Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Allied planets has one planet, their name is a bit optimistic I guess.
It sounds like as a player a federation will be a pain due to the rotating presidency and total lack of control when not president, but they'll be great for minor powers to band together. Wonder if they'll form in response to the player conquering too much near them sort of like a coalition in EU4.

I've wanted this mechanic for Switzerland in EU4 for a while. It would be pretty fun for it to be a federation of cantons that essentially can't expand due to bickering and rotating presidency but which is also very hard to attack due to each canton being surprisingly powerful when mobilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I know there won't be mechanics for it, but I wish I could annex smaller factions and break apart big empires by playing as a race of shapeshifters and replacing key leaders with doppelgangers.
I really just want a moment where I can imagine the horror of an entire planet as their dashing and beloved federation president orders the fleet standing guard to another sector, leaving a clear path for my encroaching invasion craft.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arrath posted:

Well, maybe not quite to that degree but I think it's an intriguing idea. Like with a Federation, that isn't just a little treaty you sign saying "yeah I'll maybe help you out in a war", it's some fairly in depth integration of societies and administrative functions. Breaking away from that seems like it should be a little troublesome, causing problems with the government for a while, maybe triggering some loyalist groups that want to stay in the Federation, that kinda thing.

As the next step up from alliances there should be more issues and consequences that you have to consider before joining up. Is the threat of that Evil Space Empire big enough to want to start integrating myself into this greater political being? Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Federations should work exactly like the EU.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dibujante posted:

I've wanted this mechanic for Switzerland in EU4 for a while. It would be pretty fun for it to be a federation of cantons that essentially can't expand due to bickering and rotating presidency but which is also very hard to attack due to each canton being surprisingly powerful when mobilized.

Now you mention it, I'm suddenly excited for all the features from Stellaris that'll get back-ported into EU4. They did a bunch of that for CK2 didn't they?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

popewiles posted:

I know there won't be mechanics for it, but I wish I could annex smaller factions and break apart big empires by playing as a race of shapeshifters and replacing key leaders with doppelgangers.
I really just want a moment where I can imagine the horror of an entire planet as their dashing and beloved federation president orders the fleet standing guard to another sector, leaving a clear path for my encroaching invasion craft.

Star Trek modders' wet dream.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They're going to have to put in some sort of Federation internal politics. It's going to be awfully hard to convince players to give up control of their foreign policy 3/4 of the time.

It's like a semi permanent opt in regency council. Oh boy! :keke:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

They're going to have to put in some sort of Federation internal politics. It's going to be awfully hard to convince players to give up control of their foreign policy 3/4 of the time.

It's like a semi permanent opt in regency council. Oh boy! :keke:

if it makes it more viable to play small, focused civilizations it might be worth it. This kind of mechanic in EU4 would definitely get used by most players doing OPM starts.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
From one of Doomdark's responses in the Paradox forums it sounds like while they won't be taking the concept further before the game is released they are leaving the door open to future refinement.

May be reading too much into the respone though. Maybe they're going to see how people react to it first before throwing more resources at what would likely be a fairly complex problem to solve if they were to introduce a whole new layer of internal politics?

As it currently stands it doesn't seem like a thing a human player would use with a bunch of AI empires - in the example shown the player is giving up control of their empire for up to 15 years at a time... who would want to do that?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From one of Doomdark's responses in the Paradox forums it sounds like while they won't be taking the concept further before the game is released they are leaving the door open to future refinement.

May be reading too much into the respone though. Maybe they're going to see how people react to it first before throwing more resources at what would likely be a fairly complex problem to solve if they were to introduce a whole new layer of internal politics?

As it currently stands it doesn't seem like a thing a human player would use with a bunch of AI empires - in the example shown the player is giving up control of their empire for up to 15 years at a time... who would want to do that?

It depends on whether or not the peacetime game is engaging. I could definitely see piggybacking off of a federation while I built my empire up internally.

In any case, I am confident in Paradox' mechanic design, but even more confident that they will recognize what works and what doesn't and iterate on it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I saw that response as well and that is basically how I interpreted it also. It seems like something that they can add in DLC because that is their business model these days and it may depend on demand.

I agree with Dibujante that it may be something that smaller players may need or want to do depending on what kind of game they are playing or the situation they are in. If the game is sufficiently balanced that the AI is a threat over the course of the whole game (rather than until you hit a certain point like in EU4), joining a federation may be more appealing.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I could imagine joining a federation as is if the late game invasions are actually a dire threat. It'd be a compelling choice if I had to give up sovereignty in order to not be left out on my own against a huge enemy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
If some of the late-game scenarios are real doomsday scenarios then the federation may be the only chance at survival, which would be amazing. Imagine a bunch of AI who all hate each other forced into a federation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even if the realpolitik reasons to join a federation are lackluster, noones mentioned the most important reason to join one yet: for the achievements.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Danann posted:

A fun option would be to have them go rogue and go take over a nearby system or two and create a new nation out of that.

Give them massive tech boosts and casus belli on all former nations belonging to the Federation and you've got an interesting midgame scenario. Maybe have them change governments, too.

So basically what I'm saying is let them go Clanner as gently caress on us and that would be amazing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tuskin38 posted:

If there was it wouldn't be allowed on the PDox forums.

Hah

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/700641904493359104
Why would xenophobes actively want alien slaves.

I figured it was more like, if there are aliens around, they'd better be slaves, not equals. But if there aren't any, xenophobes wouldn't really want you to import them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Having alien slaves around reminds you how you are superior to them and also probably makes your life easier because they can do work which would otherwise have to be paid for, or perhaps is highly dangerous or unpleasant. I mean I'm pretty sure a lot of white plantation owners supported bringing more black slaves into the southern US while also being racist.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Xenophobic in the context of alien lifeforms seems more like a simple "don't want them around" than it does a full analogue to racism. Wanting to round up beings from somewhere to work in the mines strikes me as an expression of materialism, rather than xenophobia.

Like, even in your analogy, while the wealthy plantation owners may have wanted that, the poorer whites probably did not, even though they would have shared roughly the same racial politics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh the poorer white were fine with it because they sure as poo poo didn't want to do plantation labor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/699986655806169088

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
It looks like they have a phaser rifle project that has gone full F-35 in terms of boondogglement. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That wint guy has it backwards though, the AI is actually spending 4.081 on it's army. A very tiny amount.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh the poorer white were fine with it because they sure as poo poo didn't want to do plantation labor.
They wouldn't be doing the plantation labor, though, surely. A lack of slaves would have hindered the plantation owners, not forced small-scale white farmers onto the plantations themselves.

Mind you, this doesn't necessarily tell us what the actual opinions were on the subject. It's actually kind of an interesting question. I'm going to poke around on google, see if I can find anything illuminating.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

That wint guy has it backwards though, the AI is actually spending 4.081 on it's army. A very tiny amount.

Unless, hypothetically, the game is using Swedish notation...? (not recommended)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's interesting that space game can have genocides and slavery because it's a fantasy setting, no specific historical crimes against humanity to anger anyone.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It's interesting that space game can have genocides and slavery because it's a fantasy setting, no specific historical crimes against humanity to anger anyone.

It's more no specific European laws to break.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Unless, hypothetically, the game is using Swedish notation...? (not recommended)

No, because the total wouldn't add up were that the case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

They wouldn't be doing the plantation labor, though, surely. A lack of slaves would have hindered the plantation owners, not forced small-scale white farmers onto the plantations themselves.

Mind you, this doesn't necessarily tell us what the actual opinions were on the subject. It's actually kind of an interesting question. I'm going to poke around on google, see if I can find anything illuminating.

Depending on the economy yeah they would. Places like the south and Haitians whole economy rested on that poo poo. Plus plantations had jobs low class whites could do that wasn't the labor force. Mainly administrative.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

No, because the total wouldn't add up were that the case.

Oh, I didn't see the total.

Curses...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kavak posted:

It's more no specific European laws to break.

Day 1: Someone mods in the star of David as a possible banner emblem.
Day 2: Hilarity ensues.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it paid well, I'm sure they would. People worked in pretty awful mills in the north.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can't wait to make this my flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQ-6mEbyu4

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

This isn't my field of study but my understanding was that poor southern whites were generally pro-slavery, because this meant that they weren't at the very bottom of the social hierarchy. It was a self-destructive vice.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dibujante posted:

This isn't my field of study but my understanding was that poor southern whites were generally pro-slavery, because this meant that they weren't at the very bottom of the social hierarchy. It was a self-destructive vice.
It can be a subtle distinction. Poor southern whites were certainly strongly anti-emancipation, for the reason you state, and also because of economic and other fears about what would happen if the slaves already there were freed. But we're specifically thinking now about how they felt about bringing more slaves in, which is a slightly different question.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Depending on the economy yeah they would. Places like the south and Haitians whole economy rested on that poo poo. Plus plantations had jobs low class whites could do that wasn't the labor force. Mainly administrative.
I feel like you have causation slightly backwards here. The plantation system was reliant on slavery, yes, absolutely. But this doesn't mean that in the absence of slaves, other people would be forced into that niche; it means that in the absence of slaves, the plantation system breaks down. As happened with emancipation in Haiti and elsewhere - at least, once such emancipation became more than de jure.

Or I suppose, in our counterfactual, the system doesn't get established in the first place.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Koramei posted:

Now you mention it, I'm suddenly excited for all the features from Stellaris that'll get back-ported into EU4. They did a bunch of that for CK2 didn't they?

For sure, can't wait for the robot uprising.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
That's better saved for Rome 2.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

For sure, can't wait for the robot uprising.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Xenophobic in the context of alien lifeforms seems more like a simple "don't want them around" than it does a full analogue to racism. Wanting to round up beings from somewhere to work in the mines strikes me as an expression of materialism, rather than xenophobia.

Like, even in your analogy, while the wealthy plantation owners may have wanted that, the poorer whites probably did not, even though they would have shared roughly the same racial politics.

My race had a trait that made them want slaves but didn't like enslaving their own. Xenophobia can mean different things depending on the traits and ethoses it's combined with.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

My race had a trait that made them want slaves but didn't like enslaving their own. Xenophobia can mean different things depending on the traits and ethoses it's combined with.

That's pretty cool. Is there a point pre-release where you guys would consider releasing a full government and ethos list for us to wildly speculate about?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want the Space Rome government where you enslave alien races but 50 years down the line they are the same as your starting race trait-wise, just with different portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

That's better saved for Rome 2.

You kept your redtext all these years just to make that one joke, didn't you? :golfclap: