Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The way I'm viewing this season is that if we beat Carlton that is akin to us making the finals and if we beat Hawthorn we are the honorary premiers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The meltdown if we beat Carlton will be something to behold, that's for sure.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I'd also be pretty happy with beating Richmond in an ultimate Richmonding when they're up by 50 points at 3/4 time and losing means them getting 9th.

This year is basically a magical fictional year where I can sort of just make up my own plot to what's going on.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I want to be confident that the Saints wont lose to either the Dons or Carlton this year but I just can't do it. It should be a relatively easy 4 wins but I just feel like it's just setting myself up for disappointment.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hopefully this year we're just THAT side that fucks with other teams at the worst possible times and catches people napping to ruins finals chances etc. Sort of the AFL equivalent to the kid who got into the Daytona Racing game at TimeZone and drove the course in reverse purely to have head on collisions with the race leaders to ruin their game.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

thepokey posted:

Hopefully this year we're just THAT side that fucks with other teams at the worst possible times and catches people napping to ruins finals chances etc. Sort of the AFL equivalent to the kid who got into the Daytona Racing game at TimeZone and drove the course in reverse purely to have head on collisions with the race leaders to ruin their game.

Being that guy to geelong and Collingwood last year was kinda grand

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

Essendon is the kid who pulls the powercord as youre about to achieve victory and then tries to pretend it wasnt him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Essendon did that without even playing us, when they rolled over and stopped playing in the last round to give St Kilda a million point win and just enough percentage boost to jump us to 4th in 2008

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Essendon is the kid who pulls the powercord as youre about to achieve victory and then tries to pretend it wasnt him.

Only if that kid was explicitly told not to pull the power cord after the last time he pulled it

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Luke Hodge is over by the Mortal Kombat machine, hogging it and pulling fatalities on 8 year olds using up all their pocket money just to play a fun game.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Saints and Bulldogs are going at the claw grabber machine, jostling for front position.

Collingwood always shows up with an entire roll of those tickets. No one knows how.

Geelong doesnt have electricity and its too far to come.

The top 10 scoreboard on every machine has a big RIC at 9th place.

Melbourne already owns all the games on his NEO GEO he got for being really good at his skiing lessons.

Carlton has just sunk 50 bucks on Time Crisis 2 but just cant seem to get pass the second stage drat it.

North doesnt "believe in gaming"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Saints and Bulldogs are going at the claw grabber machine, jostling for front position.

Collingwood always shows up with an entire roll of those tickets. No one knows how.

Geelong doesnt have electricity and its too far to come.

The top 10 scoreboard on every machine has a big RIC at 9th place.

Melbourne already owns all the games on his NEO GEO he got for being really good at his skiing lessons.

Carlton has just sunk 50 bucks on Time Crisis 2 but just cant seem to get pass the second stage drat it.

North doesnt "believe in gaming"

:golfclap:

Gold Coast are all huddled around the House of the Dead game cheering on their one good player

Eagles are experts at Duck Hunt

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

:golfclap:

Gold Coast are all huddled around the House of the Dead game cheering on their one good player

We have more than one good player. What's that? Jaeger bought property in Melbourne? Well....poo poo.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Probably should have changed that to something like the TMNT arcade game where they're flying but as soon as GAJ's Leonardo gets killed the other players die immediately after.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

thepokey posted:

Probably should have changed that to something like the TMNT arcade game where they're flying but as soon as GAJ's Leonardo gets killed the other players die immediately after.

Is that the same game as the one where you fall down a man hole and it says "DUHHHH WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?"

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Top Scores:
ROSSDBOSS
LYONHRT
ILUVZAK

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Contract talks are off until next year - but Jesse Hogan's manager says he's still loyal.

Suicide watch begins now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TG-Chrono posted:

Contract talks are off until next year - but Jesse Hogan's manager says he's still loyal.

Suicide watch begins now.

RIP half the thread

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quick better look for every other player in the league with only two years left on their contract and write stories about it too

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Quick better look for every other player in the league with only two years left on their contract and write stories about it too

You're right, but the language is too easy to come across as PLEASEDONTLEAVEUS :cry:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Richmond struggling to explain how Vickery came off against Freo with concussion symptoms. Fair warning: the footage is bizarre and a bit disturbing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TG-Chrono posted:

You're right, but the language is too easy to come across as PLEASEDONTLEAVEUS :cry:

What do you honestly expect them to say? Saying nothing will get beaten up by the media massively. Having a sook about it is likely to make him pissed off with us.

I still believe Hogans decision will be by and large based on whether he believes he will see success at Melbourne or not. If we get ten wins and don't lose by a hundred points he might sign at the end of this year. If not, he will probably be fielding offers throughout next year and we would need to pull off something serious to keep him.

His manager would also be an idiot and bordering on professional negligence to allow the most talked about young player (in terms of contract status) to sign a contract now rather than waiting to see the new bargaining agreement at the end of the year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That is really loving concerning

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

well his opponent was noted Good Bloke alex silvagni

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Probably got a brain tumor or something

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I don't think that he has had a history of head injuries, only thing that I can think of it that he has a problem with his brain itself.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is really not cool, I hope they really check him properly before letting him back into full contact training.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

Apparently Richmond went back through the game and couldn't figure out what caused it

uncivil mittens
Nov 1, 2010
Fun Shoe

Just got distracted by the king of seagulls .

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

He's not smart enough to hide an incident from cameras, but you can understand why the Tigs asked Freo if something had happened they missed.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Luke Hodge has got some explaining to do I reckon

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
That's just bizarre. Tell Barry Hall that's what a real brainfade looks like.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
That looks awfully like a stroke. Aneurysm or embolism I reckon, hope they catch it before it does real damage

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

ZombieJesus posted:

That looks awfully like a stroke. Aneurysm or embolism I reckon, hope they catch it before it does real damage

That's what I'm terrified of, it reminds me of how Koschitze collapsed during an interview following his concussion.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Hopefully he's getting/has already gotten the appropriate scans just to be safe.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

You wonder at what point will mandatory helmets be discussed or even debated, not to say it will ever happen, but as the game grows, players are stronger and faster and perhaps more likely to injure one another. We still don't fully understand the true nature of concussions and they consequences of them, as each person may be different.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I might be totally wrong, but I always thought helmets were better at preventing broken bones than they were at stopping concussions.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'd be pretty happy if we at least got to a stage where I didn't feel like commentators would call a player a poof for choosing to wear a helmet

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

That's what I'm terrified of, it reminds me of how Koschitze collapsed during an interview following his concussion.

What was worse was the collapse happened like two months after it, well after symptoms should have disappeared.

Kosi was just never the same player after that.

Christo3 posted:

You wonder at what point will mandatory helmets be discussed or even debated, not to say it will ever happen, but as the game grows, players are stronger and faster and perhaps more likely to injure one another. We still don't fully understand the true nature of concussions and they consequences of them, as each person may be different.

Problem is that quite a few studies have shown that helmets have almost no benefits to preventing concussion, whilst also breeding a "culture" of putting your head in more dangerous positions. Kind of why the NFL has far bigger concussion issues then footy ever has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

I might be totally wrong, but I always thought helmets were better at preventing broken bones than they were at stopping concussions.

This is true. Concussions are injuries suffered by the brain rather than the skull, so you're effectively talking about the brain getting bounced off the inside of the skull. The amount of padding you would need to remove acceleration enough to fully eliminate it would be ridiculous. That being said, every bit helps, unless you start getting into the territory of players behaving more risking because they have a helmet than they otherwise would(this is a serious issue in NFL especially)

• Locked thread