Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
lol disaster recovery meetings

So we decided to dredge out the old unfinished business continuity document and have a meeting to bring it up to spec, director peaced out despite hogging the room making us wait 40 minutes to even start.

Discussions were had which basically boiled down to again me writing the thing, when everyone was ready to leave I dropped that there was a list of issues that would need to be dealt with to even begin to uphold this plan.

Among them was the fact we don't have proper backup Internet connectivity;

:v: "But don't we have that BT line?"
:eng101: "Well yeah but that's a 7mbps DSL line, it just wouldn't cut it"
:v: "So what's the problem?"
:eng101: "Well best practice would be to run two connections from different providers for redundancy"
:v: "But our provider has been pretty good right?"
:eng101: "And what if something knocks the connection dead? say the receiver dish on the roof gets destroyed because of severe weather?"
:v: "Ha ha ha you think of too many things that's just silly"
:eng99: "I'm just stating the facts, the importance of having a running business is up to you"

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

lol disaster recovery meetings

So we decided to dredge out the old unfinished business continuity document and have a meeting to bring it up to spec, director peaced out despite hogging the room making us wait 40 minutes to even start.

Discussions were had which basically boiled down to again me writing the thing, when everyone was ready to leave I dropped that there was a list of issues that would need to be dealt with to even begin to uphold this plan.

Among them was the fact we don't have proper backup Internet connectivity;

:v: "But don't we have that BT line?"
:eng101: "Well yeah but that's a 7mbps DSL line, it just wouldn't cut it"
:v: "So what's the problem?"
:eng101: "Well best practice would be to run two connections from different providers for redundancy"
:v: "But our provider has been pretty good right?"
:eng101: "And what if something knocks the connection dead? say the receiver dish on the roof gets destroyed because of severe weather?"
:v: "Ha ha ha you think of too many things that's just silly"
:eng99: "I'm just stating the facts, the importance of having a running business is up to you"

Where I'm currently at is small, our continuity has an acceptance of "insurance" at the time of payout rebuilding will be evaluated if not it was a good run.

Maybe its acceptable to be down when the ISP is down. Maybe its acceptable to rebuild using up to 2 week old data if a site is lost. Just because something is best practice doesn't mean the costs are always justified. If you take the risk and cost and weigh it against complete closure, complete closure may be rare enough that it's worth the risk.

I'm going to assume your at a bit larger of a place, get them to sign off on the risk. I have a draw full of CYA with signatures from the CEO and CFO depending on who signed off on the risk.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

"Trapped in I.T., Dick Trauma finds himself leaping from job to job, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next leap will be the leap home."

I started my job search this morning. :shepicide:

Dude you better be working on a big ol megapost to update us on what's been happening.

never leave us again :glomp:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I started my job search this morning. :shepicide:

There's a recent opening I've heard about but - do you have any experience in the broadcast industry? Knowledge of Buffalo NASes would be a bonus.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The CE Rises

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone who works here is having a live interview on some obscure cable channel that you can't livestream in 2 weeks.

"We need to set up conference room A so that everyone can watch Dave on the buttfuck channel"

We don't have cable TV

"We have cable internet!"

Well, we have fiber internet, from the cable company. But we don't have a TV box or anything to interface with that. We just pay for internet.

"WE NEED TO WATCH THIS"

And we also don't have any like...coax cable running to that part of the building. We just have fiber going to the one server room.

"OMFG EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS"

I'm going to see if the cable company can do something for us, otherwise I'm going to :filez: stream the channel or setup a slingbox at someones house. Are those still a thing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

Where I'm currently at is small, our continuity has an acceptance of "insurance" at the time of payout rebuilding will be evaluated if not it was a good run.

Maybe its acceptable to be down when the ISP is down. Maybe its acceptable to rebuild using up to 2 week old data if a site is lost. Just because something is best practice doesn't mean the costs are always justified. If you take the risk and cost and weigh it against complete closure, complete closure may be rare enough that it's worth the risk.

I'm going to assume your at a bit larger of a place, get them to sign off on the risk. I have a draw full of CYA with signatures from the CEO and CFO depending on who signed off on the risk.

Yeah for example one of our clients is in an office with about 20 people, they have laptops and all their work is in Google Drive and they use Google Apps and other cloud apps. Their business continuity plan is "stay at home, we will pick someone to get the phones diverted to". But the main thing is that they have this written down as a policy so nobody is having to figure out what to do should the worst happen.

There's literally no point trying to provide redundancy to their offices because there's nothing there that can't be provided equally as well anywhere else, although I will accept this is generally a luxury only afforded to smaller organisations. The great thing about tailoring your business continuity plan towards people working from home is that you actually start putting in the systems that allow people to work from home, so you can use them even if the office hasn't burnt down.

Bob Morales posted:

Someone who works here is having a live interview on some obscure cable channel that you can't livestream in 2 weeks.

"We need to set up conference room A so that everyone can watch Dave on the buttfuck channel"

We don't have cable TV

"We have cable internet!"

Well, we have fiber internet, from the cable company. But we don't have a TV box or anything to interface with that. We just pay for internet.

"WE NEED TO WATCH THIS"

And we also don't have any like...coax cable running to that part of the building. We just have fiber going to the one server room.

"OMFG EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS"

I'm going to see if the cable company can do something for us, otherwise I'm going to :filez: stream the channel or setup a slingbox at someones house. Are those still a thing?

It's time to pretend you know nothing about how TV signals work and the most you do is plugging a TV into a wall. Get in touch with a local AV company and get a quote, pass the quote along. Your work here is done.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 22, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Goddamn my job is jerking me around so much this week. I posted the above on Tuesday.

I came in Wednesday and was told that I actually was getting promoted up to the next level; still underpaid but a ~8-10% bump in pay and a position change. Additionally two deserving people on my team were getting the raises I argued for. Great, frustration went down a bit. I still don't want to stay here forever, but I can see sticking around for a little bit now. The only thing is, my boss doesn't know the timeline or the actual number value change that I'll be getting and will tell me tomorrow (which is now today).

WELL, today, I find out that the position change won't happen for another 7 months. :what: It's not even his fault, it's some HR policy that they can't get around (I have verified this for myself), so I'm not mad at him but I'm pretty much in the same place as I was before. :yotj:

Update - nothing much yet, except today my boss handed me the form that I'm pretty sure he's supposed to fill out wherein he (I) gives justification for why my position needs to be reclassified. I am to fill it out.

This is probably mostly because English is his second language and while it's a little weird, I'm pretty happy about this, because I'm going to write this up in such a way that the only logical position for me to be reclassified would be the one that I mentioned before, which is the one that matches my title - Help Desk Manager. Which pays 8k more than what they're suggesting I go up to, and 12k more than what I make now. $1000 a month before taxes would be very much appreciated.

I'm not going to try to slip anything by him, I'm just going to fill this out very accurately and once I give it to him, discuss why I believe I should be paid at a rate that matches my title, etc. If I still get a lot of push-back after this then yeah, I'm out of here before May or June if I had to guess.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Plugs into wall ==> IT's responsibility.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

stubblyhead posted:

Toilet plumbing ends up in the wall too, so I can confirm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm attempting to evaluate Intune for managing our users Windows 10 Pro laptops to decide if it combined with Azure AD join gives us enough control / ability to push nice things to machines or if we need to look into DirectAccess with 10 Enterprise and keep everything on the domain.

I cannot find a way to use the new Office 365-integrated control panel in Windows 10. It won't load in Chrome or Edge because it wants IE. If I use IE 11 it wants Silverlight, which is apparently already installed. What a piece of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well when you make jokes about being a computer janitor, it's just a matter of time before someone takes you seriously.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

stubblyhead posted:

You forgot, "Might be electrical or mechanical in nature."

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ynglaur posted:

You forgot, "Might be electrical or mechanical in nature."

At least that excludes us from biological entities...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
So far... :tinfoil:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pixaal posted:

Not so much larger but the business is basically a contact center which lives and dies on Telephones and E-mail, a lot of it is Cloud which can enable home working fairly well with the only exception being the file/exchange server etc. I suppose its only natural to blow off things you don't think will happen, either way it's not my business :shrug:

My eyebrow was raised when they mentioned something about an insurance policy for ransomware though.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
A lot of the businesses that I've helped through cryptowall variants have claimed my costs and other miscellaneous associated costs through their business insurance under their Blackmail/Extortion clauses. All that was needed by the insurance company was a police report and invoices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stubblyhead posted:

Last week I fixed:
Swingline stapler
Conference room table
A chair

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our firewall has been giving us a ton of alerts regarding DNS reputation and DNS sinkholes. The source kept showing up as our non-domain DNS server (which serves DNS and dhcp to phones and other devices users aren't using to access the internet). Nothing should be using this DNS server so we were baffled for a while why this thing keeps querying for known bad addresses in Israel.

I dove in to it today with packet captures and found the most bizarre setup: our firewall is set to resolve addresses for anything that gets logged, and uses the non-domain DNS server on the inside of the network. So when an attack hits the outside of the firewall it's logged, then sends a DNS request inside our network to figure out where the attack came from, which then bounces back to the firewall to query the root servers. Which creates the alert on the firewall for querying a known bad addresses space.

I asked senior admin if we can change this process to narrow down what gets queried, what generates alerts, or just set an external DNS server so it's not touching our inside network. He says it's fine the way it is and refuses to change anything.

5 more alerts came in this afternoon for this bullshit and I know we're going to miss something actually important in the noise.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Update - nothing much yet, except today my boss handed me the form that I'm pretty sure he's supposed to fill out wherein he (I) gives justification for why my position needs to be reclassified. I am to fill it out.

This is probably mostly because English is his second language and while it's a little weird, I'm pretty happy about this, because I'm going to write this up in such a way that the only logical position for me to be reclassified would be the one that I mentioned before, which is the one that matches my title - Help Desk Manager. Which pays 8k more than what they're suggesting I go up to, and 12k more than what I make now. $1000 a month before taxes would be very much appreciated.

I'm not going to try to slip anything by him, I'm just going to fill this out very accurately and once I give it to him, discuss why I believe I should be paid at a rate that matches my title, etc. If I still get a lot of push-back after this then yeah, I'm out of here before May or June if I had to guess.

Good luck :unsmith:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Last week I fixed:
Swingline stapler
Conference room table
A chair

What was wrong with the table?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Maybe it had only two legs?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm attempting to evaluate Intune for managing our users Windows 10 Pro laptops to decide if it combined with Azure AD join gives us enough control / ability to push nice things to machines or if we need to look into DirectAccess with 10 Enterprise and keep everything on the domain.

I cannot find a way to use the new Office 365-integrated control panel in Windows 10. It won't load in Chrome or Edge because it wants IE. If I use IE 11 it wants Silverlight, which is apparently already installed. What a piece of poo poo.

I don't have anything to add but I'm interested in your experience with AzureAD and Intune.
I really want it to be good but I sorta think it's gonna need 5 years before its usable as a legit replacement for onprem AD.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I have a colleague who is increasingly getting on my nerves. Hes an older DBA that has worked for several major companies, but he is getting kinda old and is nearing retirement.
Every time I suggest we look at building a more accessible knowledge base, he brings out the anecdotes from that time when he worked at some other bigger firm and they tried it there and it sucked.

Hes so loving adamant that all documentation should be in Word, even though one of our major problems with it, is that its so loving time consuming to update. At the same time he is using the argument against Wiki/CMS sites that you have to type in HTML(what?!), so using Word is easier!
It does not help that our ticketing software loving sucks at search in such a way that it is practically impossible to search for existing solutions, so we could really use something that is easier for our 1st level supporters to search through.

I try really hard keeping my respect for his, admittedly very long experience, but he is just getting way to old and conservative.
He has tried everything before, clearly nothing has really changed since then and because it didnt work why bother?!... Retire already! :argh:

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 23, 2016

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I have a colleague who is increasingly getting on my nerves. Hes an older DBA that has worked for several major companies, but he is getting kinda old and is nearing retirement.
Every time I suggest we look at building a more accessible knowledge base, he brings out the anecdotes from that time when he worked at some other bigger firm and they tried it there and it sucked.

Hes so loving adamant that all documentation should be in Word, even though one of our major problems with it, is that its so loving time consuming to update. At the same time he is using the argument against Wiki/CMS sites that you have to type in HTML(what?!), so using Word is easier!
It does not help that our ticketing software loving sucks at search in such a way that it is practically impossible to search for existing solutions, so we could really use something that is easier for our 1st level supporters to search through.

I try really hard keeping my respect for his, admittedly very long experience, but he is just getting way to old and conservative.
He has tried everything before, nothing has really changed since then and because it didnt work why bother?!... Retire already! :argh:

Could you try showing them a proof of concept? I grabbed a Bitnami stack of Dokuwiki and Mediawiki when we were looking at making a KB and had it running in a couple minutes on a Windows VM. I was then able to show off what documentation could look like and familiarize myself with the formatting before we settled on Mediawiki. Maybe old man DBA still won't go for it, but at least this way you tried.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Confluence lets you edit stuff in Word if that really matters

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Cactus Jack posted:

Could you try showing them a proof of concept? I grabbed a Bitnami stack of Dokuwiki and Mediawiki when we were looking at making a KB and had it running in a couple minutes on a Windows VM. I was then able to show off what documentation could look like and familiarize myself with the formatting before we settled on Mediawiki. Maybe old man DBA still won't go for it, but at least this way you tried.

Yeah thats probably what I end up doing. Its is just super frustrating constantly be argued against with outdated arguments from people with no will to learn.

Thanks Ants posted:

Confluence lets you edit stuff in Word if that really matters

And this will probably be one of the products I will look at. Cheers!

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 23, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Adobe update

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I made user accounts Friday for a new user that started yesterday, forgot about switching the name on the phone, met the user and realized they weren't going to last long so didn't both doing it unless someone complained. Got the papers today to disable all accounts. This position has been a rotating door since I got here. I have no idea what this position is even for. I don't get job titles just "copy from previous person" the permissions are all over the place from several departments.

I expected them to last until end of week, user was really slow at logging in, usually a sign that they aren't going to last long in that spot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

I made user accounts Friday for a new user that started yesterday, forgot about switching the name on the phone, met the user and realized they weren't going to last long so didn't both doing it unless someone complained. Got the papers today to disable all accounts. This position has been a rotating door since I got here. I have no idea what this position is even for. I don't get job titles just "copy from previous person" the permissions are all over the place from several departments.

I expected them to last until end of week, user was really slow at logging in, usually a sign that they aren't going to last long in that spot.

I got in big trouble at my hedge fund once, they fired a guy under pretty bad terms. They hired another guy a few weeks later, and I reused his extension. Their phones have a cell button, where you can hit it and then their extension on your sidecar and it calls their cel directly. Well, I left the cell of the guy they fired on the new guys reused extension. So the director of the hedge fund means to call the new guy, but calls the fired guy. The fired guy gets all excited since he thinks they are calling him to bring him back, but when the director realizes and tell the guy he misdialed, the fired guy flipped out and started yelling.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Owner of the company just called, asking how to make a route on MapQuest

IS THIS 2002

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Swink posted:

I don't have anything to add but I'm interested in your experience with AzureAD and Intune.
I really want it to be good but I sorta think it's gonna need 5 years before its usable as a legit replacement for onprem AD.

They're slowly kinda sorta getting there with Windows Azure AD Domain Services but as far as I can tell it only works for virtual servers running in the Azure VM cloud or something like that. Either way not a realistic replacement for on premises AD.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you, and was poking around with things last week. It's painfully obvious that Microsoft's cloud offerings are just way too immature for mainstream adoption unless you're either utterly immersed in the kool aid or a complete masochist. Maybe in five years things will be better, but given Microsoft's track record of not fixing terrible poo poo, I rather doubt it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

I'm in the exact same boat as you, and was poking around with things last week. It's painfully obvious that Microsoft's cloud offerings are just way too immature for mainstream adoption unless you're either utterly immersed in the kool aid or a complete masochist. Maybe in five years things will be better, but given Microsoft's track record of not fixing terrible poo poo, I rather doubt it.

Is there a posterboy for Azure like NetFlix for Amazon's service?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

IS THIS 2002

Step 1: Build a time machine

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:10bux: says they mean google maps, but since MapQuest was the first online map site they used, every mapping site is now a mapquest.

Similar to how some people will call their O365/gmail/whatever "my hotmail" because to them hotmail is just a term for email with a web interface.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

IS THIS 2002

Just tell him to hold on while you AltaVista it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:10bux: says they mean google maps, but since MapQuest was the first online map site they used, every mapping site is now a mapquest.

Similar to how some people will call their O365/gmail/whatever "my hotmail" because to them hotmail is just a term for email with a web interface.

Nintendo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Actually it was MapQuest. They googled something and a MapQuest link was the first hit :iiam:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm honestly surprised MapQuest is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a posterboy for Azure like NetFlix for Amazon's service?

PagerDuty uses Azure's Fresno location, but that's less "poster boy" and more "the only company I've heard using Azure that isn't Microsoft or spun off from Microsoft".