Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It's always kinda shifty. You can track down the end of Gen X to either the DC implosion of 1978 (or some say the publication of Superman vs Mohammad Ali or even Contact with God). On the other end of the spectrum the Millennial Age may have begun as late as 1984, with the publication of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gen Y and Millennial should be separate classifications :colbert:
An original Star Wars movie came out the year of my birth. I don't have a smart phone. gently caress the millennium.

Lurdiak posted:

Well I mean, how long do you think a generation is? Cuz it's not 15 years.

If they got going early, I could've been the son of a character from Reality Bites and if I got going early, I could have potentially fathered one of those kids reacting to VHS tapes and Game Boys on Youtube. Boom!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 23, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gen Y and Millennial should be separate classifications :colbert:
I'm an old man defined by the 90's! I don't even have a smart phone!

Well I mean, how long do you think a generation is? Cuz it's not 15 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gen Y contributed nothing to history and so we closed them up early.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Gen Y contributed nothing to history and so we closed them up early.
Remember when it was also known as The Nintendo Generation? Or the MTV Generation?

Gen Y was just a lazy prebranding anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69nsT_WaIo

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What are some Marvel moments that take the piss out of the Punisher or straight up embarrass him? Stuff off the top of my head:

- That lame "lol Frank's gay" thing from Tieri's Wolverine run.
- Molly punching him in the gut in Runaways.
- Deadpool calling him out on being a one-dimensional relic in Uncanny X-Force.
- That scene during the Remender Punisher run where Spider-Man is magically forced to be in love with him.
- His death in Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness.
- That bit in Thunderbolts where his life is saved by being touched by an angel feather and rather than explain it, he just growls "I don't want to talk about it."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Daredevil taking a huge poo poo on the idea that people who didn't lose loved ones DON'T GET IT MAN during that spider-man/daredevil/punisher crossover from a few years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's the one where he tries to fight Spider-Man and is completely incapable of hurting him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
When Eminem beat him into submission while rapping.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil taking a huge poo poo on the idea that people who didn't lose loved ones DON'T GET IT MAN during that spider-man/daredevil/punisher crossover from a few years ago.

Also, "I see you're dating again."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

There's the one where he tries to fight Spider-Man and is completely incapable of hurting him.

Which, despite being a huge Punisher fan and advocate of his style, is still one of my top ten comic book moments ever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Just realized I forgot Frank vs. the Shockermobile.

I also seem to recall a bit where someone threw a grenade at Frank, but at the last second, Smart Hulk caught it and let it explode in his hands. Then he's all, "Shhhh. Don't say anything. I want to remember you just like this."

There's also the times Batman clowned him. No pun intended.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A few questions.

1) While having a general nerd debate last night, a friend of a friend said that per Marvel's stats, Hercules is stronger than the Hulk. I am sure there is an asterisk or two there somewhere; does anyone know anything about such a claim? Is it something like "Hercules has the highest natural super strength, unlike the Hulk who is a gamma mutant and gains strength through rage', or something in that vein? Has anyone heard anything about such a claim?

2) Earlier, the usual 'Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker' debate came up, and I pointed out the ultimate reason: it's fiction and hence whatever Batman does or does not do is more or less arbitrary. But while debating, I thought that if you managed to organically create a situation (likely very difficult) where there was no choice but to kill the Joker, there's no time to think of a third option or pull something out of a hat, and Joker's not playing his mind games 'You do it you're damned' card, and if not done many innocent people will die, I do think Batman could kill the Joker. My friend then added that if that did happen, Batman would then turn himself in for murder. I disagreed that that would ALWAYS be the end result.

So this is a general opinion question: Say Batman did kill the Joker, on the spot had to be made decision to save innocent lives, Joker is not helpless, it is clearly in self-defense and in the defense of others, and this was done so it didn't come off as contrived or forced. Would Batman turn himself in for murder, without a doubt, every time? I think if all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed, no, he wouldn't. It would hurt him a lot, but I think he'd ultimately conclude that being free to help others is more important than his own personal moral agony.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

A few questions.

1) While having a general nerd debate last night, a friend of a friend said that per Marvel's stats, Hercules is stronger than the Hulk. I am sure there is an asterisk or two there somewhere; does anyone know anything about such a claim? Is it something like "Hercules has the highest natural super strength, unlike the Hulk who is a gamma mutant and gains strength through rage', or something in that vein? Has anyone heard anything about such a claim?

That's horseshit. Hulk's entire thing is being the strongest one there is. Sure, there's technically some stronger dudes out there, but Herc isn't one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

That's horseshit. Hulk's entire thing is being the strongest one there is. Sure, there's technically some stronger dudes out there, but Herc isn't one.

The Hulk has an arbitrary, depending on the writer and who he's fighting base strength, and he gets stronger over time. The more pissed off he is, the more he's gonna smash. Basically, Hulk has the higher top speed but Herc has better acceleration.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh please, I could just post Venom knocking Superman around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The difference is that the Superman/Spider-Man crossover was a lovely comic, Batman vs the Hulk was awesome. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The Hulk has an arbitrary, depending on the writer and who he's fighting base strength, and he gets stronger over time. The more pissed off he is, the more he's gonna smash. Basically, Hulk has the higher top speed but Herc has better acceleration.

While I disagree about Hercules being stronger than him this is how I always understood Hulk's powers. If he's not the strongest there is in a given situation, given enough time + anger, he will be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think Herc could take him if Hulk is in a good mood, but if he's in a bad one the Incredible Hercules is very quickly going to become the Bloody Smear.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Herc is able to go one on one with Thor. Dude is a God and is equal to the hulk.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And since all paths down Hulk's emotional flowchart lead to Anger, his reaction to meeting someone stronger than himself will probably be getting super mad about it.

Hulk is the strongest one there is, and any conflicts with that are self-correcting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Squizzle posted:

And since all paths down Hulk's emotional flowchart lead to Anger, his reaction to meeting someone stronger than himself will probably be getting super mad about it.

Hulk is the strongest one there is, and any conflicts with that are self-correcting.
Yeah, Hulk's response to anything he's not strong enough to deal with is "get mad about that until yes I am strong enough".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Herc v Hulk has most often boiled down to a draw. Hulk is stronger, no doubt. But a lot of it boils down to circumstance given that Hulk's power levels may as well be dictated by a die roll given how consistent he is. Or isn't.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So this is a general opinion question: Say Batman did kill the Joker, on the spot had to be made decision to save innocent lives, Joker is not helpless, it is clearly in self-defense and in the defense of others, and this was done so it didn't come off as contrived or forced. Would Batman turn himself in for murder, without a doubt, every time? I think if all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed, no, he wouldn't. It would hurt him a lot, but I think he'd ultimately conclude that being free to help others is more important than his own personal moral agony.

Batman would turn himself in to Gordon directly, but it wouldn't matter, because no court would press charges, and no jury would convict. poo poo, everyone except maybe Harley would throw him a parade.

He'd still torture himself about it until Joker returned from the grave, but no one but Batman would care.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Absolutely nothing about that situation as presented is illegal anyway, unless he's turning himself in for operating as a dangerous out of control vigilante for years in a "it's time for you to stop me now" kind of way. Either way the crux would be all be personal drama.

[argues vehemently that Batman should kill his villains] [praises Jason Todd] [God-Emperor Superman for life] [unsolicited opinions on Israel???]

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Hulk's response to anything he's not strong enough to deal with is "get mad about that until yes I am strong enough".

Including many things you can't simply overpower, like the loving laws of physics at times.

Or the ability to see ghosts.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 25, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Herc is able to go one on one with Thor. Dude is a God and is equal to the hulk.

The last two times Herc and Thor traded blows Herc lost. He's almost always been depicted as weaker than Thor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Didn't Hulk get so angry once he punched through time? He can literally literally hit you so hard your grandpa gets hurt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman did actually beat the Joker to death months ago.
He came back from the fight with amnesia and Alfred let him live in ignorance as Bruce Wayne while the public thinks Bat and Joker killed each other.
With two issues to go in this run, he's just got some rebooted Batman memory back and has retaken the mantle, so we might get to see if the series ends with him being charged or turning himself in for it.
It'd be some note to go out on/dump on the next writer.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There's an Elseworlds called the Nail that's about a world where the Kents never came across Superman's rocket and he ended up being taken in by the Amish instead.

One of the subplots had the Joker get armed with some Kryptonian tech and he used it to horrifically murder Robin and Batgirl while forcing Batman to watch. Batman ended up getting free and killed the Joker on the spot. The Justice League was already looked down on by the public in a world without Superman, so this kill being caught by a news helicopter didn't do them any favors. Batman didn't turn himself in, but he was completely and utterly hosed in the head by the experience. Catwoman (who became Batwoman) ended up helping him through his issues and he was able to move on in the sequel when Robin's soul helped him out.

Then, while it's a dream within a non-canon comic, Injustice has its own take on it. During Year Three, there's a few issues where Injustice Superman is in a Black Mercy coma, seeing his fantasy. In it, he succeeded in saving Lois and Metropolis. As Batman drove Joker to Arkham, Joker joked about how he was going to just try again and Batman snapped his neck before turning himself in to the authorities. If he was convicted, he certainly wasn't behind bars for too long as shown years later.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

The last two times Herc and Thor traded blows Herc lost. He's almost always been depicted as weaker than Thor.

Thor's got Mjolnir, while Herc usually has nothing or maybe an adamantine mace which is not nearly as awesome.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

There's an Elseworlds called the Nail that's about a world where the Kents never came across Superman's rocket and he ended up being taken in by the Amish instead.

One of the subplots had the Joker get armed with some Kryptonian tech and he used it to horrifically murder Robin and Batgirl while forcing Batman to watch. Batman ended up getting free and killed the Joker on the spot. The Justice League was already looked down on by the public in a world without Superman, so this kill being caught by a news helicopter didn't do them any favors. Batman didn't turn himself in, but he was completely and utterly hosed in the head by the experience. Catwoman (who became Batwoman) ended up helping him through his issues and he was able to move on in the sequel when Robin's soul helped him out.

I'm fairly sure that in the end of the Nail, after the day has been saved where in the epilogue, the first thing Batman does is turn himself in to the police for murdering the Joker.
It says that Catwoman testified on his behalf and he's aquited, but left haunted by the experience.
And honestly, that seems like it's the right result.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Then, while it's a dream within a non-canon comic, Injustice has its own take on it. During Year Three, there's a few issues where Injustice Superman is in a Black Mercy coma, seeing his fantasy. In it, he succeeded in saving Lois and Metropolis. As Batman drove Joker to Arkham, Joker joked about how he was going to just try again and Batman snapped his neck before turning himself in to the authorities. If he was convicted, he certainly wasn't behind bars for too long as shown years later.

:unsmith:

That arc was...depressing. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...I don't think Superman's strength would work that way.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I can't find the panels right now, but there's a 70s Hulk issue - maybe the one where Wolverine shows up? - where Hulk is being poisoned by something in the area, and it's making him weaker. He punches a tree, and the tree doesn't smash, and it depresses him. "Tree not break! Hulk is not Hulk!" That always been my kind of shorthand for the character; it's really important to his sense of self that things break when he hits them, and he finds it traumatizing when that's not the case.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Okay I know Morrison leaves a lot open to interpretation, but I'm going to ask some dumb 7 Soldiers/ Final Crisis questions anyway and hope for the best.

- What is up with the Unknown Men in 7S, particularly their relationship with Slaughter Swamp and Solomon Grundy? I understand how the swamp and Grundy are all tied together by Sheeda blood but what's with that part at the end where the guy from DC is sewing someone (the reader?) up into something (Grundy's body?)?
- While I loved the idea of a team that doesn't know they're a team, most of them don't do much of significance. Also, it really plays up that the team was put together by the newspaper magnate, but he only influenced the Manhattan Guardian - not only that, but there were some members like Klarion that he could have had no possible way of knowing about. Is this explained somehow? I feel like it might have something to do with the magnate's childhood adventure gang encountering either the Sheeda or the Unknown Men in the past but the whole thing seemed a little shaky.
-Other than the Mister Miracle arc, are there any other references or tie-ins to FC?
-Also, are there other good Klarion books because that was my favorite arc (and the art was great)

-I can follow basically everything in FC that deals with Darkseid and it's one of my favorite metaphysics/multiverse stories, but...what the hell is up with Mandrakk? From my understanding the Monitors were once just a formless intelligence but got infected by "stories" from the Orrery, which splintered them into a race with names and personalities and time. Mandrakk like...eats the stories or something and grows powerful while he transforms entire worlds into static hellscapes without stories of their own. My two questions I guess boil down to 1) how does he tie into anything really, is he just chilling at the bottom of the Orrery in the Darkseid hole or what, and 2) why is he there at the end for the GL Corps to stake when Supes chumped him in the Superman Beyond issues with all the freaky 3D before Supes went back to Darkseid-earth? Or am I misremembering that?

Also if anyone can give a really quick explanation of the caveman/Metron stuff I'd appreciate it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Thor's got Mjolnir, while Herc usually has nothing or maybe an adamantine mace which is not nearly as awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

-Also, are there other good Klarion books because that was my favorite arc (and the art was great)
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=219647
This issue right here.

Ryoshi posted:

Also if anyone can give a really quick explanation of the caveman/Metron stuff I'd appreciate it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthro_(comics)#Final_Crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

That comic is one of the greatest single issues ever.

"A Thor-Herc clash you're not gonna believe - and neither do the people Herc's telling it to!"