don't know where or when I will be traveling but since I'll be living in Europe - I'll be in close proximity to many countries and without a doubt will be taking advantage of traveling during any free time I have. I really don't mind the quality of the hotel chain in Europe as long as I can get a lot of free nights with the initial sign up bonus.

Hotel Reward Credit Card - Preferably Visa / American Express / MasterCard with no foreign transaction fee. Annual Fee waived for the first year would be nice.

I've been looking over this list here - https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-hotel-credit-cards/ - so for the 80k Mariott Reward point, that translate to about 2 - 10 free nights depending on location / quality of the Mariott?

There are cards with good signup bonuses for every major chain. The issue is that the value of those points is highly variable and if you don't know where you want to go and the availability of the brand there then you're just hoping that they'll be useful. My experience in general in Europe is that it's not very good value unless you are looking at the higher tier properties in major cities. Low tier properties may not exist, have low award availability, have low point value, or be inconveniently located and cheap independent hotels or hostels exist all over the place. If you want to ensure that you can actually use your points, you should at least look at the cities you want to visit and verify that the hotel chain has a hotel there with the award availability and redemption value that is acceptable. IHG may be a good chain to look into as they seem to have lower tier properties with good locations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not credit card rewards, but maybe still the best place to ask: are there any other great bonuses for opening checking or savings accounts? USAA just paid out $400 for opening a checking account with them about 3 months ago, and wondering if anyone knows any other good offers floating around. All USAA required was two direct deposits of at least $250 each, which I was happy to do and then transfer back to my usual bank.

Edit: looks like 360 Savings by Capital One is doing $50 for opening with $5000, $100 for $10000, etc. up to $500 for $50000 and it expires in 4 days. Might need to jump on that if it doesn't have any account fees and nothing better turns up.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 25, 2016

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There are plenty of bank bonuses and you can take advantage of them to get some free money. Unlike credit card bonuses bank bonuses are taxable income though.

They change frequently and often have pretty narrow requirements to get the bonus and avoid fees. DoctorOfCredit.com is a good place to go to find out about current offers. They keep a page pretty up to date with the best current offers. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

Banking systems have something similar to a credit report called Chexsystems. I'm not sure how many accounts you can open before it starts causing problems.

Common things you need to watch for are Direct Deposit Requirements, minimum balance requirements, minimum deposit required, minimum debit card transaction requirements and when you can close the account without paying a fee or having to return the bonus.
edit: Online bill pay requirements too

THF13 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 26, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

Do you happen to remember how you applied, specific link on flyertalk or just googling the bonus?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

asur posted:

Do you happen to remember how you applied, specific link on flyertalk or just googling the bonus?

just googled the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

just googled the bonus.

drat, mine just converted, but no one seems sure if the loop hole is completely closed or only just certain links.