Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

ALIEN D N A

Di-no DNA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this mean that future seasons will be rid of the conspiracy arc and just have awesome weekly adventures?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo sure has gotten convoluted throughout the years, huh?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I liked all of these until the Mushrooms one which I was entertained by but thought was terrible and this one that I just thought was straight up terrible

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like I don't know how you could think last week's was worst than this, where the only redeeming bit was Reyes turncoating to get that alien dna

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

cenotaph posted:

I was really rolling my eyes at "amplify my DNA."
PCR literally is used to amplify DNA, it was the most (only) plausible line in the entire episode.

I loving lost it at 'I NEED STEM CELLS!' though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think that UFO is going to take them to their son and its going to be a friendly alien.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
To arrive at this point for what could potentially be the real end of the series is actually kind of impressive in how little reliable information we really have about what the gently caress was going on for 9+ seasons.

So all that poo poo in Antarctica was just a government smoke screen? They abducted Scully and put her in a gigantic space ship full of crazy hybrid creatures, then let Mulder find her?

What's the deal with the black oil if its just 100% a government experiment, and not actually an alien entity? If the Syndicate invented it based on alien tech or some poo poo, then why did it infect a caveman hundreds of thousands of years ago?

AND SO ON....

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was dumb and bad.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
It's like chris carter got to the last episode and realised he hates the xfiles, so he wrote the best garbage he could in order to get it cancelled. First ep was okay, second ep was better, third hit it out of the park, fourth was okay for a motw, fifth had a bunch of great ideas which went nowhere and that sixth was indefensible crap.

I'll watch another season, but only to see how bad it can get.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who owns the rights to the actual series? Carter or Fox?

Is there any way we can get a Carter-less X-Files is what I'm getting at.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who owns the rights to the actual series? Carter or Fox?

Is there any way we can get a Carter-less X-Files is what I'm getting at.

I don't have a source handy but I've read multiple interviews where Duchovney says he'd only ever participate in the show if Carter(and Anderson) is involved. Without all three of them he's not interested, and I doubt its worth it for Fox to pay him enough to change his mind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress it, go full Next Generation then. I love Mulder and Scully but they've sleepwalked through this whole miniseries. The concept is still solid and I feel like a new batch of writers could do fantastic things with it. Have Wong and the Morgans head a new team and find a new Mulder and Scully duo. Except this time don't give them ridiculous names like Einstein.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't have a source handy but I've read multiple interviews where Duchovney says he'd only ever participate in the show if Carter(and Anderson) is involved. Without all three of them he's not interested, and I doubt its worth it for Fox to pay him enough to change his mind.

He can still produce the show while not writing episodes of it. He wrote exactly none of Millennium S2 and look how that turned out! Less harm that way, right? Right? :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Miller and Einstein aside, and I actually don't mind them that much, I'd be willing to give Next Generation X-files a shot. Make Skinner their boss, have them going up against the shambling re-animated corpse of Smoking Man, bring back Krycek somehow. It could work, at least in a fanservicey kinda way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The only episode I didn't like was the Muslim terrorist plot, and even then it was just that they made the terrorist stuff straightforwardly racist, Mulder's drug trip was awesome though.
The finale was cool and good. Also, Scully's computer at the beginning of the finale looked like it was running Win95 and that was funny as hell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i loved it....not so different from any of the other season finales

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

PBS Newshour posted:

I think that UFO is going to take them to their son and its going to be a friendly alien.

The UFO is their son.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slugworth posted:

PCR literally is used to amplify DNA, it was the most (only) plausible line in the entire episode.

Yeah, that was the only part that was actually remotely scientifically accurate.

The following part where they took the DNA and magically cooked it up into some kind of injectible serum is the part you should have issue with.

quote:

Also this.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Oh all right. It sounded like they were trying to power it up or something. Shows what I know!

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

raditts posted:

Yeah, that was the only part that was actually remotely scientifically accurate.

The following part where they took the DNA and magically cooked it up into some kind of injectible serum is the part you should have issue with.

A global conspricacy 50+ years in the making was undone in 15 minutes right before d-day by a clear saline solution she made in an infected hospital.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Miller and Einstein aside, and I actually don't mind them that much, I'd be willing to give Next Generation X-files a shot. Make Skinner their boss, have them going up against the shambling re-animated corpse of Smoking Man, bring back Krycek somehow. It could work, at least in a fanservicey kinda way.

Gen X Files. Followed by Millennial, starring a kid who sort of looks like Lance Henrikson.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Amazing. That one episode probably had as much plot, exposition and consequences as the whole original alien colonisation arc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pissed that they were just like "gently caress it lets bring back CSM", but they didn't do the same for Krycek. I always loved the intense visceral hatred he always inspired in Mulder and Skinner.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Bunch of baby whiners in this thread. So much hyperbole. It wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. gently caress goons and their need to one up each other over how much they have a hate boner for something more than anyone else.

I'm hoping that if this comes back there's a massive change in status quo. So many sick from the virus and an alien ship just popping in above a pretty populated area has got to count for something.

For a finale, I'm a little sad that Mulder's part amounted to being practically comatose for most if it. No matter what the outcome, though, I'm happy it came back just for Mulder and Scully meet the Were-Monster.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Gen X Files. Followed by Millennial, starring a kid who sort of looks like Lance Henrikson.

How old would the kid who played his daughter be now?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

How old would the kid who played his daughter be now?

25, apparently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

25, apparently.

Perfect for a young FBI agent. William Mulder II and Agent Black should team up.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I really like episodes that are "realistic" in that there isn't any supernatural force\creature as a central plot element. That one comes to mind where that pervy inmate seems to know a lot about mulder's sister and mulder tricks him into describing the abduction in the wrong house. I think he ends up on a schoolbus or something and gets shot? The guy was basically just a creepy psychopath who was really good at manipulating people, and he just knew a lot about Mulder. There wasn't anything supernatural in that episode and I remember really liking it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relayer posted:

I really like episodes that are "realistic" in that there isn't any supernatural force\creature as a central plot element. That one comes to mind where that pervy inmate seems to know a lot about mulder's sister and mulder tricks him into describing the abduction in the wrong house. I think he ends up on a schoolbus or something and gets shot? The guy was basically just a creepy psychopath who was really good at manipulating people, and he just knew a lot about Mulder. There wasn't anything supernatural in that episode and I remember really liking it.

It's implied in that episode that the bad guy was (maybe subconsciously) reading Mulder's mind when he slept and picked up the information there.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The finale did a 2.4 in the demo. Fox will undoubtedly want to make more, however you feel about that. Just depends on when Duchovny, Anderson, and (ugh) Carter want to do it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Perfect for a young FBI agent. William Mulder II and Agent Black should team up.

I would so be down for a Millennium revival with Jordan picking up the pieces that Frank left her. As long as they ignore season 3 existed.

A reminder of how gorgeous Millennium's title theme was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mortanis posted:

Bunch of baby whiners in this thread. So much hyperbole. It wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. gently caress goons and their need to one up each other over how much they have a hate boner for something more than anyone else.
Fandom.txt, pretty much. That's the thing about this revival - the show's not all that markedly different, but the internet environment surrounding fandoms has gotten incredibly entitled and pissy about literally everything. Other than the straight-forward 24 Muslim terrorist plot I thought it was a solid mini-season and it was fun seeing the actors return to form. Obviously Carter is one of the weaker writers and I'd rather see Vince Gilligan and Frank Spotnitz back, but it's nowhere near the EYE RAPE that everyone makes it out to be.

Relayer posted:

Paper Hearts. The killer was played by Tom Noonan, who is great. He's on the 12 Monkeys series now, which is a really cool show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So why did CSM choose Reyes? Just because they both smoked?

Also, what was the deal with the alien graffiti that Tad O'Malley talked about being spray painted in neighborhoods being targeted? Is that actually a piece of InfoWars type paranoia in the real world? It was one of the few things I didn't recognize as "actually" existing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ehh, there was some things way different from the original series, when it comes to like just how it looked and kinda production in that area, but most of the complaints I have heard haven't been about that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Actually the usenet and internet xfiles fan groups were a bunch of crazy people back in the original series too

Also the finale sucked

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also like where does the world of X Files go from here? Like that UFO was seen by a lot of people and everyone in the world was getting sick murdered.

If they want to do another miniseries, and they're setting up Agent Einstein and Faux Mulder like what is their plan cause things have gone really off the rails.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

Ehh, there was some things way different from the original series, when it comes to like just how it looked and kinda production in that area, but most of the complaints I have heard haven't been about that.

The things that are wrong with these new episodes were also present in the original series to varying degrees depending on the season. This was just all that same poo poo but to the extreme, everything wrong with the X-files in pure concentrated form.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Im curious what the post-9/11 delta green revival will be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PBS Newshour posted:

Also like where does the world of X Files go from here? Like that UFO was seen by a lot of people and everyone in the world was getting sick murdered.

If they want to do another miniseries, and they're setting up Agent Einstein and Faux Mulder like what is their plan cause things have gone really off the rails.

Planet-class MIB neuralizer.

• Locked thread