Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I also won my first game with Marverni, in a disturbingly similar fashion. Had a huge Abyssian army bearing down on my cap, and then like the Russians unveiling the eastern reinforcements in the battle for Moscow, I ran everything over with great boars. So many boars. A thousand years of boars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Patch is out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
4.23 live.

Disappointing news, apparently the Slothpower code didn't even WORK???

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Good news for EA Rlyeh! They have coastal recruitment.

Bad news:

You know how Illithid soldiers with plate are quite bad value for money?

Imagine if they still cost 50g each, but had less HP and worse prot. That's pretty much what an Androleth is. Cool unit picture, though.

Oh and they have a new cap-only aquatic mage and non-rusty gear.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also their coastal units have a five (5!!!) year lifespan so burden of time now also stops Rlyeh winning the game, lol.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 22, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They have a new cap-only sacred mage. It says it has unique magic paths in the description but it actually doesn't.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
A rec-anywhere mind blaster for 50g is pretty nuts though isn't it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

I dunno. Isn't sacred and/or really beefy like Olms, unlike other mind blasters doesn't have a life stealing attack, and 50g without the sacred status is remarkably expensive in terms of upkeep. They're also almost uniquely vulnerable to anything with an aging effect (corpse candles, for example).

GenericOverusedName posted:

They have a new cap-only sacred mage. It says it has unique magic paths in the description but it actually doesn't.
Much easier to get D2 on them, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

They're basically like biodegradable grenades. You recruit them and throw them at the enemy before they can turn into compost.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What about this?

[from desura)

quote:

"* the various aboleths (including mind lord) can cast Mind Vessel if there is an Androdai in the province. It give a bit S boost to the androdai. The aboleth can continue to act independantly."

It also says it can give 2S/3S as a boost with it, so it seems pretty good. I'm at work, so no idea of how it works.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah they've definitely got serious issues but at least now EA R'lyeh has something to stick behind their legions of lobos on land.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah they've definitely got serious issues but at least now EA R'lyeh has something to stick behind their legions of lobos on land.

nah.

Just BoT as normal your poo poo is still bad. You could theoretically do a scales build and make stuff but you are in EA remember. You would have to get onto land, hold it long enough to put down a palisade, lab, and a temple and then make mind blasters.

This is not going to happen since letting R'lyeh do this will make them actually able to hurt their neighbor. They will either boot your rear end back into the sea or take the fort after letting you build it for them. All you have for land is shitbad troops and some idiot mermen wizards. Those aren't going to stop EA type bullshit.

Recruitable S1H3 and the new cap wizzzard are cool though.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 22, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

What about this?

[from desura)

It also says it can give 2S/3S as a boost with it, so it seems pretty good. I'm at work, so no idea of how it works.

Looks like it gives the androdai the S level of the casting mage, I haven't tried it with boosters so I don't know if you can get an S5 mage with a hat slot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

akulanization posted:

Looks like it gives the androdai the S level of the casting mage, I haven't tried it with boosters so I don't know if you can get an S5 mage with a hat slot.

it adds +2S. I made an E1S3 with an E1S1 and an S4 with an S2.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Add "BoT is unresearchable" to goon mod tia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chomp8645 posted:

Another unit unrecruitable by the Burden of Time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Good news for EA Rlyeh! They have coastal recruitment.

Bad news:

You know how Illithid soldiers with plate are quite bad value for money?

Imagine if they still cost 50g each, but had less HP and worse prot. That's pretty much what an Androleth is. Cool unit picture, though.

Are they? I mean, it depends of what you do mean with money. Is it gold? 50g for mindblasters are considered good in EA Agharta, so the same 50g here for mindblasters also will be good*. The problem of Illithid soldiers seems more to be the 45 res(!), but the the Androleth is only 14r. Also, the ratio between armor:resources is almost twice better, 14r in exchange of 12 prot vs 45r in exchange of 17 prot, and 12 prot is decent in EA, while LA has higher prot but more expensive and they play in LA. You also have normal Illithids, but in exchange of not paying res (1), they also have paper thin armor for a LA unit (5 prot).
They have less hp but they should be in the last line of the battle thanks to the mind blast. They have 2 less mr but 4 more morale. They also have 1-2 more def., in exchange they have less precision... but prec doesn't matter with mindblast.

*: though they aren't sacred unlike Olms, that's nice for maintenance of an expensive unit, I admit it.

Will I recruit hundreds of them? No. But they aren't that bad.

/end theorycraft.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 22, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
12 prot is very easy to penetrate through with pretty much any AP spell let alone AN. EA is the era where every fucker and their mum has very solid battlemagic everywhere, too.

I dunno maybe they'll be hypothetically useful if you somehow get a scrap of land but they seem pretty fragile for the cost to me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

???

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

No that's not right, I made an E1S4 with a E1S1 and my S2 became S3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

He is right. it adds whatever S the caster has. I got a D1S4 with a S4 Mind Lord. I read you also can empower to S5 to give S5. edit: too late.

EA Rlyleh still won't be a powerhouse, not even close, but I like how thematic is the idea of the polypal spawn being parasites and invading human slaves trapped in water, which later produces an hybrid beign which can be remotely controlled by a Mind Lord in an ocean. 2spooky. It also allows to finally have some high level magic in land, and with full body slots!, but with some cons: they have to make a peregrination to the Ocean so the Mind Lord can cast the ritual (it's range 0, have to be the same province), and they are slightly insane.

edit: even more theorycraft: 75 astral gems to empower someone to S5 is expensive... but with this nation, it gives you two S5 mages, one of them aquatic and the other amphibious. And if the amphibious one dies the S5 mind lord (which will be casting rituals safely in UW) can mind-vessel another one to obtain again another S5 mage, for just 15 astral gems. So the 75 gems empowerment with EA Rlyeh is both cheaper (more bang for your buck) and safer than other nations, no reason to not do it.
From S5 to S7 with boosters is very possible (coin, skullcap), one of the Androdai puts the hat and coin, and he can forge rings of sorcery. Ring + coin is equippable by Mind Lords in the two misc slots, so after the first ring the Mind Lords can do the forging. Now you have S8 Androdais, master enslaving everyone (remember to equip eye of the void, together with the ring is +3 pen).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 22, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

12 prot is very easy to penetrate through with pretty much any AP spell let alone AN. EA is the era where every fucker and their mum has very solid battlemagic everywhere, too.

I dunno maybe they'll be hypothetically useful if you somehow get a scrap of land but they seem pretty fragile for the cost to me.

You know what, I'm going to half agree with you. I forgot the small detail of them reaching old age in 4 years. With that, they should cost a bit less, 40g.

edit: the mod commands are

quote:

Details for new Mod Commands
#farsumcom "monster name" | [monster nbr]
(sets the commander for farsummoned units to somthing other than the normal units)

#notfornation [nation nbr]
(restricts a spell so that it cannot be used by this nation)

#transform "monster name" | [monster nbr]
(transforms commander determined by target requirements into another type of monster)

#slothpower [nbr]
(becomes more powerful in sloth dominion)

#mindslime [area]
(grants the mindslime ability)

#sneakunit [stealth value]
(this item will grant stealth to nonstealthy units)

#natural
(natural weapons are not affected by flaming arrows and weapon blesses)

#internal
(internal damage hits inside the body and cannot be negated by effects like mirror image, mist form, mossbody, etc)

#nogeosrc [terrain mask]
(spell cannot be cast from any of these terrains)

#onlyatsite "site name" | [site nbr]
(ritual can only be cast in a province with this site)

#killcappop [percent]
(kills a percentage of the capital's population when the game starts. Value can be negative to increase population instead)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2016

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Doesn't mindblast have perfect precision and incredibly long range? They should be safe behind chaff.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
#slothpower does not work.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Maybe it's just working too slow for you to see it?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Enjoy posted:

Does anyone have the picture of the shrimp with the whip

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Turin Turambar posted:

(transforms commander determined by target requirements into another type of monster)
Nice, I wanted this for Szumogliika.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Fukkin sweet, I can finally finish my Dragonewt mod.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

fool_of_sound posted:

Fukkin sweet, I can finally finish my Dragonewt mod.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Me and 9 other dudes would follow that shrimp to hell and back

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ty

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hmm. No.

This.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

fool_of_sound posted:

Hmm. No.

This.

Make a duckmod first!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Androids....are the future.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
This shrimp is really enormous.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Well, just bit the bullet and bought this off Steam. And I won my second game against the AI, playing as EA Vanheim. But it wasn't pretty, and I feel like my Pretender was carried by the nation rather than playing any role. Instead I just steamrolled them by buying giant numbers of Einheres and Hirdmen.

So things that went well for me:
I successfully got scripting to work. My experiment with two Dwarf Smiths, Summon Earthpower and Magma Eruption went well enough, although I stopped using them when they splattered against an Army, because I accidentally set their guardian to sneak instead of attack. Should probably put their guards under their direct commands next time.
Research worked okay, although after researching Construction 2 for Owl Quills, Evocation 6 for Magma Eruption and Conjuration for Earthpower, I had no idea what to do.

Things that didn't go well for me:
I didn't build a fort until well after I needed it. Also, I had a single doomstack that was almost certainly overkill even against my AI opponents troops.
A lack of mage use means that I would almost certainly have been massacred by a human player.
I built my pretender poorly, or at least without a plan in mind.
I built magical gear, but I have no idea if it was good or useful. Definitely something to focus on.

Otherwise, I had a blast. Time to start up another game and see what I screw up this time!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torchlighter posted:

Research worked okay, although after researching Construction 2 for Owl Quills, Evocation 6 for Magma Eruption and Conjuration for Earthpower, I had no idea what to do.
As Vanheim the other way to go at that point is:

Alteration for mage and eventually troop buffs (Mistform/Fog Warriors means they take 1 damage from most troops, pretty great)

Enchantment means you can teleport your Vanir (but not their troops) with Cloud Trapeze.

Deeper into construction means you can build things like Fire Brands (pretty much clear a square of troops per round, so long as they don't resist fire), Shields of Gleaming Gold (make people not even want to hit your Vanir) and your best research boosters, Lightless Lanterns (+12 research for 5 gems, down to 3 if you use a Dwarven Hammer). With foreign nature mages you can get Vine Shields (stick people in place), which are pretty much the go-to shield for Vanir who want to take provinces alone.

Blood means you get Storm Demons, which are pretty vicious, although your mages are not great at blood hunting for their cost, and there's a bit of a lead time on having enough Storm Demons to matter (but once you get there, they're hard to deal with).

You can also go just a little bit further into Evocation for Rain of Stones, which drops rocks on the whole battlefield. If normal-sized people and mages aren't wearing hats, they are in big trouble at that point.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Torchlighter posted:

Well, just bit the bullet and bought this off Steam. And I won my second game against the AI, playing as EA Vanheim. But it wasn't pretty, and I feel like my Pretender was carried by the nation rather than playing any role. Instead I just steamrolled them by buying giant numbers of Einheres and Hirdmen.

So things that went well for me:
I successfully got scripting to work. My experiment with two Dwarf Smiths, Summon Earthpower and Magma Eruption went well enough, although I stopped using them when they splattered against an Army, because I accidentally set their guardian to sneak instead of attack. Should probably put their guards under their direct commands next time.

Things that didn't go well for me:
I didn't build a fort until well after I needed it. Also, I had a single doomstack that was almost certainly overkill even against my AI opponents troops.
A lack of mage use means that I would almost certainly have been massacred by a human player.
I built my pretender poorly, or at least without a plan in mind.
I built magical gear, but I have no idea if it was good or useful. Definitely something to focus on.

Otherwise, I had a blast. Time to start up another game and see what I screw up this time!

Awesome! It's always good to see new blood around here!

Get into a newbie multiplayer game ASAP. Multiplayer is way more fun than fighting the AI, and significantly strategically deeper. As with most games, the AI only teaches bad multiplayer habits. Plus, you'll be fighting newbies, so you don't have to worry about people who know tons more strategy than you.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Storm + air elementals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
On turn 40, Jewgame has found it's true Pantokrator. All hail Bloody Mary, Enemy of Darkness; she who has brought light to the world via ceaseless fireballs and flaming crossbow spam.

I went A4F4 which turned out reasonably well. I also took two points in productivity so that I had the option of building a decent number of knights; so I had air blessed witch hunters and fire blessed knights and two paths for boosters (although she died before I could get air boosters).

I'd like to say that I overcame some sort of challenge during this game, but in truth I almost leisurely strolled to victory. To begin with, I consulted my horoscope and interpreted it to be a good omen when I had twenty seven provinces at the end of the first year. My only concern was that my neighbour Pangaea was becoming overmighty, having conquered Eriu (who was clinging to his capital). But that changed when the fire nation attacked. My shock-waving Virtue took down a bunch of White Centaurs in a kamikaze attack, the knights were a good solution to Pangaea's remaining raiders, while swordsmen and crossbows destroyed the bulk of the sacreds. Pangaea was smashed by the end of year two and I expanded to nearly forty provinces. I revived Bloody Mary and had her craft some winged shoes. By the end of year three I had yet to be invaded by anybody. If anything, my neighbours actively abetted my great victory; they were all too eager to be fed scraps from Marignon's table of conquest even as I ploughed unstoppably towards the thrones of ascension. I diplomanced a great coalition of myself, Eriu, Ashdod and R'lyeh to pummel Vanheim into the dust. Because they were the problem in need of a multi-national solution. Vanheim subsequently went berserk and attacked everything in sight, even nations that weren't attacking him (or even anywhere near Vanheim to begin with, such as Shinuyama). Fortunately, he directed most of his wrath at Eriu for whatever reason. Oh, Eriu. I was lucky enough to have Eriu act as a buffer for the entire game while I helped him miserably cling to existence.

All this nonsense helpfully allowed me to enact my master plan of throne victory as revealed to me by swaggy Troubadours. I had claimed one +2 throne and already had a High Inquisitor sitting on another +2 within my territory, waiting for the signal. The +3 Throne of Splendour was surrounded by Vanheim territory, and capturing that was the point of the previous exercise. The last +2 throne I needed was annoyingly claimed by Ashdod at the last moment, forcing me to revise my plan. It actually worked in my favour because he cleared out the province defence for me; so I decided that my tricked out cardinal would paradrop onto the Ashdod throne with winged boots and a horde of bat people to clear out his Rephaite prophet and province defence (whereas previously I would have had to telegraph my intentions with a slower army in order to beat the indies). Nobody expects the Marignon Inquisition to claim 7 points worth of thrones in a single turn and, by the time they realized the danger, it would be too late.

Ashdod became an irritation once more before the end. He cast Eyes of God and, like a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind, began gibbering with an air of unwelcome clarity about Marignon being "the real threat". He had seen too much. Bloody Mary cast Fate of Oedipus and plucked out the eyes of the offending mage, allowing me to move my Zotz into position for the final attack without detection. Ashdod scoffed at my supposed waste of 75 fire gems.

My batman swarm capping the last throne province

I almost forgot to mention that one other player made a vain if spirited attempt at thwarting my ambitions: R'lyeh, of all people, who had been quietly chilling in his pond for the entire game to the best of my knowledge. He sent hordes of madmen to assault several of my throne provinces after Ashdod had been warning everybody in IRC, presenting the only final turn threat-but-not-really:

I managed my research and economy a bit poorly; I pumped ridiculous amounts of gold into PD all across my empire out of paranoid fear of elves, thugs, or worse. I also sacrificed lots of turns of mage recruitment to pay for other things so my research could have been a lot higher.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread