Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Fixed my port forwarding, and got multiplayer working. There was an extra firewall loving things up, that I didn't know about because it was supposed to be disabled (but it had somehow gotten reset to default settings)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Glad to hear it. Hope y'all have fun!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just started playing this game a little while ago. After a few false starts I got a decent game where I was only a little ways behind 2 of the 3 other AIs, and well ahead of the third. A little after getting one of my planets up to 3rd level, both of the big AIs declared war on me. I hadn't even done anything aggressive and they've refused several peace treaties. What causes them to declare war on me, how can I avoid it, and is there anything I can do to make peace with them now? I'm barely managing to not lose, but fighting two similar sized enemies that probably won't last long. Honestly, the Oko alone could be wiping the floor with me if they'd just commit their 600k super ship to crushing my planets one at a time. It's got 100 more strength than anything I have but it seems content to travel around randomly wrecking anything it stumbles over.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Be careful with treating Strength as an exact measure for how powerful a fleet is - that number can be wildly overinflated or underinflated depending on what your side commits to the fight and the match up of the components between them. Strength only looks at the DPS and size/health of a fleet, mainly. Oko ships in particular are a little tougher than their Strength suggests because you have to destroy all the Sinew on the ship before it's destroyed - they're much hardier than most other fleets.

As for the AIs: They're built less to emulate the races they're governing lore-wise and more to emulate a competent player who's playing to win. Their aggression is broadly represented in the 'mask' by their portrait; you can gain some insight on which ones are applying in your situation by hovering over that mask in the Diplomacy tab.

Factors which will increase their aggression and possibly lead to war:
* Do you share a border?
* How strong are your forces versus theirs?
* Are there resources in your Empire's territory the AI needs to be able to further develop their planets?
* How full is the AI's interior space?
* Does the AI know where you are?

Do mind that the AI has been instructed to turn its nose up to constantly repeated treaties to ward against people who're trying to just 'roll the dice' over and over. Give each of your propositions to them a few minutes between them if you want to ensure that it doesn't start ignoring you. There's a % chance they'll accept your proposal and that % is built off their estimation of how costly a war with you would be versus your combined military strengths and their present position of power in the galaxy.

If the AI's not going after specific worlds in your territory, it sounds like it's just being a bully to keep your Empire beneath it. If you want to 'shock' that AI into considering peace I'd recommend either disrupting some of their economic linchpins or blowing up their largest fleet.

Do note that surrendering is a distinct option, if you're not too proud for it. Unlike in most games, in SR2 when you surrender you become a subjugate of that Empire - all this means is you're locked into a permanent peace treaty with them and their enemies become yours. Also, if they lose the game so do you. This is called 'vassalization' and is a pretty legitimate strategy to win the game through military force. The last Empire to fall or be subjugated in such a game is the 'loser' - everybody else achieves varying levels of victory.

Hopefully all this information puts you in a much better position to rule the stars!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 18, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thank you! That was really helpful. I'd seen the relationship masks but hadn't really grasped what they were good for. They were seeing me as a nuisance until I won a couple of battles and I guess that's why they weren't willing to peace out.

Static defenses seem really powerful. I managed to kill the 60k Oko superships because they'd attack my fixed defenses and then I'd jump all of my tiny capitol ships in around them and just swarm them. Sometimes they'd crush my outposts; maul one or more of my cap ships; and and then wander off but if I had a really big batch of defenses from an outpost and planet using defenses being next to each other the Oko ships would run out of supplies before killing all the fixed defenders and then they'd be easy prey for my much smaller ships.

This was my fourth game and I'm happy I finally managed to pull out a win. I really think that if the AI had settled in and focused on taking my planets one at a time they could have crushed me. They took so long though that I was able to whittle them down.

Everyone posts about how awesome fling gates are, but I don't think I'd have been able to pull off the hit and run tactics that let me survive without the hyperdrive. They're were a lot of fights I only survived by hypering out of. And without the flexibility of every ship having its own FTL drive I'd never have been able to both concentrate forces and make nuisance attacks to partially compensate for the planets I was losing. I'm still looking forward to trying out crazy fling gate shenanigans in my next game, but I see now why hyperdrives are the newbie FTL mechanism.

I got the Revenant Ship and it was pretty cool. It not having an FTL drive but being way stronger than anything else I could field made for an interesting experience. It really changed the way I approached prosecuting the war. It was really cool looking and felt every bit as powerful as advertised.

Once I realized I was starting to win I tried my hand at making a ridiculous 100 size support ship that was all railgun with a tiny bit of engine. I don't think they were very effective - I watched them fight for a couple of minutes and even with 13 of them in the fleet I don't think they ever actually hit any of the static defenders around the planet I sent them against. Leastwise none of the blue dots hit the enemy ship models. The railgun description says they're inaccurate, but wow, that's pretty poor accuracy. The swarm of guard ships that were mostly armor with a tiny missile launcher on the side seemed much more effective.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I might pick this up, your sale price is very reasonable!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Yeah, BMS has always been great about their price points, and a bunch of other stuff as well. Haven't played SR2 in a dog's age, due to school and other games, but I'm sure the expansion will pull me back in.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there any way to have the savegames save the state of the UI? It's slightly annoying to have to change the same stuff every time I load up a game.

Also, any chance of this bug getting fixed? https://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/discussions/0/617335934135549729/

To reproduce it, just order a ship with a big support fleet to move to another solar system using non-FTL engines. Save when it's halfway there and when you load that save the support ships will get scattered across the galaxy.

Can the AI use Titan hulls (size 512) by the way? I'm guessing not, since I've never seen it and the random ship generator refuses to make anything larger than size 128. At what point does it make sense to switch to titan hulls instead of scaling up regular ships anyway?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Lucas is looking in to saving the state of the UI, yes.

As for your reported bug, we'll take another look.

AI can't use Titan hulls presently, no. You should switch to Titan hulls when you want more interior space or are building very large ships.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I just picked this game up during the Steam Sale because I enjoyed Star Ruler 1 despite finding it completely obtuse. Is this game more or less impenetrable than SR1?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

A little less, because there's more GUI icons and less text menus; but still pretty impenetrable.

It's fun to play with, though. Try making some ships for the Oko, I found that to be a very fun exercise.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

I just picked this game up during the Steam Sale because I enjoyed Star Ruler 1 despite finding it completely obtuse. Is this game more or less impenetrable than SR1?

It's a lost easier to understand than SR1, but both games have systems that a divergent from the traditional 4X, mainly because there aren't a lot of upper limits. I personally still have problems trying to scale my growth against military strengths, but that's very much my own problem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hav posted:

It's a lost easier to understand than SR1, but both games have systems that a divergent from the traditional 4X, mainly because there aren't a lot of upper limits. I personally still have problems trying to scale my growth against military strengths, but that's very much my own problem.

I felt like building one or two shipyards and exporting planetary labor to them whenever I could helped a lot in getting a fleet started.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Here I was happy about us making a few sales over the holiday.
It was looking like we might've been able to get beyond what we even calculated was possible at this stage.

But now a massive amount of private info. was made public by accident, the Store's down now (even the dev backend), and Steam's said nothing as of yet.

Just can't catch a break, I suppose.

Sorry for the OT-ness - just wanted to say thanks for all of y'all who tossed your hat into the ring. We'll try to make each of those dollars count.
I'm hoping the Store will only be down for a short period of time but I can't imagine this won't seriously harm interest in the current winter sale.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:argh: Hope that you get proven wrong! And get many, many sales in the process!

It does seem to be back, alittle shakey but back none the less.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It does indeed seem to be back. Amazingly, or at least so far, the sales have returned at the rate they were last at.

I'll just go ahead and assume that's y'all's handiwork haha.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm delving into the game and it looks great, but I do have some questions;

Is there a guide anywhere on how to create and implement custom races and portraits? Google gives me nothing helpful.

Now that I've got SR2, is SR1 distinct enough to warrant going back to now and then? I never really grasped it fully and it was so long ago I cannot remember anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

So I'm delving into the game and it looks great, but I do have some questions;

Is there a guide anywhere on how to create and implement custom races and portraits? Google gives me nothing helpful.

Now that I've got SR2, is SR1 distinct enough to warrant going back to now and then? I never really grasped it fully and it was so long ago I cannot remember anymore.

SR1 has the weird distinction of allowing ever greater universes depending on your PC's power. So in a way it's future proof until we get computers who can't work with the code anymore. Like what happened with an old strategy game I had on my old Windows 98-PC, it's 16bit-structure was incompatible to everything above Windows 98, so it stopped working as soon as I upgraded to XP.

As long as that's not an issue and you can get it run, a better computer basically allows a larger universe. So Star Ruler 1 works as a nice experiment to see how far you can go every time you upgrade your computer. 10k stars? 100 million ships? The sky is the limit. :v:

Edit:

Also I too would like to now how to create and implement custom races and portraits in SR2. I'm addicted to making up fake space people since Space Empires V. That game went so far overboard with customization, it was like it was made by writers instead of programmers. It also spoiled me forever and no other game came close in that aspect ever since then. (Distant Worlds came close, but it's weird way of implementing custom poo poo as mods was always confusing as gently caress for me.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 28, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Libluini posted:

Also I too would like to now how to create and implement custom races and portraits in SR2. I'm addicted to making up fake space people since Space Empires V. That game went so far overboard with customization, it was like it was made by writers instead of programmers. It also spoiled me forever and no other game came close in that aspect ever since then. (Distant Worlds came close, but it's weird way of implementing custom poo poo as mods was always confusing as gently caress for me.)

I, too, love Space Empires but preferred 4 over 5. I felt 5 pulled an MoO3, but then it's been years so maybe I should go back and give it a second chance.

Actually speaking of adding custom races, GalCiv3 implements it quite well, and I've made like three or four custom dudes after I learned out how to use paint.net to create transparency.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 28, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

I, too, love Space Empires but preferred 4 over 5. I felt 5 pulled an MoO3, but then it's been years so maybe I should go back and give it a second chance.

That's quite apt, since I also love MO3. :v:

On the other hand, the devs spend a long time (and dozens of patches) on making SEV playable, so it certainly got better over time. And there has literally no space game before or after with that level of customization.

The one drawback SEV has and which makes me generally just restart a fresh game after a while, is the bad AI. Seriously, it's bad. Even with mods, the AI just changes from "baby-like, with no personality" to "No personality".

There's nothing as depressing as spending hours on making the perfect space enemies for your space pokémon, just to suddenly get five identical responses from your five enemies and realize, the AI has the personality of starch.

SEV can be nice if you're content with just setting up deranged scenarious with your own races, but the bad AI just saps your motivation after a while.

GGLucas
Feb 12, 2014

It's not a shill account if I paid 40gp for it, right?

Libluini posted:

SR1 has the weird distinction of allowing ever greater universes depending on your PC's power.

To be fair, SR2's engine does work the same way, but we designed the gameplay to be a little less spammy, so playing a 10,000 system universe is probably not realistic since you can't just spam waves of 1000 colonizers.

Libluini posted:

Also I too would like to now how to create and implement custom races and portraits in SR2.

If you drop .png format portrait files into the data/images/empires/portraits/ folder you will be able to select them in game after a restart. There's also a couple of mods that add more portraits.

If you want to add an entirely new race to the main selector instead of just using "Customize Race" every time, you can do it with some modding as well, but it requires some extra steps. You might want to look at how existing steam workshop mods that add races do it, or take a look in the data/empires/presets.txt file.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

GGLucas posted:

To be fair, SR2's engine does work the same way, but we designed the gameplay to be a little less spammy, so playing a 10,000 system universe is probably not realistic since you can't just spam waves of 1000 colonizers.

If you drop .png format portrait files into the data/images/empires/portraits/ folder you will be able to select them in game after a restart. There's also a couple of mods that add more portraits.

If you want to add an entirely new race to the main selector instead of just using "Customize Race" every time, you can do it with some modding as well, but it requires some extra steps. You might want to look at how existing steam workshop mods that add races do it, or take a look in the data/empires/presets.txt file.

Excellent, I'll have to give that a shot. Playing this game is making me think back to the Anno series, with its need to balance resource chains to keep populations leveled and happy. It all feels very... fluid? for lack of a better word. I imagine it'll be almost relaxing when you're not embroiled in Galactic Politics and 3-front wars.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks. We're glad you're enjoying the game. Hope you'll stick around for the expansion!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firgof posted:

Thanks. We're glad you're enjoying the game. Hope you'll stick around for the expansion!

Eagerly awaited! Right now I'm playing on small peaceful galaxies while I learn proper colony and budget management techniques. Not to mention what buildings to build, where, and when. I am in debt more often than not.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Firgof posted:

Here I was happy about us making a few sales over the holiday.
It was looking like we might've been able to get beyond what we even calculated was possible at this stage.

But now a massive amount of private info. was made public by accident, the Store's down now (even the dev backend), and Steam's said nothing as of yet.

Just can't catch a break, I suppose.

Sorry for the OT-ness - just wanted to say thanks for all of y'all who tossed your hat into the ring. We'll try to make each of those dollars count.
I'm hoping the Store will only be down for a short period of time but I can't imagine this won't seriously harm interest in the current winter sale.

I got in on this during the sale as well.

Finding it a lot more accessible than SR1 (that might also be because I finally beat my head against Distant Worlds enough times that I can finally play games of that reasonably well, and drat near anything is less obtuse than DW), and none of the core game systems you've implemented seem "weaker" than the others - really interesting to play a game where diplomacy has serious bite behind it, and the way you handle monetary income/spending is a nice change, too. Glad to hear you've been seeing higher sales than expected!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Is there any way to control or direct your vassals? I'm in a prolonged game against some AI and my vassal is pretty worthless, unfortunately I cannot kill him or take his planets.I suppose real people could just be told "Abandon that planet in the name of your emperor" but I do wish there was a formal way to force the issue.

Incidentally, the AI I am currently at war with, despite losing the war pretty handily, keeps sending me demands for surrender. Every 15 minutes they serve me another demand for my surrender, even though they're losing systems at a steady pace to my fleets. No, assholes, I don't think I will surrender. Their military is pretty strong, but I think they're busy in the other galaxy waging war against the last remaining AI.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm having a hard time following resource assignments. On a level 5 world, with multiple mining sources, I find it hard to see what (if anything) is surplus. Am I missing something obvious?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Rhjamiz posted:

Is there any way to control or direct your vassals? I'm in a prolonged game against some AI and my vassal is pretty worthless, unfortunately I cannot kill him or take his planets.I suppose real people could just be told "Abandon that planet in the name of your emperor" but I do wish there was a formal way to force the issue.

Incidentally, the AI I am currently at war with, despite losing the war pretty handily, keeps sending me demands for surrender. Every 15 minutes they serve me another demand for my surrender, even though they're losing systems at a steady pace to my fleets. No, assholes, I don't think I will surrender. Their military is pretty strong, but I think they're busy in the other galaxy waging war against the last remaining AI.

Yes. Vassals and Masters played by the AI both respond to the 'Ping' command. If you ping a location on the map it'll draw the AI's attention to it. If there are enemies, it'll consider sending warships, etc. A normal ping will get their attention at their normal processing intervals. That's kind of like your 'heads up' or 'keep this in mind'. If you do an important ping (it has a harsher, shriller tone to it and has more rings) it'll immediately look over and see what you want. Beware, though, that the AI will ignore you if you ping things rapidly and incessantly. Try to keep below 5 pings every 5 minutes or so. (You can find the Keybind for 'ping' listed in your key bindings)

The AI demanding your surrender sounds like they feel very confident that they can take on and destroy your Empire - and they also feel like they're in a good position to win the game after beating up the other AI you've mentioned.
If you surrender to them and the other AI gets kicked out of the game, would they win?

quote:

Am I missing something obvious?
I don't believe so. The Planets tab may prove useful to you - but you'll need to know what a L5 needs in order to know what you can safely take away.
Anything that's a Level 0 Resource is automatically surplus though, excepting Food and Water for most races.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 2, 2016

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Mokotow posted:

I'm having a hard time following resource assignments. On a level 5 world, with multiple mining sources, I find it hard to see what (if anything) is surplus. Am I missing something obvious?

As long as a planet has free pressure capacity (based on population) and free building space on the ground map, you can add imports to increase its production of money/energy/research etc. The system is rather dynamic with fluctuating populations and resources that affect both population and pressure capacity, therefore I think it would be pretty hard for the game to tell you what is "surplus".
If you want the planet to have only the minimum resources to get it to lvl 5, I guess you could probably stop all imports and then re-establish only the imports it actually needs to level. It takes a while for a planet to downgrade its level after it loses access to resources. Or you could remove imports until it starts complaining that it's missing something needed to maintain its level.
There's really no downside to having "surplus" resources on a planet as long as it isn't out of pressure capacity or building space, at least until you colonize some planets that get a specific bonus to i.e. energy generation, then you're better off moving all spare energy resources to that planet until it hits pressure capacity.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firgof posted:

Yes. Vassals and Masters played by the AI both respond to the 'Ping' command. If you ping a location on the map it'll draw the AI's attention to it. If there are enemies, it'll consider sending warships, etc. A normal ping will get their attention at their normal processing intervals. That's kind of like your 'heads up' or 'keep this in mind'. If you do an important ping (it has a harsher, shriller tone to it and has more rings) it'll immediately look over and see what you want. Beware, though, that the AI will ignore you if you ping things rapidly and incessantly. Try to keep below 5 pings every 5 minutes or so. (You can find the Keybind for 'ping' listed in your key bindings)

The AI demanding your surrender sounds like they feel very confident that they can take on and destroy your Empire - and they also feel like they're in a good position to win the game after beating up the other AI you've mentioned.
If you surrender to them and the other AI gets kicked out of the game, would they win?

That is pretty fascinating. I had no idea this was a thing! And yes, right now it's a war between The Rebels and their Vassels, the Other Empire and THEIR vassals, and me and my vassal. If the OE dies and I surrender, they do indeed win. But for all their military might they seem to be distracted and allowing me to swallow up whole systems. Probably also they're hurting from when I snagged their capital.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Has anyone played with the Hive mod on the workshop? I love the idea of bug-race lifestyles but after toying with it, it feels rather unbalanced. But I'm not sure if that's just me.

That's what I am probably looking forward to the most in the expansion; more Life and FTL styles. Oh, and ship models. Unless you guys are putting in things I wouldn't even think to want.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhjamiz posted:

Has anyone played with the Hive mod on the workshop? I love the idea of bug-race lifestyles but after toying with it, it feels rather unbalanced. But I'm not sure if that's just me.

______________________^

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thinking about redrawing the portraits with much higher resolutions and my present art techs so that they don't look superblurry at high resolution.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Firgof posted:

Thinking about redrawing the portraits with much higher resolutions and my present art techs so that they don't look superblurry at high resolution.

Clothed, too!

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET

Firgof posted:

Yes! This would be awesome.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
While I try and get myself up to speed to see if the boss'll approve some of my redesigns, I've also been busying myself with new race portraits.

[Not final design]

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Friendly looking!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

This kind of looks like a guy in a loose-fitting jacket kneeling down, facing away from the camera.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
A super secret sneak peak at the upcoming expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

What's the general time frame for the expansion, weeks, months?

• Locked thread